PDA

View Full Version : Change is coming! List of vets released by Redskins

steblin
04.03.2010, 10:16 PM
--------------------
News Alert: Redskins release veteran core of team
05:00 PM EST Thursday, March 4, 2010
--------------------

Redskins release Ladell Betts, Fred Smoot, Randy Thomas, Rock Cartwright, Cornelius Griffin and Antwaan Randle El

Just got this e-mail update from the Washington Post. Glad to see we're getting rid of some of the supider contracts and overpaid players (Randle El!).

Change is coming Redskins fans, interested (even more so) to see what we do in Free Agency / draft now,

pj
04.03.2010, 10:20 PM
Its nice to see them make changes for once!

Can't really argue with any of those cuts.

Riggo
05.03.2010, 01:41 AM
When you only win 4 games it is easy make the cuts.

boltonredskin
05.03.2010, 08:29 AM
I liked Randle El a great deal when he first came in, but he's got slowly less and less productive as time has gone on. We have some very promising young players in the receivers corps, so its time to see if they can step up. I know he has various problems around him and hasn't always been great in Seattle, but I was a little disappointed that Detroit moved so fast for Nate Burleson, I thought we might have taken a look at him as a potential signing.

Can't really argue with any of the other cuts as people have already said. They've all been decent enough players in their time but its time to move on and rebuild under Shanahan. As has already been said, getting rid of a few of the more over-inflated contracts can't do us any harm either. Washington urgently need to ditch this tag of the franchise owned by the guy with more money than sense - its not doing us any good in the market.

steblin
05.03.2010, 10:19 AM
Here's the full list of cuts and tenders:

Cuts
RB Ladell Betts
RB Rock Cartwright
QB Todd Collins
DT Cornelius Griffin
RB Marcus Mason
WR Antwaan Randle El
DL J.D. Skolnitsky
CB Fred Smoot
G Randy Thomas
FB Eddie Williams

Tenders
QB Jason Campbell - Original Round (First)
CB Carlos Rogers - Original Round (First)
S Reed Doughty - Second Round
DL Kedric Golston - Second Round
T Stephon Heyer - Second Round
LB Rocky McIntosh - Second Round
LB Chris Wilson - Second Round
DT Anthony Montgomery - Original Round (Fifth)
OL Will Montgomery - Original Round (Seventh)
LB Lorenzo Alexander - Right of First Refusal

Although Collins has been a solid backup I'm kind of glad he's on his way, gives a younger player to get a chance hopefully!

boltonredskin
05.03.2010, 01:18 PM
Although Collins has been a solid backup I'm kind of glad he's on his way, gives a younger player to get a chance hopefully!

That just about sums up my thoughts on the matter too. Looking at all the draft talk it looks like it will be someone new who gets their chance there, but I'm still hoping it might be Colt Brennan who gets the go. I know he'll probably never do anything for us, but he's the kind of player who I can see being let go, then someone else will take him and mould him into an excellent NFL QB...

Gman84
05.03.2010, 03:36 PM
Casey Rabach has re-upped for 3 years, $12.3m and Lorenzo Alexander got a three year deal. Happy to have both back, Rabach should fit well in the ZBS and Alexander could be an interesting player in the new scheme. He's played all along the DL before now there is talk of him at OLB. I could see him being a guy who lines up all over the place, on the line, inside and outside linebacker. Be something to watch for.

Riggo
06.03.2010, 02:45 AM
The mood around town is more offseason flailing about that will be fruitless. How many times did I hear "by this time last year we had Haynesworth signed"

pj
06.03.2010, 08:35 AM
The mood around town is more offseason flailing about that will be fruitless. How many times did I hear "by this time last year we had Haynesworth signed"

Well i'm more than happy to pass on the title of off season champs for once. This just shows me that Snyder really is letting Shanny run things which is great to see.

JD for breakfast
06.03.2010, 03:47 PM
It's probably a case of no news being good news, as far as our previous off-season dealings go. Our roster needed to get younger across the board and cutting these guys is a good start. I don't think we have enough draft picks to cover all these holes so some signings need to be made

skinsfan.uk
11.03.2010, 02:16 AM
No gripes with any of these cuts, older players in general on the down slide. We look to be building for the future and not splashing out on big name FAs in positions we don't really need (Peppers and Dansby). Would like to see us make a couple more signings before draft day for depth but so far I'm satisfied with how we're approaching FA.

JD for breakfast
12.03.2010, 05:08 PM
I wouldn't have minded seeing us go for Dansby. It looks as though we'll be at 3-4 at least part of the time from now on and our LB corps is pretty thin on the ground to cover 2 ILB's and 2OLB's, especially with Fletcher not getting any younger

santana89
12.03.2010, 06:13 PM
Maybe the last administration would have gone for Dansby. In my eyes he's a flash signing, Dolphins have thrown way too much money at him in my opinion.