PDA

View Full Version : McNabb traded for 2nd plus 3rd/4th picks

wuds100
05.04.2010, 01:37 AM
http://www.nfl.com/news/story?id=09000d5d817558a4&template=with-video-with-comments&confirm=true

Crazy move

Gman84
05.04.2010, 01:41 AM
I like it...

wuds100
05.04.2010, 01:46 AM
I like it...

Not with you on this one Gman,
At 33 for him to take us to the big one we will have to
get good quick, Though a improved O-Line next year should
at least give us a outside shot of the playoffs.

liverbirdpie
05.04.2010, 07:02 AM
This move does have some sense about it but only if other things happen. I personally would have prefered it if the Haynesworth option would have been taken, but this could be the start of a merry-go-round.

Our second round pick would have been a QB (given the obvious need for OL 1st round).

The options here would have been a McCoy, a Tebow etc. Not really boat floaters for action next year but definate projects for the future. McNabb gives you an NFL ready QB with lots of playoff experience.

For the move to work fully though, Campbell has to be on the block. He's on a first round tender, but a 2nd round trade would put us back level if not a touch ahead. Could this also be a signal that we are to move away from a West Coast Offense? For what its worth we could pick up another draft pick (2nd / 3rd round) for Portis, and have a near full shot at the draft.

Gman84
05.04.2010, 02:54 PM
Brett Favre is in the NFC Championship game at 40, John Elway had his best years under Shanny in his mid to late 30's. McNabb still has plenty left and he is a massive upgrade on Campbell. It does get better if we can recoup picks with a slide down from #4 (and still get a LT) and deal Campbell for a pick (I think a 4th or 5th is about as good as we'll get or a conditional 2011 pick).

McNabb needs to produce quickly I agree but he's more capable of that than a rookie or Campbell and he is a good fit for what Shanny does on offense. I still think he's got 3 or 4 good years left in him barring serious injury, maybe a bit longer. I like this move more as I get use to it.

santana89
05.04.2010, 04:22 PM
I'm so unsure on this. Sure it's an immediate upgrade on JC but for how long? Is a 33 year-old really worth picks of this value?

With the additions of McNabb, Johnson and Parker we've really got to expect playoffs in the next couple of years otherwise we'll look the idiot again for giving away valuable draft picks.

We're also very light in the draft now, if Lions take Okung then we're screwed. We could have Manning and Chris Johnson but it wouldn't matter behind the current state of our O-line. Hopefully someone sees Campbell worthy of a 3rd.

skinsfan.uk
05.04.2010, 04:59 PM
I'm so unsure on this. Sure it's an immediate upgrade on JC but for how long? Is a 33 year-old really worth picks of this value?

With the additions of McNabb, Johnson and Parker we've really got to expect playoffs in the next couple of years otherwise we'll look the idiot again for giving away valuable draft picks.

We're also very light in the draft now, if Lions take Okung then we're screwed. We could have Manning and Chris Johnson but it wouldn't matter behind the current state of our O-line. Hopefully someone sees Campbell worthy of a 3rd.

I like the move. Massive upgrade and we have gone from the worst to the best QB in the division. Johnson and Parker will push Portis for the starting RB position and we gave up nothing to get them. They are low risk additions and I like the signings, although we do need a new young RB and with few draft picks and other needs on the team, I don't think we can pick one up this offseason now.

If we can get 3-4 years out of McNabb then it should work out well. He only has 1 year left and a $6m (I think that's right) roster bonus due in May so a new deal is top priority right now. We would however be naive to judge this now, the possible JC trade for a 3rd rounder should be thrown into the mix as well - meaning we basically got McNabb for our 2nd rounder.

The_Hangman
05.04.2010, 05:26 PM
I had a feeling we would do someting like this, but it still comes as a shock.

Typical Bruce Allen move. He likes his vets.

citizenstu
05.04.2010, 05:58 PM
This move does have some sense about it but only if other things happen. I personally would have prefered it if the Haynesworth option would have been taken, but this could be the start of a merry-go-round.

Our second round pick would have been a QB (given the obvious need for OL 1st round).

