PDA

View Full Version : With the 4th pick the Redskins select???

wuds100
04.01.2010, 10:41 AM
So let the speculation begin, Im hoping for a Tackle hopefully
Okung although he is likely to be taken by the Lions,
Worst case scenario Berry or Bradford, Too high for a Safety and Bradford
is coming off major shoulder surgery and will get battered behind our line.

Gman84
04.01.2010, 12:13 PM
Sam Bradford or Jimmy Clausen, it's QB all the way guys, don't like in denial :)

Rams likely take a QB, Lions and Buc's took QB's this year.

My top four mock:

1, Rams - Sam Bradford/Jimm Clausen
2, Lions - Ndamukong Suh
3, Buccaneers - Eric Berry
4, Redskins - Clausen or Bradford

citizenstu
04.01.2010, 12:14 PM
So let the speculation begin, Im hoping for a Tackle hopefully
Okung although he is likely to be taken by the Lions,
Worst case scenario Berry or Bradford, Too high for a Safety and Bradford
is coming off major shoulder surgery and will get battered behind our line.

Can Bradford play for the 'Skins - has he said anything on the subject (what with his being a member of the Cheroke Nation I think who are in some part behind the recent court actions over the Redskins name)?

It's hard to see Okung there but hard to think that Williams and Davis will be gone so if we go LT, we should get a shot at an elite potential if scouting reports are true.

Shanahan (according to the Post) has expressed a desire to draft and develop a QB. Whilst I would hope we get the best available in the 2nd (or later?) round as a project, Dan isn't going to have any issue with Shanahan grabbing his guy at 4.

My other 'concern' is, most people seem convinced that Suh and Berry are the best players available. What are the chances the Rams go QB and the Lions go LT meaning the Bucs and us find it too hard to pass on Suh and Berry?

OK, if we get either of the above we get massive potential but we need an O-line first and foremost and we're not spending 4 on an OT then much as I hate to say it I think it's got to be a franchise QB.

Harwich Hog
04.01.2010, 12:46 PM
I'd like a tackle with #4 I have to admit but i'm not necessarily against going QB, providing we then address the OL with our 2nd rounder.

A 2nd round offensive linemen > All current Redskins offensive linemen. (assuming Samuels retires).

I would like two reasonable FA additions to the OL and two more to be drafted (1 from the 1st or 2nd round and another from the 4th or 5th).

I think we need to draft a RB too but i'm of the opinion that one can be picked up in the later round. I actually wouldn't mind a young Rock Cartwright (who came from the 7th round) clone. Not necessarily a game-changer but a guy with upside that can be serviceable (see Ahmad Bradshaw or Ryan Grant).

Ideal Scenario
1st Round - QB/OL
2nd Round - OL/QB
4th Round - LB (to compete with incoming FA at LOLB)
5th Round - OL
6th Round - RB
7th Round - Chris Horton/Reed Doughty/Marko Mitchell bargain type (wishful thinking I know).

citizenstu
04.01.2010, 01:15 PM
I think we need to draft a RB too but i'm of the opinion that one can be picked up in the later round. I actually wouldn't mind a young Rock Cartwright (who came from the 7th round) clone. Not necessarily a game-changer but a guy with upside that can be serviceable (see Ahmad Bradshaw or Ryan Grant).

Ideal Scenario
1st Round - QB/OL
2nd Round - OL/QB
5th Round - OL
6th Round - RB
7th Round - Chris Horton/Reed Doughty/Marko Mitchell bargain type (wishful thinking I know).

Well, looking for the time being on the bright side of Shanahan, finding a RB later on seems to be a bit of a speciality of his, so lets assume the best there. He also seems to understand the importance of an OL. If we go 4th on QB I think we need to go RT or G in 2nd round - I doubt we'd get a LT. So lets try get a reasonable LT who could play RT in FA and see what happens on draft day.

The other thing you can say for Shanahan is he seems to need a quality QB to implement his pass offense (see playoff appearances with John Elway vs playoff appearances since).

lochhibs
04.01.2010, 11:23 PM
its got to be o-line addressed first.couldnt put a rookie qb behind whats going to be a new o-line.if he was a bust it could wreck his career.anyone know what qbs will be free agents?i think i read chad pennington was a free agent and i would take him for a year and maybe draft a qb 3rd or 4th round who could get a year to be developed.so from what little ive seen and read,okung,if hes still on the board,would be a good pick.

Boltonian
05.01.2010, 12:27 AM
Don't agree with Pennington or any other washed up QB(Bulger included), as soon as
the Skins pick at 4 or trade down we should pick up the best OT available, then with
our 2nd pick we should draft the best available C or G, on top of which we should have
by then have picked up 2 FA OL, there is only 1 starter i would keep from this years line
and thats Dockery, maybe Big Mike Williams after another training camp to see if he is
fit enough, then i would give Campbell a final chance behind a better line to see what he
can do. We could have Brady or Manning as QB but behind this years line would more than
likely be on IR as neither are as tough as JC, just look at the jets this year average QB
play but top OL equals play-offs lets see if we can follow suit in the next year or to.

Gman84
05.01.2010, 07:34 AM
Don't agree with Pennington or any other washed up QB(Bulger included), as soon as
the Skins pick at 4 or trade down we should pick up the best OT available, then with
our 2nd pick we should draft the best available C or G, on top of which we should have
by then have picked up 2 FA OL, there is only 1 starter i would keep from this years line
and thats Dockery, maybe Big Mike Williams after another training camp to see if he is
fit enough, then i would give Campbell a final chance behind a better line to see what he
can do. We could have Brady or Manning as QB but behind this years line would more than
likely be on IR as neither are as tough as JC, just look at the jets this year average QB
play but top OL equals play-offs lets see if we can follow suit in the next year or to.

That sounds good and sensible (apart from the Campbell part but more on that in a mo). You are making the classic mistake though and that is trusting the Redskins to do the sensible thing. We may have a new GM, we are getting a new coach but you are assuming things will change...........I need to see proof they are changing and until then will continue to assume the worse.

As for keeping Campbell, I don't get why anyone would want to keep him. I know I'm a big knocker of Campbell in recent seasons but as a 'Barn fan I was delighted when we got this kid. I watched him lead 'Barn to a perfect 13-0, win games at the end and manage his team superbly. In the pros it's just not worked for him. Some defenders point to his improved stats and yes they have improved, he has gone from below average to average. The boy can't win games and whilst there is no doubt been killed by an OL doesn't help, other QB's do manage pro bowl type seasons behind worst or similar protection. I thought it was rather apt his Redskins career ended with four straight incompletions chasing a lead.

If it is indeed Shannahan I am 99% certain this team goes QB in the draft.

Gman84
05.01.2010, 07:36 AM
I'd like a tackle with #4 I have to admit but i'm not necessarily against going QB, providing we then address the OL with our 2nd rounder.

A 2nd round offensive linemen > All current Redskins offensive linemen. (assuming Samuels retires).

I would like two reasonable FA additions to the OL and two more to be drafted (1 from the 1st or 2nd round and another from the 4th or 5th).

Ideal Scenario
1st Round - QB/OL
2nd Round - OL/QB
5th Round - OL
6th Round - RB

And if we could get a pick(s) for Campbell, Rogers and maybe Landry you could add another player for each line and maybe a corner.

Harwich Hog
05.01.2010, 07:55 AM
And if we could get a pick(s) for Campbell, Rogers and maybe Landry you could add another player for each line and maybe a corner.

Just remembered we don't have a 6th. Apparently we're still paying for Jason Taylor (wonderful).

wuds100
05.01.2010, 12:34 PM
If the front office go QB in the draft and we are forced into FA to
plug the line here are the possible options.

http://www.footballsfuture.com/2010/fa/ol.html

Boltonian
05.01.2010, 05:01 PM
In response to Gman84, over the course of the last 2 or 3 years i have not been the
biggest supporter of Campbell as the Skins starting QB, in fact if you read back over
a lot of my posts i have wanted him benched or even released, but we have got 3
young receivers in Thomas, Kelly and Davis who have had 2 years with Campbell and
with a upgraded line could become even better, bringing a new QB with this OL will
result in another 4-5 win season, i could also see the Skins using Cooley as trade bait to
get a starting top quality T or G.

