PDA

View Full Version : TENNESSEE TITANS THREAD

Pages : [1] 2 3 4

bryane2
05.09.2005, 11:24 AM
Well its taken long enough but here it is at last.

I'll start the ball rolling by saying i believe this year will be a lot better for the Titans than most people think. Been following new on the team during the long close season and the mood amongst the coaching staff and players seems good depite the loss of a number of free agents. Though we did lose a lot game last season the were a few possitives in that in a number of game the offence looked pretty hot and what with McNair fit and backed up by a Quality QB in Billy Volek and the addition of Adam 'pacman' Jones in the draft plus the signing of Travis Henry to share the load on the ground with Chris Brown thing look reasonably optimistic. If only we could now find a way the sort out the weak pass defending...

colts#1
05.09.2005, 12:06 PM
Any of you want to join the AFC South Fantasy League agfainst a few other AFC South fans? If so go over to the FF Section and look at the thread! Please Join!!!! ;D ;D ;D

Gman84
05.09.2005, 03:02 PM
I think the Titans will look a bit better this year. They have players returning from injury but they are very young in some parts (receivers, defense) and it may be a learning season for them. I could see them struggling at the begining and having a good finish.

I'm very interested to see how Chows offense performs. He likes to use a two half back set a lot and I can see defenses blitzing it to make the backs pass protect. if they can overcome that, it could look real good, if not........it could get messy.

Flaming Thumbtack
05.09.2005, 06:55 PM
This is all well and good, but do we honestly NEED a Titans thread? There are about 3 fans that post regularly. An AFC South thread would be better, so that we could then at least have some banter with the Colts fans! ;)

IndyUK
05.09.2005, 06:58 PM
There is an AFC south thread somewhere, but it is probably buried on page 123+ :-\

Anyway if you want banter with us just use the Colts thread, you Titan losers :-*

Holywood
05.09.2005, 07:14 PM
Yeah I agree Flaming thumb tack, there only seem to be 3 of us that post regularly on the board, and we dont REALLY need a titnas thread, lets just invade the colts one, after all, they are our rivals :)

I think we should have a better season than expected too, Roby, Williams, and Jones actually seem to be getting better and better, also Sirmon has returned on Defense. Im looking forward to it, I think we have a chance of finishing the season at about 8-8, but only time will tell.

bryane2
10.09.2005, 12:22 PM
Your probably right about this thread cos 3 regualars is not really enough. Having thought about it 8 single threads for each division makesmore sense to me than individual club threads especaily for less well supported teams. Gonna pop over to the AFC South thread and dust off the cob webs down on page 200 now. :D

gemma_d
16.11.2005, 01:44 PM
Does anyone know if Tennessee will be shown on a live game this year? The chances of us winning the vote for week 14 must be pretty well zero I'd have thought.

Flaming Thumbtack
16.11.2005, 06:21 PM
Does anyone know if Tennessee will be shown on a live game this year? The chances of us winning the vote for week 14 must be pretty well zero I'd have thought.

Not looking likely. Titans aren't on any Sunday Night or Monday Night football, and Sky seem to be running out of weeks.

Still, it's kind of a blessing in disguise if you look at it one way... ;)

IndyUK
16.11.2005, 09:13 PM

Not looking likely. Titans aren't on any Sunday Night or Monday Night football, and Sky seem to be running out of weeks.

A blessing in disguise for all of us!! ;)

bryane2
16.11.2005, 09:14 PM
Now that was bitchy! ;D

Flaming Thumbtack
16.11.2005, 09:18 PM

A blessing in disguise for all of us!! ;)

Hey, go pay your parking fines, 'Jailbird' ;)

PavlovsDog
16.11.2005, 09:25 PM
Outside chance of the Titans getting on in Week 17 against the Jags, if it's a must win game for Jacksonville.

dagger668
24.11.2005, 04:08 PM
Unlikely to be shown this year it seems, but at lease I was in Nashville for the mauling of Baltimore this year.

ravin raven
24.11.2005, 04:14 PM
Unlikely to be shown this year it seems, but at lease I was in Nashville for the mauling of Baltimore this year.

just remember - our starting QB was anthony wright :'(

bryane2
24.11.2005, 04:16 PM

Now thats a stroke of luck if its the only Titans game you get to this season! :D

gemma_d
04.01.2006, 10:12 AM
Floyd Reese has given a very optimistic assessment for next season and the future. A few weeks ago I might have been inclined to agree with him, but now I am not so sure. What do others think?

bryane2
04.01.2006, 06:07 PM
Well this season could not have been worse so next season has got to be better! :D

But seriously though i do think that there is reason for optimism in that the offense does have some quality at QB (yes i do think Billy Volek can be a good succcessor to Steve McNair) RB Any of Brown, Henry or even perhaps Peyton can do a good job there.

I know that the defence does need a lot of work perticularly as far as stopping the pass goes. Hopefully a good draft will help with that along with a decent free agent signing or two now that the Titans cap problems are over (i think!)

That's my two cents anyway for what its worth.

