PDA

View Full Version : Jammal Brown traded on to roster

liverbirdpie
20.06.2010, 07:59 AM
http://www.nfl.com/news/story?id=09000d5d818bda7e&template=with-video-with-comments&confirm=true

How Cheap?? Conditional draft pick (which ever pick between 3rd and 4th that doesnt go to Eagles for McNabb goes to New Orleans for Brown, plus a late 2012 round pick)

Extremely good value trade for me, I know he missed last season through injury but I'm sure his physical would have been thorough

JD for breakfast
20.06.2010, 12:48 PM
Looks like a bargain on paper but do the Saints know something we don't? I wouldn't imagine they'd let a two-time Pro-Bowler leave for so little unless there's something amiss with him. Mind you, Bushrod didn't do badly filling in for him last season so mybe he's just surplus to requirements for them. Strengthens our O-line no end though. Maybe Trent Williams will go to RT now? A lot less pressure on a rookie

liverbirdpie
20.06.2010, 03:02 PM
I think Bushrod is the reason they have let him go, the Saints wouldn't negotiate a contract with someone who wants starters money but is depth on their roster, and no doubt the fact he was injured last season weighed on their minds.

One thing that the new front office seem to be doing, is picking up some great players cheaply, but a lot are coming off injuries. Carricker, Kemoeatu, Brown for example. Thing is if these guys click, you just dont know what the side is capable of. From being a weakness, the line has been rebuilt well, it could do with some depth still dont get me wrong, but the work that has been done in rebuilding this roster by Shanahan and Allen is fantastic.

McNabb is an upgrade on what they inherited at a cheap price
Brown is a needed addition at a cheap price
Carricker is a good addition (if he gets and stays healthy) that cost nothing but a few spots on the draft
Galloway could give exellent experience at receiver
Depth and competition for place at Running Back
I like the look of Terrence Austin too, think he could be a good addition at Punt/Kick return to start with and also see how he develops as a wide out

wuds100
20.06.2010, 04:29 PM
Good value for a starting LT but a definite sign after the McNabb
trade that rebuilding through the draft will be sacrificed like the previous
Allen era.

JD for breakfast
20.06.2010, 08:43 PM
Good value for a starting LT but a definite sign after the McNabb
trade that rebuilding through the draft will be sacrificed like the previous
Allen era.

I wouldn't go that far. A new head coach with a pretty much entirely new coaching staff is destined to bring changes to the roster. Shanahan is addressing the problems that the previous administration left behind on the playing staff. You can't rebuild a roster in one off-season solely through the draft, especially when you're changing the entire defensive scheme. The pieces being put in place will largely be here for a while (veteran WR's aside) so I'm willing to give Shanahan and Bruce Allen the benefit of the doubt for now

wuds100
21.06.2010, 05:57 AM
I wouldn't go that far. A new head coach with a pretty much entirely new coaching staff is destined to bring changes to the roster. Shanahan is addressing the problems that the previous administration left behind on the playing staff. You can't rebuild a roster in one off-season solely through the draft, especially when you're changing the entire defensive scheme. The pieces being put in place will largely be here for a while (veteran WR's aside) so I'm willing to give Shanahan and Bruce Allen the benefit of the doubt for now

Maybe I am blowing things up a bit quickly and of course Fat Al looks likely
to bring a pick so it might not look too bad but my primary concern is the
lack of numbers we will be drafting in the top 3 rounds for the 3rd year in a row,
I am 100% more optimistic about things now than I was this time last year
I just hope the draft is our main source for players in the coming years.

boltonredskin
25.06.2010, 06:59 AM
Maybe I am blowing things up a bit quickly and of course Fat Al looks likely
to bring a pick so it might not look too bad but my primary concern is the
lack of numbers we will be drafting in the top 3 rounds for the 3rd year in a row,
I am 100% more optimistic about things now than I was this time last year
I just hope the draft is our main source for players in the coming years.

That would certainly be nice but, with the hype that inevitably flies around top college prospects these days, a lot of them are failing to come up to the mark and perhaps a lack of picks in the first 3 rounds isn't all that much of a disaster. The main NFLUK forum has an article analysing the 2007 draft class, if you haven't seen it already, and I was particularly struck by how many busts came in the first couple of rounds that year, and how many good, solid players have made themselves starters coming out of the second day of the draft. It would be interesting to see whether that trend has continued in the drafts since 2007 (though of course it may also be too early to say).