Gman84
05.01.2010, 08:34 PM
You'll get little for Cooley, great player but TE's don't get much value as trade targets, look at Tony G, arguably the greatest TE ever!

If Shannahan comes in and brings Alex Gibbs the line will get overhauled anyway. Yes, we need OL help but Campbell was part of the problem, you can't hold the ball in a WCO.

JD for breakfast
05.01.2010, 08:57 PM
I don't see the point in trading Cooley. A new QB coming in will need all the help he can get so trading out your most reliable reciever wouldn't make any sense. I think we'll pick up whoever the Rams don't take out of Bradford and Clausen, reinforce the OL with picks 2 and 4 and look at RB's and LB's later on as projects, depending on what picks we may or may not get get after trades for Landry and Portis. At least I hope this is how we go. Nothings certain at Redskins Park these days

liverbirdpie
05.01.2010, 09:10 PM
There key thing to remember is we dont have a third round or a sixth round pick

We gave up the 3rd round pick for taking Jarmon in the supplemental draft last year and Miami have our 6th for Taylor.

Jarmon was worth the third round in my opinion.

I still think Shanahan could be clever. The OL is in desperate need of repair. And I still think with the quality of QB's coming into this year draft there could be a QB worth picking up in the Second Round. Tony Pike for example is a QB that is not leaving til the 2nd round on a lot of Mock Drafts. If this were to be the case a high end OL in the first round could still be taken, and then a QB second round choice could be a player that is still worth a wage and the chance to be developed.Tebow will still be around in the second too I think. He's a specific player for a specific kind of offence at the moment and needs a lot of work on his throwing action, just the kind of project a new HC might want to take on.

But the reality of the situation is that you can put any QB behind our line as it is and they would have the same black eyes as Campbell. The difficult choice for the new head coach is what gets repaired by the draft and what gets repaired by free agency.

JD for breakfast
06.01.2010, 02:28 PM
The problem is that is if we let Campbell go in FA we don't really have time to develop a project. We need to draft a QB who can come into Shanahan's system and be the starter from day one

RickySanders
06.01.2010, 03:11 PM
I don't see the point in trading Cooley. A new QB coming in will need all the help he can get so trading out your most reliable reciever wouldn't make any sense. I think we'll pick up whoever the Rams don't take out of Bradford and Clausen, reinforce the OL with picks 2 and 4 and look at RB's and LB's later on as projects, depending on what picks we may or may not get get after trades for Landry and Portis. At least I hope this is how we go. Nothings certain at Redskins Park these days

One of the more sensible strategies I have heard so far. Lets hope Dan, Bruce and Mike are listening to you JD!

wuds100
06.01.2010, 04:47 PM
One of the more sensible strategies I have heard so far. Lets hope Dan, Bruce and Mike are listening to you JD!

Im with you on retaining Campbell for next year however I am not sure
what this will cost, Because he is a restricted FA (someone can tell me better)
I am sure you have to pay a level so that if someome was to come in for him
they have to give up a draft pick, The round of the pick being dependant on the level
you tender him at, Hopefully we will shed some salary with Samuels, R Thomas and
Portis who slagged off Campbell on radio today exiting.

citizenstu
06.01.2010, 04:59 PM
There's a rumour via the Washington Post that Shanahan will be happy to keep Campbell for another season whatever and maybe pick a QB to develop later on in the draft although the lead story on Shanahan's hire does say he'll most likely use pick 4 on a QB.

If he's happy going later on a QB, I wonder what chance we trade down a little in the first round, still get a decent QB and maybe add a 2nd or 3rd rounder?

citizenstu
06.01.2010, 05:16 PM
Im with you on retaining Campbell for next year however I am not sure
what this will cost, Because he is a restricted FA (someone can tell me better)
I am sure you have to pay a level so that if someome was to come in for him
they have to give up a draft pick, The round of the pick being dependant on the level
you tender him at

The money doesn't matter as we're uncapped next year so we can match any offer on that front. I think the problems are more (as you say) above a certain level we also give up a pick and it's up to Campbell to a degree. If we want to keep him, I think we'd only a tender an offer to a certain level of draft pick - too high a pick and he'll be allowed to go I'd think. But first, Shanahan surely has to convince Campbell to stay, fight for the starting job again and help to develop an shiny new QB who's likely to take his job next year.

JD for breakfast
06.01.2010, 07:04 PM
I can't see Campbell being happy just signing a one year extension knowing he'll be getting the boot for a project QB 12 months down the line. He doesn't owe the Redskins anything so I think he'll look elsewhere should his tender become available this off-season. If we do want to keep him it will have to be a long-term deal but again there's no point giving him starting-QB money to keep him then demote him to back-up once our "new franchise QB" is ready to take the reigns, especially if the cap comes back in for the 2011 season

Riggo
07.01.2010, 02:07 AM
Shanahan will want a QB, unless he's always dreamt of Colt Brennan

Harwich Hog
07.01.2010, 01:59 PM
Shanahan will want a QB

With only the Rams ahead of us that need QB (Tampa Bay and Detroit drafted QBs in the first round of 2009) and two signal callers being "Top 5 Talents" it would appear pretty ominous that which ever of Clausen and Bradford is taken 1st overall, that the other becomes a Redskin.

I still think Brennan will be retained. It would appear the attributes Shanahan likes in a QB (accurate and mobile) he possesses.

liverbirdpie
07.01.2010, 07:47 PM
Does anyone see validaty in Campbell for one more season? My understanding of applying the franchise tag is it works in two ways There's two types of franchise tags.

Exclusive: Player cannot negotiate with other teams and his salary is the greater of 1) 120% of previous year's salary or 2) average salary of the top 5 players playing the same position from the current year.

Non-exclusive: Salary terms are the same except it's the average of the top 5 players from the previous year. Player can negotiate with other teams but current team reserves the right to match the offer. If it doesn't match the offer, it receives two first-round draft picks.

This means a franchise tag on Campbell would be $15 mil (ish)

For me the talking up of "Jason having his best footballing years ahead of him" is sheerly trying to attract other people to him in the hope of obtaining the extra draft picks

Gman84
07.01.2010, 09:54 PM
I can't see Campbell being happy just signing a one year extension knowing he'll be getting the boot for a project QB 12 months down the line. He doesn't owe the Redskins anything so I think he'll look elsewhere should his tender become available this off-season. If we do want to keep him it will have to be a long-term deal but again there's no point giving him starting-QB money to keep him then demote him to back-up once our "new franchise QB" is ready to take the reigns, especially if the cap comes back in for the 2011 season

Well, if he gets no offers in free agency, he has to sign the tender or not get paid or play for a year, not really an option. What likely happens, assuming their is no CBA, is he is tendered for his original cost (1st round pick) which is about $3.2m. If a new CBA happens he'll walk as a free agent because franchising would cost about $10m.

Likely, a team brings him in, offers a deal and then tries to work out compensation separate with the team. I still think he is gone, I just think Shanny and Allen are been careful with what they say and making sure they don't scupper his trade value.

lochhibs
08.01.2010, 12:56 AM
what teams are likely to want campbell?

RickySanders
08.01.2010, 09:20 AM

They must have a decent OL whoever they are!

citizenstu
08.01.2010, 02:24 PM

Campbell must be an upgrade for a few teams right now, surely? Statistically he's been middle of the pack in most things that matter (rating, yards and such), thought stats aren't the be-all.

He's 15th by Rating which isn't a bad indicator. If you ignore the Rookies/2nd year QBs who are clearly being developed still you have: Palmer (CIN), Garrard (JAC), Young (TEN), Smith (SF), Cutler (CHI), Hasselbeck (SEA), Bulger (ST L), Cassel (KC), Fitzpatrick (BUF), Quinn (CLE), Delhomme (CAR), Russell (OAK). Just above Campbell is Orton (DEN). Also, what happens with Favre (MIN) next year?

