PDA

View Full Version : The current mood in the nation's capital.

Riggo
16.05.2010, 01:00 AM
Redskin wise anyway it seems to be kind of a daze. Allen and Shanny have moved so many bodies in and out I think the general temperature of the average 'Skins fan here is that we have no idea who is still on the roster.

Most people I've spoken with are taking a wait until the dust settles before training camp attitude.

There's a lot of faith in those guys

The_Hangman
16.05.2010, 12:13 PM
It's funny, because we have probably more reason to get excited this year as any other, but let downs of past seasons has tempered people's opinions somewhat.

I'm quietly optimistic.

my_friend_goo
16.05.2010, 05:19 PM
I'm quietly optimistic.

Seconded. The likelihood is that the new setup will produce good results, the question is when. I don't want to raise too many expectations at this stage, but all the same I can't wait for the season to start and see how this will pan out.

Harwich Hog
17.05.2010, 02:19 PM
Personally I think the NFC East is going to be quite poor this year and we'll win the division with 10-6 ;)

boltonredskin
17.05.2010, 08:23 PM
I wouldn't start making too many predictions at this stage but I feel this thread's mood of general optimism is justified.

I'm encouraged by people waiting to see how things pan out before making too many comments. The new regime will need time to bed in and get the Skins playing how they want to, and the fact that people are willing to give them that is heartening. There's no point getting the knives out ready and waiting if things don't go to plan in the first three weeks of the season.

So I'm looking forward, but not hoping for too much too soon.

JD for breakfast
19.05.2010, 04:30 PM
I think every Skins fan is looking at this the same way. There's far too many changes happening, from the FO down to the practise squad, to get any kind of read on how successful we will or won't be. All the noises being made are positive but that happens every pre-season.

Personally I think we finally have the right guys calling the shots on and off the field so there's every reason to be optimistic. A little blind faith never hurt anyone did it?

skinsfan.uk
02.06.2010, 11:54 AM
I'm optimistic for the coming few seasons, next year will be another struggle but 8-8 is not too much to aim for IMO. The Eagles are a lot weaker with Kolb and with Mcnabb I just don't see us going 0-6 in the division again. We all lived through and survived the Vinny Cerrato era and that won't be an easy fix.

Riggo
01.07.2010, 01:01 AM
Current mood:

Nobody likes fat albert, and suddenly everyone is interested in baseball (at least every 5 days or so)

Harwich Hog
01.07.2010, 11:57 AM
Current mood:

Nobody likes fat albert, and suddenly everyone is interested in baseball (at least every 5 days or so)

Is that because of the Strasbourg kid?

Are we also going to see the Wizards competing again with John Wall?

Exciting times for DC sports.

wuds100
02.07.2010, 01:33 AM
Is that because of the Strasbourg kid?

Are we also going to see the Wizards competing again with John Wall?

Exciting times for DC sports.

I'm a big Wizards fan and like everybody else I am hoping he will be the
resurrection of the franchise.

Riggo
10.07.2010, 06:25 PM
The optimism is picking up. Training camp is just a few weeks away. Everyone seems to have forgotten the Redskins were 4-12.

With the world cup winding down sports fans are admitting they've had enough soccer (a month of it every 4 years is enough thank you) and a yearning for those first pre-season games.

Riggo
18.07.2010, 01:50 PM
This is the time of year when all American sportscasters have to take their vacation.

If they have a family it has to be summer, and after the NBA playoffs, and after baseball's All Star game.

And they have to be back for the start of NFL training camp.

Thus any sports radio station you turn to seems to have nothing but back up voices at work. The guy with the late night show is suddenly getting his big chance for the morning drive.

my_friend_goo
18.07.2010, 04:41 PM
Tell me about it. The lack of skins news on the web is frustrating. Bring on camp, bring on the 2010 campaign!

pj
18.07.2010, 05:47 PM
Tell me about it. The lack of skins news on the web is frustrating. Bring on camp, bring on the 2010 campaign!

Heres a little something to feel good about.

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2010/07/18/redskins-receivers-to-join-donovan-mcnabb-for-hell-week/

boltonredskin
20.07.2010, 08:02 AM
Sounds like an excellent idea to me, and can only help the offense.

