PDA

View Full Version : Rate our draft?

Gman84
24.04.2010, 09:02 PM
Did you like it? Love it? Hate it? Undecided?

1st - OT Trent Williams.
2nd - Part of the McNabb trade.
3rd - DE Jeremy Jarmon in the supplemental draft last year.
4th - LB Perry Riley
6th - TE Dennis Morris
7th - WR Terrence Austin
7th - OC Eric Cook
7th - OT Selvish Capers

Add in they traded away Jason Campbell for a future 4th round pick.

Overall I like it, we have upgraded the OL and got McNabb. I'd have liked to have seen a DB and maybe a DL man but Capers could be a nice find late on, Austin could make an impact as a returner and Morris could be an option at FB. Overall I like what the new set-up has done.

my_friend_goo
24.04.2010, 09:21 PM
When you show what happened to our 2nd and 3rd round picks, it looks more promising. Trent Williams was an important need and Selvish Capers sounds reasonable. Can't argue with needing a LB, but the drafting report on the centre is awful! Maybe I've been a bit harsh to say "twas ok", but until we see the guys take the field, it never is easy to tell.

Would like to know who's going to play FS in the upcoming season.

The_Hangman
24.04.2010, 09:44 PM
It was ok.

Disappointed we couldn't get a pick in the second or third rounds in order to draft a potential starter.

Gman84
24.04.2010, 09:53 PM
When you show what happened to our 2nd and 3rd round picks, it looks more promising. Trent Williams was an important need and Selvish Capers sounds reasonable. Can't argue with needing a LB, but the drafting report on the centre is awful! Maybe I've been a bit harsh to say "twas ok", but until we see the guys take the field, it never is easy to tell.

Would like to know who's going to play FS in the upcoming season.

I think Cook is going to project at OG and that's ok with me as we have Rabach and Lictenwhateverhisnameisexbroncoshannydrafted.

FS will be Kareem Moore IMO.

The_Hangman
24.04.2010, 10:00 PM
sex bronco shanny drafted? :confused::eek::D

wuds100
24.04.2010, 10:17 PM
In the end the draft will likely be judged on whether McNabb is a success
and whether Williams turns out better than Okung,
The late splurge on the O-Line hopefully might bear some fruit
but the move for Perry Riley when Bruce Campbell was there in the 4th
looks puzzling as there was next too no risk in the move unless we are
deemed way short on special teams.

Jack Presley
25.04.2010, 11:07 AM
I agree, the Williams/Okung choice and whoever turns out to be the best will be the deciding factor in rating this draft.

The_Hangman
25.04.2010, 12:48 PM

1st - OT Trent Williams.
3rd - DE Jeremy Jarmon in the supplemental draft last year.
4th - LB Perry Riley
6th - TE Dennis Morris
7th - WR Terrence Austin
7th - OC Eric Cook
7th - OT Selvish Capers

Add in they traded away Jason Campbell for a future 4th round pick.

Overall I like it, we have upgraded the OL and got McNabb. I'd have liked to have seen a DB and maybe a DL man

If you're including McNabb, you could argue Carricker should be included too (swapping picks with the Rams).

Gman84
25.04.2010, 01:01 PM
If you're including McNabb, you could argue Carricker should be included too (swapping picks with the Rams).

Yep, I've done that in my blog (http://forum.nfluk.com/blog.php?b=1748) draft review:)

JD for breakfast
25.04.2010, 05:38 PM
In the end the draft will likely be judged on whether McNabb is a success
and whether Williams turns out better than Okung

I don't think it's as simple as one being better than the other, it's who fits the scheme better. Shanny's zone-blocking system requires mobile linemen with quick footwork. The FO have taken the player that they think fits the scheme the best, rather than the player everybody has decided is the best in that position in the draft. Which is what they should do

The Dennis Morris pick is a bit of a headscratcher for me. My guess is he's there to compete with Todd Yoder as the blocking TE as Yoder is getting on a bit now, although his play hasn't noticeably dropped. That or an eventual replacement for Mike Sellars at FB

