PDA

View Full Version : Atlanta Draft Thread

towen5
30.12.2009, 08:45 PM
So seasons nearly done, if we win at the weekend we'll be picking from around 18-22ish position. I think this is TD's perfect kind of draft positioning. Not too high to get a bust and not too low to miss out on talent.

Due to losing a lot of players last off season we are due some compensatory picks and could have as many as 9picks in 2010 (http://life.atlantafalcons.com/topic/3880154-falcons-could-have-9-picks-in-2010-draft/)

For me the question is; what positions?

TE, LB, OL are what id like to see focused on right now. Things may change, like what happens with Norwood, whos contract is nearly up.

falcon_91
30.12.2009, 08:54 PM
I'd like CB to be addressed via FA thats for sure - a fair few fans are besotted on Joe Haden but frankly i think we've missed the boat on top range CBs in the last couple of drafts
I think OLB needs to be the #1 prioity, as for where we are set to pick i think it might be intresting because there should be a couple of decent prospects at out pick.

towen5
30.12.2009, 08:59 PM
i think we are in quite a luxurious position in so much theres not glaring holes that have to be filled somehow, we have some level of talent at nearly every position with similar depth. But its also a poison chalice as it depends on how much you rate certain players as to where you improve. I think it will come down to BPA, with some depth in the secondary and Linebacker are the only required positions.

falcon_91
30.12.2009, 09:05 PM
The other thing to remember is that we essentially egt another 1st and 2nd round pick in that Peria Jerry and Moore have both been on IR for the majority/all of the season

towen5
30.12.2009, 09:11 PM
The other thing to remember is that we essentially egt another 1st and 2nd round pick in that Peria Jerry and Moore have both been on IR for the majority/all of the season

Yeah, i think we may surprise a few people next year, and hopefully find ourselves with a better schedule.

Martin Joyce
05.01.2010, 04:47 PM
We would prob need to strengthen the secondary before anything else really, if this can be achieved and we stay reasonably healthy throughout the season. Couple this with our quite promising schedule theirs no reason why we cant have an exellent season in 2010. Injuries and our secondary giving up big plays stoped us from progressing to the post season this time around. Next year looks promising for us!!!

towen5
10.01.2010, 08:31 PM
We would prob need to strengthen the secondary before anything else really, if this can be achieved and we stay reasonably healthy throughout the season. Couple this with our quite promising schedule theirs no reason why we cant have an exellent season in 2010. Injuries and our secondary giving up big plays stoped us from progressing to the post season this time around. Next year looks promising for us!!!

Where do you want to see strengthened? De Coud has more than solidfied a spot. William Moore is a 2nd round talent who looks good at SS with Coleman.

Owens and Grimes have been sensational of late (admittedly against poor QB's) meanwhile Houston is still OK.

falcon_91
10.01.2010, 09:13 PM
Sell the house for Eric Berry ;)

Razors Edge
11.01.2010, 09:31 PM
Alright there dirty birds? Mind if I offer some thoughts on likely targets?

Looking at Towen's post, he has TE, LB and OL.

Blocking TE? There's some nice prospects, the best of which is probably Tony Moeaki (Iowa Hawkeyes, 6'4" 250lbs). Does a great job in both the passing and the running game, and is also a very nice hands catcher. Does have some injury history. If you watched the BCS Nation Championship Game you would have seen Colin Peek for the Crimson Tide. 6'6", 255lbs, wasn't that solid in the passing game (although he normally is) but was ferocious in the run game (Sergio Kindle has likely been seeing the #84 in his sleep). Nate Byham (6'3" 255lbs) had a decent year for Pitt, great blocker, maybe the best in the class.

LB - I'm guessing not MLB! Yeah, there's some terrific 4-3 OLB's in the Draft, especially if Travis Lewis declares (however I doubt it). The best is Sean Weatherspoon (Missouri Tigers 6'1" 245) who has top 20 talent but likely won't go that high due to positional value and need. He'd be a stunning WLB. AJ Edds (Iowa Hawkeyes 6'4" 244lbs) might be the top SLB in the Draft. An absolute force against the run, nice in coverage, and really attacks his blocker. If you want a proper play-maker at WLB, Navorro Bowman (Penn State Nittany Lions 6'1" 228lbs) might be your man. Great athlete and he knows how to tackle and pursue (hey, he's been coached by Ron Vanderlinden, it's a gimmee). Should be available mid-late second/third.