Al30
21.07.2010, 12:35 PM
Sounds like an excellent idea to me, and can only help the offense.

I agree completely - anything that gets them playing like they've met each other before has to be a step forward!

Manly Dexter
28.07.2010, 11:43 PM

i like that there's little news (other than Fat Al) on the web ... suggests that this time the team and management are taking this coming season seriously for once

Riggo
30.07.2010, 01:57 AM
Finally, things are happening.
But the focus is all on Fat Albert, and amazingly McNabb is being ignored.

my_friend_goo
30.07.2010, 06:32 PM
Finally, things are happening.
But the focus is all on Fat Albert, and amazingly McNabb is being ignored.

How long before Haynesworth passes his physical? Otherwise, how much longer will Shanahan try to humiliate him before one of them gives in?

Smograider
30.07.2010, 06:44 PM
How long before Haynesworth passes his physical? Otherwise, how much longer will Shanahan try to humiliate him before one of them gives in?

I think it will be Haynesworth that gives in - Shanahan stikes me as a stubborn S.O.B. ;)

Riggo
30.07.2010, 07:15 PM
Fat Albert is proving divisive. Some folks think he's being single out for humiliation, others point out that several other guys at 350+ passed the conditioning test.

my_friend_goo
31.07.2010, 08:37 PM
Fat Albert is proving divisive. Some folks think he's being single out for humiliation, others point out that several other guys at 350+ passed the conditioning test.

300 yards is approximately 280 metres. We've surely all done 200-metre sprints in out time. I wouldn't go as far as to call it easy - the fat kids at school certainly struggled, but Albert is supposedly a professional athlete. Look at it another way - he has to run at not quite a sprint for 70-75 seconds. A few ex-players and even Jeff Fisher have piped up and said this test is fairly standard. Might be a tough challenge, but he should be able to do it, no excuses.

Riggo
04.08.2010, 01:47 AM
300 yards is approximately 280 metres. We've surely all done 200-metre sprints in out time. I wouldn't go as far as to call it easy - the fat kids at school certainly struggled, but Albert is supposedly a professional athlete. Look at it another way - he has to run at not quite a sprint for 70-75 seconds. A few ex-players and even Jeff Fisher have piped up and said this test is fairly standard. Might be a tough challenge, but he should be able to do it, no excuses.

Mike Golic, 47 years old retired NFL lineman and still fat, and now a radio announcer for ESPN was so disgusted with Fat Albert that on a dare he borrowed some sneakers, went into a nearby field with ankle deep grass and with no preparation (he's been retired for 16 years) went out and passed the conditioning test.

Riggo
04.08.2010, 01:48 AM
Every waking moment on locals sports stations is spent discussing Fat Albert.

Seemingly every question for Shanahan is about Fat Albert.

Enough!

skinsfan.uk
04.08.2010, 08:14 AM
This stand off between Haynesworth and Shannahan is a divisive issue for the Skins. It is becoming petty, Shannahan has made his point, Haynesworth will feel that he has as well with his supposed injured knee keeping him from running it 3 days in a row. Time to get him on the field and see if he is willing to work in our new 3-4. If he is not we need to trade him out for whatever we can get.

fyodor dostoevsky
04.08.2010, 08:47 AM
I saw the Golic test and just watching him you can see that for a 47 year old he is doing what a guy at that age would do - just a steady jog maintaining the same pace throughout. He even slows down now and again as he comes up to turn and go the other way. Yes, he is tired at the end but it really puts in to perspective where a $20m professional 'athlete' is with this test. No wonder the skins are on his back.

I thik his whole attitude is also something to do with it and of cours he now claims he has a sore knee, like a kid skiving of P.E.!

You can watch the Golic test here:

http://espn.go.com/video/clip?id=5431961

I havent been on this forum in ages - the season must be staring soon! :) spent most of my time at Extreme Skins (for the unknowing, thats a Washington Redskins forum and not....:eek: :D )

Riggo
13.08.2010, 09:31 PM
The optimism is sky high (as usual).

I was listening to Sirius NFL radio earlier in the week and Jim Miller picked the skins to win the division going 11-5. I thought it a bit over the top but hey, he's paid to give his opinions.

Everybody wants to see McNabb and Shanahan's offense. I was just at a nearby pub and skins fans are really jazzed up for the game.