Gman84
27.04.2010, 02:41 PM
I don't think it's as simple as one being better than the other, it's who fits the scheme better. Shanny's zone-blocking system requires mobile linemen with quick footwork. The FO have taken the player that they think fits the scheme the best, rather than the player everybody has decided is the best in that position in the draft. Which is what they should do

The Dennis Morris pick is a bit of a headscratcher for me. My guess is he's there to compete with Todd Yoder as the blocking TE as Yoder is getting on a bit now, although his play hasn't noticeably dropped. That or an eventual replacement for Mike Sellars at FB

Yoder is gone (well, not re-signed). They added blocking TE Sean Ryan (http://www.nfl.com/players/seanryan/profile?id=RYA746873) who will very likely be the 3rd TE. I think Morris competes with Sellers for the FB spot but he might need a years seasoning away on the practice squad. If he can do a good job on special teams (he looks like he enjoys the physical contact aspect of the game so that helps) he might be able to stick on the active roster.

JD for breakfast
27.04.2010, 05:06 PM
Yoder is gone (well, not re-signed).

Oops. Must have missed that memo. Morris is built more like a FB anyway so hopefully he will give Sellars a kick up the backside because I think last year his fat contract and Pro Bowl berth from '08 kinda went to his head a little

citizenstu
30.04.2010, 12:21 PM
Yoder is gone (well, not re-signed).

No longer with us, is the force :(

citizenstu
30.04.2010, 12:27 PM

1st - OT Trent Williams.

Here's a thought I had as the draft progressed - you've probably had it too. Sorry if covered elsewhere, I've been busy.

With the amazing power of hindsight, the above could've read

1st - OT Trent Williams
2nd - QB Jimmy Clausen

So would that be better than McNabb? Think there's anyone in the organisation, who expected both Williams and Clausen to be gone early in the 1st round, now kicking themselves over the McNabb trade? Are you wishing we'd kept Campbell and the pick and allowed Clausen to develop for a season?

DC Jack
30.04.2010, 08:22 PM
Yoder was cut - no idea where the draft went outside Williams but is he really the tackle you wanted - No impact players and no positional needs TE we have enough of them - Where is the FS and a young back -most backs don`t last long in Shanny`s system even Terrell Davis - How long before the 3 pensioners are on IR but now we`ve got pensioners at WR George`s boy I guess - Over the Hill and falling down the other side. If Mcnabb goes down like he has in the past -how long before Shaany and Georges boy wear out their welcome - 3/4 could be a real disaster as well - how many rejects are we getting??

Gman84
02.05.2010, 02:02 PM
Yoder was cut - no idea where the draft went outside Williams but is he really the tackle you wanted - No impact players and no positional needs TE we have enough of them - Where is the FS and a young back -most backs don`t last long in Shanny`s system even Terrell Davis - How long before the 3 pensioners are on IR but now we`ve got pensioners at WR George`s boy I guess - Over the Hill and falling down the other side. If Mcnabb goes down like he has in the past -how long before Shaany and Georges boy wear out their welcome - 3/4 could be a real disaster as well - how many rejects are we getting??

Every move has risks but to go through your points one by one.

Pretty sure Yoder was just not re-signed.

The free safety is I suspect Kareem Moore who the coaching staff like and is already on the roster. Increased pressure will help the secondary.

Young back - how about Ryan Torrain who was with Shanny in Denver? A former 4th rd pick, only 24, knows the style/system to a degree, 2 year contract.

The 3 pensioners? Ok, none are young but they are all 30 or under and all proven in the NFL. No one has to carry the full load and all three have a chip on their shoulder, something to prove.

If McNabb goes down like he has in the past? You mean like when he has tried to play through injuries? Brusied/bust rubs, sports hernia as examples. Injuries are a risk for all players. If you can tell us who we'd have got that was better in the 2nd round or for a similar price......

3-4 is the vogue defense of the league, I suspect in another 2 years about 90% of teams will be running it because of the growth of the passing game in the NFL it allows teams to blitz more effectively and with disguise. I think people appreciate it could take time to turn it around but this a 4-12 team with a lot of deadwood and problems to deal with. I think the new set-up have done pretty well so far.