OK, I don't think I'm going to argue with Palmer and Garrard and it would seem Young, Cassel and Quinn are fairly secure now.

So there's a case for Campbell over Smith, Cutler, Hasselbeck, Bulger, Fitzpatrick, Delhomme, Russell. And are Denver and Minnesota firmly set?

IMO there's too much tied up with Cutler and Delhomme, plus the latter has competition internally already. Bulger will be replaced in the draft. So I think the 49ers, Seattle, Buffalo and Oakland should have a look, as none of them will get what scouts seem to think are 1 of the 2 decent QB prospects in the draft (assuming they go to St Louis and Washington as is largely speculated).

If I was Al Davis, i'd certainly look to grab a top notch LT in the draft and bag myself Campbell.

JD for breakfast
08.01.2010, 04:18 PM
I'm pretty sure Favre is contracted to Minnesota for another year yet. I remember it being reported that he signed a two year deal at the start of the season. Whether he decides to retire again or not remains to be seen. Depends how far the Vikings go in the post-season I suppose.

I can see Campbell being the kind of QB Al Davis would go for (good athlete, mobile, cannon arm) so Campbell going to Oakland is a distinct possibility. He'd be a definite upgrade on Russell anyway. He's poo

Gman84
09.01.2010, 05:47 PM
Does anyone see validaty in Campbell for one more season? My understanding of applying the franchise tag is it works in two ways There's two types of franchise tags.

Exclusive: Player cannot negotiate with other teams and his salary is the greater of 1) 120% of previous year's salary or 2) average salary of the top 5 players playing the same position from the current year.

Non-exclusive: Salary terms are the same except it's the average of the top 5 players from the previous year. Player can negotiate with other teams but current team reserves the right to match the offer. If it doesn't match the offer, it receives two first-round draft picks.

This means a franchise tag on Campbell would be $15 mil (ish)

For me the talking up of "Jason having his best footballing years ahead of him" is sheerly trying to attract other people to him in the hope of obtaining the extra draft picks

If thee is no new CBA he does not need to be franchised. In that circumstance he does not have enough years experience to qualify to be an unrestricted free agent because in a non-capped year prospective free agents require six years experience to become unrestricted which Campbell does not have.

By tendering him to maintain his restricted rights, the Redskins need only tender him at a rate of a 10% rise of his 2009 salary which I think is about $3.2m. By doing this they retain right of first refusal and should he be offered a contract, they are entitled to a first round pick as compensation. Teams are unlikely to pay that so it can be discussed between the parties and an agreement reached.

I did a blog piece (http://forum.nfluk.com/blog.php?b=1356) a couple of weeks back on why the uncapped year could be perfect for this franchise.

I do agree Shanny and Allen are just talking up Campbell and trying not to damage any potential trade value. It's not impossible he'll be back but I find it highly unlikely.

Jack Presley
09.01.2010, 07:05 PM
They've got to pick someone for the OL with the 4th pick. i don't know enough about college football to say who but with Suh and probably the best QB going with the 1st 2 picks, it'll almost be certain that the best OL will be there when the Redskins pick

skinsfan.uk
10.01.2010, 08:21 PM
We have to go o line, tackle if top 5 quality is there, otherwise trade down. I'm coming round to keeping JC for at least 1 more season.

The_Hangman
10.01.2010, 09:00 PM
I'm not convinced by the OT's at the top of the draft.

If there's a franchise QB there, we have to take him. Then build the O Line through latter picks and FA.

wuds100
10.01.2010, 09:11 PM
We have to go o line, tackle if top 5 quality is there, otherwise trade down. I'm coming round to keeping JC for at least 1 more season.

I was looking into the prospect of trading back but cant see where we could get
value unless Suh is still there at 4, If that happens then a trade back with someone
like the 49ers who have two firsts although im not sure they need a DT or someone
with multiple seconds would be worth a call.

liverbirdpie
10.01.2010, 10:19 PM
If thee is no new CBA he does not need to be franchised. In that circumstance he does not have enough years experience to qualify to be an unrestricted free agent because in a non-capped year prospective free agents require six years experience to become unrestricted which Campbell does not have.

By tendering him to maintain his restricted rights, the Redskins need only tender him at a rate of a 10% rise of his 2009 salary which I think is about $3.2m. By doing this they retain right of first refusal and should he be offered a contract, they are entitled to a first round pick as compensation. Teams are unlikely to pay that so it can be discussed between the parties and an agreement reached.

I did a blog piece (http://forum.nfluk.com/blog.php?b=1356) a couple of weeks back on why the uncapped year could be perfect for this franchise.

I do agree Shanny and Allen are just talking up Campbell and trying not to damage any potential trade value. It's not impossible he'll be back but I find it highly unlikely.

Thanks for clearing that up GMAN, a tender that low makes JC a decent hang around back up for next year if needs be, or a trade for a first round draft picks means he should be offered the tender.

I still think OL is a first round must, especially if we cant trade down and still get the talent. I said earlier in the thread, a QB like Tony Pike might still be around come the second round. Even Colt McCoy could be around come our second pick, I know his shoulder injury could be a concern, but he would still be a very good project for Shanahan to develop

Gman84
10.01.2010, 11:29 PM
Depends on how much development you might want to do. Pike has career back-up written all over him IMO. I honestly hope they take one of Bradford or Clausen - I think both will be excellent pros and better than JC ever will be. I love Clausen's poise in clutch situations especially and he has tonnes of self belief. Bradford had a lot of talent around him at Oklahoma but he used it well and his injuries prevented him having one of the great college careers of recent times.

I agree we need OL, but we need QB as well and fixing QB can bring success quicker. The counter is he needs an OL to protect him but in JC's case, whilst he wasn't well protected, he struggled to get rid of the ball at times, in other words, a different QB might well have taken less sacks and an ability to show you don't take sacks can discourage teams from blitzing.

I'm in favour of QB in the 1st and then 2 straight picks for the OL.

liverbirdpie
11.01.2010, 08:06 AM
The ironic thing is, because both need fixing, there isnt a "bad" decision to be made, taking QB or OL 1st round fixes an immediate problem. I do like Clausen, but he could well be gone by the time we pick.

One major influence could be that if you look at repairing a problem in free agency, then the OL is easier to fix

Gman84
11.01.2010, 12:17 PM
If Alex Gibbs comes in or someone who teaches zone blocking then free agency could well see some bodies brought in. The broncos used to be masters at finding guys who were bad fits elsewhere and making them successful. We shall see I guess. If Campbell is a goner early in free agency then I think that's the big tell tale sign that they'll go QB first.

wuds100
11.01.2010, 01:38 PM
There is talk that the Rams may go for Campbell
so they can take Suh with there first.

JD for breakfast
11.01.2010, 05:18 PM
I'm in favour of QB in the 1st and then 2 straight picks for the OL.

That's what I'll be hoping for, unless Ryan Matthews is still there in the second round, in which case I'd snap him up. Most experts are saying that this will be a pretty weak draft for OL talent, so it might not be worthwhile spending high draft pick there. If the opportunity is there to draft a potential franchise QB in Bradford or Clausen we should take it

Lock & Load
11.01.2010, 08:51 PM
There is talk that the Rams may go for Campbell
so they can take Suh with there first.

LOL good one that but i think not

wuds100
12.01.2010, 11:10 AM
LOL good one that but i think not

I would imagine Suh is the player the Rams want most so it would not be a shock.

lochhibs
12.01.2010, 09:55 PM
good posts gman.imo the most important word you use is poise.something i dont think campbell has.if clausen gets picked 1st before o-line i dont think many people will complain.

citizenstu
13.01.2010, 09:05 AM
Indeed - I wouldn't complain. I think I'd rather have a shot at an elite LT to replace Samuels but failing that I'd take a QB over anything else with pick 4, and it'd have to be Clausen or Bradford that high.

