PDA

View Full Version : Saints thread

Pages : 1 2 [3] 4 5 6 7 8 9

Sammy C
31.08.2008, 03:27 AM
Roster cuts have completely passed me by what with the more pressing issues facing the city at present :-\

From a brief look, seems we have gone for quantity rather than quality at CB. And Harris is very unlucky. Aside from that, still loving our offense - and indeed virtually every other position on the roster. Could see the Arrington IR move coming for a while as well - decent for all parties I think.

If Gustav drifts Westward as some are forecasting, I may be able to regain the enthusiasm and excitement I had for the season just two weeks ago. At present, I'll just be happy if we are even in the Dome come next Sunday...

zorro37
31.08.2008, 08:39 AM
It's drifted slightly towards NO. This could be really bad. :-[

Here one of the latest simple models out.
http://sirocco.accuweather.com/iwxpage/adc/popup/iws1b_430.jpg

New Orleans is just outside the serious area.

But all the maps are conflicting, we just don't know until it hits.
http://www.crownweather.com/al07windzoom.gif
says New Orleans will experience a CAT1 storm, compared to CAT5 in the middle.

saints 23
31.08.2008, 08:57 AM

em no, New Orleans is smack bang in the extreme area.

zorro37
31.08.2008, 09:01 AM

Sorry I meant serious as in most serious area. Didn't realise it was on the map as the least serious area ???

saints 23
31.08.2008, 09:03 AM

Sorry I meant serious as in most serious area. Didn't realise it was on the map as the least serious area ???

lol made the same mistake myself when i first looked ;D

DarrenSQh
31.08.2008, 09:27 AM

That model looks bad. There have only ever been 3 category 5 huricanes to hit america and if Katrina was only a 3, this could devastate NO. Really hoping it misses or at least calms down a bit.

Sammy C
31.08.2008, 01:25 PM
I don't think it will make landfall as a 5. Forecasts have it weakening just before landfall from what I can tell... If it makes landfall as a 5 I truly dread to think what will happen to the city :-X

Even if it hits as a 4, this thing is stronger than Katrina and the predicted storm surges are disastrous for New Orleans.

It looks like this thing is definitely hitting New Orleans now though... Not good.

zorro37
31.08.2008, 03:20 PM
In terms of NO, it's about the storm surges. Katrina caused huge storm surges to enter the low lying western and northern banks of New Orleans. If the hurricane breaks down the levees, and then storm surges hit, then the whole metro area is at huge risk, and the Superdome could take another hit.

MarkC07
31.08.2008, 05:20 PM
You have to wonder if the damage is as bad as Katrina, what are they gonna do with the city? They can't just keep re-building just to see it destroyed again.

SteButt
31.08.2008, 07:07 PM
http://www.nola.com/hurricane/wide.ssf?http://www.nhc.noaa.gov/storm_graphics/AT07/refresh/AL0708W+gif/143912W_sm.gif

Currently looks like the eye will be heading West of New Orleans, but that doesn't mean it's going to escape unscathed. Far from it, I'd imagine.

If it does cause severe damage, I doubt the City can recover.

zorro37
31.08.2008, 07:18 PM
Saints | Location of season opener could change
Sun, 31 Aug 2008 11:25:18 -0700

Charlie Campbell, of PewterReport.com, reports the New Orleans Saints may be forced to move the location of their season opener against the Tampa Bay Buccaneers because of Hurricane Gustav. There has been speculation the game could be played in San Antonio or Baton Rouge, La. There is also speculation the Saints and Buccaneers would swap home games, with the Saints hosting the Buccaneers Nov. 30 instead of Sept. 7.

:(

SteButt
31.08.2008, 07:35 PM

Charlie Campbell, of PewterReport.com, reports the New Orleans Saints may be forced to move the location of their season opener against the Tampa Bay Buccaneers because of Hurricane Gustav. There has been speculation the game could be played in San Antonio or Baton Rouge, La. There is also speculation the Saints and Buccaneers would swap home games, with the Saints hosting the Buccaneers Nov. 30 instead of Sept. 7.

Sensible thing would be to play it at Tampa IMO, then look to reverse that later in the season.

zorro37
31.08.2008, 07:44 PM

Sensible thing would be to play it at Tampa IMO, then look to reverse that later in the season.

Definately, I just hate to even think of it being in San Antonio or Los Angeles. There's always going to be the idiots who suggest they fill in New Orleans with concrete, move the city entirely and keep the team in LA or SA.

SteButt
31.08.2008, 07:46 PM
Definately, I just hate to even think of it being in San Antonio or Los Angeles. There's always going to be the idiots who suggest they fill in New Orleans with concrete, move the city entirely and keep the team in LA or SA.

TBF, If New Orleans is devastated again, it could spell the end for the city, nevermind just the Saints. You can't keep doing this every 3 years.

DarrenSQh
31.08.2008, 07:51 PM
Most sensible idea i think would be to swap home games with the bucs. Im sure it makes sense for everyone, as they get to open the season at home and we dont have to play elsewhere.

MarkC07
31.08.2008, 07:53 PM

TBF, If New Orleans is devastated again, it could spell the end for the city, nevermind just the Saints. You can't keep doing this every 3 years.

Exactly, if New Orleans is devastated again it's the smart idea to relocate IMO. Whats the point of re-building just to see peoples lives destroyed over and over?

SteButt
31.08.2008, 08:01 PM

Exactly, if New Orleans is devastated again it's the smart idea to relocate IMO. Whats the point of re-building just to see peoples lives destroyed over and over?

Well I think the thing last time was it might have been a one off and I was very annoyed that there was serious talk from Tom Benson about moving the franchise - it was a smack in the face for the people of the city, who had supported a losing team, most of the time, to want to move them after the city's biggest natural disaster.

BUT, twice in 3 years? It's harder to make that argument now, because if we see another Katrina then I can't see people coming back to the city to stay - businesses and jobs will move, and it just wouldn't be able to support an NFL franchise.

I just hope the city somehow gets through this.

SaintNick
31.08.2008, 08:36 PM
At the end of the day, if the Saints and Hornets go, there's nothing keeping New Orleans together.
If the team(s) back the city, then it will have a chance, as frustrating as it might be to have to do it all again.

This wait is the worst part, I can't imagine what it's like over there.

Right now, whatever happens during the season isn't important, I just want the team to stay in New Orleans, I can't imagine supporting the franchise in another city or having to choose a new team. :(

zorro37
31.08.2008, 08:43 PM
At the end of the day, if the Saints and Hornets go, there's nothing keeping New Orleans together.
If the team(s) back the city, then it will have a chance, as frustrating as it might be to have to do it all again.

Right now, whatever happens during the season isn't important, I just want the team to stay in New Orleans, I can't imagine supporting the franchise in another city or having to choose a new team. :(

I feel the exact same way. In a few years I am hoping to go over and see the Saints. I want to see them in New Orleans in the dome and I can't bear to think of anything else.
If it means another terrible season to keep the team and city together so be it, there are bigger things than football and that hits home when something like Gustav is looming.

SteButt
31.08.2008, 08:43 PM

Don't know what I'd do either, but when it looked like they were going to leave NO in 2005, I said I wouldn't support them in new city, because they aren't the Los Angeles Saints, they are the New Orleans Saints. This time is different, maybe, because there may be no option, if the worst happens.

But, that doesn't matter right now anyway, what matters is that the storm passes with as little damage as possible. Let's just hope we don't get another Katrina, but TBH, it doesn't look good - in fact, in terms of the devastation to buildings etc, it could easily be worse.

On the plus side, they seem a lot more prepared than last time, so hopefully we won't get close to the human cost of Katrina.

SaintNick
31.08.2008, 08:57 PM
I hope to god I wake up to find it's weakened.

Whether the city can cope with the winds is one thing, but I'd take winds over a catastrophic storm surge.

3 roads games in a row > 16 road games in a row.

DarrenSQh
31.08.2008, 09:01 PM

I feel the exact same way. In a few years I am hoping to go over and see the Saints. I want to see them in New Orleans in the dome and I can't bear to think of anything else.
If it means another terrible season to keep the team and city together so be it, there are bigger things than football and that hits home when something like Gustav is looming.

Was planning on going over next season and not sure i would want to go if its anywhere else than new orleans in the Dome. Dont think we should move as i dont see this being a regular thing. Maybe just a coincidence that there are two bad hurricanes in the same place in three years.

DarrenSQh
31.08.2008, 09:02 PM

Whether the city can cope with the winds is one thing, but I'd take winds over a catastrophic storm surge.

It has weakend since this morning and lets hope it keeps going the same way. On the website the highest point had winds up at 145mph whereas now its about 115mph.

Downhill PV
31.08.2008, 09:02 PM
I read in the New York Times that Mayor Nagin is saying that the levees can hold storm surges of up to 12 feet, but that Gustav can maybe make storm surges of 18-25 feet. Also there are winds of 150mph associated with Gustav and ... there isn't a single building in New Orleans rated for 150mph winds.

They are more prepared this time ... but if it's worse than Katrina in terms of size and power, it won't make much difference.

Downhill PV
31.08.2008, 09:03 PM

It has weakend since this morning and lets hope it keeps going the same way. On the website the highest point had winds up at 145mph whereas now its about 115mph.

true, but so did Katrina ... then it scooped up power from the warm water of the Gulf and ... bang!

saints 23
31.08.2008, 09:05 PM
New Orleans will make it through and the Saints will be back.

Downhill PV
31.08.2008, 09:06 PM
from NOAA :

AT 400 PM CDT...2100Z...THE CENTER OF HURRICANE GUSTAV WAS LOCATED
NEAR LATITUDE 26.4 NORTH...LONGITUDE 87.3 WEST OR ABOUT 215 MILES...
350 KM...SOUTH-SOUTHEAST OF THE MOUTH OF THE MISSISSIPPI RIVER.

GUSTAV IS MOVING TOWARD THE NORTHWEST NEAR 18 MPH...30 KM/HR. THIS
GENERAL MOTION IS EXPECTED TO CONTINUE WITH A DECREASE IN FORWARD
SPEED DURING THE NEXT COUPLE OF DAYS. ON THE FORECAST TRACK...
GUSTAV SHOULD MAKE LANDFALL ON THE NORTHERN GULF COAST ON MONDAY.

MAXIMUM SUSTAINED WINDS ARE NEAR 115 MPH...185 KM/HR...WITH HIGHER
GUSTS. GUSTAV IS A CATEGORY THREE HURRICANE ON THE SAFFIR-SIMPSON
SCALE. SOME RE-INTENSIFICATION IS POSSIBLE TONIGHT. FLUCTUATIONS
IN STRENGTH ARE LIKELY THEREAFTER...BUT GUSTAV IS FORECAST TO
REMAIN A MAJOR HURRICANE UNTIL LANDFALL.

HURRICANE FORCE WINDS EXTEND OUTWARD UP TO 65 MILES...100 KM...FROM
THE CENTER...AND TROPICAL STORM FORCE WINDS EXTEND OUTWARD UP TO 220
MILES...350 KM. TROPICAL STORM CONDITIONS SHOULD BEGIN TO SPREAD
ONTO THE NORTHERN GULF COAST TONIGHT...WITH HURRICANE CONDITIONS
STARTING TO SPREAD ONSHORE EARLY MONDAY MORNING.

THE LATEST MINIMUM CENTRAL PRESSURE REPORTED BY AN AIR FORCE RESERVE
HURRICANE HUNTER AIRCRAFT IS 957 MB...28.26 INCHES.

AN EXTREMELY DANGEROUS STORM SURGE OF 10 TO 14 FEET ABOVE NORMAL
TIDAL LEVELS IS EXPECTED NEAR AND TO THE EAST OF WHERE THE CENTER
OF GUSTAV CROSSES THE NORTHERN GULF COAST.

SteButt
31.08.2008, 09:09 PM
http://edition.cnn.com/2008/US/weather/08/30/gustav.prepare/index.html#cnnSTCOther1

Could be 135 mph winds when it hits. It's just bad news, the question is "How bad?"

