PDA

View Full Version : Fat Albert on the move......

JD for breakfast
06.04.2010, 10:34 PM
....according unofficial sources anyway as he's apparently on the trade block. I don't know who will go for a player notorious for being disruptive AND is on a big fat wedge of cash but it looks like Shanahan has had enough of the big fella using his own personal trainer, skipping pre-season and moaning about playing in a 3-4

skinsfan.uk
07.04.2010, 11:52 AM
Shannahan is clearly trying to instill a new mentality into the organization. Haynesworth is not showing the right attitude and Shannahan is having none of it. Somebody will bite on this one but not sure we will get much more that a late 2nd or a 3rd rounder. I will be surprised if Campbell and Haynesworth are the only 2 players traded before the draft as well. We have to injuect some youth into this team and with free agency being what it is this year with regard to no moves being made on RFAs, the draft is the only way to do it.

Gman84
07.04.2010, 01:07 PM
If we could deal Haynesworth, Campbell and maybe Rogers and Landry we could have a hatful of picks come draft day. Looks like the move for Adam Carriker may still happen too.

wuds100
07.04.2010, 02:35 PM
Cant see us getting a 1st rounder for any of the players mentioned
but maybe if we can pickup two 2nd rounders then turn that into a first
we could be in business for a second Tackle to go with whoever we take
with the 4th pick, Brandon Marshall is getting linked but will probably cost
at least a 1st rounder maybe putting Kelly on the block might bring in something
and Marko Mitchell could take over from him.

my_friend_goo
08.04.2010, 12:19 PM
I'm just not sure where to stand on this argument. I'm pretty sure Haynesworth played some part in the standout seasons of Andre Carter and Brian Orakpo, even if he didn't produce standout stats himself. However, he does seem to have an attitude and a fitness problem and really needs to get himself producing this year to be worth anything. However, the D-line possibilites for 3-4 line-ups is pretty thin as it goes - our potential/other new D(N)T is still hampered by an injury and comes with no guarantee of extensive playing time. If he can be traded for picks than can be used to gain a genuine 3-4 NT, I can see some logic in this idea, but if not alienating him too much when he's staying around is hardly going to motivate him to be an every down player.

I'll be interested to see mandatory mini-camp and training camp reports. Last time we had a head coach who riled up veterans with his off-season habits was when Schottenheimer was in charge. He wouldn't have stood for this either. Remarkably, given the team he had and the sound beatings they took over 5 games, he was able to turn around that bunch of misfits and get an 8-8 season from them. I'm sure I've seen him quoted as saying that given what he had to work with, that's one of his biggest achievements as a head coach. Let's hope Shanahan can do the same or better.

JD for breakfast
08.04.2010, 10:05 PM
To be fair to Shanahan, Haynesworth is the only vet who seems to have crossed the line. Everybody else has voluntarily turned up every day (as far as I know) and had nothing but good things to say about the new regime. Schottenheimer had a lot more to deal with

Gman84
12.04.2010, 04:58 PM
Therefore, this is a good two piece article. The first part is more about Haynesworth as a person, the second part is more about his current situation and his time as an NFL player.

Part One (http://www.backsportspage.com/beyond-the-athlete/2010/3/31/beyond-the-athlete-albert-haynesworth-part-i.html)

Part Two (http://www.backsportspage.com/beyond-the-athlete/2010/4/9/beyond-the-athlete-albert-haynesworth-part-ii.html)

For what it's worth, I know when he decided to miss the workouts he did at least come to Washington, attend the first day and meet the coaches and explain why he was doing what he was doing. Shanahan expressed disappointment but said he was fine with it. How true that is I'm not sure but I think the fact he was offered in a deal for McNabb is more to do with the new set up having loyalty to no current players and everyone having a price. With regards to the 3-4 I think he suits being an end better but if he can play any spot on the line and find mismatches I think he can be extremely good in the scheme.

I hope he stays, the Redskins made a massive investment even if it was a different set up that made it, he's a player capable of dominating and being a difference maker and his departure creates a need on DL and the lose of maybe the D's top play maker.

my_friend_goo
12.04.2010, 06:28 PM
Good article. There's always two sides to every story and plenty unknowns. I really hope this whole situation is being blown out of proportion by the media and that he's letting it go over him. Granted, Shanahan may not be pleased, but Haslett is his D-Coordinator and decides how to use him. I especially like this part:

“At first I was a little iffy to it because I’ve never played in the 3-4. I don’t have a clue to how it’s really played. But then I talked to him a little bit and he plans on just playing me in the middle a little bit and at end. I guess I’ll just move around and just wreak havoc; so as long as we’re doing that and I’m not just at one position, I’m fine, I’m fine with it.”

Sure, he may play some NT in the 3-4 front, probably more so if Kemoeatu can't make a decent contribution. But if that latter case is true, I suspect we'll be seeing fewer 3-4 looks if they can't find a viable option at NT. I think it's fair, in spite of all the criticisms, to give Haynesworth a shot in this system. If used properly, he should be able to thrive. But if it doesn't work out this year, then offload him somehow. With any luck, this hole thing will blow over and be forgotten about midway through the season when he's putting up numbers.

wuds100
13.04.2010, 01:47 PM
If he is played outside Kemeatu it could provide a run D like the
Vikings had with the two big DTs Pat and Kevin Williams,
In our division where its mostly run first offences it would give
us a huge edge.