As for the Rams, whilst I'm sure they will take a long hard look at Suh, isn't this exactly what the Lions and Dolphins went through the last 2 years?

The Lions' fan generally I think didn't want Stafford but the Lions realised they sucked and you don't pass on a chance of a franchise QB. As for the Dolphins, I seem to remember a lot of talk about how Chris Long was the best player but the Dolphins realised there's more positional value in an OT.

Heck, go back another couple of years and the Raiders went QB in 07, and in the Bush Bowl of 06 the Texans realised the was more positional value in a DE than a RB. Some people say football is simple. The important things are QB, protect the QB then get to opposing QB. The Rams will look at Suh but go QB in the end.

JD for breakfast
14.01.2010, 07:33 PM
I've been having a scan at a few mock drafts and whilst reading this one: http://walterfootball.com/draft2010.php I discovered some interesting info on Sam Bradford. Apparently the guy who performed his shoulder surgery is on the Redskins payroll so we'll have insider info on his recovery. If Jimmy Clausen goes top three and we don't take Bradford at 4 watch him slide down the boards

citizenstu
14.01.2010, 08:21 PM
I've been having a scan at a few mock drafts and whilst reading this one: http://walterfootball.com/draft2010.php I discovered some interesting info on Sam Bradford. Apparently the guy who performed his shoulder surgery is on the Redskins payroll so we'll have insider info on his recovery. If Jimmy Clausen goes top three and we don't take Bradford at 4 watch him slide down the boards

Yeah, I probably read Walterfootball a bit too much when draft time approaches for my own good, but, you know, anyone taking the p out of Emmitt Smith has got to be worth a read. I had some good laughs last year around March time.

I don't think Bradford would fall too far if we don't bite - someone would take the risk before too long IMO.

Gman84
14.01.2010, 08:32 PM
Profiles for both:

Sam Bradford (http://www.footballdiner.com/ncaasambradford.html)

Jimmy Clausen (http://www.footballdiner.com/ncaajimmyclausen.html)

flave1969
14.01.2010, 08:42 PM
If Bradford's shoulder checks out (his Dr. works for the Skins also so we should get an accurate report) then I have no problem with him.

If Suh by some miracle were to drop you have to take him even if we swap to a 3-4.

Clausen scares me for some reason that I cannot explain.

One thing is for sure if we do not address our O-Line via Free Agency/Draft the QB whoever he is will get killed again. When your QB is getting hit on 3 Step drops you need to do something.

Gman84
14.01.2010, 11:00 PM
If they stayed healthy that would help. Shanahan has already added one former Bronco on a futures contract. I'm hoping we do spend some draft picks on the area but I'm also hoping Shanahan and Allen work some magic and unearth a few gems from various sources.

citizenstu
15.01.2010, 09:12 AM
If Bradford's shoulder checks out (his Dr. works for the Skins also so we should get an accurate report) then I have no problem with him.

If Suh by some miracle were to drop you have to take him even if we swap to a 3-4.

Clausen scares me for some reason that I cannot explain.

One thing is for sure if we do not address our O-Line via Free Agency/Draft the QB whoever he is will get killed again. When your QB is getting hit on 3 Step drops you need to do something.

I find it very hard to see Suh dropping beyond Tampa unless he has some sort of nightmare between now and the draft, in which case we should pass too. In fact I think we should pass on him if he's there and there's nothing wrong with him.

Gman makes an excellent point about the health of our line - if they do stay healthy they're still a decent outfit as a whole. I guess some of them are so battered now though it's difficult to rely on them staying healthy in future.

Crazy87
15.01.2010, 09:36 PM
Samuels hasn't yet made up his mind whether to retire or not and Randy Thomas should be back. But like has been said, if they do come back, will they stay healthy. RT has missed the bulk of the last two years and they're both past 30. We overlooked adding to our O line before, hoping that they could stay healthy for another year but they're now another year older. We have to address it now, even if CS and RT return.

I couldn't understand it at the time when we drafted two WRs in round 2 a couple of years ago. We could have drafted a pretty decent OL in the 2nd.

Is there the quality of OL in this year's draft at #4? I'm not a follower so I don't know. It's easy to say drop down and collect an extra 2nd or 3rd round pick, but you need someone to trade with first. You have to assume we pick at #4. If we end up reaching for the sake of drafting an OL, then we should try to get one of the QBs.

flave1969
15.01.2010, 10:16 PM
Samuels hasn't yet made up his mind whether to retire or not and Randy Thomas should be back. But like has been said, if they do come back, will they stay healthy. RT has missed the bulk of the last two years and they're both past 30. We overlooked adding to our O line before, hoping that they could stay healthy for another year but they're now another year older. We have to address it now, even if CS and RT return.

I couldn't understand it at the time when we drafted two WRs in round 2 a couple of years ago. We could have drafted a pretty decent OL in the 2nd.

Is there the quality of OL in this year's draft at #4? I'm not a follower so I don't know. It's easy to say drop down and collect an extra 2nd or 3rd round pick, but you need someone to trade with first. You have to assume we pick at #4. If we end up reaching for the sake of drafting an OL, then we should try to get one of the QBs.

Realistically at #4 there is not a OL player in the draft worth that pick. Saw Russell Okung twice this year and he did not live up to the hype surrounding him. I have to think it will be Sam Bradford. I do think Shanahan and Allen will address the line and don't be surprised to see at least 3 new starters either FA or draftees.

Gman84
16.01.2010, 03:08 PM
Randy Thomas won't be back IMO. Old, injured, overpaid. Good player in his day but his day has gone.

JD for breakfast
16.01.2010, 04:41 PM
Even if Samuels and Thomas do come back and stay healthy for a whole season (would be nice if they do but unrealistic), they'll both be a year older with even more miles on the clock and if the OL has been ignored again we'll be in the exact same position as we are now. Our OL needs to be addressed and addressed now with at least one draft pick and in FA

liverbirdpie
02.02.2010, 09:29 PM
I have an incling that the Seahawks might play a part in our draft this year.

Please bear with my and i will try and explain. Shanahan will be favouring a running game, and there are some tidy names in free agency for the RB position. Chester Taylor would be a good reach in free agency, and would work well along side A N OTher running back, maybe Portis, but i still see Portis being worth a third round pic to someone. Sproles is also available but both could demand a big last pay deal, but in short, I think the RB position can be sorted in Free Agency.

We need a quarterback, i really do acknowledge that, but part of me still wants to see Campbell behind a strong OL, with time, and with a simple, settled playbook. Be fair the guy has had different schemes year in year out. And Shanahans belief in the running game could take some of the pressure off Campbell. The QB is one position that can go either way, but the more i think about it, and even though I like the look of Clausen and Bradford, we can't keep ignoring the Offensive line.

Right, heres where the Seahawks come in. They need a QB, they two first round picks, 6th and 14th. I can see them looking to offload both first round picks to secure either Bradford or Clausen. Theres possibly only us and Detroit that would see this as an excellent trade, and if the Rams do draft QB, the 'hawks could get twitchy and maybe even chuck more in the deal. We dont have a third round pick, but 6th and 14th in the first round could secure massive OL talent for us. Okung could still be there, especially if Tampa go for Eric Berry. If okung has gone, Anthony Davis and Mike Iupati would be excellent for our OL. I've banged on about this before, but Iupati didnt allow a sack on his side all season in his senior year.

This would leave us with more choice in second, fourth and so on. Second Round, Colt McCoy could still be around, big if I know, but if he's there that would be a good choice for Mike and Kyle to develop.

wuds100
03.02.2010, 01:22 AM
I have an incling that the Seahawks might play a part in our draft this year.

Please bear with my and i will try and explain. Shanahan will be favouring a running game, and there are some tidy names in free agency for the RB position. Chester Taylor would be a good reach in free agency, and would work well along side A N OTher running back, maybe Portis, but i still see Portis being worth a third round pic to someone. Sproles is also available but both could demand a big last pay deal, but in short, I think the RB position can be sorted in Free Agency.

