PDA

View Full Version : Rex Grossman Signs

RickySanders
17.03.2010, 02:36 PM
http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2010/03/17/redskins-add-rex-grossman/

Does this now mean we will take Okung at #4 ?????
Grossman to back up JC.

santana89
17.03.2010, 03:23 PM
Has to be. Take Okung at #4 and draft a QB in the mid-rounds.

PavlovsDog
17.03.2010, 04:10 PM
I doubt the signing of a back up scrub like Grossman has much impact on the draft objectives.

If the Skins were considering the possibility of going QB in Round 1 before this signing, I don't see how this deal changes that possibility.

santana89
17.03.2010, 04:19 PM
That's what I initially thought. But I like to look on the optimistic side of these things. :D

If Bradford is not on the board, I don't think we should bother until the 2nd round. Clausen is too much of a risk at #4 in my opinion.

RickySanders
17.03.2010, 05:25 PM
I doubt the signing of a back up scrub like Grossman has much impact on the draft objectives.

If the Skins were considering the possibility of going QB in Round 1 before this signing, I don't see how this deal changes that possibility.

I just dont think we'd dive JC a 1st round tender and sign Grossman whilst having Colt on the roster as a project, and also look to Draft a QB at #4. I believe the only way we will draft a QB in Round 1 now is if Bradford is there at #4 - not going to happen. I think Shanahan has the QB's set. With Portis and Johnson in the Backfield, I think we will go Okung at #4 and then draft a RB in the mid rounds.

PavlovsDog
17.03.2010, 05:31 PM
I just dont think we'd dive JC a 1st round tender and sign Grossman whilst having Colt on the roster as a project, and also look to Draft a QB at #4. I believe the only way we will draft a QB in Round 1 now is if Bradford is there at #4 - not going to happen. I think Shanahan has the QB's set. With Portis and Johnson in the Backfield, I think we will go Okung at #4 and then draft a RB in the mid rounds.

But you could probably just cut either of Grossman and Brennan. At this stage, Grossman is merely insurance.

wuds100
17.03.2010, 06:39 PM
Cant see Okung being there at 4 given that Detroit has taken a
DT in FA.

PavlovsDog
17.03.2010, 06:41 PM
Cant see Okung being there at 4 given that Detroit has taken a
DT in FA.

This is also by no means a given. (By the way, not to be pedantic, but they traded for a DT). It still doesn't mean they are set at the position and if Suh is the player he is hyped to be, the Lions would still find it hard to pass.

santana89
17.03.2010, 07:18 PM
But you could probably just cut either of Grossman and Brennan. At this stage, Grossman is merely insurance.

I think Brennan will be cut eventually.

liverbirdpie
17.03.2010, 08:48 PM
I think Brennan will be cut eventually.

I agree, there are still questions over his IR status last year.

Grossman is a clever signing for me, a year spent under Kyle and LaFleur at the Texans, at the very least he will be there to be a voice familiar with the change in system, someone to aid Campbell understanding the change. I think it does now point to OL or trade out of #4 for more picks and more OL draft wise, and pick up a project in the second round

cokey
17.03.2010, 08:54 PM
I may be a very lonely voice on this one but don't forget Interceptasaurous Rex led the Bears to a Super Bowl all be it on the back of an excellent defense which even through all the turmoil and nonsense of the last couple of years the Redskins have had. I think Campbell should be given the opportunity to prove himself under Shanahan but RG is a serviceable back up without a doubt, better him than an un-proven if JC went down early in the season.

boltonredskin
20.03.2010, 09:12 AM
Grossman is a good, solid back-up, and that should mean Campbell gets a decent chance to show Shanahan what he can do. If we do have to play Grossman at some point, well, he's been able to get it done in the past and provided too much isn't asked of him there's no reason he can't be decent for us too. Hopefully our running game stays healthy this year, which would take the pressure off Rex a bit (as was the situation for him in Chicago). Would still like to see Brennan step up into our back-up role, as I too think he has huge potential if he's given the right coaching, but being on IR last year has put question marks over him, and having a solid veteran back-up to fight it out for a roster spot with all through the close-season will be good for him too I think.

I'm quite happy about this signing. Especially if, as people have already suggested, that means we can look straight at O-Line with our no.4 pick.

Conrad1974
20.03.2010, 04:34 PM
I dont think the fact that Colt was on IR last season put question marks over him at all, to the contrary I would say. He had a less than impressive pre-season than the previous season from what I remember, but they put him on IR for a questionable reason, ie just so that no-one could pick him up off waivers.

See: Stan Humphries with Blood Disorder on IR in around 1989.

BAZILBARRY
21.03.2010, 01:48 AM
I haven`t quite got over this embarrsing episode yet...
Wtf.....
Various forums I frequent elswhere are stil laughing...