It would've been better if they'd've taken Haynesworth but I don't think I care. I'm not the biggest McNabb fan from an overall stand point but I still think we've now got the best QB in the NFC East.

We were pretty much taking a QB at 4 - everyone has opinions and that's mine but people much more knowledgeable than me pretty much had Clausen locked in to us at 4 and it was by far the most likely scenario unless he disappointed between now and the draft.

So we no longer have a 2nd rounder with which to draft a lower quality college LT who probably projects to RT in the pro's. So what? It's much more likely we now have pick 4 to take pretty much which LT we want, barring Okung.

Maybe we also manage to ship Campbell for a 3rd rounder now where we pick up a RT or G.

Of course, that's assuming Shanahan doesn't draft a QB to groom while he has the chance still!

Britskin
05.04.2010, 08:37 PM
Not sure about this move.

lochhibs
05.04.2010, 10:38 PM
absolutely delighted with this move but would also have been happier if the haynesworth option had been taken.
does anyone think picking up a wr on free agency would help?
i also expect more movement in the coming weeks before the draft.maybe haynesworth and campbell moving out for picks.
all in all im delighted with the work done so far by shanahan and allen.signed a few vets on short but incentive based contracts.lets hope that mcnabb signs a new contract sooner rather than later.

sKiNsFaN
05.04.2010, 11:26 PM
Nuts. :(

Another attempt at a quick fix but sooner or later we have to get lucky. Maybe it's this one.

I will call him.. 'McNabb'.

skinsfan.uk
06.04.2010, 11:58 AM
Another thing to consider with this trade is whether 2011 will be a lockout. If it is then this trade loses a lot of value given he is 34 mid way through the season. But all in all I am willing to sit back and wait before judging this move, we know he can play but I am not sure how he will stand up behind our O Line and there may be further moves in the works in terms of trading players for draft picks - Campbell, Haynesworth, Landry, Carter, Rogers, Cooley/Davis could all be on the block.

wuds100
06.04.2010, 12:56 PM
I would prefer to keep Fat Al and use him outside the NT though
he is kicking his feet a bit I would still try and get him to buy into this,
After all he was probably our best player last year and is still a huge
difference maker on the D.

my_friend_goo
06.04.2010, 03:01 PM
I can see why this has happened and I annoyingly sit on the fence with regards to this one. I can't get too carried away as McNabb still has to prove himself as a Redskin and there's much to do on with the line. Either #4 or #37 was going on a QB, though, and they have just as much a chance of being a bust as being a success. They are all unknown quantities. Granted, if Clausen or one of the (likely) second rounders turns into an all-pro, this move may be regarded as a mistake. But hindsight is everything when it comes to player evaluation and front office decisions.

I can't see McNabb not being an upgrade over Campbell. He runs an offence with some similarities as Shanahan's Denver days and succeeded with at times an above average supporting cast. I don't think anybody expects Campbell to develop into a genuine franchise QB, not anymore and whilst I think they've perhaps given up on a solid but unspectacular player, it was pretty inevitable.

Only time will tell whether this was inspired or lunacy. The one thing concerning me is the lack of picks in the upcoming draft, but this could be rectified in the days leading up to the draft.

liverbirdpie
06.04.2010, 07:18 PM
It will be interesting to see what happens with Brandon Marshall now, there is a lot of talk about him being the next player into us via a trade. Landry may not appeal to the Broncos, but Haynesworth just might.

Interestingly, both players have just had their contracts re negotiated and bonus' paid, with the thought being that it makes sense to take pressure the cap at a later date. But seemingly now the thought has been toward making both players more appealing in a trade situation by not having massive figures hanging over them.

Campbell is now training away from Redskins Park, so his days are numbered. I just hope we get some value for him, 3rd round seems to be touted as maximum requirement for his services

JD for breakfast
06.04.2010, 10:39 PM
It will be interesting to see what happens with Brandon Marshall now, there is a lot of talk about him being the next player into us via a trade. Landry may not appeal to the Broncos, but Haynesworth just might.

Don't Denver run a 3-4 on D? Albert won't like to go there if they do