SaintNick
31.08.2008, 09:10 PM
Now back to more positive news, Jason David has been cut.

zorro37
Hopefully this lifts the mood a bit, per nfl.com transactions

Team Date Transaction
Team logo New Orleans Saints 8/31 Jason David (CB) cut.

SteButt

true, but so did Katrina ... then it scooped up power from the warm water of the Gulf and ... bang!

I'm no John Kettley, but I think this is key, it's all that warm water, it seems to make the hurricane worse, and this is the big worry.

zorro37
31.08.2008, 09:15 PM
I've school tommorrow, and I really pray I don't wake up to find that the worst is going to happen.

At this moment in time, Gustav is about the same strength as Katrina was hitting land. It only stands to get stronger with the warm water. :-\
The best we can do is hope the levees hold. The good news is that the storm surges are projected not to be close to Katrina levels and thats what did NO in last time.

The walls of the eye are getting much weaker though, especially the northern. This is good news.

Downhill PV
31.08.2008, 09:15 PM
I'm actually supposed to be there on Sept 12th. Hope things will be OK.

MarkC07
31.08.2008, 09:19 PM

Team *** Date ***Transaction
Team logo New Orleans Saints ***8/31 ***Jason David (CB) cut.

That did lighten my mood :D

DarrenSQh
31.08.2008, 09:20 PM
Just said on bbc news that its not going to be as bad as they first thought. Hope thats true.

DarrenSQh
31.08.2008, 09:20 PM

Team Date Transaction
Team logo New Orleans Saints 8/31 Jason David (CB) cut.

Thats at least a bit of good news. Dont know why it has taken so long to get rid of him.

SteButt
31.08.2008, 09:26 PM
Yeah, hopefully they learned some lessons there. The main one seemingly being "Don't pick up defensive backs from Indy if you play a totally different type of defense".

dorotheajn
31.08.2008, 09:29 PM
I truely hope that by tomorrow afternoon the storm has weakened further.

I visited New Orleans in December 2006 almost 18 months after Katrina and the destruction even after all that time were mindblowing. I don't think I'll ever forget those images.

To think that everything that has been rebuild since then, could be destroyed again just like that breaks my heart. I hope that the storm continue to weaken and move westward away from the city and I pray for the safety of all those in harms way

SteButt
31.08.2008, 09:34 PM
I truely hope that by tomorrow afternoon the storm has weakened further.

I visited New Orleans in December 2006 almost 18 months after Katrina and the destruction even after all that time were mindblowing. I don't think I'll ever forget those images.

To think that everything that has been rebuild since then, could be destroyed again just like that breaks my heart. I hope that the storm continue to weaken and move westward away from the city and I pray for the safety of all those in harms way

Amen. :)

However, as stated previously, it may have weakened, but from what I've seen they reckon it will strengthen overnight again and hit the coast about 8am local time, so about 2pm here?

SaintNick
31.08.2008, 09:47 PM
This time yesterday I went to bed and things looked OK for New Orleans. It was heading for SW Louisiana, and NOLA was going to miss the worst of it.
I woke up and it had moved dangerously east and was heading STRAIGHT for New Orleans. Then it strengthened like there was no tomorrow, and now it's supposedly getting weaker.
Who knows what tomorrow will bring.

One thing I know it that this thing is hauling ass, the ETA is going down at every update.

SteButt
31.08.2008, 09:53 PM
This time yesterday I went to bed and things looked OK for New Orleans. It was heading for SW Louisiana, and NOLA was going to miss the worst of it.
I woke up and it had moved dangerously east and was heading STRAIGHT for New Orleans. Then it strengthened like there was no tomorrow, and now it's supposedly getting weaker.
Who knows what tomorrow will bring.

One thing I know it that this thing is hauling ass, the ETA is going down at every update.

Well, it's currently moving at 18mph from what I can see, and appears to be about 300 miles from the coast - though that update is about an hour old. That gives it about 16 or 17 hours, so that makes it about 2-3pm our time tomorrow that it hits.

Edit - probably a bit less than 300 miles, so I'd say sometime 1pm onwards that the center hit. But they were saying the winds might be felt up to 220 miles away from the centre, so if that is correct, then I'd expect them to be feeling the starting of the effects in the next few hours as Gustav closes in on the coast.

cassthelass
31.08.2008, 10:05 PM
http://news.bbc.co.uk/nol/shared/spl/hi/pop_ups/08/americas_enl_1220198437/img/1.jpg

The ETA seems to be earlier every time I check. I am really hoping it slows down and weakens. I also hope the tides are in their favour as I think Katrina hit at high tide which made things even worse.

zorro37
31.08.2008, 10:08 PM
The Weather channel now says the eye has a hole in it. This is good news as it shows the storm is starting to break down. This could mean the whole eye collapses in itself and it breaks down.
This is what we need to pray for, I'll see you all in the morning and I hope I wake up to find good news.

cassthelass
31.08.2008, 10:09 PM
Yes let's hope so Zorro, g'nite.

diceman18
31.08.2008, 10:25 PM
Well, the Saints have signed 6 to the practise squad.

http://www.neworleanssaints.com/Articles/2008/8/Six%20Signed%20to%20Saints%20Practice%20Squad.aspx

'The players signed were G Tim Duckworth, LB Jo-Lonn Dunbar, WR Skyler Green, RB Lynell Hamilton, TE Buck Ortega and DE Josh Savage.'

DarrenSQh
31.08.2008, 10:31 PM
The Weather channel now says the eye has a hole in it. This is good news as it shows the storm is starting to break down. This could mean the whole eye collapses in itself and it breaks down.
This is what we need to pray for, I'll see you all in the morning and I hope I wake up to find good news.

Yea we all have to hope that. will be checking as soon as i wake up.

Downhill PV
31.08.2008, 10:47 PM
http://news.bbc.co.uk/nol/shared/spl/hi/pop_ups/08/americas_enl_1220198437/img/1.jpg

The ETA seems to be earlier every time I check. I am really hoping it slows down and weakens. I also hope the tides are in their favour as I think Katrina hit at high tide which made things even worse.

slowing down will only make it gather energy and be stronger when it does hit ...

cassthelass
31.08.2008, 11:04 PM
That was meant as the windspeed slowing down, not the actual movement of the hurricane but point taken!

Sammy C
01.09.2008, 01:42 AM
It's still moving very rapidly, but crucially not intensifying as forecast. The possible category 4 or 5 storm and catastrophic storm surge predictions from yesterday have now been cut down significantly. These are the most important numbers. It's the surge, rather than winds/rain, that will cause the Katrina-esque damage to New Orleans.

Radars show that the Gulf Coast is already starting to feel the outer bands now. I know certainly that in Mobile, AL they are experiencing very heavy bands of rain passing at present.

Just have to hope that this storm does not intensify prior to landfall. The present forecasts look far more hopeful than those from yesterday. Just need to hope for no surprising shifts in the path of the storm - any late move East could completely change the picture...

SteButt
01.09.2008, 05:13 AM
New surge predictions giving West Bank leaders hope
by Meghan Gordon, The Times-Picayune
Sunday August 31, 2008, 11:57 PM

Jefferson Parish officials said they're becoming increasingly confident that West Bank levees will be able hold back Hurricane Gustav's surge, after the latest tidal models show as little as 7 feet of water funneling into the Harvey Canal.

Previous predictions called for more than 10 feet of surge might threaten the vulnerable and incomplete system. Still, a National Weather Service advisory that remains in effect warns that tides could pour over the area's flood defenses.

Tim Whitmer, top aide to Parish President Aaron Broussard, said at about 11:30 p.m. Sunday that SLOSH models indicate a 5- to 10-foot surge hitting coastal Louisiana, including Grand Isle and Jean Lafitte.

"It would work itself up the estuary so that by the time it got up front, it wouldn't be that high," he said, using the parish's nickname for its most populated areas. "We think we can handle 7 feet at Harvey (Canal) without problem."

Baskets loaded with sand protect an unfinished section of levee on the southeast end of the industrial waterway. The defense sits 8 feet above sea level, but levee district authorities weren't certain the temporary wall would hold up against violent wave action.

"The tracks shifted whatever little bit, which helps us," Whitmer said. "What's typically the northeast quadrant was kinda wind-sheered off. So the worst of the storm is actually to the southwest, which should miss us."

Jefferson Parish Councilman Chris Roberts also sounded more confident Sunday night about the potential surge height.

"Based upon the current conditions and the forecast, we should be able to manage the Harvey Canal," he said.

DarrenSQh
01.09.2008, 03:06 PM
Its been downgraed to a 1.2 at the moment. Not long till it hits.

saints 23
01.09.2008, 03:12 PM
it has made landfall west of New Orleans as a hurricane 2, wind speeds about 110 mph. Should'nt be too much damage to New Orleans.

DarrenSQh
01.09.2008, 04:09 PM
it has made landfall west of New Orleans as a hurricane 2, wind speeds about 110 mph. Should'nt be too much damage to New Orleans.

Just have to hope that the defenses hold up and it should be fine.

SteButt
01.09.2008, 06:07 PM
Fingers crossed, it's not too bad thus far......

DarrenSQh
01.09.2008, 07:49 PM
Fingers crossed, it's not too bad thus far......

Down to a level one now. Looking ok so far.

SteButt
01.09.2008, 08:42 PM
Don't want to say it too soon, but it seems that we're past the worst. I sure hope so anyway.

Gustav whipping through Baton Rouge
by James Varney, The Times-Picayune
Monday September 01, 2008, 3:13 PM
BATON ROUGE - Strong gusts from Hurricane Gustav continue to whip through the capital Monday afternoon, but the rain has stopped and much of the storm's sustained fury seems to have abated.

The primary source of damage in most areas is from felled branches and trees. In some respects, it is suprising so many trees withstood the storm, whose eye at 2 p.m. remained somewhat southwest of the city, according to tracking maps.

Power went out around 1 p.m. and the hurricane blew through with the occassional sound of some great, groaning engine, as the tops of three whipped back and forth and the loud crack of snapped limbs and trunks echoed through suburban neighborhoods.

Officials have been asking residents to remain indoors at least until the wind dies down, but powerful gusts still crop up and it is unclear when movement will become easier.

cassthelass
01.09.2008, 08:47 PM
Well, I think that's about the best we could hope for. Down to a Cat 2 by landfall and now Cat 1 plus it's west of the city. Let's just hope everyone along there was adequately prepared as well as New Orleans.

SteButt
01.09.2008, 08:53 PM
The main thing is no flooding. The winds will cause damage, but only so much. It's stopping the flooding that was key, and so far so good.

DarrenSQh
01.09.2008, 09:05 PM
The main thing is no flooding. The winds will cause damage, but only so much. It's stopping the flooding that was key, and so far so good.

Getting hopefull now that we will be in the dome on sunday night as planned. ;D

SteButt
01.09.2008, 09:13 PM

God I hope so. Be a great atmos, and it's live on Sky. :D

cassthelass
01.09.2008, 09:15 PM
Yes let's hope so, that would be great.

SteButt
01.09.2008, 09:36 PM
They reckon it's starting to die out as predicted. By the time I wake up the worst should be over.

If anything truly horrific was going to happen I think it's fair to say it would probably have happened by now, so hopefully the state can start re populating in the next 48 hours maybe.

At 4:00 p.m. CDT the center of Hurricane Gustav was located near latitude 30.4 north, longitude 92.0 west or near Opelousas, Louisiana. This position is also about 15 miles north of Lafayette, Louisiana.

Gustav is moving toward the northwest near 16 mph and this motion is expected to continue with a decrease in forward speed during the next couple of days. This motion should bring the center of Gustav across southern and western Louisiana tonight, and into eastern Texas by Tuesday.