As one local announcer put it, it Zorn and Snyder were still around nobody would care the game tonight. But everyone is giddy about the new team.

I have to include myself in this group of naively optimistic fools.

Riggo
13.08.2010, 11:47 PM
And as I look the stadium seems empty....the fools!

But the skins O looked like last years on the first possesion.

...and now the redskins defense is looking just like it did at the end of last year i.e. don't know how to tackle.

shheesh....bills offense is kicking the defense's ass acrosss the field.

It was noted that the skins were having a very non physical camp this year, and boy is it showing.

G_Redskin
14.08.2010, 07:33 PM
Well now Shanny & Co have Game time tape on the players to go on.

Im excited about the attitude coming from both the Players & Coaches. It sure is a breath of fresh air for the Redskins.

Riggo
14.08.2010, 08:59 PM
And as I look the stadium seems empty....the fools!

But the skins O looked like last years on the first possesion.

...and now the redskins defense is looking just like it did at the end of last year i.e. don't know how to tackle.

shheesh....bills offense is kicking the defense's ass acrosss the field.

It was noted that the skins were having a very non physical camp this year, and boy is it showing.

Obviously I wrote that int he first quarter.

I now predict an insane optimism among radio callers next week that has the redskins going a perfect 19-0.

my_friend_goo
14.08.2010, 09:15 PM
Obviously I wrote that int he first quarter.

I now predict an insane optimism among radio callers next week that has the redskins going a perfect 19-0.

Yeah, I thought the same when I pulled up the WaPo site today and saw the scoreline! One preseason game means nothing in the grand scheme of things (Spurrier was the preseason champ, but he did work too hard for it!). If this provides a springboard for a constantly improving team, then great. The most important thing to me is without doing a Spurrier, they scored points and plenty of them. Granted, most of them came with the back-ups, but the starters didn't have too long to shine. But show this ability to move the ball and score some throughout the preseason and I'll have a bit more optimism for this season - in Zorn's era and the worst Gibbs seasons, the starters couldn't and it carried thorugh.

andy32uk
15.08.2010, 09:40 AM
Lets hope the bills game wasnt the season highlight reel :)

fyodor dostoevsky
15.08.2010, 06:10 PM
I saw a wee bit of the game before heading off to bed and I have to say the Bills looked awful at times. Still, a good win but I expect Baltimore to give a better level of opponent this week.

skinsfan.uk
16.08.2010, 08:18 PM
The Ravens will surely be tougher opposition than the Bills who did look poor. Should be a good test for Williams at LT who looked the part. Beck needs a decent showing against his old team to start convincing Shannahan to carry 3QBs.

my_friend_goo
17.08.2010, 08:38 PM
I'll be interested to see how Andre Carter and Lorenzo Alexander fare. Seems that there's a bit of concern about the OLBs in the D following the Bills game.

Riggo
18.08.2010, 11:01 PM
I'll be interested to see how Andre Carter and Lorenzo Alexander fare. Seems that there's a bit of concern about the OLBs in the D following the Bills game.

The chat about town is often turns to the choice of the 3-4 over a 4-3.

Last week Haslett was on the tv talking about how a 3-4 was a great fit for this talent base and saw it "from the beginning." However, it was predicated on Fat Albert eagerly playing nose tackle, and moves like Carter and Alexander playing well at LB positions. Well now we know Fatso doesn't want to play NT, and who knows how those DEs convert. Time will tell.

Redskins played 4-3 in the nearly 40 years I've been following them so I don't trust a 3-4.

Harwich Hog
19.08.2010, 11:32 AM
I don't believe the 3-4 shift was down to personnel at all. How can you say that when only 3 of the front 7 from 2009 remain as starters on the current depth chart. I think it just lends itself to greater creativity defensively than the 4-3 does, something Haslett likes.

Orakpo skills suit a 4-3DE most of all. That he (no doubt) will thrive as 3-4OLB is more testament to the player's ability to adapt rather than Haslett's ability to find the best system for the personnel.

I don't mind the 3-4 though. I don't subscribe to the belief (of some) that London Fletcher will struggle in it. I think he will thrive and I think it will prolong his career.