We need a quarterback, i really do acknowledge that, but part of me still wants to see Campbell behind a strong OL, with time, and with a simple, settled playbook. Be fair the guy has had different schemes year in year out. And Shanahans belief in the running game could take some of the pressure off Campbell. The QB is one position that can go either way, but the more i think about it, and even though I like the look of Clausen and Bradford, we can't keep ignoring the Offensive line.

Right, heres where the Seahawks come in. They need a QB, they two first round picks, 6th and 14th. I can see them looking to offload both first round picks to secure either Bradford or Clausen. Theres possibly only us and Detroit that would see this as an excellent trade, and if the Rams do draft QB, the 'hawks could get twitchy and maybe even chuck more in the deal. We dont have a third round pick, but 6th and 14th in the first round could secure massive OL talent for us. Okung could still be there, especially if Tampa go for Eric Berry. If okung has gone, Anthony Davis and Mike Iupati would be excellent for our OL. I've banged on about this before, but Iupati didnt allow a sack on his side all season in his senior year.

This would leave us with more choice in second, fourth and so on. Second Round, Colt McCoy could still be around, big if I know, but if he's there that would be a good choice for Mike and Kyle to develop.

I wonder if we could get the Bengals to bite on a trade for Andre Smith,
We are loaded with WRs and have two recieving TEs so maybe we offer
Thomas/Kelly + Cooley/Davis for him a win win for everyone.

ScoringSkins
03.02.2010, 12:40 PM
I wonder if we could get the Bengals to bite on a trade for Andre Smith,
We are loaded with WRs and have two recieving TEs so maybe we offer
Thomas/Kelly + Cooley/Davis for him a win win for everyone.
I would rather we hold on to Cooley and Davis. They could be used together giving us quite dangerous passing options, but also the necessary know how to adjust and keep either of them in blocking to help what will probably be a relatively inexperienced LT/RT.

It would probably be best if we could trade down out of 4th. I like the idea of trading with the Seahawks, although I'm not sure they would give up the 6th and 14th for 4th? Part of that may depend on who's left on the board and whether they feel moving up is worth those two first rounders.

Is it not more likely that we would get their 6th with a 3rd rounder and a 2nd day pick or something like that in exchange for 4th???

JD for breakfast
03.02.2010, 05:52 PM
I'd agree with scoringskins. The Seahawks have too many needs elsewhere (Walter Jones may or may not be coming back next year) to give up two first rounders and with new Head Coach Pete Carroll coming in those first round picks become more valuable so he can assemble his own roster. Trading back does seem to be our most likely course of action if Shanahan likes Campbell and gives him another year

The_Hangman
04.02.2010, 12:40 PM
I had a dream last night we traded with Seattle, and picked up Iupati and Berry.

Very odd...

Boltonian
05.02.2010, 12:23 AM
At the moment most of the draft boards have 3 defensive players going in the 1st
3 picks, Rams-Suh, Lions-McCoy, and the Buccs-Berry, which would leave the Skins
with the choice of the 2 picks that everybody says we will choose from, Bradford or
Okung, but not every draft turns out like everybody thinks.

I have come up with 1 possible turnout for the draft, what do you fellow Skins think
we should do if this were the way the draft went?

Rams - Bradford(QB) possible with Bulger on his last legs.
Lions - Okung(OT) LT to keep Stafford on his feet.
Buccs - Suh(DT) would have been Berry but Suh possibly best player in draft.

Where does this leave the Redskins( pretend there is no trade down).

If it was up to me it would be between Berry and McCoy and i would go for McCoy
who would be good as a DT in a 4-3 or a DT/DE in a 3-4.

wuds100
05.02.2010, 02:40 PM
At the moment most of the draft boards have 3 defensive players going in the 1st
3 picks, Rams-Suh, Lions-McCoy, and the Buccs-Berry, which would leave the Skins
with the choice of the 2 picks that everybody says we will choose from, Bradford or
Okung, but not every draft turns out like everybody thinks.

I have come up with 1 possible turnout for the draft, what do you fellow Skins think
we should do if this were the way the draft went?

Rams - Bradford(QB) possible with Bulger on his last legs.
Lions - Okung(OT) LT to keep Stafford on his feet.
Buccs - Suh(DT) would have been Berry but Suh possibly best player in draft.

Where does this leave the Redskins( pretend there is no trade down).

If it was up to me it would be between Berry and McCoy and i would go for McCoy
who would be good as a DT in a 4-3 or a DT/DE in a 3-4.

Do you mean Clausen not McCoy, Personally I would not draft a safety that high
even if it is a need so other than trading back it would have to be a Tackle or a QB.

Redskinsno.1
05.02.2010, 06:36 PM
Do you mean Clausen not McCoy, Personally I would not draft a safety that high
even if it is a need so other than trading back it would have to be a Tackle or a QB.

No he means Gerald McCoy a defensive lineman from Oklahoma

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gerald_McCoy

wuds100
05.02.2010, 10:48 PM
No he means Gerald McCoy a defensive lineman from Oklahoma

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gerald_McCoy

Sorry thought there was a mix up with Colt McCoy,
Im not sure going for a DT unless he was regarded a stud NT would be a
great move that high in the draft giving our pressing needs on the O-Line
and at QB.

alexriley
06.02.2010, 10:13 PM
To be honest I can only see us going for a QB in the first round one of Jimmy Clausen or Sam Bradford. Out of the two I would probably pick Sam Bradford, but only if the scouts and doctors say that he is fit enough and strong enough to come in and not do a Stafford so to speak. He is definately big enough at 6ft4 and 223lb. His stats are mind blowing, for the 08 season his QB rating was 180.86 and has 88TD and only 16INT. He is very very accurate, has great power, amazing mechanics, vision and reads defences very well. He is the closest thing i've seen to the next Peyton Manning for many years. On the other hand the reason I wouldn't take Clausen is a number of reasons, the first being that he plays for Notre Dame and we all remember Brady Quinn who was hyped up and turned out to be a failure. I can't see the same happening to Clausen, he is certainly a quality QB and if Bradfords assessment is that he is not fit enough then I would be happy to have him as franchise QB but the reason I wouldn't take him is that his mechanics are all wrong, if you watch what he does when he passes the ball, albeit brilliantly, he just telegraphs the pass and if he is playing against someone like revis he would get torn up. On the upside his stats are good with 28TD and 4INT in 2009 and with a rating 161.42. He is then it shows a great QB but I would prefer Bradford.

Also on Okung, I watched him for a couple of games and he was very dissappointing. He looks extremely huge and has the tools to become a great starting offensive tackle for many years to come but I would not pick him over Clausen or Bradford.

Another option we could go for is draft in someone for the OL 1st round and then get Colt Mccoy, Tony Pike or someone like that second round if they are available. If this option is taken then Campbell would obviously be starting QB next season which I would not prefer. Our offensive line can be sorted out with free agents and the rest of our picks, we need a franchise QB. I could see us trading Campbell for a draft pick if theres someone Mike wants and hes got his QB.

alexriley
06.02.2010, 10:16 PM
Also on the running back issue a draft site has us taking Ryan Matthews out of Fresno State in the second round which would not be my choice unless hes amazing because our offensive line would suck so there would be no point.

liverbirdpie
07.02.2010, 09:00 PM
Also on the running back issue a draft site has us taking Ryan Matthews out of Fresno State in the second round which would not be my choice unless hes amazing because our offensive line would suck so there would be no point.

I'd still go for a running back from free agency, there is a wealth of talent there.

I do agree on the Colt McCoy idea, he could be a forgotten man in this draft and drop into the second round, and he has the ability to be a quality QB in the NFL

Gman84
11.02.2010, 07:53 AM
If I was going for a QB lower down rather than round 1 I'd look at Tebow in round 2 - needs lots of work (coaching) but has great mental intangilbles otherwise I'd look at Dan LeFavour in about round 4. My 3 month old daughter has a stronger arm than Colt McCoy.

The_Hangman
11.02.2010, 03:21 PM
Dan LeFavour

I quite like this guy.