Maximum sustained winds are near 80 mph with higher gusts. Gustav is a category one hurricane on the Saffir-Simpson scale. Weakening is forecast during the next 24 to 48 hours, with Gustav forecast to become a tropical storm tonight or early Tuesday and a tropical depression late Tuesday or Wednesday.

Hurricane force winds extend outward up to 35 miles from the center, and tropical storm force winds extend outward up to 200 miles. Baton rouge Louisiana recently reported a wind gust of 82 mph.

Estimated minimum central pressure is 966 MB.

Storm surge flooding of 10 to 14 feet above normal tide levels on the coasts of southeastern Louisiana and Mississippi will be slow to subside tonight and Tuesday. Above normal tides elsewhere in the warned area should gradually subside tonight and Tuesday.

Gustav is expected to produce total rainfall accumulations of 6 to 12 inches over portions of Louisiana, southern and western Mississippi, Arkansas, southern Missouri, southeast Oklahoma, and northeastern Texas, with isolated maximum amounts of up to 20 inches possible through Thursday.

A few tornadoes are possible over the lower Mississippi valley and the central gulf coast tonight.

At 4:00 p.m. CDT the hurricane warning is changed to a tropical storm warning from Cameron, Louisiana westward. A hurricane warning remains in effect from just east of Cameron, Louisiana eastward to the Mississippi-Alabama border, including the city of New Orleans and Lake Pontchartrain. Preparations to protect life and property should have been completed.

A tropical storm warning is now in effect from Cameron westward to just east of high island Texas, and from the Mississippi-Alabama border to the Florida-Alabama border.

For storm information specific to your area, including possible inland watches and warnings, please monitor products issued by your local weather office.

Alexhardhits
01.09.2008, 09:45 PM
Fingers crossed that everything is going to be all right now...

Oh and sorry for cutting in on your thread

but someone at work said yesterday about Gustav, "Good practice for the wembley game"

DarrenSQh
01.09.2008, 10:12 PM

If it doesnt get any worse, the sense of relief that it wasent the storm of the centuary could make the atmosphere on sunday similar to when we returned after Katrina.

SaintNick
01.09.2008, 10:26 PM

If it doesnt get any worse, the sense of relief that it wasent the storm of the centuary could make the atmosphere on sunday similar to when we returned after Katrina.
Nothing in sports will ever touch that game.

But it is going to be an amazing game.

DarrenSQh
01.09.2008, 10:29 PM

Nothing in sports will ever touch that game.

But it is going to be an amazing game.

Was one of the first games i ever watched. Probably the reason i follow the saints. Was just amazing.

DarrenSQh
02.09.2008, 09:12 PM
Its been confirmed today on the Saints website that the game is confirmed as going ahead at the Dome on Sunday. There must not have been too much damage from the wind. Great news. :)

SteButt
02.09.2008, 09:25 PM
Its been confirmed today on the Saints website that the game is confirmed as going ahead at the Dome on Sunday. There must not have been too much damage from the wind. Great news. :)

Absolutely. Lets hope for some fans and staff!

saints 23
02.09.2008, 09:59 PM
"The Dome sustained only minor damage, mainly to exterior marquees...." www.neworleanssaints.com/news

will never forget the roar the team got when they ran out onto the field, truly a unforgettable moment in sports.

DarrenSQh
03.09.2008, 09:09 AM

Absolutely. Lets hope for some fans and staff!

Had on the news this morning that people should be able to return from tommorow as they are clearing up at the moment but most of the damage is due to trees and broken power lines.

zorro37
07.09.2008, 04:19 PM
Holy crap look at our list of inactives! >:(
New Orleans Saints
Mark Simoneau 53 LB
Hollis Thomas 99 DT
Usama Young 28 CB
Aaron Stecker 27 RB
Jermon Bushrod 74 T
Troy Evans 54 LB
Robert Meachem 17 WR
Mike McKenzie 34 CB
per the official site.

No Usama or MM! That means Gay and Porter starting, with David, Glenn and Craft. Galloway is in for a field day. Simoneau guarentees Vilma will take all the snaps. Stecker guarentee Deuce is starting. And what the hell does Meachem have to do to get playing time over Droppery? :o

Also we cut Matt Lehr and moved JoLonn Dunbarr to the active roster.

diceman18
07.09.2008, 04:36 PM
Yep im a bit mythed too...just gotta trust the coaching staff. ;)

Despite that, we've definetly gotta create a big time pass rush, or else Galloway will do his usual thing of torching our secondary...WAAAHHHWAHHHHH! :'(

MarkC07
07.09.2008, 04:39 PM
Very Suprised at Meachem. McKenzie is gonna be a big loss aswell.

MarkC07
07.09.2008, 08:25 PM
Nice game :D. Reggie did well so did Brees and Shockey and I'm delighted with our D especially with Poter and our pass rush.

zorro37
07.09.2008, 08:46 PM
The rest of the NFL should be crapping themselves.
From watching the game our offence was, honestly, crap for the best part of 3 quarters. The playcalling was predictable, and even though designed to attack the cover 2, the best weapon they had against it was Shockey and we couldn't get him into the game.

Probably our worst playwise offensive performance in some time.

Did someone say 350 passing yards and 100 rushing yards against last year's second ranked defence without breaking a sweat?

We had like 11 or 12 possesions, of which 5 we looked any good. Imagine what we'll be like when we look good the other 6 or 7.

diceman18
07.09.2008, 09:11 PM
Its all about the defense baby!

Man it feels so good to be able to say that our defense looked respectable, creating a pass rush and the CBs making plays one on one with the WRs...another positive is that Jason David was nowhere to be seen. ;)

SteButt
07.09.2008, 10:04 PM
Its all about the defense baby!

Man it feels so good to be able to say that our defense looked respectable, creating a pass rush and the CBs making plays one on one with the WRs...another positive is that Jason David was nowhere to be seen. ;)

Yeah, the big plus for me was the performance of the D. The front 4 were excellent, Vilma was very good ( especially first half ) and I was really impressed with the corners, especially rookie Tracy Porter, this guy has bags of potential.

Missed tackles annoyed me though - Roman Harper and Shanle I seem to remember missing "easy" tackles, and there were more besides - you could see Vilma was such a tackling upgrade over what we had previously.

Offensively I didn't think we were that bad even in the first 3 quarters, I think we've just been spoilt in the last 2 years! Certainly stepped up to the great level we know the O is capable of at the end.

Credit to the line too, Brees rarely looked like taking a sack - and I'm loving seeing Shockey in a Saints jersey, I've always been a fan of his - you could tell Payton wanted a genuinely top notch TE, and he has one now.

Having seen Washington play on Thursday, I'm really hopeful we can go 2-0.

All in all, a win against what I think are our best divisional rivals is certainly not to be sniffed at, great way to start the season. 8)

Magnitude
07.09.2008, 10:11 PM
I'm sad that Meachem didn't play :( I really like him.

But I'm happy Saints won ;D

MarkC07
07.09.2008, 10:14 PM
Ya I hope Meachem plays next week.

Dale01
08.09.2008, 05:08 PM
THIS IS THE SAINTS YEAR MARK MY WORDS!!!!!!!!!!

uksaintsfan
08.09.2008, 07:25 PM
Hey SteButt,
I am with you on this one.

How can you criticise 24 points on one of the best defences in the NFL? Sure, a big play to Devery (he caught it, amazing, but great throw by Brees once he knew it was a free play) and a big time play by RB25 too.

Not sure you canbe too critical of the offence, bar the inability to run out the clock late in the 4th. That has to be improved if we can get Deuce out there.

Disappointed re Meachem not being active... what does it say about him that the coaching staff pick others ahead of him given his preseason?

Vilma was awesome. Same number as one of our all-time and much loved greats... the one and only Sam Mills. Oh for the Dome Patrol now... if we had them boys now then NO could well be SB bound.

Jagslufc
08.09.2008, 08:32 PM
Must say i watched the game yesterday and was glued to the tv and didnt move during the whole game because didnt want to miss a single down...come to think of it a single second. Was entertaining to the max and am actually looking forward to the next time you are live on Sky.

Brees is going to be one of the QB's (Along with Tony Romo) who sets the standard within the QB ranks this year, and Bush is amazing his pace is electric and is so reliable when carrying the ball. The defence seems to be on the same wave length and protect Brees very well..and to say Shockey signed for you proves that this team is one to be feared for a number of years and the rookie CB Tracy Porter seemed to be able to cope with the step up from the College to the power house that is the NFL.

I think that this team has alot of potential and are one of my tips to go all the way to the Super Bowl.

Good luck with the rest of the season.

zorro37
09.09.2008, 05:13 PM
"The play before he was talking trash and the next play he was on my highlight tape," Bush said.

-Bush on juking Jermaine Phillips

;D Great quote.

SteButt
09.09.2008, 06:05 PM
"The play before he was talking trash and the next play he was on my highlight tape," Bush said.

-Bush on juking Jermaine Phillips

;D Great quote.

I enjoyed that one as well, and I get the impression Bush isn't much of a trash talker, but that's still nice.

KingKosar
10.09.2008, 03:30 PM
Just seen on Fox that Colston is out for 4-6 weeks with damaged thumb ligaments. Henderson and Patten should hold it all together for you guys though shouldnt they?!

diceman18
10.09.2008, 04:07 PM
Bad news on the injury front :( ...time for Meachem to play his first game i think.

We've certainly still got enough options for Drew though - Patten, Moore, Henderson, Bush and Shockey is more than enough for someone like Brees to work with. Im mean the Panthers beat the Chargers without Steve Smith!

At least Colston should be back for the london game ;)

MarkC07
10.09.2008, 04:20 PM
Devastating news :( . However we will be able to pull trough it I say. He was basically in-active on Sunday and we did fine.

With Bush stepping up, Jeremy Shockey, and Meachem looking like he could be a big player we will pull trough fine....... I hope :)

SteButt
10.09.2008, 05:57 PM
Really not great news - hopefully when he returns he returns 100%.

DarrenSQh
10.09.2008, 06:16 PM
Bit strange that he played on with the injury on sunday.

SaintNick
10.09.2008, 06:16 PM
I must be the only one not overly bothered about the injury. We're so deep at WR it's silly. We lose weapons on this offense to injury all the time, it still continues to be as explosive.

We'll be fine.

zorro37
11.09.2008, 04:58 PM
Billy Miller cut, great player for us at times last year. He made some clutch catches.
Also Hollis cut, meaning he is no longer on IR and technically a free agent, who we can resign when he recovers. Hope he's not done as a Saint.

Cumbrian_Exile
11.09.2008, 05:15 PM
Looking forward to the Bronco's V Saints game, I think it will end up being a shoot out between Culter and Breeze, should be fun to watch !

Whats your predictions ?

SaintNick
11.09.2008, 07:31 PM
I'll let ya know on Sunday, not sure if you looked good because it was the Raiders, or whether you are actually a good team again this year.

Really don't get the Colston hysteria. He missed 3 games in his rookie season, and they were 3 of our best offensive performances (Nothing compared to the Cowboys game, but good)
Against Cincy, Brees had 510 yards, our recieving options are much improved now, we'll be fine. Imagine the boost if we have a great record and then he comes back.

MarkC07
11.09.2008, 07:39 PM
I'll let ya know on Sunday, not sure if you looked good because it was the Raiders, or whether you are actually a good team again this year.

Really don't get the Colston hysteria. He missed 3 games in his rookie season, and they were 3 of our best offensive performances (Nothing compared to the Cowboys game, but good)
Against Cincy, Brees had 510 yards, our recieving options are much improved now, we'll be fine. Imagine the boost if we have a great record and then he comes back.

It is obvious to me that Colston is gonna be a small loss. I mean the guy holds the record for most receptions in the 1st 2 seasons of a career.

However we do have the person who is 2nd on that list and as stated before we have plenty of depth at WR.

I can see why people are worried but like you said we should be fine without him.

MarkC07
12.09.2008, 08:09 PM
Whats the situation with Mike McKenzie for Sunday. Is he playing?

