PDA

View Full Version : Shock news - zorn fired!!!!!!!!

wuds100
04.01.2010, 01:00 PM
Good guy bad coach hope things work out for him.

my_friend_goo
04.01.2010, 01:10 PM
Lies! I don't believe you!

In all seriousness, though, thanks for the last two years, Jim. Yeah, probably not a lot of fans are going to say that, but if the only thing he truly accomplished in his two years as head coach was getting Vinny Cerrato fired, then in some twisted way it was worth it. Zorn was largely set up to fail (whether intentionally or not is irrelevant). Sure, his play calling left a lot to be desired at times, but the miserable mess from week 9 last season onwards was only in part down to him. He refused to get publicly involved in his own slow, torturous execution and for that we should all be grateful. I hope he's able to get a position somewhere else, perhaps as a QB coach again and that this hasn't been seriously damaging to his career - he doesn't deserve that.

Finally, when I saw the Skins play Arizona last season, the game was fantastic and the buzz surrounding the team was great fun. Sure it didn't last, but at least my birthday present was one of the best moments of his coaching career and that I witnessed the early '08 Redskins rather than the late '08-09 team.

I'm sure plenty of people will be less generous to Jim, but those are all big positives to me.

Harwich Hog
04.01.2010, 01:11 PM
Good guy bad coach hope things work out for him.

I received the Washington Post Email Alert at 10:41 this morning. It appears Zorn was fired at about 3am (Washington time) when the team arrived back this morning (ouch).

Presumably so that Shanahan can be announced this afternoon. I expect a similar email alert about 4pm this afternoon saying "Shanahan is on his way to Redskins park wearing a burgundy and gold tie". Meh, better than Maroon and Black.

Had Zorn been a bit of an a-hole as well as a bad coach I would be saying "good riddance" - but seeing as though he's been class throughout I shall just wish him good luck :)

citizenstu
04.01.2010, 01:22 PM
Bruce Allen is doing the monday press call - probably just to talk change at this stage but who knows, it may be to name Shanahan.

As for Jim Zorn, all I'd like to say is I saw my first live Redskins game last [year] season (2008) against the Cardinals, who of course went onto the Superbowl and we beat them and it was a good game. I'm never going to forget that game nor who called it and I'd say thank you to him if I had the chance for such a memorable experience. I hope he can take a step or 2 back, QB Coach or Offensive Assistant or something and get another shot.

wuds100
04.01.2010, 01:25 PM
I received the Washington Post Email Alert at 10:41 this morning. It appears Zorn was fired at about 3am (Washington time) when the team arrived back this morning (ouch).

Presumably so that Shanahan can be announced this afternoon. I expect a similar email alert about 4pm this afternoon saying "Shanahan is on his way to Redskins park wearing a burgundy and gold tie". Meh, better than Maroon and Black.

Had Zorn been a bit of an a-hole as well as a bad coach I would be saying "good riddance" - but seeing as though he's been class throughout I shall just wish him good luck :)

It appears that Shanahan getting the job is the worst kept secret in the NFL
right now, Hopefully it is this afternoon that they make some sort of announcement
on the matter and that they can get cracking straight away.

Harwich Hog
04.01.2010, 01:26 PM
Bruce Allen is doing the monday press call - probably just to talk change at this stage but who knows, it may be to name Shanahan.

As for Jim Zorn, all I'd like to say is I saw my first live Redskins game last year against the Cardinals, who of course went onto the Superbowl and we beat them and it was a good game. I'm never going to forget that game nor who called it and I'd say thank you to him if I had the chance for such a memorable experience. I hope he can take a step or 2 back, QB Coach or Offensive Assistant or something and get another shot.

I think Zorn has the capacity to call plays again (these two years will have given him some lessons learnt) unfortunately he needs a couple more and Snyder and the whole of Washington just isn't that patient. I'm not even sure the rest of the league is. Hopefully the money he's made in DC curbs his ambition and he just settles back into QB coach mode, where he is clearly better suited.

citizenstu
04.01.2010, 01:32 PM
It appears that Shanahan getting the job is the worst kept secret in the NFL
right now, Hopefully it is this afternoon that they make some sort of announcement
on the matter and that they can get cracking straight away.

I quite like the way rumours in the NFL pretty much always seem to be based on multiple sources talking to reporters who know what's happened and are pretty much there or there abouts rather than say as with the EPL where they are just as likely to be based on someone spreading nonsense as they are on source material and good journalism.

I've been posting today as though Shanahan is already announced just because I have such faith in the truth of the rumours. I'll be looking a fool if Bruce Allen says later "we're going for Gibbs v3".

washingtonredskins1
04.01.2010, 08:19 PM
he may be a nice guy but he was'nt good at it. he should have go back to seattle

lochhibs
05.01.2010, 12:23 AM
the job was too big for him from the start.he only got the job because no on else would take it then.lets hope snyder gets it right this time.