Tebow would be a no no for me though.

Gman84
11.02.2010, 10:10 PM
If Tebow were to be picked he'd be a long term project at QB but somone who could spend his first few years learning & been a gadget play weapon. I kinda like the idea but would rather just take Bradford or Clausen at #4.

The_Hangman
11.02.2010, 10:15 PM
I'm firmly in Bradford bandwagon. We can get a decent OT in the second round, but not a QB.

Here's a youtube clip (yes, yes I know) of Bradford, showing his toughness, playing under centre, and throwing on the run.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ztPkDsOlGzU

Boltonian
11.02.2010, 10:36 PM
The redskins at the moment have 1 OL that is a worthwhile starter in the NFL
that is dockery, and he is not really a Shanahan type OL, it would be a shock
if Samuels and Thomas return. so if the Skins were to draft Bradford with the
4th pick they would need to pick up at least 3 OL in free-agency and another
2 or 3 in the draft, i am hoping that the Rams take Bradford with the 1st pick
and 1 of the 2 DT's fall to the 4th pick so that a team(S.F)would trade there
early 1st round and there 2nd round pick for our 4th pick. then i would take
2 OL and a RB or DT with our other 1st 3 picks.

Gman84
12.02.2010, 12:33 PM
I'm firmly in Bradford bandwagon. We can get a decent OT in the second round, but not a QB.

Here's a youtube clip (yes, yes I know) of Bradford, showing his toughness, playing under centre, and throwing on the run.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ztPkDsOlGzU

I really like Clausen because of his pro system experience but I think I'm on the Bradford bandwagon. The injuries are a concern but the 'Skins have his surgeon on board so will have the inside scoop on that and had Bradford not gotten injured he would have had one of the great college careers of recent times.

pj
12.02.2010, 05:53 PM
I really like Clausen because of his pro system experience but I think I'm on the Bradford bandwagon. The injuries are a concern but the 'Skins have his surgeon on board so will have the inside scoop on that and had Bradford not gotten injured he would have had one of the great college careers of recent times.

Hasn't he only really had one injury which got reinjured from him coming back too soon? Ive heard a lot about him being injury prone but I don't think he is.

The more I think about it the happier I am about the prospect of going QB. I quite like the look of both Clausen and Bradford and would be happy with both.

If we are going with the zone blocking scheme Shanahan ran in Denver then we will be able to find players in the later rounds that fit the mould instead of taking an OT at 4.

Boltonian
14.02.2010, 12:50 AM
Would anybody be interested in the Redskins taking OL with our 1st
2 picks of the draft then giving up our 4th round pick this year and our 3rd round
pick next year for michael Vick, over on the redskins website some fans are
hoping that the Skins try and get Moore the QB from the Panthers, some others
are saying why he's only had 5 starts(4 wins), but the fans that want him are saying
its better than giving up a 1st round pick on a QB that we don't know how he will
play in the NFL and has injury concerns, and vick would i think be a good fit for a
team that is trying to put together a new OL because he is agile and would be good
at throwing the ball outside the pocket.

pj
14.02.2010, 05:26 PM
Would anybody be interested in the Redskins taking OL with our 1st
2 picks of the draft then giving up our 4th round pick this year and our 3rd round
pick next year for michael Vick, over on the redskins website some fans are
hoping that the Skins try and get Moore the QB from the Panthers, some others
are saying why he's only had 5 starts(4 wins), but the fans that want him are saying
its better than giving up a 1st round pick on a QB that we don't know how he will
play in the NFL and has injury concerns, and vick would i think be a good fit for a
team that is trying to put together a new OL because he is agile and would be good
at throwing the ball outside the pocket.

I don't like the idea of getting someone to be a stop gap QB when we already have someone in Campbell who is capable of doing that if we want to address other needs.
I don't see any of the top OL being worthy of our first pick but there will still be good players around in the 2nd.

No one really knows what they will be getting from any QB but if we get chance to draft a franchise QB I think we should take it.

JD for breakfast
14.02.2010, 05:33 PM
I think trading back for more picks will be a good option so we get a position of need at a better price. I don't see any QB's or OL's worthy of being a 4th overall pick so trading back for an extra 2nd or 3rd round pick would be good seeing as we're already 2 picks short this year and there are plenty of linemen who will be floating around with 2nd round talent who will still be available later on

The_Hangman
14.02.2010, 11:53 PM
I think trading back for more picks will be a good option so we get a position of need at a better price. I don't see any QB's or OL's worthy of being a 4th overall pick so trading back for an extra 2nd or 3rd round pick would be good seeing as we're already 2 picks short this year and there are plenty of linemen who will be floating around with 2nd round talent who will still be available later on

But why would anyone trade up to No.4?

I can't see anyone valuing Bradford enough to give up multiple picks for the 4th spot.

It may be many years before we draft in the top 5 again. I say we stay pat, and draft the best player to suit our needs. Either a QB or a OT.

Gman84
15.02.2010, 09:29 AM
It all depends on the situation I guess. The one scenario I could see for a trade down is with the Browns for #8 if Eric Berry is still on the board but if One oc the QB's or OT's has already gone do you risk a trade down knowing someone like Seattle is targetting the same positions?

I too think you stand pat unless the situation is ideal to drop down just a few spots and all the prime Redskins targets are on the board. I'm hopeful of acquiring more draft picks via trading some RFA's (Campbell & Rogers).

JD for breakfast
16.02.2010, 05:42 PM
But why would anyone trade up to No.4?

I can't see anyone valuing Bradford enough to give up multiple picks for the 4th spot.

It may be many years before we draft in the top 5 again. I say we stay pat, and draft the best player to suit our needs. Either a QB or a OT.

Yeah that's a fair point. I'm just looking at getting the best value for a 4th overall pick for us. I don't think taking a player at 4th just because we might not get the chance to again for a while is the best way to look at having a top 5 pick. I suppose getting free agency out of the way in a couple of weeks will give us a pretty clear indication as to where we'll go

Riggo
22.02.2010, 01:01 AM
Be honest, did anyone see the headline for this thread and wonder "how did we move up so far in the draft?"

joefeery
22.02.2010, 05:14 AM
Be honest, did anyone see the headline for this thread and wonder "how did we move up so far in the draft?"
i did, didnt think you were that high

boltonredskin
22.02.2010, 08:33 AM
I must say I didn't wonder how we got so high up in this draft. This could be even more depressing than for those expressing astonishment.

I know its only February, but am I the only one getting a bit concerned about how inactive our off-season has been so far? We have many serious needs to be addressed and at the moment the silence is deafening. Must say I wasn't overly convinced by those close-season analyses that appeared on the Redskins website a few weeks back either. The first one on our offensive line wasn't too bad a piece of writing (it did at least manage to avoid giving off the sinking feeling of total panic that I get when considering our O-line), but the next one was then on the TE position. What's that about? That's one of the only positions on the field (apart from kickers etc) that we are actually OK for.

JD for breakfast
22.02.2010, 07:08 PM
I know its only February, but am I the only one getting a bit concerned about how inactive our off-season has been so far?

Free Agency doesn't start until March 5th so the only players we can pick up are those who are currently unattached and have no contract with any NFL club. Players usually go unattached for a reason (i.e. they're either recovering from long-term injuries or just generally aren't very good) so I wouldn't expect the players we pick up before Free Agency begins to have a major impact on the roster. No need to panic yet!

Boltonian
22.02.2010, 10:38 PM
With the roster we currently have how many starters could we get away with playing
next year, i have come up with a starting offence and defence and have left out the
positions that i think we really need to upgrade, taking into account no injury's.

QB - Campbell, RB - Portis, TE - Cooley, WR - Moss, Thomas, Kelly,
RT - (need), RG - Williams, - C - (need), LG - Dockery, - LT - (need).

DE - Haynesworth, DT - (need), DE - Alexander/Jarmon.
OLB - Mckintosh, ILB - Fletcher, ILB - (need), OLB - Orakpo.
CB - Hall, CB - Rogers, S - Landry, S - Doughty/Horton.