MarkC07
14.09.2008, 04:10 PM
Any live streams of this game anywhere?

themouth18888
14.09.2008, 04:13 PM
Any live streams of this game anywhere?

Check your pm's!

themouth18888
14.09.2008, 04:17 PM
http://blog.nola.com/saintsbeat/2008/09/mckenzie_inactive_against_wash.html

Saints team news folks!

zorro37
14.09.2008, 04:27 PM
Dunbar starting I think he will relish it if his special teams play last week is anything to go by.
Brees 2 is the stream the one posted one saintsreport for the last few games or a different one?

themouth18888
14.09.2008, 04:29 PM
Dunbar starting I think he will relish it if his special teams play last week is anything to go by.
Brees 2 is the stream the one posted one saintsreport for the last few games or a different one?

A differant one Zorro! Will be trying to use the one from Saints report as well though. will PM you the other link

MarkC07
14.09.2008, 04:29 PM

Ya I hear there is a Justin.tv one which I would prefer to use.

themouth18888
14.09.2008, 04:32 PM

try and not mention any web sites on here like that mate, the mods dont take to kindly to it! Just dont want you getting a warning is all

zorro37
14.09.2008, 04:35 PM
Thanks for that.

MarkC07
14.09.2008, 04:36 PM

try and not mention any web sites on here like that mate, the mods dont take to kindly to it! Just dont want you getting a warning is all

My bad... Could you PM me the other link from SaintsReport?

zorro37
14.09.2008, 04:57 PM
Sean Payton signs 5 year extension per FOX!
:o
:)

DarrenSQh
14.09.2008, 04:58 PM
can i get a pm too. ;D

conchurm
16.09.2008, 12:21 PM
Apart from the TD, does anyone know if Meachem was on the pitch much/at all on Sunday (3 WR sets, even)? I would love to take a gamble on him for my fantasy team against Denver D, but can't really do that if he's not even seeing the pitch!

Cumbrian_Exile
17.09.2008, 10:31 AM
Looking forward to the Bronco's V Saints game, I think it will end up being a shoot out between Culter and Breeze, should be fun to watch !

Whats your predictions ?

Ok after the Chargers game I think its safe to say this WILL be a shoot out ! Our defense is poor, your secondary is banged up and both QB's are playing well.

dorotheajn
19.09.2008, 05:53 PM
Team just released Alvin McKinley and signed Joye Harrington :o

MarkC07
19.09.2008, 09:10 PM
Woo Padraigs distant cousin with the Saints :)

SDgod
20.09.2008, 02:51 AM
To be sure, to be sure.

zorro37
22.09.2008, 08:31 PM
You have got to be kidding me ::)

Not only Fujita, Colston, Brown and lots more injured, but.

Saints tight end Jeremy Shockey will have sports hernia surgery this week, a league source said Monday. The Saints' top offseason offensive acquisition will be out an estimated three to six weeks.

NOLA.com

:( We must be the unluckiest team in the league right now.

diceman18
22.09.2008, 08:49 PM

We always are...

SteButt
22.09.2008, 08:56 PM
You have got to be kidding me ::)

Not only Fujita, Colston, Brown and lots more injured, but.

Saints tight end Jeremy Shockey will have sports hernia surgery this week, a league source said Monday. The Saints' top offseason offensive acquisition will be out an estimated three to six weeks.

NOLA.com

In all fairness, look at the guys injury history, he never makes 16 games, so I don't think we can complain there.

SaintNick
22.09.2008, 09:03 PM
We're getting way too many muscle injuries though, it's pathetic.

Our strength and conditioning is pretty damn poor.

SteButt
22.09.2008, 09:13 PM
I don't see that, it's just a combination of injury prone players like Shockey and some bad luck.

From what I see "Camp Payton" is probably one of the 6 or 7 toughest ones out there - or at least it was in 06 and 07, didn't see much of '08, but I bet it was similar - so I don't buy the idea we've injury problems any more so than anyone else.

MarkC07
23.09.2008, 03:14 PM
Anyone have a total list of all our injured players?

Also since Shockey is gone who do you think our no.1 receiver is atm, Reggie Bush?

DarrenSQh
23.09.2008, 05:50 PM
Will Shockey miss the Wembley game?

diceman18
23.09.2008, 06:00 PM
Will Shockey miss the Wembley game?

3-6 weeks which means maybe...its a week 8 game so its just on the boundary of that.

zorro37
23.09.2008, 08:12 PM
This is getting repetitive.

Jamar Nesbit of the New Orleans Saints has been suspended without pay for the team’s next four games for violating the NFL Policy on Anabolic Steroids and Related Substances.

Nesbit’s suspension begins immediately. He is eligible to return to the Saints’ active roster on Monday, October 20 following the team’s October 19 game against the Carolina Panthers.

“We are disappointed in the suspension of Jamar,” said Saints Executive Vice President/General Manager Mickey Loomis. “We will support Jamar through this process and look forward to having him rejoin the team soon.”

But here the replacement is Carl Nicks who in my opinion is an upgrade. Nicks is the strongest and most agile OL we have, and was daylight robbery in the 5th, when I had him ranked above Dwane Brown who went in the first.

Also Nicks is a good ole fashioned mauler which could help our ground game. If Strief picks up where he left off last week our OL should be ok.

diceman18
23.09.2008, 08:20 PM
Also Nicks is a good ole fashioned mauler which could help our ground game. If Strief picks up where he left off last week our OL should be ok.

I agree, Nicks is a beast and should definitely be an upgrade, even over a roided Nesbit. Our running game didnt suffer at all when Strief came in for Brown so in that respect this is probably the least of our worries.

zorro37
24.09.2008, 09:13 PM
Patten didn't practice today, but Jammal Brown did. If he can't play on Sunday that's our first 2 WRs and TEs both gone, even with Brees the player he is that's a hammer blow.

Healthy dose of Reggie, PT, and hopefully Deuce on Sunday then.

zorro37
24.09.2008, 09:25 PM
Not even funny >:(
Add fullback Mike Karney to the list of injured Saints players. He missed Wednesday's practice with a sprained ankle that he suffered during that ill-fated third-and-1 attempt late in the fourth quarter at Denver. Karney is holding out hope that he might be able to play Sunday against San Francisco, and said he hopes he's back by next week at the latest.

Eight players did not participate Wednesday: cornerback Randall Gay (hamstring), cornerback Aaron Glenn (ankle), linebacker Troy Evans (ankle), receiver David Patten (groin), tight end Mark Campbell (hamstring), tight end Jeremy Shockey (sports hernia), receiver Marques Colston (thumb) and Karney.

NOLA.com

themouth18888
24.09.2008, 09:40 PM
Yep just heard this as well :'(. Injuries are gonna put and end to our playoff run! Saying that we are unlucky imo not to be 3-0 this season

Bobario
29.09.2008, 05:18 PM
I watched the Saints last night and they played really well. If it wasnt for two unlucky defeats, we might well have been 4-0 at the minute. Oh, and it was great to see Deuce getting his first touchdown in a long while. ;D

MarkC07
29.09.2008, 06:23 PM
Ya was a great game.

Quick question. Does anyone know how Drew Brees got that scar on the side of his face or is it even a scar?

Bit random but I've always been wondering.

diceman18
29.09.2008, 06:34 PM
Ya was a great game.

Quick question. Does anyone know how Drew Brees got that scar on the side of his face or is it even a scar?

Bit random but I've always been wondering.

Its a birthmark - 'the birthmark of destiny'.... :D

SteButt
29.09.2008, 08:44 PM
Great to see Deuce back, and to see us extend our run against our former divisional rivals to 5.

Must say the second quarter killed San Fran, never looked like they would get back in it after that.

Tracy Porter looks like he's got potential people....... ;D

MarkC07
29.09.2008, 08:49 PM
Great to see Deuce back, and to see us extend our run against our former divisional rivals to 5.

Must say the second quarter killed San Fran, never looked like they would get back in it after that.

Tracy Porter looks like he's got potential people....... ;D

Yup I must agree I'm liking him so far. Good week 1 got picked on against Washington but very solid once again yesterday.

Congrats on your 1st NFL sack and int Tracy! :)

On his int:
“We were playing a three deep coverage. The guy thought he had a wide open inside. I read it and stayed on his hip. I read the quarterback. I saw that he was looking at him the whole time and at the last second I under cut it and made a play.”

zorro37
02.10.2008, 08:29 PM
New Orleans rookie defensive tackle Sedrick Ellis went through individual drills during practice Thursday, but went into the locker room with a right knee injury. Head coach Sean Payton said medical staff was looking at the knee and didn't know anymore of that.
Payton said Ellis felt his knee kind of "click" during practice.

http://www.beloblog.com//WWLTV_Blogs...t-accolad.html

I have run out of things to say while postin injuries now. Wow, just wow. My limited medical knowledge says if a knee click is accompanied by pain and feels uncomfortable it is bad. Could be nothing but could be ligaments or something. I'll try not to think about that.
:'(

MarkC07
02.10.2008, 09:08 PM
Unluckiest team in the NFL?

SteButt
02.10.2008, 09:13 PM
We certainly have had our fair share this year, but TBH other than Deuce we haven't really been too bad this last couple of years.

Bad news with Ellis though, I love the fact we took a big DT in the first round, and we needed one, so to lose him for any length of time would be a big problem. Our bye week is gonna come at just the wrong time, it seems, we could do with it in the next 2 weeks really.

MarkC07
02.10.2008, 09:15 PM
"Vikings will be without Henderson"

There's a small bit of luck.

zorro37
02.10.2008, 09:16 PM
I really can't see our aging backups chasing All Day all night. And we should bring Hollis back if needed, but I really can't see him doing much against him either.

If Ellis is out I doubt we contain him to less than 150 :(

diceman18
02.10.2008, 09:18 PM
I really can't see our aging backups chasing All Day all night. And we should bring Hollis back if needed, but I really can't see him doing much against him either.

If Ellis is out I doubt we contain him to less than 150 :(

Exactly, its AD not AN - who said he could play at night! :D

These injuries are just farcical now - and that knee clicking thing is making me feel queezy.

zorro37
03.10.2008, 04:53 PM
http://blog.nola.com/saintsbeat/2008/10/more_bad_news_for_new_orleans.html

Torn medial meniscus, Ellis out 2 to 4 weeks.

Bullocks.

SteButt
03.10.2008, 05:10 PM

Bullocks.

Hopefully they don't rush him back - we should be aiming for the playoffs and I'd rather have a bunch of fit players, such as Shockey, Ellis and Colston ready to return after the bye week.

MarkC07
03.10.2008, 05:18 PM

Bullocks.

Couldn't have come at a worse time.

zorro37
03.10.2008, 06:02 PM
David Patten is now officially out of the game on Monday as well.
Injuries for Week 5
Name Position Injury Practice Status Game Status
Sedrick Ellis DT Knee Did Not Participate In Practice --
Chris Reis S Hamstring Did Not Participate In Practice --
Mark Campbell TE Hamstring Limited Participation in Practice --
Terrance Copper WR Hamstring Limited Participation in Practice --
Troy Evans LB Ankle Limited Participation in Practice --
Randall Gay CB Hamstring Limited Participation in Practice --
Jonathan Goodwin C Hamstring Limited Participation in Practice --
Mike Karney RB Ankle Limited Participation in Practice --
Olaniyi Sobomehin RB Shoulder Limited Participation in Practice --
Aaron Stecker RB Hamstring Limited Participation in Practice --
Marques Colston WR Thumb Out (Definitely Will Not Play) --
Aaron Glenn CB Ankle Out (Definitely Will Not Play) --
David Patten WR Groin Out (Definitely Will Not Play) --
Jeremy Shockey TE Hernia Out (Definitely Will Not Play) -

MarkC07
03.10.2008, 07:01 PM
David Patten is now officially out of the game on Monday as well.
Injuries for Week 5
Name ***Position ***Injury ***Practice Status ***Game Status
Sedrick Ellis ***DT ***Knee ***Did Not Participate In Practice ***--
Chris Reis ***S ***Hamstring ***Did Not Participate In Practice ***--
Mark Campbell ***TE ***Hamstring ***Limited Participation in Practice ***--
Terrance Copper ***WR ***Hamstring ***Limited Participation in Practice ***--
Troy Evans ***LB ***Ankle ***Limited Participation in Practice ***--
Randall Gay ***CB ***Hamstring ***Limited Participation in Practice ***--
Jonathan Goodwin ***C ***Hamstring ***Limited Participation in Practice ***--
Mike Karney ***RB ***Ankle ***Limited Participation in Practice ***--
Olaniyi Sobomehin ***RB ***Shoulder ***Limited Participation in Practice ***--
Aaron Stecker ***RB ***Hamstring ***Limited Participation in Practice ***--
Marques Colston ***WR ***Thumb ***Out (Definitely Will Not Play) ***--
Aaron Glenn ***CB ***Ankle ***Out (Definitely Will Not Play) ***--
David Patten ***WR ***Groin ***Out (Definitely Will Not Play) ***--
Jeremy Shockey ***TE ***Hernia ***Out (Definitely Will Not Play) ***-

Sedrick Ellis is probably the only person I'm worried about there tbh. Besides the obvious Colston and Shockey.