JD for breakfast
13.04.2010, 03:09 PM
According to redskins.com we've signed another NT in Anthony Bryant form the Giants. Not sure how he can be classed as a nose tackle when his previous team run a 4-3 but his listed size (6'3" and 335lbs) suggests he fits the bill. It's another body into the D-line rotation at least

Gman84
19.04.2010, 08:30 PM
Added another now, Howard Green. I would guess these guys are just camp fodder though.

Boltonian
13.05.2010, 09:38 PM
After reading quite a few posts on here and on the redskins official website
about Haynesworth, will he stay or will he go?, 1 question keeps coming up
and that is will Big Al turn up to camp in shape after he has been training on
his own with his personal trainer.

But my question is(and i would love to put this on extremeskins but it will not
accept my e-mail to join) is has Big Al disappeared off the face of the earth or
has anybody seen him around who could at least let us know if he looks in
shape or not, surely somebody has seen him.

Harwich Hog
17.05.2010, 02:22 PM
After reading quite a few posts on here and on the redskins official website
about Haynesworth, will he stay or will he go?, 1 question keeps coming up
and that is will Big Al turn up to camp in shape after he has been training on
his own with his personal trainer.

accept my e-mail to join) is has Big Al disappeared off the face of the earth or

As far as I am aware he has done this every off-season and he's always turned up in reasonable shape.

The frustration lies in: if he is so dominant while in reasonable shape, imagine how dominant he'd be if he trained ALL off-season :eek: :(

JD for breakfast
19.05.2010, 04:38 PM

To be fair to him he hasn't missed anything mandatory, just some voluntary mini-camps and OTA's. If he misses the first mandatory camp then it would be time to wonder what's actually going on with him. At the minute this is just pretty much standard for Albert Haynesworth

Riggo
09.06.2010, 08:31 PM
I heard Chris Cooley on the radio today and of course they were quizzing him about Haynesworth. Of course he dithered, but it there strongish leanings towards the "get your fat ass in here albert" direction but probably nothing worth making the newspapers tomorrow.

JD for breakfast
16.06.2010, 05:52 PM
http://www.redskins.com/gen/articles/Haynesworth_a_No_Show_For_Mandatory_Mini_Camp_1247 79.jsp

Looks like Albert is done in DC now. He's spat his dummy out again by not turning up to a mandatory mini-camp and requesting a trade. He can't possibly be kept on the roster after a stunt like this

my_friend_goo
16.06.2010, 08:07 PM
http://voices.washingtonpost.com/redskinsinsider/albert-haynesworth/fletcher-haynesworths-minicamp.html

When London Fletcher tells you you're a jerk, you're a jerk. From a sporting perspective, there couldn't be two more polar opposite guys.

my_friend_goo
16.06.2010, 08:11 PM
Maybe Dan ought to buy Albert a copy of this:

http://nuksusabookclub.files.wordpress.com/2010/03/who-moved-my-cheese.jpg

JD for breakfast
16.06.2010, 08:18 PM
Maybe Dan shouldn't have given him all that bonus money on April 1st before Fat Albert had been anywhere near a gym

Boltonian
16.06.2010, 08:29 PM
Why don't the Skins trade haynesworth for 1 of the 2 OT Mcneil(chargers)
Gaither(ravens) or for G Mankins(patriots), and just for this season go with
the other 7 or 8 DL that we have got at Redskins Park.

my_friend_goo
16.06.2010, 08:34 PM
Patriots and Chargers operate a 3-4. Ravens probably wouldn't touch him.

JD for breakfast
17.06.2010, 02:08 PM
Don't the Ravens run a 3-4 too? Could have sworn they did last year.

According to NFL.com the likely destinations should we get rid are Detroit or Tenessee. The Vikings could get involved if the Williams Wall ends up getting a suspension. Doubt we'd get much trade value for him considering his fat contract and track record of being a royal pain in the neck

Redskinsno.1
17.06.2010, 07:01 PM
Why don't the Skins trade haynesworth for 1 of the 2 OT Mcneil(chargers)
Gaither(ravens) or for G Mankins(patriots), and just for this season go with
the other 7 or 8 DL that we have got at Redskins Park.

Firstly none of those teams would take his contract IMO

Secondly the Pats and Chargers both run 3-4 defenses so he wouldnt go there.

It is a big misconception that the Ravens play a 3-4 when in fact they have played more 4-3 than 3-4 for years. The Ravens have a very good D-Line and have Ngata and Gregg in the middle as a result why would they want Haynesworth

pj
17.06.2010, 08:04 PM
The contract isn't an issue. After all the guaranteed money Snyder has already paid out the deal works out to something like 16mil over the next 4 years.

He has little trade value at the moment so if he doesn't want to play they should just bench him for the season.

wuds100
17.06.2010, 08:42 PM
I would put a second rounder on his head and get him to prove
he is worth it or enjoy a long holiday.