PDA

View Full Version : running the ball

fyodor dostoevsky
29.08.2010, 05:01 PM
anyone remember this? we used to pride ourselves on it. Either the new coaching staff is so happy with the state of our run game that they arent bothering to go with it in pre-season or we are going to be a pass-happy offense.

The latest game with the Jets was much the same with some good passing mixed in with erratic throws and pretty minimal run game. This was allegedly the game to give the likes of Parker a run with the ball. Given how it developed they probably shouldnt have bothered. Of course we are dealing with a coach that traded Portis.

boltonredskin
29.08.2010, 05:48 PM
I think it's more likely to be the case that the coaching staff don't feel the need to over-run the ground game in pre-season, which to my mind makes sense. Given the massive upheavals at QB over the close season, it was always going to be the case that we would run a lot of passing in the pre-season games, as our receivers and QBs need to get used to each other in game situations.

Plus, most of the RB's we will be relying on are now seasoned veterans, and Portis particularly has a history of injury problems, and I don't think we need to be playing them too much at this stage. I'm quite happy with those guys resting up a little and just playing a bit here and there through the pre-season.

So no, I don't think we've forgotten the ground game, but I don't think we will be as reliant on it as we have been the last couple of years. At least I hope not, the Skins have been far too one-dimensional on offense for too much of the last 2 or 3 seasons. I hope to see an offense with a much better balance between running and passing this year.

Riggo
29.08.2010, 11:31 PM
I think it's more likely to be the case that the coaching staff don't feel the need to over-run the ground game in pre-season, which to my mind makes sense. Given the massive upheavals at QB over the close season, it was always going to be the case that we would run a lot of passing in the pre-season games, as our receivers and QBs need to get used to each other in game situations.

Plus, most of the RB's we will be relying on are now seasoned veterans, and Portis particularly has a history of injury problems, and I don't think we need to be playing them too much at this stage. I'm quite happy with those guys resting up a little and just playing a bit here and there through the pre-season.

So no, I don't think we've forgotten the ground game, but I don't think we will be as reliant on it as we have been the last couple of years. At least I hope not, the Skins have been far too one-dimensional on offense for too much of the last 2 or 3 seasons. I hope to see an offense with a much better balance between running and passing this year.

It looks a bit alarming, but if anybody on this planet is committed to establishing the run it is Shanahan.

G_Redskin
02.09.2010, 10:54 AM
Pre season is just that pre season, Shanny is sorting through the players & building our team. Also I dont think we are showing all our cards before the Season starter, as per usual its quite Vanilla at the moment with the main objective of finding out what weve got before the final Rosta cuts.

JD for breakfast
10.09.2010, 10:05 PM
I'm not too concerned at this point. The running game needs far less rehearsal in pre-season than the passing game. Run plays should be pretty much automatic to the offense coming out of training camp. A pass requires rhythm and timing between the QB and both his pocket and his recievers. A case in point was the Vikings passing display last night against the Saints