PDA

View Full Version : Is Tony Gonzalez hampering?

falcon_91
27.11.2009, 12:55 AM
The Falcons passing offense/Matt Ryans progression

For:
Ryan almost depends too much on him when things breaks down
Not spreading the ball to Roddy and Jenkins as much as last year, who when called upon made the key catches when needed

Against:
Its Tony Gonzalez
Higher overall production

discuss

towen5
27.11.2009, 03:01 AM
Definitely not, the going to him when it breaks down is what hes there for. Its definitely a Matt Ryan issue as to any faultering in the offense and comes down to playing mistake free football.

falcon_91
27.11.2009, 06:27 PM
What i mean is, is Ryan relying on him too much which is taking away from the effectiveness of our WRs

towen5
27.11.2009, 06:32 PM
What i mean is, is Ryan relying on him too much which is taking away from the effectiveness of our WRs

that could only be the case if the WR's were performing well when they were getting the ball. Which i personally dont think they are. White is very on/off this year and ive seen the dropsies creeping back in. Jenkins could have won the game at the weekend but dropped the ball in the endzone.

I guess you could argue that they arent getting as many balls thrown their way and therefore the chances of the ones they do get being dropped or missed is higher. But i think the change of throwing what would have been to White/Jenkins etc to Gonzo means the chances of it being caught goes up and the team profits from it.

Steve_Killman
01.12.2009, 05:08 PM
I'd like to see Roddy and Jenkins get the ball more.

Once they're in the groove they'll be great.
Shame the season is more than half done.

towen5
01.12.2009, 07:15 PM
I'd like to see Roddy and Jenkins get the ball more.

Once they're in the groove they'll be great.
Shame the season is more than half done.

They havent been receiving the ball less:

White/Jenkins -
08 - 8.6 receptions a game
09 - 8.6 receptions a game

Jenkins -

08 - 3.1 r/game
09 - 3.6 r/game

White -

08 - 5.5 r/game
09 - 5 r/game

As you can see this season as a combination theyve had the exact same number of completions. Obviously, this isnt the same as thrown too but its a good indication they havent suffered as a result of Gonzo.