I'm also excited to see what Riley can do and i'm looking forward to Spanos turning him into Larry Foote or James Harrison (fingers crossed :D).

Riggo
19.08.2010, 10:31 PM
I don't believe the 3-4 shift was down to personnel at all. How can you say that when only 3 of the front 7 from 2009 remain as starters on the current depth chart. I think it just lends itself to greater creativity defensively than the 4-3 does, something Haslett likes.

I didn't say it, the defensive coordinator the redskins said it.

Harwich Hog
20.08.2010, 12:19 PM
I didn't say it, the defensive coordinator the redskins said it.

Apologies. I was going for the vague "you" (anyone) rather than you specifically Riggo ;)

my_friend_goo
22.08.2010, 10:52 AM
As I had anticipated (although I don't think it's recorded anywhere, so I'm not claiming genius here or anything) last night was the return to reality skins fans needed. Still, it was only a 20 point game, so an improvement over last season :)

Asides from the Moore injury, I'm not majorly concerned about anything that happened last night. There are some positives to take from it as well as the obvious negatives. The rushing attack was below even anaemic, but I suspect Larry J still makes the team and does better than last night's outing would suggest. Seems as though the highly respected Ravens D outplayed our O-line which makes for a good learning experience and I certainly don't expect the same for 16 regular season games.

So far, the preseason could be a good indicator for the season - up and down. Some moments of ecstatic triumph, some of frustration. I'm kind of expecting an even mix.

Riggo
22.08.2010, 04:37 PM
I had family obligations last night so I'm just watching my recording of the skins ravens game now.

I was impressed with the one drive by the skins, even though it ended in a field goal. It was enough to make me say "ok, seen enough, rest the starters."

G_Redskin
22.08.2010, 07:39 PM
So far, the preseason could be a good indicator for the season - up and down. Some moments of ecstatic triumph, some of frustration. I'm kind of expecting an even mix.

I agree this season wont be plain sailing but we will have some good times along the way.

As Redskins Fans we are in for exciting times ahead of us. It will take time for Shanny & Co to turn around the Franchise though, I just hope people dont expect miracles from the getgo, remember we were/are still hampered from the previous years of neglect and mis management.....

HTTR.

skinsfan.uk
22.08.2010, 09:40 PM
Hearing that Kareem Moore could be out for up to 6 weeks? Not good as we only have 1 FS. Doughty may have to play there in the early part of the season now.

G_Redskin
23.08.2010, 07:13 AM
Kareem Moores injury isnt what we need with little in the way of backup at FS I just hope we keep Landry at SS and dont try to use him at FS....

Either Reed Doughty or Chris Horton need to step in there and step their play up. Our secondry was always going to be thread bare but (and maybe the weak lind in our D) we cant afford injuries with a lack of qualaty backups.

Heres to a speedy & full recovery for Kareem.

my_friend_goo
23.08.2010, 07:12 PM
Doesn't look like they plan to move ol' LaRon:

http://voices.washingtonpost.com/redskinsinsider/kareem-moore/redskins-sign-tyrone-carter-to.html

doesn't look like they trust anybody else to play free safety either. So, if Carter makes the roster, does that mean only room for one of Doughty/Horton? Or do they go with 5 guys? I am of course ruling out Lendy Holmes and any other no-name guys.

Riggo
23.08.2010, 10:36 PM
Doesn't look like they plan to move ol' LaRon:

http://voices.washingtonpost.com/redskinsinsider/kareem-moore/redskins-sign-tyrone-carter-to.html

doesn't look like they trust anybody else to play free safety either. So, if Carter makes the roster, does that mean only room for one of Doughty/Horton? Or do they go with 5 guys? I am of course ruling out Lendy Holmes and any other no-name guys.

Doc Walker was speculating today the redskins will need to grab 3 defensive guys from the waiver wires before the opener.

skinsfan.uk
24.08.2010, 11:06 AM
Doc Walker was speculating today the redskins will need to grab 3 defensive guys from the waiver wires before the opener.

Interesting - any speculation as to what positions we will be looking to shore up? I assume if a decent FS becomes available we will look to snap them up, LB depth could be an issue as well with Draft being released and Carter looking shaky making the transition. Carter looks to be a solid signing but he will be Landry's back up with Doughty and Horton moving to FS.

