PDA

View Full Version : Bruce Allen, Washington Post article

Riggo
21.12.2009, 12:58 PM
http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/content/article/2009/12/19/AR2009121902018.html

No warm fuzzies for me when I read this one.

citizenstu
21.12.2009, 02:06 PM
http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/content/article/2009/12/19/AR2009121902018.html

No warm fuzzies for me when I read this one.

I wasn't so taken with the following comment from the press conference:

Executive vice president/GM Bruce Allen On the merits of the job: "...I like urgency. I like doing things sooner than later and that made it the most attractive position that could possibly have been available."

(http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/content/article/2009/12/17/AR2009121704365.html)

OK, that's only a snipet, but does this urgency extend to building a team to win now? Now, where've we had that before?

Still - I suppost we shouldn't critise before he's had a chance at free agency and the draft. If we get a couple of (potentially) decent OL, he gets a reprieve on criticism til the season comes around I think.

wuds100
21.12.2009, 02:31 PM
How agressive he can be in FA would depend heavily on the players
possibly heading out, Dont know the specifics on the contracts but I
would imagine Portis finding a new home plus Samuels and Thomas retiring
would be a big help for him.

citizenstu
21.12.2009, 02:37 PM
One can hope that those factors lead to him looking for improvements on the line and in the running game and if he does then that sits pretty well with me.

He could of course still blow our high first rounder on a QB and spend big on over-the-hill FA linemen to plug the gaps, which is what Vinny probably would've done. What I want is a bit of sensible spending and (dare I say it) Campbell to remain our QB.

wuds100
21.12.2009, 02:43 PM
I will be disapointed if we dont take a Tackle with our 1st rounder
unless we are planning for another 4-5 win season because the better
Tackles are usually gone in the first 10 picks.

citizenstu
21.12.2009, 02:47 PM
Agree totally. I posted elsewhere a few days ago that I'd've taken Oher at 13 last draft. Nothing against Orakpo - he's looking like one of Vinny's few good picks. Drafting 7th (or so) has got to mean we go OT and (hopefully) bag a genuine left tackle talent.

wuds100
21.12.2009, 02:56 PM
The boards would suggest that Okung will be gone by then and
the next name coming up is guy called Bulga, Dont really follow the
college game that much to have a view on the above players though
Tackles and Guards are usually safe picks as the transition is alot less
than that of the Skill positions.

citizenstu
21.12.2009, 03:05 PM
I don't follow College massively myself but it's (fairly) common to get 2/3 superior OTs - by which I mean projected to play LT in the NFL - a year and a couple more with a good chance at LT. Okung will be gone - if he's still there at 4/5 it will surely be too hard for a team to pass on his skill even if he's not their biggest need. But I think there's a decent chance of the next OT (whoever he is following the combine, etc.) still being around when we draft.

wuds100
21.12.2009, 03:22 PM
Along with Oher I think Clady dropped to 12 but they are definite exceptions.

citizenstu
21.12.2009, 03:31 PM
I've just read Jake Locker is going back for his Senior season. I was thinking he was a certain top 5 pick and so generates a gap that may be taken by another OT.

Anyway, I just hope we start to show some sense with the new man.

wuds100
21.12.2009, 03:36 PM
On the Youtube clips that Locker looks something special,
If Clausen goes early then hopefully another team above us
bites on Bradford.

liverbirdpie
03.01.2010, 08:26 PM
Okung will be gone by the wime we pick, Trent Williams and Anthony Davis should be around though, which leaves us with talented options at tackle. Adam Ulatoski is another decent prospect as is Jason Fox.

For Guard I like the look of Iupati out of Idaho, big old fella and hasnt allowed a sack on his side all season, he might go late first round or early second.

I do have a sneaky suspicion either Tebow or Tony Pike might be left at the time of our second pick though, I'm still not sure about Tebow, but Pike might be a good kid to come in under an experienced QB brought in through free agency or keep Campbell for a season. Jury will remain out on this to be honest, and probably will do unless the new HC makes a statement as to his first round choice or plans for the off season. I can still see us blowing first round on Clausen. He wouldnt be a bad choice, but OT would be much wiser. Pennington, Orton, Clemmens (risky call) would all be available under FA, and there is a possibilty of keeping Campbell (Restrict or offer a year deal?)