PDA

View Full Version : Clinton Portis

RickySanders
08.12.2009, 03:45 PM
He has been one of my Favourite Redskins since he signed in 2004. With the problems of last season, the disputes with Zorn, the calling out of Sellers etc, do you think its time we went in another direction at this postion?

RickySanders
08.12.2009, 03:47 PM
I'm afraid I believe so anyway.

Gman84
08.12.2009, 05:10 PM
Zorn will be gone so that's not an issue, I don't particularly want him back but I think he will be back given the amount of guaranteed money he has in his contract and the fact he has Snyder's ear.

wullie
08.12.2009, 10:10 PM
If its somehow possible to guarentee 16 games out of him in 2010 I say have him back for next year....Its one less position to worry about for that year - it allows the OL and QB areas to be focused on (and from a personal note what better for a rookie QB than to have a fit CP in the backfield?)

Then with the 2011 draft address the RB needs (as Betts is looking more injury prone too, Rock is getting on etc...etc....). In the next 3 years we need at least 2 quality backs.

But if CP isnt fit - bye bye

wuds100
08.12.2009, 10:44 PM
Well Cerrato wants him back next year.

http://www.nfl.com/news/story?id=09000d5d814d1469&template=with-video-with-comments&confirm=true

citizenstu
09.12.2009, 11:40 AM
Of course Cerrato wants him back - probably for the same reason Cerrato prefers to draft offensive "skill" positions high up rather than bolstering the ailing OL.

I liked Portis a few years ago and there's a big chunk of me that still wants to like him but....

Offensively we've been playing much better the last few weeks with a patched up OL. 2 major changes have happened. Portis isn't around and the playcalling has changed. OK, we haven't leant on the run game massively the last few weeks but it'd be great to get Portis back for a couple of games and see if the O continues to perform or reverts back to that of Zorn playcalling days.

fugitive
09.12.2009, 12:30 PM
I've never made it a secret that I'm no fan of Portis.

I'm happy to see him go.

my_friend_goo
09.12.2009, 01:11 PM
He's been shown up by his backups this year. Barring any dramatic career resurrection, I think he's gone. He's kind of worn out his welcome, although I can't really be down on him too much - he did at times carry the team with his running and will thank him for what he did do. We could always debate would any other back have achieved the same or better, but seeing as he's who we went with it's pointless, really.

steblin
09.12.2009, 03:14 PM
CP is a character, and not always in a bad way, and he has run very hard for us while he has been here, the amount of carries he's had is impressive. However I think that started to show on him last year, and even more this year.
Watching kids like Ganther running north / south highlighted even more how almost hesitant he was hitting the hole sometimes this season.

Also, I know Cerrato and everyone are saying he'll definitely be fit for next year etc, but a transcript of Portis' comments on the radio sounded alot less upbeat.

I agree though that we already have enough gaps, however I think I'd be happy to go in to next year with running back by committee again, whether its Betts, Rock and Ganther, or whether we look to a lower pick in the draft or FA ... either way I think CP might have just run out of gas ...

steblin
09.12.2009, 08:59 PM
And as if on queue for my post, Ganther has been named the starter for Sunday's game, really looking forward to seeing what the guy can do with an extended look in a game!

wuds100
10.12.2009, 12:42 AM
Im a big CP fan but im in the cut rather than keep camp mainly
down to his attitude, This season his calling out of Sellars and the
multiple spats with Zorn has not helped the team plus his running style
has changed where he wants the big run on every hand off and wont
settle on the hard 2-4 yds thats helps the QB on 2nd, 3rd downs,
If a big name HC comes in and is the type to take no crap then I would
welcome him back on the condition he splits his carries and becomes a
team leader the right way, However I dont see this being a likely outcome
and giving that he is on IR because of concussions would put a huge question
mark over his career although if he does make it back it would help us short
term as we could do without having to find a RB next offseason.

JD for breakfast
10.12.2009, 08:23 PM
Personally I think his body just isn't up to being a feature back any more. He's not been fully fit all this season and who knows if he'll even make it through next year's training camp without pulling up. I'd look into trading him out for picks, although I'm not sure what we'd get for him considering his age and health issues. It would be a big wedge off our salary cap too

Boltonian
10.12.2009, 10:38 PM
According to mike Carlson there has been talk that portis could be considering
retirement, and he also said that Portis has not been that good for the last year
or 2. If he does retire as well as Samuels and the cap stays in play the skins
could be about 15m better off at the end of the season.

Riggo
11.12.2009, 01:00 AM
He was fixture on John Thompson's radio show and everytime he opened his mouth I liked him less and less.

wuds100
16.12.2009, 03:45 AM
Maybe he knows something we dont or is he just being
realistic and brutally honest.

http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/content/article/2009/12/15/AR2009121504549.html

santana89
16.12.2009, 11:04 AM
Wouldn't be the worst move we've ever made. Providing we actually sign someone capable to replace him.

Riggo
18.12.2009, 01:04 AM
I don't know what the salary cap implications are, but this guy has just grated on my nerves since he arrived. If was gaining 1600 yds and scoring 16 touchdowns every year I could take it....but not otherwise.

Boltonian
18.12.2009, 09:02 PM
I think if the salary cap stays he will count something like 14m against the cap, but
if Randy Thomas and Chris Samuels retire we will save around the same cap figure,
if there is no salary cap i would just release him, we have proved over the time that
he has been absent that we can run the ball and run into the end-zone, so either
way i would get rid of him and his ego.

sKiNsFaN
18.12.2009, 11:51 PM
Yep, it's time. My excitement about some of the young guys (Ganther, Mason) eclipses any use CP might be to us any more.

He carried this team at times and I thank him for that but.. see ya.