DarrenSQh
07.10.2008, 09:31 AM

Would say so after last night.

Anyone know how bad porters injury from last night was yet?

MarkC07
07.10.2008, 09:05 PM
Gramatica dissapoints once again. Don't care if he can kick a 50 yarder, he needs to step up and win us some games.

diceman18
07.10.2008, 09:39 PM

Would say so after last night.

Anyone know how bad porters injury from last night was yet?

http://saintsreport.com/forums/showthread.php?t=87284

Well he dislocated his wrist...im not sure how bad it was but he had to have surgery.

zorro37
07.10.2008, 10:01 PM
It's nice knowing you might have the best team in franchise history never to see the field.

'NFL Network's Adam Schefter reports the Saints have placed rookie CB Tracy Porter on the season-ending injured reserve list.'

http://rotoworld.com/content/Home_NFL.aspx

I have officially run out of words to describe it. This might be the 15th post in a month I've made in this thread reporting bad news re: an injury.

diceman18
07.10.2008, 10:04 PM
FFS...really annoying...someone end it for me already.

SteButt
08.10.2008, 04:56 AM
It's nice knowing you might have the best team in franchise history never to see the field.

'NFL Network's Adam Schefter reports the Saints have placed rookie CB Tracy Porter on the season-ending injured reserve list.'

I have officially run out of words to describe it. This might be the 15th post in a month I've made in this thread reporting bad news re: an injury.

Wonderful :(

MarkC07
08.10.2008, 06:46 AM
Great, was really starting to like this guy.

DarrenSQh
08.10.2008, 11:38 AM

Just when you think it cant possibly get any worse another player goes down injured. Porter has been excellent for us so far as well.

This might see jason David get alot more playing time ::) :-X

diceman18
08.10.2008, 04:01 PM
Well im hoping Usama Young starts getting the playing time instead of David...he looked solid during training camp/pre season and he hasnt really got a fair chance as of yet.

zorro37
08.10.2008, 05:12 PM
How many teams in the league right now have only 1 of their 6 draft picks even stepping on the football field each week right now?
Ellis - 3+ weeks
Porter - IR
Pressley - IR
Mehlhaff - Cut
Arrington - IR.

On the plus side
It looks like Aberdeen native Taylor Mehlhaff is going to get another shot at kicking with the New Orleans Saints.

The Saints aren't happy with the performance of veteran Martin Gramatica, who missed a potential game winning field late in Monday night's loss to the Vikings. So they are interested in re-signing Mehlhaff, the rookie they cut at the end of training camp after picking him in the 6th round of the NFL Draft last spring.

Taylor, who's been at the University of Wisconsin working out, will fly out to New Orleans Wednesday. There were some flight delays in Madison Tuesday night.

He's expected to get an offer from the Saints and he could very well be New Orleans starting kicker, when the Saints host the Raiders on Sunday.
http://www.ksfy.com/sports/headlines/30603309.html

In the NFL, it's all in the kicker's head. I was a Mehlhaff fan this preseason, but Gramatica appeared to be more mentally sound after mistakes. Now it's the opposite, Mehlhaff is working out every day, and will relish any oppurtunity given to him. Gramatica on the other hand now knows he may well be personally responsible for 2 losses now. He's a veteran guy, but after the first one, and then being able to nail a 53 yarder up the middle, but missing the one that counts.

I think the way he hung his head after that kick said it all. He knew rightly he had probably just lost his job.

On the CB issue, I think a signing is needed for depth. Aaron Glenn was very impressive in preseason and may be the answer instead of David as a fill in, but Usama had reportedly the best training camp of any Saint and is the best athlete on our roster. He is very similar to Porter and has been a special teams demon so far, and is clearly hoping to see more time. He learns fast, and with his speed he can nullify the usual mistakes you'd expect from a young guy.

diceman18
08.10.2008, 05:27 PM
Mehlhaff - Cut

As you said, hopefully we'll have 2 draft picks playing for us next week...Gramatica has just fallen apart.

SteButt
08.10.2008, 05:32 PM
Well im hoping Usama Young starts getting the playing time instead of David...he looked solid during training camp/pre season and he hasnt really got a fair chance as of yet.

Agreed.

zorro37
08.10.2008, 07:14 PM
Taylor Mehlhaff-K- Saints Oct. 8 - 2:08 pm et

Saints re-signed K Taylor Mehlhaff.
Martin Gramatica went on injured reserve with his bum groin; he wasn't cut as Mehlhaff told a South Dakota paper he would be. Mehlhaff was solid in the preseason and will be kicking in a dome on a high-octane offense.

Martin Gramatica-K- Saints Oct. 8 - 2:06 pm et

Saints placed K Martin Gramatica (groin) on injured reserve, ending his season.
The man formerly known as "Automatica" was anything but in five games this year, going only 6-for-10 on field goal attempts and failing to kick a touchback in his last two games. He'll be an unrestricted free agent in 2009.
Source: New Orleans Times-Picayune

I really do feel a bit sorry for MG though, he went 7 games without missing a kick, then he loses 2 of the next 3 games for us. In his interview after the game he made no excuses, took it like a man. Said he felt terrible for letting down the fans and his teammates etc. And it looks like he was kicking with a bad groin, or else he would have been cut.

diceman18
08.10.2008, 07:18 PM
Yeh i mean being a kicker is a tough position to be in...there's just no room for error - apparently they're human as well. ???

Having said that it was definetly time for a change, effectively loosing two games doesnt make up for the other kicks which at NFL level are meant to be slotted through anyway.

MarkC07
08.10.2008, 07:39 PM
Whats Mehlhaff like? Didn't see much of our pre-season games....

diceman18
08.10.2008, 07:52 PM
Left footed and really hench for a kicker...

...in all seriousness he was pretty impressive. He nailed all but one of his kicks (that one was the only difference between MG and TM), and was impressive (albeit slighlty inconsistant) on his kickoffs. Was pretty much automatic under 45 yards in college and hopefully that will translate into the NFL...or more specifically into the last two minutes of a game in the NFL.

zorro37
08.10.2008, 07:53 PM

Stronger leg than Gramatica (not by much) but without the same degree of close range accuracy. Only time will tell how he copes with pressure. He's a leftie if you don't know that yet.

At Wisconsin he was 50 of 65 on FG. As a senior he was 21/25. Nearly half of his 250 kickoffs went for touchbacks.

He should be pretty automatic inside 40 but can confidently step up to 50 + yarders too.

diceman18
08.10.2008, 07:56 PM
A couple encouraging quotes from his college scouting report on NFL.com...

'has never had a field goal or extra point blocked. '

'Very poised under pressure'

Right, the job's yours! ;)

MarkC07
09.10.2008, 04:41 PM
Things looking good for Shockey and Colston!

Click! (http://www.neworleanssaints.com/Articles/2008/10/Head%20Coach%20Sean%20Payton%20Talks%20About%20the %20Raiders.aspx)

MarkC07
10.10.2008, 05:31 PM
Even better for Colston now:

http://blogs.nfl.com/2008/10/10/saints-wr-colston-to-play-vs-raiders/

Will be glad to see him back.

DarrenSQh
10.10.2008, 09:45 PM
Thats good new about Colston and Shockey.

Be great to see them back playing.

DarrenSQh
11.10.2008, 09:46 AM
Just got my tickets through the post for wembley. They must be the biggest tickets i have ever seen. :D

Will be in London at this time in two weeks.

MarkC07
12.10.2008, 08:10 PM
Now we go to Carolina next week with hopefully Shockey and Colston back. NFC South is gonna be tough.

zorro37
19.10.2008, 09:32 PM
Could the game have been any worse?

No way should Colston have been playing. He and Shockey were rushed back. Reggie is a massive blow. Brees wasn't his self. Jammal Brown was godawful. As were our instincts and hands on defence barring #51.

Some unexpected news:
SAINTS CUT WEATHERFORD
Posted by Mike Florio on October 19, 2008, 5:16 p.m. EDT

Though he’s still listed on the team’s online roster, a league source tells us that the Saints cut punter Steve Weatherford after Sunday’s loss to the Panthers.

Weatherford averaged 35.7 yards on five punts in a 30-7 loss to the Panthers. The net was 30.2.

It’s unknown whether he was released due to his punting or for other reasons.

Our coaching staff has dialled up some bad games, now Gibbs and Payton both. They have been cutting and resigning like there is no tommorrow. Matt Lehr has been cut I think 6 times since the season began. They cut Terrance Copper for a bust and then resigned Copper this week. Now cutting Weatherford. Payton may see them as deadwood but they have both been very good special teamers since he came here. And with losses like that he locker room faith can only be going down.

I have really got a bad feeling we are self imploding, and we shall see what the London trip does there.

PavlovsDog
19.10.2008, 09:34 PM
What would the 'other reasons' be? Maybe he trashed the locker room post game?

DarrenSQh
19.10.2008, 09:36 PM
Could the game have been any worse?

No way should Colston have been playing. He and Shockey were rushed back. Reggie is a massive blow. Brees wasn't his self. Jammal Brown was godawful. As were our instincts and hands on defence barring #51.

Some unexpected news:
SAINTS CUT WEATHERFORD
Posted by Mike Florio on October 19, 2008, 5:16 p.m. EDT

Though he’s still listed on the team’s online roster, a league source tells us that the Saints cut punter Steve Weatherford after Sunday’s loss to the Panthers.

Weatherford averaged 35.7 yards on five punts in a 30-7 loss to the Panthers. The net was 30.2.

It’s unknown whether he was released due to his punting or for other reasons.

Seems a strange one to cut. Have we got any other punters?

Would agree that todays game couldnt have gone any worse for us.

MarkC07
19.10.2008, 09:36 PM
Horrible game. Big blow to our chances of making the playoffs aswell. Aw well win or lose next week, atleast I'll be seing the Saints live!

zorro37
19.10.2008, 09:37 PM
What would the 'other reasons' be? Maybe he trashed the locker room post game?
I didn't see any bling today but maybe he was wearing it again :dunno:

When Gramatica missed a 40something yard would be game winner @ Broncos Weatherford had a watch and ring on while holding. It actually looked from one angle like Gramatica was slightly blinded by the light reflecting.

Anyway he has done a very good job punting and holding for 3 years now coming in as an UDFA and I don't think we're going to get anyone as good in the open market.

SaintNick
19.10.2008, 09:40 PM
Ah well.

Bring on Wembley.

DarrenSQh
19.10.2008, 09:41 PM
I didn't see any bling today but maybe he was wearing it again :dunno:

When Gramatica missed a 40something yard would be game winner @ Broncos Weatherford had a watch and ring on while holding. It actually looked from one angle like Gramatica was slightly blinded by the light reflecting.