Riggo
13.09.2010, 11:14 PM
People are high as a kite about his game.

I think productivity around the area must have sky rocketed as every reported to work happy happy happy

fyodor dostoevsky
14.09.2010, 10:36 AM
People are high as a kite about his game.

I think productivity around the area must have sky rocketed as every reported to work happy happy happy

I'm still scratching my head over this game. There is no doubt Dallas blew it with about every version of penalty you can think of whilst our D (again) played hard and kept us in it. Not for the first time Moss made some good plays and blew some others (a big 3rd down drop in the 4th that would have kept things going and probably killed the game). I felt the line blocked well on pass protection but still had a bunch of three and outs. Our run game is still not firing, very sporadic.

The TD at the end of the first half - even before the snap I was looking at their field position, time left and thinking they arent really going for this are they? bizarre decision. Wouldnt like to be the offensive coordinator having to explain that play on Monday morning.

We won a game against a team that apparently we have failed to score an offensive TD against in something like 14 quarters! WTF?! horrible stat.

Houston next week - a team apparently on the upward curve. I will hold my assessment until after that I think.

hmm, just a thought...Moss with some catches/drops, Cooley making some plays, Portis a bit of running here and there, the D playing had to keep us in it, QB missed passes, 3 and outs, blown goal line opportunity and a missed FG.....last season anyone?!!! its like groundhog day!

we shall see

JD for breakfast
14.09.2010, 03:02 PM
hmm, just a thought...Moss with some catches/drops, Cooley making some plays, Portis a bit of running here and there, the D playing hard to keep us in it, QB missed passes, 3 and outs, blown goal line opportunity and a missed FG.....last season anyone?!!! its like groundhog day!

we shall see

I think last season we'd have found a way to lose that game

Riggo
14.09.2010, 10:40 PM
It is more than just the win, it is the sense that things are better long term.

fyodor dostoevsky
15.09.2010, 07:25 AM
I think last season we'd have found a way to lose that game

we did, barring a flag on Dullass on 4th and goal (although I think Orakpo would have blown that play up if he hadnt been held).

I agree with Riggo though that we seem to have made some good drafts and could have a real future now.

Harwich Hog
15.09.2010, 02:57 PM
There was a link on Extremeskins where a guy was saying how much he hated Alex Barron because of that last play :D

The crux of the article was that Alex Barron effectively deprived the Redskins of a proper victory against Dallas instead simply handing Dallas a defeat and the Redskins a wayout. He also deprived Orakpo of the most important sack in his young career.

Perhaps slightly heavy but pretty much summed up how I felt about it. Orakpo would have had 2-3 sacks if it weren't for Alex Barron's holds and perhaps 1-2 more if it wasn't for Romo's (to give him some credit) freaky elusion.

I have complete faith in Kyle getting the offence right and i'm convinced that he knows what it takes to unlock Houston.

So the mood in Harwich is buzzing :D

my_friend_goo
15.09.2010, 05:15 PM
My take on Sunday's game:

- Donovan McNabb handled the pressure much better than Jason Campbell would've, moving around in the pocket and likely taking fewer sacks. Completion % aside, this was encouraging
- Trent Williams played well against Ware as a rookie and only gave up as many sacks as Chris Samuels would've
- Casey Rabach gets pushed around too much, although maybe only by 3-4 NTs
- Saw a few too many penetrations into the Redskins backfield by Cowboys D-lineman
- Conversley, too few penetrations into the Cowboys backfield by Redskins D-lineman, Kemoeatu particularly being pushed around
- Less of those kooky 1- and 2- man fronts against Houston or else Arian Foster may have a field day - the run D struggled a bit as it was
- Too many completions allowed, especially to Miles Austin, can't allow that
- Fred Davis and Anthony Armstrong weren't used effectively (two fades to an undersized receiver?)
- At times, it looked a bit too much like what we've been used to over at least the last six years, but this time I have faith the offense can be fixed
- The starting offense hasn't scored a TD since the Buffalo game
- Although facing the defenses of Dallas, Baltimore and the Jets, I'm itching to see what they can do against weaker teams

The_Hangman
17.09.2010, 06:43 PM
http://www.footballoutsiders.com/word-muth/2010/word-muth

Fantastic analysis of the 'skins O Line play.

