PDA

View Full Version : Allen Shanahan pre draft assessment

Riggo
15.04.2010, 12:33 AM
I don't like the McNabb signing.

However, if nothing else these two are sending out a message: There will be competition at every position (especially RB) and they aren't scared of getting rid of anyone, including drama queen is residence: AH.

citizenstu
15.04.2010, 07:38 AM
However, if nothing else these two are sending out a message: There will be competition at every position.

Except for Left Tackle :D

I actually think they've positioned us fairly well pre-draft, so long as we spend that 4 on the best LT. I don't mind the McNabb signing but we're struggling to ship Campbell. A pre-draft (or in-draft?) trade of JC/AH to add another pick (or 2) would be good.

JD for breakfast
15.04.2010, 08:32 PM
I can see us trading down for picks, especially if the Lions take Okung. There would be quite a few teams who would jump at our #4 pick and our pick cupboard is pretty bare as it stands. There is plenty of OT talent that would fall down the board in the first round who may be a better fit to Shanahan's zone-blocking system than Okung

Riggo
15.04.2010, 11:39 PM
I can see us trading down for picks, especially if the Lions take Okung. There would be quite a few teams who would jump at our #4 pick and our pick cupboard is pretty bare as it stands. There is plenty of OT talent that would fall down the board in the first round who may be a better fit to Shanahan's zone-blocking system than Okung

Trading down always sounds like a great idea, but these last few years it is hard to find people wanting to trade up. The top draftee are getting such huge signing bonuses and salaries and are un proven and the picks are becoming less attractive, at least the very top ones are.

But this is probably the last year for that, and everyone is expecting an adjustment to the rookie wage pool.

Harwich Hog
16.04.2010, 06:55 AM
I appreciate the difficulties of trading down but the very best case scenario would be trading down from #4, grabbing decent compensation and still grabbing Trent Williams.

I feel the greatest likelihood of this would be if Okung goes #2 and the McCoy/Suh are still on the board at #4.

citizenstu
16.04.2010, 03:25 PM
I feel the greatest likelihood of this would be if Okung goes #2 and the McCoy/Suh are still on the board at #4.

Are you down on Clausen? I'll admit I'm not the biggest College follower and do my best to immerse myself in pre-draft buzz and info starting usually over the Christmas holiday period to catch up. I still fancy someone could be interested in Clausen at 4 and may want to come up a bit.

It'd be nice to think we could trade back a bit and still get a decent LT prospect but it's a risk.

If Okung's there at 4 I think we take him but if the Lions grab him I think we listen to offers, escpecially if it's from the Browns at 7, though I admit I'm not sure where the Chiefs are going with their pick.

santana89
16.04.2010, 11:04 PM
Are you down on Clausen? I'll admit I'm not the biggest College follower and do my best to immerse myself in pre-draft buzz and info starting usually over the Christmas holiday period to catch up. I still fancy someone could be interested in Clausen at 4 and may want to come up a bit.

It'd be nice to think we could trade back a bit and still get a decent LT prospect but it's a risk.

If Okung's there at 4 I think we take him but if the Lions grab him I think we listen to offers, escpecially if it's from the Browns at 7, though I admit I'm not sure where the Chiefs are going with their pick.

If you want Clausen you don't need to trade up to #4, nowhere near. I'd be surprised if he goes before Buffalo at #9.

citizenstu
17.04.2010, 06:02 PM
If you want Clausen you don't need to trade up to #4, nowhere near. I'd be surprised if he goes before Buffalo at #9.

Unless we can generate interest in him. Might just be the Browns actually want him and so do the Bills, so they have to try and come up for him, keep the other at bay.