Anyway he has done a very good job punting and holding for 3 years now coming in as an UDFA and I don't think we're going to get anyone as good in the open market.

It does seem strange. Weird to cut someone an hour after a game finished.

MarkC07
19.10.2008, 09:45 PM
http://www.profootballtalk.com/2008/10/19/saints-expect-bush-goodwin-to-be-out-4-6-weeks/

Ugh...............

DarrenSQh
19.10.2008, 09:49 PM
On saints report they are saying Shockey has been re injured and wont play next week. Seemingly being reported on espn radio.

zorro37
19.10.2008, 09:52 PM
Just go do something else and try to forget about our injuries. 5 starters on offence alone highly doubtful or out for Wembley (Shockey, Patten, Goodwin, Bush, Nesbit).

It feels like someone is having a laugh.

PavlovsDog
19.10.2008, 09:57 PM
It does seem strange. Weird to cut someone an hour after a game finished.

Not really. If they are flying out to London tonight, then one assumes they had to make the move as quickly as possible.

SaintNick
19.10.2008, 09:58 PM
What next, Brees doesn't have a passport?

What a crap day. :(

zorro37
19.10.2008, 10:02 PM
Although I am in my heart very optimistic, in my head I am thinking that realistically unless this inconceivable slew of injuries grinds to a halt before it takes out he who must not be injured, and our coaching drastically improves, 8-8 or less and a top ten pick (AGAIN) is what we are headed for.

But giving up on the season in week 7 before you go to see your first ever Saints game is non sensical. But, seriously, I cannot stress enough how much these injuries need to stop. God, you've had your fun messing with us, but we are the SAINTS, please give us something positive, like a big win in London, better gameplans etc.

zorro37
20.10.2008, 04:12 PM
After struggling in return, Shockey rips Saints

By MIKE CRANSTON – 16 hours ago

CHARLOTTE, N.C. (AP) — Jeremy Shockey was hurting, frustrated and angry after a miserable return to the New Orleans Saints on Sunday following hernia surgery.

Shockey questioned how the team has handled his injury and was unsure if he'll play next week in London.

The four-time Pro Bowl tight end, who had missed the past three games with a sports hernia, practiced last week and was cleared to play. But on the first play of Carolina's 30-7 win, Shockey said he "did the splits" and felt pain.

"I feel a spot in my leg that wasn't there before," said Shockey, who indicated he was hopeful he only dug up scar tissue and did not suffer more damage.

Shockey was clearly slowed by the injury. Later, after a catch, Shockey had the ball stripped by Julius Peppers and Carolina recovered. It led to the Panthers' go-ahead touchdown in a rout that left Shockey in a foul mood despite leading the team with five catches for 50 yards.

"I had a fumble that hurt the team. I missed a backside cutoff block," Shockey said. "That's on me, 14 points I felt like I gave up today, not because of effort, but just because physically I'm not healthy."

Shockey said he may have come back too soon from the surgery, and also indicated the Saints erred by misdiagnosing him in training camp.

"I'm worried that this thing could have been taken care of in camp, like it should have been," said Shockey, who the Saints acquired from the New York Giants in July for two draft picks. "If it wasn't misdiagnosed in camp like it was there'd have been no problems. ... Next time I know. When I get hurt I'll get three or four opinions besides just the team's."

Shockey underwent surgery four weeks ago, and had practiced without limitation the week before facing the Panthers. In contrast, Philadelphia Eagles receiver Kevin Curtis had hernia surgery in August and has yet to play this season.

"It's not a three-to-six-week recovery time," said Shockey, who alluded to Curtis. "It's really a five-to-seven-week."

Shockey's injury concerns were part of a horrible day for the Saints' offense, which was held to seven points by Carolina and watched running back Reggie Bush and center Jonathan Goodwin leave with left knee injuries.

Shockey said he would know more about his status Monday.

"I want to help this team win that brought me here," Shockey said. "I'm just disappointed in myself. I'm making plays and everything, but I'm just not healthy."

IMO this is not Shockey talking trash or being moody. This is the absolute truth. He had a good game but no way would he have fumbled that ball if he was healthy, he was carrying it badly and running awkwardly. He wasn't his usual self, going out of bounds instead of at the secondary.

No way in hell should Colston have been playing with a hard plastic mould on that didn't allow any movement of 3 of the fingers on his left hand. He was targeted 4 times, 2 drops, 1 picked due to being underthrown, and one should have been picked easy after Marques tipped it up in the air. The way he catches it he does so by the book for such a big guy, away from his body by squeezing in the ball with his huge hands. He couldn't do that yesterday.

Brees was putting up record setting numbers and a 100+ QB rating with Meachem, Moore, Henderson, Miller, and Campbell. Sure the Panthers are a great defence, but due to their injuries that was 2 turnovers and several unfruitful drives directly from their injuries.

We made lots of bad decisions yesterday and we need to recognise them and do better one Sunday.

MarkC07
20.10.2008, 05:27 PM
IMO this is not Shockey talking trash or being moody. This is the absolute truth. He had a good game but no way would he have fumbled that ball if he was healthy, he was carrying it badly and running awkwardly. He wasn't his usual self, going out of bounds instead of at the secondary.

No way in hell should Colston have been playing with a hard plastic mould on that didn't allow any movement of 3 of the fingers on his left hand. He was targeted 4 times, 2 drops, 1 picked due to being underthrown, and one should have been picked easy after Marques tipped it up in the air. The way he catches it he does so by the book for such a big guy, away from his body by squeezing in the ball with his huge hands. He couldn't do that yesterday.

Brees was putting up record setting numbers and a 100+ QB rating with Meachem, Moore, Henderson, Miller, and Campbell. Sure the Panthers are a great defence, but due to their injuries that was 2 turnovers and several unfruitful drives directly from their injuries.

We made lots of bad decisions yesterday and we need to recognise them and do better one Sunday.

IMO this is Shockey being Shockey. If we won he would have been praising the staff for getting him back as quick as possible. This is classic Shockey always looking for a reason to complain.

Anyway it's time to get yesterdays game out of our head. The Saints are coming to Wembley on Sunday and I know some people here are going to see them. Can't wait :D

PhoenixCharlie
20.10.2008, 09:23 PM
Reckon we will get to see a bit of meachem at wembley, he looked **** hot in prea season and has a few TD's this year i think?

boknows34
21.10.2008, 08:41 AM
Aussie Ex-Jet Ben Graham is your new punter.

themouth18888
21.10.2008, 10:16 AM
Im totally gutted about not getting to see Reggie Bush tearing it up the Wembley field and also Sjockey missing as well will be a big blow! Seriously when are our injury's gonna stop? Porter missing is a big blow that I dont think we realised how big it would be. Was getting worried about Brees on Sun, He was over and unfer throwing which he never does, for a sec I was thinking he may be a bit hurt as well.

MarkC07
22.10.2008, 04:25 PM
Anyone know the condition for Sedrick Ellis on Sunday?

Loquacious
22.10.2008, 07:38 PM
Anyone know the condition for Sedrick Ellis on Sunday?

I believe Sedrick still isn't ready to come back, which is a great shame...

What a cool thread this is with the originals starting back in 05 with talk of Aaron Brooks, so why not mention a little more about Mr. Brooks... Now a land developer after being released by the Raiders and having unsuccessful tryouts at Pittsburgh and Green Bay!

Perhaps Kansas City should have a look, got to be better than what they have at the moment...

12times
22.10.2008, 07:44 PM
saw both sides of brooks in 8 days when the Saints lost at home to the Bucs 14-7 then blew out the Giants something like 45-14 8 days later. around 4 years ago IIRCC. was in the big easy for both games !!

Loquacious
22.10.2008, 07:45 PM

He appaears to be OK, few cobwebs to start but anything was always going to be better than Marteeeeeeeeeeeen 'Dramakicker' Gramatica. Was so happy when he was placed on IR, or whatever they did with him. Personally i'd have sent him back to deepest darkest Argentina never to set sights on the NFL again!!!

Loquacious
22.10.2008, 08:00 PM
Im totally gutted about not getting to see Reggie Bush tearing it up the Wembley field and also Sjockey missing as well will be a big blow! Seriously when are our injury's gonna stop? Porter missing is a big blow that I dont think we realised how big it would be. Was getting worried about Brees on Sun, He was over and unfer throwing which he never does, for a sec I was thinking he may be a bit hurt as well.

It's time for Aaron Stecker and Pierre Thomas to step up bigtime... Not only to take the load off Deuce's knees and the lack of Reggie but to maintain a balanced offence and give Drew Brees a little less to deal with...

I'm sure sundays performance against Carolina had a lot to do with him having already thrown for 2200+ yards nearly 400 yards more than any other QB!

BREES 4 MVP

DarrenSQh
23.10.2008, 09:35 AM
Really looking forward to the game now. Hoping to get a Brees shirt when down at the game. Will be wearing my Reggie one.

Hoping that we can get a win but with Injuries it going to be difficult. If we have any chance of making the playoffs then i think we have to win on sunday.

Go Saints.

hashpipe
24.10.2008, 02:09 PM
Good read from Mail

Saints’ mission to rebuild spirit of New Orleans after disaster

The New Orleans Saints are more than just an American Football team. They are a symbol of hope, togetherness, courage, determination and, most of all, the defining symbol of a city that refused to die.

When they step out on to Wembley's lush turf on Sunday to face the San Diego Chargers it will be confirmation that the NFL's long-distance experiment is here to stay in London.

Yet theirs is not a journey that can be measured in miles. In three years since Hurricane Katrina ripped through New Orleans and caused devastation on a scale that is almost impossible to exaggerate, the city has wrapped itself in the arms of its football team and allowed itself to be carried clear of the flood waters that threatened its very existence.
New Orleans Saints

The city of jazz, Mardi Gras and the historic French Quarter became known instead for damage and death in late August 2005.

The Saints' stadium, the Louisiana Superdome, became home to 25,000 refugees as the levees protecting the city collapsed under the force of the storm surge.

Of all the people who lost their lives, six died at the Superdome - four through natural causes, one from a drug overdose and one a suicide. Rumours swirled around the Superdome.

Rumours of ****; of rampant drug use; of violence; of 100 deaths, maybe more.

For 25,000 desperate people clinging to life inside this modern-day ark as Katrina began to rip off the white rubber membrane protecting the Superdome's roof and water began to pour in, the only true certainties were the twin terrors of chaos and squalor.

When the Superdome re-opened 13 months later, it was the signal to the world that New Orleans had risen once more.

The city was still in a state of flux, yet the population knew that if the Saints were back in town then everything else would follow.
Hurricane Katrina

The world was stunned by the Hurricane Katrina disaster in New Orleans three years ago

Linebacker Scott Fujita said: 'I've played in some big football cities, Kansas City and Dallas, where it wouldn't be uncommon to have a fan come up and say: "Great game," or "Hey, man, you suck. You're the worst player ever."

'But here, during that season without exception, every single day I'd be walking the streets, walking my dogs downtown, and I'd have people coming up and just saying: "Thank you." That was pretty meaningful for me.

'It was one of those moments in time that you can never quite duplicate. A lot of people were still down on their luck, there was a lot of rebuilding still going on, they were putting the street signs back up, but you had posters at the games saying: "Bless you, boys".'

The stains left in New Orleans are as indelible in the minds of its citizens as the yellow water-line marks ringing houses that serve as a shocking reminder of the height of the floodwaters which forced terrified residents on to their roofs or into attics where some met their deaths.

Just as gruesome are the painted crosses on the facades of homes submerged as the flood waters rose.

The crosses were the calling card of the emergency services to designate which buildings had been inspected in the days and weeks which followed Katrina.

The numbers and letters drawn on each side of the cross indicate something different, but it is the figure at the bottom which still sends a blood-curdling chill through everyone who reads it - the number of bodies recovered from the house.

While rebuilding work continues and houses are either repaired, or more likely bulldozed and replaced, the scale of the disaster means that three years on New Orleans remains a city in limbo.