I make it 5 starters needed, RT, LT, C, DT,ILB.
With players to challenge RB,OLB, CB,S.
Altogether 9 players wanted, we have 5 draft picks and can pick up 4 in FA
not a lot for a team in the off-season.

What do you guys think?

wuds100
23.02.2010, 01:42 PM
With the roster we currently have how many starters could we get away with playing
next year, i have come up with a starting offence and defence and have left out the
positions that i think we really need to upgrade, taking into account no injury's.

QB - Campbell, RB - Portis, TE - Cooley, WR - Moss, Thomas, Kelly,
RT - (need), RG - Williams, - C - (need), LG - Dockery, - LT - (need).

DE - Haynesworth, DT - (need), DE - Alexander/Jarmon.
OLB - Mckintosh, ILB - Fletcher, ILB - (need), OLB - Orakpo.
CB - Hall, CB - Rogers, S - Landry, S - Doughty/Horton.

I make it 5 starters needed, RT, LT, C, DT,ILB.
With players to challenge RB,OLB, CB,S.
Altogether 9 players wanted, we have 5 draft picks and can pick up 4 in FA
not a lot for a team in the off-season.

What do you guys think?

I cant see all of the above being adressed this year though I can see us
filling a few holes on the O-Line,
With the Defense changing to a 3-4 I would assume that there will be teething
problems and that next year we will be looking to focus on that side of the ball.

boltonredskin
25.02.2010, 02:29 PM
I'd suggest that there's probably a chance that Stephon Heyer and Levi Jones might still be able to hold down one starting position between them (Heyer at RT, Jones at LT). That would also mean we don't have to start all the O-liner's we draft and can give them time to bed in. If my appalling maths is correct, that means we'll probably need to pick up 1 in FA and 1 in the first two rounds of the draft who will therefore, we can assume, be ready to start (with at least one more draftee waiting his chance further down the roster). That looks do-able, in my view, and we've still got whoever's left out of Jones/Heyer to add a bit of a depth. They're not starters, but they probably would see us OK through a minor injury crisis i.e. not what we've had the last 2 seasons.

We've picked up pretty good linebackers in Free Agency before so I'm not too worried about that.

With us changing to 3-4 that means we'll need a specialist nose tackle. I'm afraid I haven't looked into this position at all and know very little about it - what do the experts on here think? is there anyone in this position at the draft that is exciting commentators and analysts, or do you think we'll look for our DT in Free Agency and get an experienced guy?

wuds100
25.02.2010, 05:26 PM
I'd suggest that there's probably a chance that Stephon Heyer and Levi Jones might still be able to hold down one starting position between them (Heyer at RT, Jones at LT). That would also mean we don't have to start all the O-liner's we draft and can give them time to bed in. If my appalling maths is correct, that means we'll probably need to pick up 1 in FA and 1 in the first two rounds of the draft who will therefore, we can assume, be ready to start (with at least one more draftee waiting his chance further down the roster). That looks do-able, in my view, and we've still got whoever's left out of Jones/Heyer to add a bit of a depth. They're not starters, but they probably would see us OK through a minor injury crisis i.e. not what we've had the last 2 seasons.

We've picked up pretty good linebackers in Free Agency before so I'm not too worried about that.

With us changing to 3-4 that means we'll need a specialist nose tackle. I'm afraid I haven't looked into this position at all and know very little about it - what do the experts on here think? is there anyone in this position at the draft that is exciting commentators and analysts, or do you think we'll look for our DT in Free Agency and get an experienced guy?

From what is coming out of the mock drafts Dan Williams is the name that keeps
coming up first at NT, He is listed 6-3 and 327 pounds and described as a mauler
but looks a certainty to be off the board at the end of the first round so unless a
trade down with the Seahawks or the 49ers happens then we wont be picking him,
Terrance Cody might still be there for us in the second if you go with some of the boards
He is listed at 6-5 and 365 pounds so a huge guy who will surely plug up the run
and allow others to do there thing and might be a good value pick in the second round.

boltonredskin
25.02.2010, 08:04 PM
If I'm remembering correctly, isn't Cody the guy from Alabama who has problems with his weight and allegedly weighed in at well over 400 pounds at the start of one close season training? The discussion about him suggested that he would be terrific if he could keep himself at 365, but even better (and a genuine possible NFL star) at around 350? This was by no means a certainty.

If I am thinking right, then I'm guessing such well publicized problems would keep him off the 1st round, in which case we could pick him up in the 2nd. Still not entirely sure what would be the best fit either for our defense system, a huge mauler or a slightly smaller, nimbler player like Williams at around 325.

Either way, with the rate that good nose tackles are being snapped up on to new contracts, and the fact that there aren't enough of them to go round everyone who wants to play 3-4 anyway, we might not have too much choice by the time the draft comes around.

pacmanJ
27.02.2010, 09:56 AM
U guys want Russell Ukong.

The_Hangman
27.02.2010, 02:36 PM
With Bradford's added bulk, I have a feeling he will be gone by the time we pick at No.4 :(

liverbirdpie
28.02.2010, 01:27 PM
Cody weighed in at 354 lbs in the combine, but the trouble with him seems to be keeping the weight at the same level, he weighed in at 365 at the start of his senior year, and was near 380 at times through out. He could be a second round option, but there could be a lot of players dropping into the second round.

I still think we would be looking to trade out of fourth pick, looking for another draft pick in the first or second round

wuds100
02.03.2010, 10:04 AM
Interesting post on Hogs Haven on how our second rounder this year
could be a quite valuable pick given the split in days now with the draft,
With 24hrs to evaluate the players that have droppped out of the 1st round
its possible our pick (4th) in the second round could be a hot commodity.
Another trade idea that was also posted was a trade with Buffalo for there
1st rounder (9th overall) and Donte Whitner in exchange for Jason Campbell
and Chris Horton any thoughts?

pj
02.03.2010, 01:14 PM
Interesting post on Hogs Haven on how our second rounder this year
could be a quite valuable pick given the split in days now with the draft,
With 24hrs to evaluate the players that have droppped out of the 1st round
its possible our pick (4th) in the second round could be a hot commodity.
Another trade idea that was also posted was a trade with Buffalo for there
1st rounder (9th overall) and Donte Whitner in exchange for Jason Campbell
and Chris Horton any thoughts?

I would love that deal but it seems far too one sided!
The rumours about Whitner and Campbell wont go away and I think a lot of that has to do with the fact Whitner is buying a house nearby but im not sure if we can read too much into that.

skinsfan.uk
11.03.2010, 02:23 AM
If we don't trade out of the top 4 I hope we take the best lineman on the board. I don't follow college football so I'm not qualified to name a preference. Given the increases uncertainty around lower 1st round picks I think we are better off picking at 4 than trading, but I'd be open to trading our 2nd rounder if a good offer presents itself.

RickySanders
12.03.2010, 10:37 AM
The way things are panning out I hope we take Okung at #4.

Boltonian
14.03.2010, 10:01 PM
Just a quick thought, but if the Skins draft QB with the 4th pick and then get
probably the 6th or 7th best OT, would the Skins not be better off sending our
2nd round pick(37) to the Chargers for Marcus Mcneil who is only a 3 year vet
and 1 of the best tackles in the league, the Chargers have put a 1st and 3rd
round tender on him but a high 2nd rounder could do the trick. we could even
keep campbell to start hopefully trade down and pick up a OT in the 1st and
either take C or ILB with our extra 2nd.

JD for breakfast
16.03.2010, 06:17 PM
Well given that we've tendered JC to a 1st round pick it looks like he'll be a Redskin next season. I can't really see another team giving up a 1st rounder for him, aside from maybe Denver but they've gone for Brady Quinn. Whether Campbell will be a starter or not remains to be seen but the option to play him will be there.

