PDA

View Full Version : Theisman's Memory lapse

Riggo
29.08.2010, 11:54 PM
In the the miserable preseason game against the Jets the other night, the score went to 9-5, fairly unusual scoreline in the NFL.

Thiesman was doing the broadcast and brings up that was final score in a game in 1978 and starts going into detail.

Anyone redskin fan from back then (I was 12 yo at the time) remembers the game vividly. It was a Monday nighter against the cowboys. Howard Cosell was in the booth and I can still here is voice.

The skins were 4-0 going into the game, the cowboys 3-1. The buildup to the game was the talk of the town, even little kids were allowed to stay up until midnight to see the finish.

The game was grueling to watch, in those days the cowboys seemed unstoppable and no lead was safe. Somehow the skins kept stopping Staubach and Dorset, how was the defense doing it? Finally they had the game wrapped up with Redskins leading 9-3, with the ball and one play left in the game and skins fans were celebrating.

Joe Theisman only has to take the snap and run out the final 6 seconds. But what does this asshole do? He hold the ball up in the air celebrating and back pedals towards the end zone waving the ball around celebrating. The cowboys hit him hard, cause and fumble and Theisman was lucky, very very lucky to have recovered the ball in the end zone to give the cowboys a safety and Redskins a victory instead of giving them a game winning touchdown.

Joe leaves that part out of the story, and he also mentions that legendary coach George Allen is on the sidelines when in fact the head coach is Jack Pardee. He was so certain Allen was on the sidelines he had me doubting. I only remembered it was Pardee because that undefeated run to open the season was part of a new era, or so we thought at the time.

wuds100
30.08.2010, 12:52 AM
In the the miserable preseason game against the Jets the other night, the score went to 9-5, fairly unusual scoreline in the NFL.

Thiesman was doing the broadcast and brings up that was final score in a game in 1978 and starts going into detail.

Anyone redskin fan from back then (I was 12 yo at the time) remembers the game vividly. It was a Monday nighter against the cowboys. Howard Cosell was in the booth and I can still here is voice.

The skins were 4-0 going into the game, the cowboys 3-1. The buildup to the game was the talk of the town, even little kids were allowed to stay up until midnight to see the finish.

The game was grueling to watch, in those days the cowboys seemed unstoppable and no lead was safe. Somehow the skins kept stopping Staubach and Dorset, how was the defense doing it? Finally they had the game wrapped up with Redskins leading 9-3, with the ball and one play left in the game and skins fans were celebrating.

Joe Theisman only has to take the snap and run out the final 6 seconds. But what does this asshole do? He hold the ball up in the air celebrating and back pedals towards the end zone waving the ball around celebrating. The cowboys hit him hard, cause and fumble and Theisman was lucky, very very lucky to have recovered the ball in the end zone to give the cowboys a safety and Redskins a victory instead of giving them a game winning touchdown.

Joe leaves that part out of the story, and he also mentions that legendary coach George Allen is on the sidelines when in fact the head coach is Jack Pardee. He was so certain Allen was on the sidelines he had me doubting. I only remembered it was Pardee because that undefeated run to open the season was part of a new era, or so we thought at the time.

Sounds hilarious, I gather he aint that popular with the watching fans in DC.

Riggo
30.08.2010, 09:03 PM
Sounds hilarious, I gather he aint that popular with the watching fans in DC.

Well he does have that super win to his credit, and when he was a player he never shut his mouth when talking to the local media so he always provided material. Thus despite his annoying ramblings I would say more people like him than admit, but certainly not hated. Kornheiser might be the only person that really hates him.

wuds100
30.08.2010, 11:44 PM
Well he does have that super win to his credit, and when he was a player he never shut his mouth when talking to the local media so he always provided material. Thus despite his annoying ramblings I would say more people like him than admit, but certainly not hated. Kornheiser might be the only person that really hates him.

The word Drunk was used when describing him a few times
on the open thread for the game on Hogs Haven,
I remember noticing how bad the chemistry was on MNF.

viewparkbhoy
04.09.2010, 07:42 PM
Meh!

Big Hollywood and Riggo got me into this sport and team so I still like him. :D

G_Redskin
05.09.2010, 05:49 PM
Meh!

Big Hollywood and Riggo got me into this sport and team so I still like him. :D

Agreed, :)