PDA

View Full Version : Redskins 4th Round Pick

RickySanders
28.04.2010, 02:46 PM
I am going to throw this one out there to see what the Skins Nation think on our 4th Round Pick.

From what I have read Perry Riley will be competing for an ILB roster spot, and possibly has the potential to start along side London Fletcher.

OT Bruce Campbell was still on the board at that point and some mock drafts that I had seen predicted Campbell to go in the first round (I saw 2 Mock's that had him going at #8 to Oakland). Would Campbell have been the more logical pick as a potential starting RT ?

I don't know much about the kid, but surely he would have been serious competition for Heyer to start at RT with Heyer's form taken into account.

Would love your opinions.

JD for breakfast
28.04.2010, 04:53 PM
Like you I don't know a lot about Bruce Campbell but there must be a pretty good reason a projected first rounder (projected as a top 10 in some mocks) dropped all the way to the fourth, especially as he was so impressive at the Combine. Lots of teams picked other tackles ahead of him so we'll just see how he goes in Oaktown.

I'm pretty happy with the Riley pick. Our LB corps is quite thin and needed bolstering, especially if we're going to use a lot of 3-4 looks, so extra bodies will be needed in there alongside Fletcher and McIntosh

citizenstu
30.04.2010, 12:14 PM
I know nothing about Perry Riley, so can't comment but I can comment on Mock Drafts - many mockers (?) attempt to predict what teams will do, not who's worth a pick where.

Al Davis is a moron (so many would have you believe - just a rich one with [aging] superbowl rings). He's certainly stuck in the past when it comes to football tactics and puts too much emphasis on numbers. So people thought he'd take Bruce Campbell because he put up monster numbers, in the same way Davis was the only person who'd take Heyward-Bey ahead of Crabtree last year.

Just because Al'd take B Campbell in 1, it never meant he was worth a pick that high, and therefore he didn't really fall. And in the end even Oakland knew not to take B Campbell. It was really just the mockers.

Oh, and as you've probably read, we've got Artis Hicks pencilled in at RT and the coaches seem pretty pleased with him from what they've seen. They also think Mike Williams played best at RG last year. Given that and the switch to 3-4 I think it was right to try to address our lack of LBs ahead of RT. Remains to be seen if we picked the right one.

Boltonian
30.04.2010, 10:05 PM
I went through the Skins roster the other day and came up with these results
compared to last seasons team, to see if we were still short in any particular
area.

GM-Upgrade
HC-Upgrade
QB-Upgrade
RB-Slight Upgrade
WR-Same
OL-Slight Upgrade
TE-Same
FB-Same

DL-Upgrade
LB-Downgrade
CB-Same
S -Same

I think that the Skins are really in need of help at LB, could also go out and get a
quality RT or LT(Gaither of the ravens comes to mind) you could plug him in at LT
put rookie Williams in at RT and then swap them over after a year or 2, i would
also go for Sharper for a year or 2 at Safety.

What do you guys think?.

wuds100
01.05.2010, 11:22 PM
I went through the Skins roster the other day and came up with these results
compared to last seasons team, to see if we were still short in any particular
area.

GM-Upgrade
HC-Upgrade
QB-Upgrade
RB-Slight Upgrade
WR-Same
OL-Slight Upgrade
TE-Same
FB-Same

DL-Upgrade
LB-Downgrade
CB-Same
S -Same

I think that the Skins are really in need of help at LB, could also go out and get a
quality RT or LT(Gaither of the ravens comes to mind) you could plug him in at LT
put rookie Williams in at RT and then swap them over after a year or 2, i would
also go for Sharper for a year or 2 at Safety.

What do you guys think?.

I agree with your assesments but still think we are wafer thin depth wise
in a lot of areas, Next year maybe a write off if we are not lucky on that score
though our next draft class could be the one to take us to the next level,
I would definitly agree with a move for Gaither the only problem being is that
we are shedding further picks to do so and again could end up with a empty board.

Gman84
02.05.2010, 01:54 PM
Like you I don't know a lot about Bruce Campbell but there must be a pretty good reason a projected first rounder (projected as a top 10 in some mocks) dropped all the way to the fourth, especially as he was so impressive at the Combine. Lots of teams picked other tackles ahead of him so we'll just see how he goes in Oaktown.

I'm pretty happy with the Riley pick. Our LB corps is quite thin and needed bolstering, especially if we're going to use a lot of 3-4 looks, so extra bodies will be needed in there alongside Fletcher and McIntosh

As I said elsewhere I believe the rumour with Campbell is he has severe learning difficulties. He'll be ok in Oakland where he only has to learn one play - deep pass.

We needed another ILB body and Riley looks a reasonable pick. I wouldn't have been upset had they taken a shot at Campbell but given they had used the top pick on Trent Williams and added their own project tackle later on who himself was graded higher than he went (Capers) I'm fine with their decision.

Harwich Hog
12.05.2010, 11:06 AM
I've read that Perry Riley was chosen after recommendation from our new linebacker coach who we recruited from the Pittsburgh Steelers. I trust him.

JD for breakfast
12.05.2010, 05:48 PM
I've read that Perry Riley was chosen after recommendation from our new linebacker coach who we recruited from the Pittsburgh Steelers. I trust him.

If he's good enough for Lou Spanos he's good enough for me!

Riggo
15.05.2010, 01:59 AM
I reserve all opinions for after pre-season games. I used to get worked up around this time of year, but nothing ever comes of it.