Riggo
20.09.2010, 11:22 PM
I think most most folks took something positive away from the Houston game, despite the gut wrenching OT, could have sealed it away 5 times, loss.

But the two serious questions remain about pass coverage and the running game.

And nobody likes Larry Johnson with the ridiculous drive killing huge loss he took on a play that should have just been limited to on -2 or -3 yards.

The take on Doughty, who gave up the 4th and 10 TD pass, is that he tries hard but just doesn't have the talent

JD for breakfast
21.09.2010, 03:20 PM
I wouldn't be too hard on Doughty for giving up that touchdown. He shouldn't have been left one-on-one against Andre Johnson in the first place. Why was a back-up safety being asked to cover one of the top recievers in the game in the end zone? Blown coverage or bad play call if you ask me

Riggo
30.09.2010, 12:48 AM
The mood is now "nothing's changed, the team sucks, it is all Snyder's and Cerrato's fault"

The_Hangman
30.09.2010, 08:45 AM
Is Haslett getting a pass, then?

I thought he called a terrible game against the Rams.

my_friend_goo
30.09.2010, 12:22 PM
The mood is now "nothing's changed, the team sucks, it is all Snyder's and Cerrato's fault"

Which in turn is the fault of the instant-fix/quick-result lifestyles we've come to lead. Too many people wants what they want NOW and aren't prepared to wait for it.

I'm going to hold off assassinating the coaching staff just yet and leave that for a time (god forbid it should happen) that they've failed consistently and such treatment is deserved (and those "told-you-so's" can p-off because they really didn't know any better). Shanahan and Allen had a considerable amount of work to do that can't be fixed over a single offseason.

I'd consider the most pressing needs from what I've seen so far to be two interior lineman (1 x C, 1 x G), a genuine 3-4 nose tackle (and possibly another DE) and a genuine OLB to complement Orakpo. A threat at WR is important, but perhaps not so much as the lineman. A QB and RB of the future need to be considered, but not at the expense of those primary targets. FS and O-line depth too.

Of course, as the season progresses, these needs may change as players step up, but I think the run game needs a big boost from some Shanahan-style linemen. Much has been said of the failure to get draft picks onto the roster, but if I remember rightly, only Dennis Morris was outright dropped and the remaining picks stay on the practice squad. Assuming this remains the same, they'll have the chance to develop in the offseason and if even one of them gets considerable playing time the following two seasons, the early draft assessment will change. Shanahan and Allen are going to have to play the next two drafts and free agency periods very well if not flawlessly to make this team a consistent contender, though.

Britskin
30.09.2010, 10:01 PM
Which in turn is the fault of the instant-fix/quick-result lifestyles we've come to lead. Too many people wants what they want NOW and aren't prepared to wait for it.

I'm going to hold off assassinating the coaching staff just yet and leave that for a time (god forbid it should happen) that they've failed consistently and such treatment is deserved (and those "told-you-so's" can p-off because they really didn't know any better). Shanahan and Allen had a considerable amount of work to do that can't be fixed over a single offseason.

I'd consider the most pressing needs from what I've seen so far to be two interior lineman (1 x C, 1 x G), a genuine 3-4 nose tackle (and possibly another DE) and a genuine OLB to complement Orakpo. A threat at WR is important, but perhaps not so much as the lineman. A QB and RB of the future need to be considered, but not at the expense of those primary targets. FS and O-line depth too.

Of course, as the season progresses, these needs may change as players step up, but I think the run game needs a big boost from some Shanahan-style linemen. Much has been said of the failure to get draft picks onto the roster, but if I remember rightly, only Dennis Morris was outright dropped and the remaining picks stay on the practice squad. Assuming this remains the same, they'll have the chance to develop in the offseason and if even one of them gets considerable playing time the following two seasons, the early draft assessment will change. Shanahan and Allen are going to have to play the next two drafts and free agency periods very well if not flawlessly to make this team a consistent contender, though.

Snyder has been no good for the Redskins imo. He has no patience and has always gone for the quick fixes.

On another point we have been making the same mistakes for years now eg. false starts and delay of game in key third down situations. We have been relying on 1 or 2 people like Moss and Cooley and it does not seem any different this season.