PDA

View Full Version : Matt Ryans Decline

towen5
24.12.2009, 01:41 AM
Great points from http://www.thefalcoholic.com/ felt i should share

I'm not going to bore you all with strenous explanations, but instead, with some delicious food for your hungry brains. In a non-disturbing, non-zombie related way, of course.

Basically, everyone that's been worrying about Ryan really needs to calm down, because he has NOT regressed nearly as much as people have been saying. I have no doubt that he will return next year with a far superior season to this sophomore slump he's been experiencing. But on the other hand, when you look at the games he's played...can you really be too upset? I'll lay it out simply.

The falcons schedule is, and admittedly has been, one of the most painstaking in the NFL this year. But a look at the statistics prove that it's a much harder schedule for Ryan himself than for the team as a whole, which points simply to his much lesser stats. Take a look at the top 10 pass defenses in the NFL.

NY Jets
Denver
Buffalo
Washington
Baltimore
Chicago
Tampa Bay
New England
NY Giants

So, do any of the teams look familiar? I hope so. As you can see, we have faced 8 of those top 10 pass defenses throughout our already ugly schedule. And on top of that, we faced Tampa Bay and Carolina TWICE. Basically, 10 of our 16 games are against top 10 pass defenses. Ugly, in a word.

But wait, there's more? Well, Ryan ALSO sat out two of our games against easier pass defenses, being New Orleans (No. 24) and Philadelphia (No. 14). Not only does this jab a stick at the eyes of the Redman lovers who want him in over Ryan, as he faced the "easy" teams, but it also highlights how difficult Ryan has had it. Assuming that he plays for the next two games, he will have had to face teams in the top 10 pass-defense rankings 10 times out of 14.

And on top of that, do injuries ring a bell? Injuries to the line have caused him to make hasty decisions, and drops by Michael Jenkins, as well as the loss of capable 3rd down reciever Harry Douglas, AND Jerious Norwood's long-term absence...should I even continue?

Redman also didn't have to compete with 4 - yes, FOUR - teams coming off of their byes. He didn't have to compete with four well-rested teams (Giants, Redskins, Bears, Cowboys), three of whom are in the top 10 pass defense already and DON'T need an excuse to make QBs perform poorly.

When it comes down to it, 1 INT per game doesn't look so bad at all. Thoughts?

Devilfalc
24.12.2009, 04:40 PM
True, and his performances in most games this year weren't that bad. He hada few mediocre games, but only threw more INTs and TDs twice.

Steve_Killman
25.12.2009, 11:43 PM
Just a shame we missed him against the Eagles and Saints.
Yeah, only 1 TD down on 2008 and 1 more Int so far.

Would like to see him rush more, he's a pretty nimble QB.
Only when no one or only Jenkins is open of course.

Stubbsy #21
16.01.2010, 06:41 PM
Interesting subject here. I hadn't realised just how many top 10 pass defences we'd played. Can't remember where I heard this but i'd say it rings true here:

'What doesn't kill you only makes you stronger'

He's had a difficult season but he's come through it and is definitely a better player for it. With a good off season i'm quite excited with what this offense could do.

essex_charger
19.01.2010, 10:28 AM
I think Matt Ryan will come good for you, hes only learning and your an improving side.

olig23
20.01.2010, 12:03 PM
I don't think you can regress after one season. Ryan simply had a less impressive season but players in the NFL have their ups and downs. There are two large factors which worked against him though. Michael Turner being banged up and the running game being less effective, that is massive it changes the way opponents have to play you. Also, teams had a year of film on him so it is easier for them to assess his tendencies.

Tebow 15
09.02.2010, 08:22 AM
Ryan had an incredible Rookie season, and although his Sophomore year wasn't quite as good, he still was better than many QB's have been in their 2nd year.

To start talking about a decline is harsh.

towen5
09.02.2010, 08:42 AM
Ryan had an incredible Rookie season, and although his Sophomore year wasn't quite as good.

To start talking about a decline is harsh.

I hope you can see your complete contradition there.

The whole post was about why he didn't have as good as soph. Season (a slight decline) and why we shouldn't worry.