PDA

View Full Version : Trade For Carriker, any thoughts??

liverbirdpie
20.04.2010, 09:04 PM
Today we traded in Adam Carriker from St Louis for a positional swap of 5th round picks (we move down) and reportedly a swap of 7th round picks (we move up). These details are still a little sketchy but if correct it seems like a great reach by Shanahan and Allen. Carriker is a former first round pick for the Rams back in 2007 (selected when Jim Haslett was at St Louis so he is more than familiar with a player who picked up rookie of the year for his franchise)

Carriker can play anywhere on the line, and would look comfortable in a 3-4 scheme at nose.

On injured reserve last season after tearing a shoulder muscle, but really cant see where we loose out on this trade. Ok we drop about 28 spots in the 5th round, but you have a player who could be as valuable as anyone we ight have picked up third round.

Also could this now mean Suh at number 1 come Thursday??

santana89
20.04.2010, 09:42 PM
Looks brilliant for what we gave up.

Do the Rams know something we don't about his injury?

Harwich Hog
20.04.2010, 09:58 PM
Looks brilliant for what we gave up.

Do the Rams know something we don't about his injury?

Probably. But it's worth the risk. We gave up the equivalent in draft trade value points of a 7th rounder without actually losing a pick. Great business to me.

my_friend_goo
21.04.2010, 08:25 AM
Even if in 5 years' time, if our 5th rounder and Carriker are both out of the league and the Rams' 5th rounder is a perennial all-pro, I'll still agree this was a good trade at the time.

the compensation is negligible. Makes a change to see us not get totally shafted in a trade.

citizenstu
21.04.2010, 12:09 PM
Agree agree agree, we've hardly given up anything and need competition at NT if Fat Albert is set on playing End (or elsewhere).

Even if his injury has made him useless, in Round 5 you're pretty much keeping your fingers crossed you unearth a gem (Ok maybe there's more science behind it than that but you get my point) so dropping down shouldn't matter much.

Does this mean any minor (or otherwise) thoughts we might've had of taking a DT at 4 if the Lions grab Okung are now firmly out of the window?

If the Rams pass on Bradford for Suh, does this leave Shanahan and Allen drooling over him at 4?

In response to liverbirdpie, if I'm the Rams, I'm still taking the best QB on my board at 1 if no-one's taking the pick off me but I think the odds were just cut on them taking Suh.

JD for breakfast
21.04.2010, 04:59 PM
Seems like a pretty good deal on paper. We get a former first round pick without giving up any picks of our own?

The_Hangman
24.04.2010, 01:53 PM
Carricker is not a NT, and will instead play DE in the 3-4 scheme, which is the position he had success in at college.

JD for breakfast
25.04.2010, 05:31 PM
Carricker is not a NT, and will instead play DE in the 3-4 scheme, which is the position he had success in at college.

That's what I thought when I saw his measurements. He's listed at 297lbs, which is at least a good 40-50lbs down on your average NT in the NFL