PDA

View Full Version : Trip to NY

Harwich Hog
25.03.2010, 11:54 AM
After a little bit of advice gents if you can help...

My girlfriend and I have booked a 5 day holiday to New York. Part of the previso being that if we went i'd like to go and see an NFL game while we were there and she agreed. (Like a trip to NY isn't cool enough).

Unfortunately as the dates for this year's schedule haven't been announced yet I have to hope a game falls kindly. I had my eye on a game at Fedex or perhaps the Giants road game.

Questions I have are:

Is the trip from NY to DC feasible in one day?
If it's the Giants game would I be safe wearing a Redskins jersey there?

washingtonredskins1
25.03.2010, 03:44 PM
After a little bit of advice gents if you can help...

My girlfriend and I have booked a 5 day holiday to New York. Part of the previso being that if we went i'd like to go and see an NFL game while we were there and she agreed. (Like a trip to NY isn't cool enough).

Unfortunately as the dates for this year's schedule haven't been announced yet I have to hope a game falls kindly. I had my eye on a game at Fedex or perhaps the Giants road game.

Questions I have are:

accordng to google maps its about 4 hrs and 20 min by car to get from new york to washington state

and i would of thought you would be safe but i suggest not just in case. you never know whos going to be there

irreverentad
25.03.2010, 03:55 PM
accordng to google maps its about 4 hrs and 20 min by car to get from new york to washington state

and i would of thought you would be safe but i suggest not just in case. you never know whos going to be there

Thats quick to Washington State!! *winky thing*

Boltonian
25.03.2010, 10:55 PM
Have been over twice in last 4 years to fed-ex. the first time i went to DC i
went via new york, and the internal flight from DC to new york took about 50
minutes, that could be your best bet.

my_friend_goo
26.03.2010, 09:16 AM
As Harwich already knows, I've given my view on this over on the Extremeskins board. However, I'll take this opportunity to say that if you get the chance whilst in NY, pop by here:

http://www.gingerman-ny.com/

Makes a nice change from the typical disappointing American beers, if that's what floats your boat.

washingtonredskins1
26.03.2010, 10:19 AM
Have been over twice in last 4 years to fed-ex. the first time i went to DC i
went via new york, and the internal flight from DC to new york took about 50
minutes, that could be your best bet.

which games did you see and how did you get tickets?

citizenstu
29.03.2010, 12:55 PM

I'd concur with Boltonian (unless you were particularly wanting to hire a car and spend large amounts of time in it) you can manage on public transport. When I went to DC I flew to NY then had an internal flight to Reagan National. I taxied from the Airport to the hotel as I had luggage but you can take the Metro from there to the Stadium. It's a bit of a trek but I was there the year it kicked-off over the buses and there were none. There's info on the official Skins site about transport to the stadium and if you google Washington Metro you'll find a map.

Your best bet though would be to go to a game in NY for ease.

Can't comment specifically on the Giants game at NY but my overall view is Football (American) is not like Football (Association) but more like Cricket (if you go). I've walked happily around Atlanta in various Redskins tees/caps and went to the game in my Jersey. In DC (technically MD) I saw us play the Cards and there were a couple of Cowboys fans at the game in attire. Maybe some places are different but I'd bet there'd be a fair few fans who'd make the road trip.

For others asking the question, I got my tickets as part of a package from FanFare events. Not brave enough to rely on a tout but you could do that or use the offical NFL onward ticketseller - is it ticketmaster? I'd guess you'd just have to sort out paying extra for international postage with the seller, or get them sent to a US address (see if your hotel will hold them for you or you can set up your own PO Box type thing in America, if you can be bothered with that, are the options I know about).

Jack Presley
02.04.2010, 08:31 AM
I'd say with the new Giants stadium opening up this season, it'll be hard to get tickets for a game in NY.

Have you considered a college game?

Riggo
05.04.2010, 06:44 PM
You might consider taking the train between NY and DC.

http://www.amtrak.com/servlet/ContentServer?pagename=Amtrak/HomePage

Edit: Philly and Boston are also possibilities as well if taking a train. Compared to the UK, US rail service is almost non-existent. However, the DC-Boston corridor has something approaching a real train service.

my_friend_goo
06.04.2010, 02:35 PM
You might consider taking the train between NY and DC.

http://www.amtrak.com/servlet/ContentServer?pagename=Amtrak/HomePage

Edit: Philly and Boston are also possibilities as well if taking a train. Compared to the UK, US rail service is almost non-existent. However, the DC-Boston corridor has something approaching a real train service.

That was my suggestion. Was what I did on my trip, although it was a one-way journey. I'd trust the train a bit more than I would the roads, 'specially on game day.

Harwich Hog
20.04.2010, 09:57 PM
I think i've just got lucky. I think the Skins play @ the Giants the week i'm there if i'm worked it out right... :eek:

bryanod
21.04.2010, 04:57 AM
I'll actually be in DC for the Houston game so may have to pop along to it, was gonna try stubhub and the likes for tickets presume my best bet?

Best of all its the 4pm game so I can watch Miami beat the vikes first :D

my_friend_goo
21.04.2010, 08:31 AM
I think i've just got lucky. I think the Skins play @ the Giants the week i'm there if i'm worked it out right... :eek:

Hope so - that'd save you a lot of hassle.

Harwich Hog
21.04.2010, 11:07 AM
Hope so - that'd save you a lot of hassle.

Yep December 5th :)

1 in 17 chance of the Giants road game falling on that weekend. Lucky-lucky.

citizenstu
21.04.2010, 11:55 AM
Yep December 5th :)

1 in 17 chance of the Giants road game falling on that weekend. Lucky-lucky.

Make sure you put the lottery on this weekend too ;)

It's actually great to know it's worked out for you - I'll admit it was tempting to say you should've waited before booking but that wouldn't've been constructive. Easy to say now it's all fine though!

Just make sure you get those tickets at any cost!

citizenstu
21.04.2010, 11:59 AM
I'll actually be in DC for the Houston game so may have to pop along to it, was gonna try stubhub and the likes for tickets presume my best bet?

Best of all its the 4pm game so I can watch Miami beat the vikes first :D

Stubhub sell on Skins tickets but I was always under the impression they didn't ship to the UK. I could be very wrong? So your options are talk to your hotel (or via your travel agent) and see if you can use their address and they'll hold them for you.

I've never done this but it was the plan a couple of years back until I found a different travel agent who'd get the tickets posted here.