PDA

View Full Version : With the Shanahans in, any thoughts on Defense?

citizenstu
07.01.2010, 01:37 PM
So I guess the Mike Shanahan era officially began with yesterday's press conference. With Kyle Shanahan joining his Dad as OC, the backbone of the offensive scheme seems set.

So is the next big move on the Defensive side of the ball? So far I've seen the following names linked to the Defensive Coordinator role:

Jerry Gray - current Defensive Secondary coach and highly thought of by the Skins.
Mike Zimmer - DC at the Bengals.
Jim Haslett - last seen as a HC in the UFL
Bob Slowik - formerly with Shanaha at the Broncos
Slowik seems to be mentioned a little down the list, also I've seen a couple of other names banded about, and these are more likely for supporting roles.

So, any preferences from the above and do you think we'll still be running the 4-3 next season, or is an overhaul on its way?

Harwich Hog
07.01.2010, 01:55 PM
So I guess the Mike Shanahan era officially began with yesterday's press conference. With Kyle Shanahan joining his Dad as OC, the backbone of the offensive scheme seems set.

So is the next big move on the Defensive side of the ball? So far I've seen the following names linked to the Defensive Coordinator role:

Jerry Gray - current Defensive Secondary coach and highly thought of by the Skins.
Slowik seems to be mentioned a little down the list, also I've seen a couple of other names banded about, and these are more likely for supporting roles.

So, any preferences from the above and do you think we'll still be running the 4-3 next season, or is an overhaul on its way?

I'd prefer Zimmer out of those guys. We need a guy that can completely run a defence and allow Shanahan to concentrate on the offence.

I would be against switching to a 3-4 as has been suggested.

RickySanders
07.01.2010, 04:09 PM
My choice would be Zimmer, no question.

citizenstu
07.01.2010, 04:12 PM
Zimmer's the choice so far from a limited response and it is pretty difficult to look past him (I think) from the names banded around.

Would Zimmer mean there's a greater chance of a 3-4 though or would he play to the strengths of the personnel we have?

JD for breakfast
07.01.2010, 04:20 PM
I think we'd need a major roster overhaul on the defensive side of the ball to go to a 3-4 defense and I just don't think that's worth doing considering how defense-heavy our draft was last year (only Marko Mitchell in the 7th is an offensive player). It might get the best out of Orakpo as a DeMarcus Ware-style pass rusher at OLB but our LB corps is thin as it is and our needs are too great on the OL and at RB to ignore them in the draft for the sake of changing the defensive scheme.

As far as the DC job is concerned, I guess it depends on the result of the Jets v Bengals game this weekend. If the Bengals lose I think Zimmer will jump to the front of the queue, which is ok by me. I like the way the Bengals play D

wuds100
07.01.2010, 04:28 PM
Giving how the Bengals are going this year I would go for Zimmer
though I would not put too much investment into that side of the ball
this offseason.

cokey
07.01.2010, 07:35 PM
My preference along with most others on the thread would be zimmer but he may get snapped up by someone as a head coach. looks like there could be a few openings this off season and with the job he's done in cincy he must be on the HC radar now.

liverbirdpie
07.01.2010, 08:03 PM
JD,Given we could be going into an uncapped year, and the fact there is some running back talent potentially heading into free agency, would anyone see value in looking at the likes of Darren Sproles, Mike Bell, Cadillac Williams or even (injury healing up pending) Leon Washington? Given the obvious need to sure up the OL in the draft, an "every down" RB will be hard to pick up later in the draft (unless there is a miracle and we get 2 extra first round picks via franchise tagging Jason Campbell)

Also, I read a week or so ago of interest in Shawne Merriman from the 'Skins. He's struggled this season following injury, and could be asking for crazy money. With Fletch, Rocky and Orakpo already in place, it would be hard to see room for Merriman, but wondered if anyone had any thoughts on the topic?

In response to the actual thread, I think Zimmer would be great, but possibly a long shot as he may want to stay and develop the defence at the Bengals further, or go in search of a HC job.

Slowik I would expect to come to the 'Skins, but as an assistant rather than Co-ordinator.