I think he's got the talent to take us into the post-season, the question remains his temperament but with a better supporting cast around him he'll be under less pressure to carry the team by himself. If we go for Okung at #4 and take the best RB available at #37 I'd be pretty happy with Campbell as a starter

liverbirdpie
16.03.2010, 10:18 PM
You just wonder what trick is waiting up Bruce Allens sleeve. Maybe its the one thing (and only thing) that is missed about Vinny, but something big always happens around Redskins Park in free agency. You look at the likes of Jared Gaither, Marcus McNeil and Willie Colon available on tenders, I wouldnt see a first round pick being given up, but deals of some sort may get accepted. Barry Simms is expected to visit DC, and Mike Gandy is unrestricted so there is OL talent still around in free agency. It will be interesting to see just how much pressure Shanahan wants to put on Campbell, Clausen would be a direct competitor for the starting jersey. A second round pick (Pike, LeFevour, Snead or does McCoy drop that far) would be a project for the coaching staff. Either way, someone has to be brought in to put real pressure on Campbell to start performing if he is going to be first choice, and the sort of pressure that Todd Collins didnt give when JC was benched last year.

my_friend_goo
17.03.2010, 10:44 AM
You just wonder what trick is waiting up Bruce Allens sleeve. Maybe its the one thing (and only thing) that is missed about Vinny, but something big always happens around Redskins Park in free agency. You look at the likes of Jared Gaither, Marcus McNeil and Willie Colon available on tenders, I wouldnt see a first round pick being given up, but deals of some sort may get accepted. Barry Simms is expected to visit DC, and Mike Gandy is unrestricted so there is OL talent still around in free agency. It will be interesting to see just how much pressure Shanahan wants to put on Campbell, Clausen would be a direct competitor for the starting jersey. A second round pick (Pike, LeFevour, Snead or does McCoy drop that far) would be a project for the coaching staff. Either way, someone has to be brought in to put real pressure on Campbell to start performing if he is going to be first choice, and the sort of pressure that Todd Collins didnt give when JC was benched last year.

Maybe there is no trick. Sure, we've all been conditioned to expect it. Maybe the "retain picks to build through the draft and fill the gaps with serviceable veterans" approach is the trick? With the way free agency is playing out, OT would be a sensible pick and the biggest need right this minute, but the draft is still a little while away yet.

liverbirdpie
17.03.2010, 08:34 PM
Maybe there is no trick. Sure, we've all been conditioned to expect it. Maybe the "retain picks to build through the draft and fill the gaps with serviceable veterans" approach is the trick? With the way free agency is playing out, OT would be a sensible pick and the biggest need right this minute, but the draft is still a little while away yet.

I hope you're right to be fair. The advantage that Shanahan and Allen have is they can't make a bad decision, no matter if they fix QB or Tackle via the draft, both need fixing.

JD for breakfast
17.03.2010, 09:31 PM
Well the QB situation looks a little clearer with the addition of Rex Grossman, although that depends on what Shanahan thinks of Colt Brennan. Would a #4 draft pick be spent on a project QB when there are gaps still to be filled elsewhere on the roster at OT, RB and LB? I don't think we're done in FA yet so I'm still not 100% sure where we'll go

santana89
17.03.2010, 11:50 PM
Our roster is too much of a mess to take on a project QB at #4 who isn't guaranteed to improve us immediately.

wuds100
04.04.2010, 02:08 PM
Some interesting quotes from Bradford over the weekend talking
about how exciting it would be to play for a Shanahan offence and
also a video of him and his doctor who is also on the Redskins payroll talking
to Fox Sports DC channel a clip you can watch on Hogs Haven,
There where rumours circulating last week that Bradford would refuse a
deal with the Rams if they where to move for him which I would have thought
is unlikely though I would not be shocked if we tried to trade up.

skinsfan.uk
05.04.2010, 05:24 PM
The McNabb trade changes the mock draft boards. I assume we will pick Okung if the Lions go for Suh and Rams take Bradford but I hope that we are able to trade down 10 spots or so and still pick up a LT, maybe Campbell or possibly Bulaga. That risk may be too great however and Okung seems the most likely pick.

The_Hangman
05.04.2010, 05:28 PM
A trade down would be my preferred option, and pick up Bulaga plus AN Other.

citizenstu
05.04.2010, 05:46 PM
I think it comes down to who's around still.

We'll now do our best to shop Cambell for a 3rd round pick (or so). If we manage something the number of QBs on the roster is as was and McNabb is still a shorter term solution there.

Therefore if (by some bizarre means) Bradford is there at 4, we'll get him. We won't however feel the same about Clausen at 4.

If Okung is there we pull the trigger. But the Lions will be stupid to pass on Okung and he won't be there at 4.

therefore I think we try to trade down, but not very far.

The Chiefs are pretty much commited at QB and will probably go for a LT. So I think we have to sweet talk the Browns to come up and take Clausen ahead of the Bills. But the Browns will figure on Clausen being available when they draft (if they even want him). I think we struggle to generate enough interest in 4 and still have a 1st round pick in or just outside the top 10 where it's worth the risk of a potential LT still being around. In which case we have to take the best LT at 4 still.

The_Hangman
05.04.2010, 06:00 PM
Lions have traded for G Rob Sims.

This may mean they'll pass on Okung now.

citizenstu
05.04.2010, 06:32 PM
Lions have traded for G Rob Sims.

This may mean they'll pass on Okung now.

They still need to protect Stafford's blind side properly and so they still need an LT. That is, if they have any sense and they're listening to their QB.

They already screwed up passing on Oher last year and won't make the same mistake now they have the pick of whichever LT they fancy. Our best chance of Okung is either trading up (not likely) or the Lions falling for a different LT.

pj
05.04.2010, 08:24 PM
If the Ravens want Berry then I could see a deal for Gaither with us swapping first rounders and possible getting their 2.

If that were to happen we could take the best tackle available at 25 or even trade back up for Bulaga (who I prefer over Okung anyway) if he falls and have our starting tackles sorted for the foreseeable future!

I can dream at least..

Boltonian
05.04.2010, 11:01 PM
Hopefully we can get a QB hungry team to swap picks with the Skins( between the
7th and 13th picks) and pick up a high to mid 2nd rounder, Draft best available LT
with 1st round pick, then get best available OL in 2nd(G, T or C) then try and trade
1 of or package a couple of Campbell, Rogers, Carter, Landry or Haynesworth for the
best OT you can get. also please go easy on me for this but i would even consider
bringing in flozell Adams if we only pick up 1 starting caliber OT, he could start off
at LT and we could play the new draft pick OT on the right side until he is ready to
play LT.

lochhibs
05.04.2010, 11:20 PM
Hopefully we can get a QB hungry team to swap picks with the Skins( between the
7th and 13th picks) and pick up a high to mid 2nd rounder, Draft best available LT
with 1st round pick, then get best available OL in 2nd(G, T or C) then try and trade
1 of or package a couple of Campbell, Rogers, Carter, Landry or Haynesworth for the
best OT you can get. also please go easy on me for this but i would even consider
bringing in flozell Adams if we only pick up 1 starting caliber OT, he could start off
at LT and we could play the new draft pick OT on the right side until he is ready to
play LT.
i was thinking the same on adams but didnt want to post in case i got laughed at.wouldnt be too bad to give him a year or two contract as he would improve the o-line.maybe portis could come into the package to get traded if shanahan has a rb he likes lower in the draft he could get as parker and johnson would do for next year and a young rb could learn from.still dont think we have good enough wr though.

skinsfan.uk
06.04.2010, 12:00 PM
i was thinking the same on adams but didnt want to post in case i got laughed at.wouldnt be too bad to give him a year or two contract as he would improve the o-line.maybe portis could come into the package to get traded if shanahan has a rb he likes lower in the draft he could get as parker and johnson would do for next year and a young rb could learn from.still dont think we have good enough wr though.

If we sign Adams I think I will go on strike myself a season earlier than the players.

skinsfan.uk
07.04.2010, 12:00 PM
If we sign Adams I think I will go on strike myself a season earlier than the players.

Apparently we have contacted his agent so not looking too good!