The Lower 9th Ward district is a wasteland dotted with regeneration projects. Sponsors range from the city's jazz musicians to Hollywood actor Brad Pitt.

The new homes are brightly coloured and ecologically friendly, but while their grateful owners will return, tens of thousands of New Orleans residents will not.
David Patten and Darren Sproles

What is needed is not just housing but a life to accompany it. Saints quarterback Drew Brees is attempting to fill that void.

He is close to reaching an ambitious $2million target to fund 12 projects in the city specifically aimed at the children of New Orleans.

He said: 'The projects will help rebuild schools, parks, playgrounds, athletics field, programmes for childcare, after-school mentoring, tutoring.

'The way we look at it is if you're a family looking to move back to New Orleans, the first thing you're going to look at is whether it's a safe, good environment for your kids to be raised in.'

Brees donates all of the money from personal appearances to his foundation and has structured his marketing deals accordingly.

He chose to move to New Orleans as a free agent in March 2006, seven months after Katrina struck.

He added: 'Maybe only 40 per cent of the original population were back here by then. For me it was very exciting. A fresh start, a revival for the city, this sporting organisation, my career. I felt like it was a calling for me to come here.

'The more time that you spend here, the more that you love it and the more that you want to give back for the community. It's a special place. It was an opportunity to help to rebuild not only a team, an organisation and a city, but also a region. How many people get that opportunity in their lifetime?'

Sunday's Wembley appearance is part of the masterplan to inform the world that New Orleans is open for business once more and that jazz is back, having replaced the eerie silence under which the city suffered for too long.

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/othersports/article-1079524/Saints-8217-mission-rebuild-spirit-New-Orleans-disaster.html

Geaux Saints

zorro37
24.10.2008, 03:53 PM
Breaking news. I don't ****ing believe it.

There has been a “rash of positive tests under the steroid policy as a result of players taking water pills to lose weight," a highly-placed NFL source said.

The source told FOX 31’s Josina Anderson Friday morning that New Orleans Saints’ running back Deuce McAllister, and defensive end Will Smith were included in the web of positive tests.

“There are about six to ten overall positive tests. Three to four of them are from the Saints organization alone including McAllister and Smith.
http://community.myfoxcolorado.com/blogs/Denvr_Sports_Insider

4 game suspensions pending appeal :(

SaintNick
24.10.2008, 04:28 PM
If you don't laugh you will DEFINITELY cry.

What a joke.

hashpipe
24.10.2008, 04:30 PM
4 GAMES FOR TAKING WATER PILLS!

can things get any worse?

towen5
24.10.2008, 04:45 PM
I read a really good article on the Saints today in T2 inside The Times. Had a big section on the after effects of Hurricane Katrina and how the team helped. I've developed a real soft spot for the Saints, i think i've always had it but pushed it away due to team rivalry.

I can't believe how much the team (Brees and Horn especially) have done for New Orleans and Louisana.

hashpipe
24.10.2008, 04:49 PM
I read a really good article on the Saints today in T2 inside The Times. Had a big section on the after effects of Hurricane Katrina and how the team helped. I've developed a real soft spot for the Saints, i think i've always had it but pushed it away due to team rivalry.

I can't believe how much the team (Brees and Horn especially) have done for New Orleans and Louisana.

Go back to page 75 for article. I agree, really good piece.

MarkC07
27.10.2008, 06:41 PM
Well how great was that? :D . I have a new found love for Lance Moore as he celebrated infront of where we were sitting, twice :) and for Vilma aswell after that game winning int.

Other Saints fans thoughts?

Loquacious
27.10.2008, 07:53 PM
Well how great was that? :D . I have a new found love for Lance Moore as he celebrated infront of where we were sitting, twice :) and for Vilma aswell after that game winning int.

Other Saints fans thoughts?

The pylon slide was great... Also right infront of me. Missed the pic opportunity though!

MarkC07
27.10.2008, 10:39 PM
Anyone have a good picture of Lance Moores celebration?

DarrenSQh
27.10.2008, 11:36 PM
Im just back home just now. What a great weekend.

DarrenSQh
28.10.2008, 06:42 PM
I'm feeling really good after a big win in London, boys! But let's not get too caught up in the win, we have a big game Sunday. Although it will be a tough one, I'll tell you why I think we're well on our way to 4-4...

The Bye hasn't won a game yet.

David won't have a chance to blow coverage against the Bye.

Not ONE player has been injured in a game against the Bye this year.

The Bye's passing defense is practically non-existent.

The Bye is already looking towards the 09 draft.

Remember last time we played the Bye? This team will be out for blood and won't settle for a loss.

In fact, they won't settle for a win either. The Bye is that crafty.

I hear the Bye is resting it's RB for a bigger game.

It's just a gut feeling, but I bet the Bye won't even show up. Forfeit.

Well, duh... we're due.

Saw this on Saints report and thought it was quite funny.

hashpipe
28.10.2008, 10:16 PM
Anyone have a good picture of Lance Moores celebration?

http://i413.photobucket.com/albums/pp213/Whodat123/IMG_0388-1.jpg

SaintUK
28.10.2008, 10:33 PM
That is a really good picture mate! :D

MarkC07
28.10.2008, 10:38 PM
That is a really good picture mate! :D

You should be saying that to Monie :)

zorro37
29.10.2008, 09:01 AM
Mehlhaff, Graham released
Saints have bye week to find kicker, punter
Wednesday, October 29, 2008
By Mike Triplett

The Saints continued their fickle approach to special teams Tuesday, releasing kicker Taylor Mehlhaff and punter Ben Graham, according to league sources.

No replacements have been named, but the Saints have likely will use the bye week to audition candidates.

Well it's pretty much of a waste of a draft pick when he can't even kick PATs. I think most of us even could do that. But you really should have a solid kicker and punter set at camp. John Carney and his 90+% this season is probably laughing at us. We need to sign him up if the Giants release him, or just give Morten a call.

DarrenSQh
29.10.2008, 10:21 AM
Mehlhaff, Graham released
Saints have bye week to find kicker, punter
Wednesday, October 29, 2008
By Mike Triplett

The Saints continued their fickle approach to special teams Tuesday, releasing kicker Taylor Mehlhaff and punter Ben Graham, according to league sources.

No replacements have been named, but the Saints have likely will use the bye week to audition candidates.

Well it's pretty much of a waste of a draft pick when he can't even kick PATs. I think most of us even could do that. But you really should have a solid kicker and punter set at camp. John Carney and his 90+% this season is probably laughing at us. We need to sign him up if the Giants release him, or just give Morten a call.

We really need to get our kicking sorted out. Couldnt believe it when he missed the extra point.

DarrenSQh
30.10.2008, 09:44 PM
New kicker and punter have been hired. Wonder how long these two will last.

http://canadianpress.google.com/article/ALeqM5jqNt38G3vKHpp_uFo4pNKXyTQVlw

he New Orleans Saints have signed free-agent kicker Garrett Hartley and punter Glenn Pakulak, one day after cutting kicker Taylor Mehlhaff and punter Ben Graham.

Mehlhaff, who the Saints drafted last spring but cut after training camp, was brought back to replace injured kicker Martin Gramatica in Week 6. In three games, Mehlhaff was 3-for-4 on field goals and 9-of-10 on extra points.

Graham replaced Steve Weatherford, who was cut after the Saints' loss to Carolina on Oct. 19. Graham's only appearance for the Saints came last Sunday in London. He punted three times, averaging 42 yards.

"We were impressed with both Garrett and Glenn throughout the competitive sessions and we will continue to evaluate the positions closely throughout the remainder of the season," Saints general manager Mickey Loomis said.

Hartley signed as a rookie with the Denver Broncos in April and was released prior to training camp.

The Seattle Seahawks signed Pakulak as a rookie free agent in 2003. He had stints with Pittsburgh, Atlanta, Oakland, Tennessee and Chicago but has not played in a regular season game.

The Saints also signed defensive back Tanard Davis to the practice squad.

diceman18
30.10.2008, 09:47 PM
New kicker and punter have been hired. Wonder how long these two will last.

http://canadianpress.google.com/article/ALeqM5jqNt38G3vKHpp_uFo4pNKXyTQVlw

Until John Carney gets released by the giants. ;)

towen5
30.10.2008, 10:55 PM
Im sure Morten would love to 'retire' a saint

zorro37
03.11.2008, 08:04 PM
Charles Grant to IR!!!

All you can do is laugh now. It is on the official site. But we brought back Hollis. We may just sign KGB and wait until he gets injured. Grant is now getting about 10-15 million dollars in 2 years for 5.5 sacks. He has played well in patches but other times he has been really bad.

And I have seen 2 different reports on the most injured teams and we haven't featured at all. That is too funny.

MarkC07
03.11.2008, 08:09 PM
Charles Grant to IR!!!

All you can do is laugh now. It is on the official site. But we brought back Hollis. We may just sign KGB and wait until he gets injured. Grant is now getting about 10-15 million dollars in 2 years for 5.5 sacks. He has played well in patches but other times he has been really bad.

And I have seen 2 different reports on the most injured teams and we haven't featured at all. That is too funny.

Oh well we're getting more production out of McCray anyway.

But ya big waste of money it seems.

diceman18
03.11.2008, 08:49 PM
Charles Grant to IR!!!

Well i read that hes actually only getting about 700000 this season - even then its not great value. As for the season, we might as well come last to guarantee a playoff berth next year. ;)

MarkC07
10.11.2008, 03:55 PM
Well our season is done. It pains me to watch this defense play. I wouldn't have even though this at the start of the season but I'm actually nervous about Kansas.

We need to fire Gibbs!!

zorro37
10.11.2008, 04:29 PM
Same old Saints.

Easily the toughest team in the NFL to support. So many injuries, bad refereeing calls, incredibly tough losses, and just when you think you know the team inside out and they have got you on a high, they slam you right back down to earth.

I've always been a staunch Payton supporter, but if there are any more horrible blatant displays of misexecution by pretty much every player on the team like last night or Carolina I'm over him. He appears to have lost control of his team. I really hope Shockey kicks into gear right now, because I don't know if I'll be able to stick it when that stud safety or corner falls to our second round pick and the probable NFC champion Giants have it. He has been a complete waste of money.

A few things:
-Gary Gibbs' might have had twice in the last 2 seasons where you could say he called a good game.
-We have oodles of millions, at a guesstimate about $150 million, poured into our front four, and what have we got. Nothing at all. McCray has been good. Ellis has been solid. Smith and Grant are not exerting themselves at all and then laughing all the way to the bank.
-McKenzie is out for the season.
-Can someone go find the '06 Jammal Brown and please allow him to replace this imposter who has completely regressed at left tackle the past 2 years. He must lead the league in holding penalties. And John Abraham was beating him like a drum.
-Our cornerbacks and safeties are the worst group possibly ever assembled. Roman Harper is overrated and the two free safeties must be the worst two in contention for a starting job in the NFL. Randall Gay made a few nice plays, MM has lost a step but is still a good player, now he's gone. A healthy dosage of Jason Craft, David and Aaron Glenn is upcoming.
-On paper our offence is amazing. On the field, sometimes they haven't a clue, besides Deuce, Billy Miller and of course Brees. Billy Miller has been outstanding, the anti Shockey. A blind man could see that when Deuce gets the ball more, we are more successful. And Brees is Brees, who can throw for 400 yards and you wouldn't even notice.