Gman84
07.01.2010, 09:48 PM

No to Slowik for a start. Gray I like but I'd like to see a complete clear out so pass. Haslett is priven in the NFL but his las tcouple of stops were poor. Zimmer did a good job in Dallas and was then asked to switch to a 3-4 which he is not really the type to run but did ok. Done a good job with the Bengals. I like the fact he runs a 4-3 but has some 304 experience to put some 3-4 looks into a scheme. He'd be my preference.

lochhibs
08.01.2010, 01:27 AM
zimmer would be a good choice for me.hes done a good job with 4-3 defences in the past and i dont think we should change to a 3-4.the defence did ok this season and a couple of personell changes is all thats needed.most of the work needed is on offence and shanahan should concentrate on that.get zimmer in and keep gray and they can look after the defence.

jklcan1
08.01.2010, 08:59 AM
any time i have watched the bengals this season,the comms are always banging on about how zimmer is so popular with the bengals staff and players.

citizenstu
08.01.2010, 02:37 PM
any time i have watched the bengals this season,the comms are always banging on about how zimmer is so popular with the bengals staff and players.

Googling Zimmer and Redskins (or something) last night I've seen an article that suggested he didn't think he was fairly rewarded and was after more money and if the Bengals put up, he was back there otherwise he was gone. Like that or not, one thing we have to throw his way is cash.

jklcan1
08.01.2010, 04:20 PM
well,thats one of the few things that the skins have been good at in recent times,flashing the cash.

JD for breakfast
12.01.2010, 07:33 PM
Looks like the Bengals have stumped up the cash Zimmer wanted. What's everyone's thought's on Jim Haslett?

http://blogs.nfl.com/2010/01/12/haslett-interviews-for-redskins-d-coordinator-job/

Gman84
12.01.2010, 10:25 PM
Haslett earned his rep as a DC but I don't think he's had so much success recently. I do like the idea of Tim Krumie as DL coach, Joe Gibbs tried to get him a after he hired Gregg Williams and I liked the guy as a player, very tough, good experience, he might get the best out of Fat Albert.

Gman84
13.01.2010, 05:10 AM
Haslett's got the job, expected to run a 3-4....

citizenstu
13.01.2010, 08:31 AM
Haslett's got the job, expected to run a 3-4....

Or at least some 3-4 elements - maybe a hybrid D?

Well, thank goodness we've got plenty of linebackers to fit this scheme! :rolleyes:

Let's hope Haslett pans out well - he's had some success on defense with the Steelers but perhaps not as much as you'd like to see.

wuds100
13.01.2010, 01:03 PM
I can now see a push for extra picks or a big plunge in FA to get players
in to setup a 3-4 scheme.

JD for breakfast
16.01.2010, 04:56 PM
Would love to see Orakpo in a 3-4. He'll dominate. Fat Albert might spit his dummy out if he has to play nose tackle though. I can't see any of our current ends playing on a 3-man line either, except maybe Phillip Daniels, but he's 36 now and looking at retiring I imagine

Spartan Off.Tackle
17.01.2010, 11:13 PM
I sure as hell hope we dont run the 3-4 with the personnel we have. Jeez.

Boltonian
18.01.2010, 09:02 PM
Possible front 3 in a 3-4 scheme,

Griffin - Montgomery - Haynesworth

LB,

Mcintosh - (FA or Draft) - Fletcher - Orakpo

wuds100
19.01.2010, 02:29 AM
Cant see us making a total conversion to 3-4 without 2-3 pickups
on the D, If we do decide to go 3-4 then we may as well go straight
into it this year as its unlikely that we are going to contend this year
thus giving us time to make the transition.

pj
19.01.2010, 12:54 PM
I could see Jarmon as one of the ends if we make the permanent move to 3-4 and there are a few good 3-4 players heading to FA this year that we can look at.

It will be interesting to see what happens with Carter as he isn't suited to playing in the 3-4.

steblin
19.01.2010, 01:40 PM
I agree, whether we switch to a 3-4 or stay 4-3 I think we'll see alot of Jarmon at LE this year.

Also maybe a 3-4 NT could be the position to get the best out of Monty ... So you could have:

Jarmon/Montgomery/Haynesworth

x/Fletcher/Rocky/Orakpo

Also maybe get some more use out of Chris Wilson in that lineup as an outside rushing backer.

JD for breakfast
20.01.2010, 05:39 PM
Possible front 3 in a 3-4 scheme,

Griffin - Montgomery - Haynesworth

LB,

Mcintosh - (FA or Draft) - Fletcher - Orakpo

It's unlikely that Griffin will return next year, given his age. Our second inside LB will have to come from FA as is it would be moronic to spend a high draft pick on a LB given our needs elsewhere, so unless we unearth a gem in the later rounds, we won't get a starting LB from the draft this year.

washingtonredskins1
26.01.2010, 10:52 PM

anybody who's got a sense of playing the game and not the rubbish that we had this year