PDA

View Full Version : Orakpo goes to the Pro Bowl, Fletcher doesn't. Again

JD for breakfast
30.12.2009, 01:20 AM
Bit of a head scratcher this one for me. Don't get me wrong, I rate Orakpo and 11 sacks as a rookie is not to be sniffed at but I think that stat hides some of his faults as an NFL-level LB. He's dire in coverage and over-runs too many plays. He has been picked as an LB, yet he got the vast majority of those 11 sacks while playing DE, so why he's in at LB is beyong me. I'm pleased for the guy though and it's good to have at least one burgundy helmet there in Miami. Also does his chances of Defensive Rookie of the Year honours no harm

As for poor old London Fletcher, I don't know what else the guy has to do to get some recognition. He's always in the top 5 tacklers in the league and never misses a snap. Gutted for him

RickySanders
30.12.2009, 10:38 AM
Totally gutted for London Fletcher, the man simply cannot do anymore. He is doomed to Pro-bowl Anonymity :(

jklcan1
30.12.2009, 12:08 PM
fletcher has been great for the skins again and is unfortunate to miss out.

my_friend_goo
30.12.2009, 01:16 PM
London Fletcher is without doubt the most significant signing the Redskins made in the last decade. Still, the Pro Bowl isn't the be all and end all of everything - here's hoping he gets recognition as one of the greatest Redskins of all time.

SimonV
30.12.2009, 02:38 PM
This has to be the single most glaring reason why 'the fans' should have nothing to do with the vote. Just watching the Skins' last two games, Fletcher has been the one beacon of hope each time and has played flat out the whole way. A truly whole-hearted, dedicated and impactful player on a team where you have many who don't qualify under any of those headings.

skinsfan.uk
30.12.2009, 03:18 PM
The whole pro bowl voting is a complete nonsense. It starts far too early and fans vote as much as they like. What's the point? As for the Orakpo selection I'm pleased for him and he has done well but over London?! He is one of the bright spots in an otherwise abysmal decade and will be remembered as such by Skins fans. There's always next year!

Harwich Hog
01.01.2010, 08:09 PM
As for the Orakpo selection I'm pleased for him and he has done well but over London?!

Orakpo wasn't chosen for Probowl over London. Orakpo is going as an OLB and Fletcher is a MLB. He's tied with Ware for the most sacks by an OLB in the NFC (the fact that most of them have come as a DE is the funny bit). There are probably a dozen or so OLBs in the NFC that have played better in that position than Orakpo, his sack count has earned him his place. Proof what effect stats have.

In a way it could be kinda good for the Redskins - not that I doubt he'd give 100% next year but he might even give 110%. Next season might very well be his last opportunity now.

JoeHilditch
01.01.2010, 08:38 PM
Totally gutted for London Fletcher, the man simply cannot do anymore. He is doomed to Pro-bowl Anonymity :(

If he can't beat a rookie to the Pro Bowl then he will never make it- or someone's cheating

Riggo
01.01.2010, 10:46 PM
I'm a fan of my team of course, but I never could get excited about various honors for Redskins. I just want the redskins to win, and I don't care if he guys make the pro bowl...a game I never watch.

Goodfry
01.01.2010, 11:47 PM
I don't think London Fletcher would have it any other. He is an underdog and if you start throwing probowl invitations his way it wouldn't be his style.

He is one of the best inside linebackers this decade and people know this. A pro bowl would just be the no more than cherry on the cake of for his career.

JD for breakfast
25.01.2010, 08:02 PM
I'd better adjust this. With Jonathan Vilma going to the Super Bowl with the Saints Fletcher has been called up as first alternative. So, by hook or by crook, London Fletcher will be going to the Pro Bowl. That means that two of the LB's for the NFC will be in burgundy helmets. And here's me thinking we had a weak linebacking corps