OL - If you're wanting to upgrade RT, Trent Williams (Oklahoma Sooners 6'5" 318lbs) might well be around at #19, whilst Brian Bulaga (Iowa Hawkeyes 6'6" 312lbs) could likely play at RT. If you want to leave it whilst round 2, Joseph Barksdale (LSU Tigers 6'5" 315lbs) might be the best pure RT in the Draft (and might be capable of playing LT if the occasion so rises), whilst there's also Gabe Carimi (Wisconsin Badgers 6'8" 320lbs) and Ciron Black (LSU Tigers 6'5" 320lbs - had him penned as a top 15 pick this time last year) to consider. If it's a new guard you want, Mike Iupati (Idaho Vandals 6'5" 330lbs) is one of the best to come out in some time. His bio marks him out as massive, but he's not, and he's as light on his feet as Reggie Bush. Vladimir Ducasse (UMass Minutemen 6'5" 330lbs) is probably the best after that, and he too looks massive, but isn't.

Let me know what you think :)

towen5
11.01.2010, 09:56 PM
Iowa Hawkeyes fan boy? :p

Razors Edge
12.01.2010, 11:31 AM
Nope, they just have a lot of good players coming out.

Kirk Ferentz has done a tremendous job there. Another Belichick protege, I might add.

Martin Joyce
13.01.2010, 04:16 AM
Where do you want to see strengthened? De Coud has more than solidfied a spot. William Moore is a 2nd round talent who looks good at SS with Coleman.

Owens and Grimes have been sensational of late (admittedly against poor QB's) meanwhile Houston is still OK.

There are quite a few oustanding corners in the upcoming draft that could develop into shut down players, obviously these will have to be looked at more carefully at the combine but I like the look of Crezdon Butler from Clemson A.J. Wallace at Penn State and South Floridas Jerome Murphy. Also out of Interest one player I really liked the look of coming out of the college game this year (not for us though) is Dan LeFevour central michigan QB I seen a handful of his games this year and he impressed me especially for a guy that is expected to go in one of the later rounds (6-8) I feel he could eventually get himself a starters job in the league. where was I yeah I think owens is coming along nicely Towen but think one of these guys could help us to start to lock down receivers in the future.

Martin Joyce
13.01.2010, 04:20 AM
I agree with ya Towen LB and OL needs to be strengthened this off season too, Whats the free agency gonna look like for these positions this year, or does anyone think were gonna draft for these spots...

towen5
13.01.2010, 10:41 AM
All the draft site I've read have said there's a massive drop off after Haden and not much CB talent in this year. I'd like to see the guys we have develop and only go out get somebody via draft or FA that is a real amazing talent. We don't need anymore averageness at the position.

Martin Joyce
14.01.2010, 12:51 AM
All the draft site I've read have said there's a massive drop off after Haden and not much CB talent in this year. I'd like to see the guys we have develop and only go out get somebody via draft or FA that is a real amazing talent. We don't need anymore averageness at the position.

Really, Ive seen in a few places that actually suggest the opposite. Maybe FA might be the way to go then. Where does everyone think our first 3 picks will go position wise this year. we could have as much as 9 picks this year but more than likely 8.

Steve_Killman
14.01.2010, 05:36 PM
Yeah our O-line got beatdown in 2009.
I don't watch college football, what sites do you guys go to?

Welcome back Towen.

towen5
06.03.2010, 09:23 PM
So CB has been attended to via FA.

Im still all for OL and LB with DE if the talent makes sense.

falcon_91
11.03.2010, 12:02 AM
Sean Weatherspoon twitter
Private workout 3/17 with an NFC South squad! I'm excited! And they have a top 20 pick... Hmmm

so we are working him out on the 17th

Razors Edge
11.03.2010, 04:35 PM
Sean Weatherspoon twitter
Private workout 3/17 with an NFC South squad! I'm excited! And they have a top 20 pick... Hmmm

so we are working him out on the 17th

Buccs......

towen5
11.03.2010, 04:40 PM
Buccs......

thats what i thought, he could drop to 35 overall..

falcon_91
12.03.2010, 05:47 PM
Weatherspoon is not dropping out of the 1st

If they were looking at him for #35 he wouldn't be so excited imo.