We should be in for some ass whoopings in the next 7 games. I am not even optimistic about the Chiefs and Lions games, that's how bad we were yesterday.

saints242008
10.11.2008, 05:41 PM
Ok, our problem has not been defense, yes i admit it needs a bit more improvement i.e. our secondary!! we get beat regularly that has been the case for a few years. Our Offense is our killer, we dont have a running game as we dont seem to use Duece at all, i know he's getting older but he can still produce. Its nice to have a QB that can pass and score almost every play but it kills our defense. we have the quality on offense for a championship team and the same for the D. Our area for drastic rethink should be our running game, trade reggie bush get in a decent 100 yard rusher and get some picks this way our defense will not be on field as much and will be able to pressure throughout the game. If we run the ball and make a drive last 5 or 6 minutes we can wear down the opposing D and keep their offence off the field, instead of just trying to outscore our opponent.
i reckon this year we shall be finishing 8-8 or around their, possibly 9-7 or 7-9.

stamford8899
16.11.2008, 03:17 PM
Does anyone know a steam where i can watch the Saints Chiefs game as sky aint showing it. Hopefully we can actually win that one

MarkC07
19.11.2008, 05:30 PM
Hey guys, check out the Lance Moore highlight reel I just made :D

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AAjehRvRdpM

Man I love this guy.

stamford8899
20.11.2008, 07:22 PM
Who dat !!!!

DarrenSQh
21.11.2008, 04:20 PM
Whats everyones predictions for MNF against the Packers then.

We have to keep winning to have any chance of sneaking into the playoffs. Will Reggie be back for Monday?

MarkC07
21.11.2008, 06:37 PM
Whats everyones predictions for MNF against the Packers then.

We have to keep winning to have any chance of sneaking into the playoffs. Will Reggie be back for Monday?

Reggie is a full go I think. But I still don't really expect a win here tbh. Our only chance is if we pile up the rush attempts against the 27th ranked run defense.

It may be close but I'm struggling to see how we can win this.

DarrenSQh
25.11.2008, 09:26 AM
Reggie is a full go I think. But I still don't really expect a win here tbh. Our only chance is if we pile up the rush attempts against the 27th ranked run defense.

It may be close but I'm struggling to see how we can win this.

Glad i stayed up for that one. It was a great game for us even without Reggie playing.

Hey guys, check out the Lance Moore highlight reel I just made :D

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AAjehRvRdpM

Man I love this guy.

Some more higlights from Moore last night. He is fast becoming my favourite player. He has such a great attitude.

MarkC07
27.11.2008, 08:53 PM
I can't stop laughing at this

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=50_WmAed7eI :D

DarrenSQh
27.11.2008, 09:07 PM
I can't stop laughing at this

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=50_WmAed7eI :D

Lol. That is great.

SaintNick
28.11.2008, 01:20 PM
The 2nd half against the Packers is the best I've seen us play, seriously.

Maybe the Dallas game was better, but it was pretty damn special.

FanMarino
28.11.2008, 08:07 PM
Great win. Have to say after watching the Saints at Wembley im rooting for them now when i see them on Sky.

SteButt
08.12.2008, 07:58 PM
It ain't over yet fellas, but that game between us and the Bears next week is huge. The winner is still in the hunt at 8-6, the loser is done.

Nice to back, after I finally got the password sorted!

MarkC07
08.12.2008, 08:25 PM
Just worked out or schedule for next year and it ain't pretty!

We have to play the NFC East and the AFC East. The only two easy games should be the Rams and the Lions if we finish last.

SteButt
08.12.2008, 08:32 PM
Just worked out or schedule for next year and it ain't pretty!

We have to play the NFC East and the AFC East. The only two easy games should be the Rams and the Lions if we finish last.

You forgot the Falcons twice ;)

We get New England and New York at home ( so Miami and Buffalo away ). Not sure how it pans out in the NFC - I think we'll be at home to New York and Dallas but couldn't swear to that.

Anyway - we are still in the hunt in the NFC - I actually think this next one in Chicago is the biggest test of the 3, we have struggled against the Bears in recent seasons.

MarkC07
08.12.2008, 08:34 PM
You forgot the Falcons twice ;)

Anyway - we are still in the hunt in the NFC - I actually think this next one in Chicago is the biggest test of the 3, we have struggled against the Bears in recent seasons.

Aye, it's time to make up for the Championship game.

MarkC07
08.12.2008, 10:01 PM
Courtney Roby to IR :( . He was actually doing a pretty good job but obviously this shouldn't impact us too much.

Hut_Hut_Hut
08.12.2008, 10:32 PM
Come on Saints, do me proud next week. Knock those Baars out of the playoff hunt. :D

zorro37
08.12.2008, 10:48 PM
I would like to know what the record for players to IR and injuries in a season are, because we would be pushing it. For those not familiar this is the 16th player from our initial 53 who has hit IR, that is unbelievable and makes the fact that we are still in the playoff hunt so unlikely.

Still PT is going to go to Chicago and beat down on the Bears when the weather gets bad. Forte scares the hell out of me though, and the weather forecast is for the worst cold and precipitation in 2 weeks for Chicago this Thursday.

diceman18
09.12.2008, 09:39 AM
I would like to know what the record for players to IR and injuries in a season are, because we would be pushing it. For those not familiar this is the 16th player from our initial 53 who has hit IR, that is unbelievable and makes the fact that we are still in the playoff hunt so unlikely.

Still PT is going to go to Chicago and beat down on the Bears when the weather gets bad. Forte scares the hell out of me though, and the weather forecast is for the worst cold and precipitation in 2 weeks for Chicago this Thursday.

To be fair, those who have filled in have done an pretty solid job.

Jason David has stepped up his game, Iglu and Hartley has kicked superbly and Jeff Charleston has made an impact. Also, what kind of a boot does Pakulak have?! He is a true beast.

Before the Falcons game, i would have been somewhat doubtful of a win in Chicago, but having seemingly discovered something called the 'running game', especially from the gun (to be honest im still confused by it ;)), i think we've got a solid chance of revenge at Soldier Field.

stamford8899
09.12.2008, 06:59 PM
Agreed, At least we have finally sorted out our Kicking game for next season, Hope that Piere Thomas can keep going forward and add a dimension to our offence. Also in the draft and Free Agency hopefully we can further strengthen our defence.

DarrenSQh
11.12.2008, 09:37 AM
Looking forward to the game tonight. A win would put us with an outside chance of being able to make a wildcard slot.

Anyone know the forecast for the weather in Chicago?

stamford8899
11.12.2008, 11:11 AM
Aint as bad as it could be my friend, Hopefully we can get a win here which still keeps us in the race, and keeps the season interesting!

Saint_in_the_city
11.12.2008, 03:58 PM
I reckon we can do it tonight but the game against Carolina could trip us up. Gotta keep the faith though!

SteButt
11.12.2008, 09:45 PM
This is the game I think we're most likely to lose. I can't over emphasize the importance. If we win, we're 8-6 with Detroit to come, and whilst we could easily be the side to hand the Lions a win, you'd really hope their D would just fail to handle us.

At 9-6, I'd fancy us against Carolina in the Dome. But it's all for nothing if we lose tonight, and a have a bad feeling we'll pass too much, give up on the run, and lose about 24-17. Just a hunch, but the Bears are a team that have done well against us in recent years.

SteButt
12.12.2008, 05:54 AM
And lo, it came to pass. :(

Payton just can't stop passing the ball, and it's getting on my wick.

ClemsonPanther
12.12.2008, 12:44 PM
One down in the south, 2 to go!!!:D

stamford8899
12.12.2008, 03:00 PM
Could there possibly be a more frustatrating team in the league to support?

MarkC07
12.12.2008, 04:08 PM
One down in the south, 2 to go!!!:D

Get out of here you filthy Panther.

stamford8899
12.12.2008, 04:44 PM
Need to draft some defence...

SteButt
12.12.2008, 04:46 PM
Need to draft some defence...

Indeed. But I can't help but wonder if we put more faith in the running game we might have been better than 7-7.

stamford8899
12.12.2008, 04:48 PM
True, also think a lot of it comes down to not winning in clutch key situations. Broncos,Bucs,Bears etc

stamford8899
12.12.2008, 05:06 PM
Oh and um JASON DAVID FOR MVP!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! lollolololl

zorro37
12.12.2008, 05:25 PM
I for one think that it is incredibly fitting that our season ended on a big defensive play by Ellis that if we had not made we would have won the game. The sack ended the play and the Bears got the time out. If we had let Orton throw and batted it down time had expired and the game was over.

I think it is absolutely true that we are the hardest team to support in the league. We are an amazing team when we play well, and tease you to keep coming back for more, then let you right back down again. Just as you feel you know the team inside out they return with an absolutely glorious performance and you realise you haven't a clue about them. Sprinkled in all the while are injuries and suspensions, far more than any other team in the league. Also we are a pass happy offence, with a rhythm QB, who when in his groove, is by far the best QB in the game, but when knocked off it by a few picks, will let you down when you really need it. This makes us even more frustrating.
It hurts to say that as Drew is such a great leader and player but the facts speak for themselves, he can't be relied upon to win you games deep in the fourth quarter which is the sign of a truly great QB like Brady or Manning.

I don't know if any team has ever gone through a season with such mediocrity as we have, 1-1, 2-2, 3-3, 4-4 etc. then now 7-7. Surely we will finish 8-8 and finish with a top 15 pick who will likely not have much of an impact.

Still there are great positives to take from this season. Obviously we played in London and all us fans got to see our team in action and on form. Porter looks to be the future and Gay has been solid. We have won easily at home, something we have not done well in recent years. At the end of the season it appears we have found our balanced gameplan and 20 carry a game running back. Carl Nicks is as beastly an interior lineman as there is in the game. But our defence still sucks balls after so many millions and draftpicks spend upgrading it.

And that is why I am so depressed writing this as we will likely end up the same next year unless we are incredibly aggressive in FA and the draft. We have to go out and spend like the best of them on players like Haynesworth and Asomogha, and we will have 3 or 4 draft picks and there are no excuses, we must make them count and get 4 immediate contributors. And 2 of them must be safeties as Roman Harper, KK and Josh 'bollocks' Bullocks need all be cut. Sorry about the venting.

tyke87
12.12.2008, 05:29 PM
The thing i don't understand when i watch the Saints is that they play like they don't want to win sometimes. I don't mean their attitudes or anything like that i mean the plays they seem to run sometimes look like they're trying to gamble when it's not needed and Drew Brees one of the best QB's in the league seems to make some stupid throws at the worst possible times. As for offensive excitment goes though you're a very good team to watch

stamford8899
12.12.2008, 05:34 PM
Safteys need a complete upgrade

MarkC07
12.12.2008, 05:35 PM
I for one think that it is incredibly fitting that our season ended on a big defensive play by Ellis that if we had not made we would have won the game. The sack ended the play and the Bears got the time out. If we had let Orton throw and batted it down time had expired and the game was over.

That is incredibly harsh IMO. It could have as easily been got for a TD and then we wouldn't have had a OT. Besides he wasn't far outside the endzone there would probably have been time left even if it got batted down.

The only thing I can blame Ellis for is not holding on for two seconds longer.

zorro37
12.12.2008, 05:50 PM
That is incredibly harsh IMO. It could have as easily been got for a TD and then we wouldn't have had a OT. Besides he wasn't far outside the endzone there would probably have been time left even if it got batted down.

The only thing I can blame Ellis for is not holding on for two seconds longer.
I am not blaming Ellis for that at all he was just doing his job of sacking the QB and had no idea of the game clock. I think though that with the pressure in Orton's face and all his receivers covered he wouldn't have been able to pull the trigger on the throw though.

And again about that play remember earlier in the season, I think the Raiders game, when the last play of the half ended with 0:02 left, Brees and Payton had the timeout sign up straight away. The officials just let the clock run down and didn't call it, Payton was fuming IIRC. Exact same situation this morning and as soon as Orton hit the ground the clock was stopped.

Chris Hermitage
12.12.2008, 06:39 PM
I dont understand why Payton insists on toss running plays to the outside on 3rd and 1 and 4th and 1. Surely just give the ball to Deuce or Karney and power up the middle to get the 1st.

Oh well there is always next year

SteButt
12.12.2008, 07:38 PM
Before I look at the content of the posts, can I just say that we are really not the hardest team to support. Give me the Saints over the Rams, Raiders, Lions or Bengals any day.