PDA

View Full Version : Could the Redskins be persuaded to stay 4-3 on D?

Harwich Hog
08.04.2010, 03:11 PM
Could the Redskins be persuaded to stay 4-3 on D?

I considered naming the title of this thread the “3-4 bluff” but without any obvious benefit for bluffing the switch I decided to change it. What if Sam Bradford is picked by St. Louis and Russell Okung is taken by the Detroit Lions? One of Ndamukong Suh or Gerald McCoy will still be available at #4. Would the prospect of one of the two teaming up with Albert Haynesworth inside be too much to pass up? The Redskins would have a legitimately dominant front four and if the new DT matured (like pundits believe they will), a strong basis for years to come alone the DL.

Disadvantages

• It would mean retaining Albert Haynesworth – something I believe Mike Shanahan would prefer to avoid. His non-commital to voluntary off-season workouts appear to have angered him and there have been strong rumours of a trade.

Advantages

• Some say that Brian Orakpo would thrive as 3-4 OLB. I disagree. He will be strong there in the same way he did a solid job as 4-3 OLB but his natural position is at 4-3 DE.
• It means the 3rd round pick forfeited for Jeremy Jarmon is not wasted. Hopefully Jarmon can recover from a serious injury at the tail-end of the 2009 season and can come back fully-fit. If he does he is the natural long-term replacement for Andre Carter (or Orakpo where he moves over to the right-side).
• Rocky McIntosh and London Fletcher do not need to play in unfamiliar positions. It has been said that Fletcher will be too small to play ILB in a 3-4. They’re wrong – he’ll be just fine but he’d still be better off at MLB.

Feel free to add your own advantages or disadvantages.

story84
08.04.2010, 09:41 PM
I think the transition could take the whole season (if not longer) to implement, it certainly didn't work out for the Jags last season!

Depending on who you listen to the whole Fat Albert trade could just be media hype. I can't see any team picking up his contract, or the Skins getting decent value in a trade, even though the bulk of the guaranteed money has been paid up.

This makes me believe that the Skins will remain a 4-3 team next season but we will see an increasing amount of 3-4 formations used as the season develops. I do hope Shanahan is smart enough not to try and change too much too quickly!

JD for breakfast
08.04.2010, 10:02 PM
I think we'll see a lot of both formations, whether Fat Albert stays or not. New Orleans in the Super Bowl gave a master class in how a mixture of systems can work, keeping the NFL's most intelligent QB guessing (and guessing wrong plenty of times)

Riggo
15.04.2010, 12:21 AM
Trade Haynesworth for a 6 pack of beer, it doesn't even have to be cold.

Gman84
19.04.2010, 08:29 PM
Some of the modern 3-4 fronts are still 4-3 in effect. Rex Ryan at the Ravens and Jets is the best example. Players like Suggs and Pace are used as pure rush ends so I could see that with Orakpo.

I'm just excited to see it, I can handle some growing pains if it's more attacking and exciting to watch with some big plays. I remember the start of Gibbs Mk II and the best thing was Gregg Williams aggressive D, more of that please.

Harwich Hog
21.04.2010, 11:12 AM
Some of the modern 3-4 fronts are still 4-3 in effect. Rex Ryan at the Ravens and Jets is the best example. Players like Suggs and Pace are used as pure rush ends so I could see that with Orakpo.

I'm just excited to see it, I can handle some growing pains if it's more attacking and exciting to watch with some big plays. I remember the start of Gibbs Mk II and the best thing was Gregg Williams aggressive D, more of that please.

For a truly aggressive D, you need solid and especially opportunistic safeties. Solid, because they will often be left out on a limb on some plays, and opportunistic because stray balls are more frequent.

Darren Sharper took advantage of the opportunities given to him in Gregg's scheme last season.

JD for breakfast
29.04.2010, 02:19 PM
Adalius Thomas anyone? Imagine him opposite Orakpo in a 3-4