There is certainly no danger of Jeff Fischer getting the boot and i would not want any other coach at the helm.

Flaming Thumbtack
04.01.2006, 06:46 PM
Floyd Reese has given a very optimistic assessment for next season and the future. A few weeks ago I might have been inclined to agree with him, but now I am not so sure. What do others think?

yes, I agree too. There is a definite sense that we are over the worst of it, and an optimism now that we will have some cap room to play with come free agency.

I disagree that the season couldn't have been worse tho TitanNut. Just look at the improvement from the defencsive line. It's gone from being a big questionmark before the season began to the strength of the defence. We just need a few pieces on defence - some OLBs who can tackle for instance - and we'll be set.

Offence for me is where the question marks linger. Both running backs failed to post 4.0 YPC averages, which is a concern. When Bennett got hurt, our pass offence suffered too. By the sounds of what Reese is saying, we'll be looking for another decent receiver in FA, which is a positive step. I really like the young guys we have at WR (Roby, Jones, Williams) but they need another year. Calico is a disappointment.

We have the potential to be a sound offense - particularly with our TEs. But we need a QB for the future - we might get lucky and have McNair for one more year but if we draft someone at QB Volek will be gone. I'm also tired of Chris Brown getting injured and limping off the field. Travis Henry didn't do a whole lot of anything either, and so a new running back would be nice.

I haven't been Pacman's biggest fan so far, but in fairness for a rookie to come in and play 15 games is at least faintly impressive. If you factor in Reynaldo Hill also starting at corner as a rookie on the same team the guys did some encouraging things, and can only get better as a tandem. Pacman is always going to get burned, because that's the way he plays, but he does give give us some big play potential too. And his returns can be breathtaking to watch. He's got a good chance of becoming a decent player - just not as good as where we drafted him.

So, all in all what I'm saying is Matt Leinart, AJ Hawk or DeAngelo Williams would be very nice thank you :)

gemma_d
05.01.2006, 10:16 AM
I'm happy to be swayed by your optimism! I thought for much of the season that if we were 20% better in both offense and defense we might have finished with a winning record, but the last few games were disappointing. I agree that we have some good talent at RB, and with another experienced WR we should have a much more productive offense next year (ideally with McNair - and all the noises are good on that). Defense is more of a problem though - we had weaknesses in pretty much all areas, and a lot of work will be needed in the close season.

By the way, does anyone here follow the Nashville Kats?

bryane2
05.01.2006, 07:44 PM
No. ;D

Flaming Thumbtack
05.01.2006, 08:33 PM
I'm happy to be swayed by your optimism! I thought for much of the season that if we were 20% better in both offense and defense we might have finished with a winning record, but the last few games were disappointing. I agree that we have some good talent at RB, and with another experienced WR we should have a much more productive offense next year (ideally with McNair - and all the noises are good on that). Defense is more of a problem though - we had weaknesses in pretty much all areas, and a lot of work will be needed in the close season.

By the way, does anyone here follow the Nashville Kats?

If the Lovin' Spoonful are to be believed, they've 'been playing since they's babies!'

I try to follow the Kats. Apologies for my obscure country music reference ;)

hoppo45
10.01.2006, 10:04 PM
Whats up?

Im new to the board and thought id 'get in there' with some fellow Titans fans.

Went to TN last summer and although there were no games on I visited the stadium in Nashville and also the Tennessee Vols stadium in Knoxville (massive). Even have a photo of Peyton Manning Pass :-[

Anyway....what does everybody think our prospects are for next year? What position will we focus on in the draft?

Flaming Thumbtack
10.01.2006, 10:10 PM
Whats up?

Im new to the board and thought id 'get in there' with some fellow Titans fans.

Went to TN last summer and although there were no games on I visited the stadium in Nashville and also the Tennessee Vols stadium in Knoxville (massive). Even have a photo of Peyton Manning Pass :-[

Anyway....what does everybody think our prospects are for next year? What position will we focus on in the draft?

hey welcome hoppo - you chose to 'get in there' with the right bunch of fans here!

As to our propspects next year, I'd say that the mood is one of quiet optimism that we can get something going but that it depends on how well we do in the draft and at free agency as we do have a few holes. On the whole though, we have some young but rapidly maturing pieces that could suprise some people. That's my current take anyway. What do you think?

hoppo45
10.01.2006, 11:31 PM
To be honest I haven't really had the chance to see much of the Titan's this year due to not having access to Sky anymore. Im now restricted to catching the short clips Channel 5 show every week! Its a shame we haven't had a live match on this year (to my knowledge).

My bro lives in Greeneville in TN but follows the Falcons as his girlfriend is from ATL booooooo!!!

I think a running back and corner of great ability would be good in pre-season, we can't expect McNair to keep trying to carry the team on his shoulders. Also the strength of Indy and the Jags is worrying going into next season, even the Texans might have a good running game next year!

PavlovsDog
10.01.2006, 11:32 PM
To be honest I haven't really had the chance to see much of the Titan's this year due to not having access to Sky anymore. Im now restricted to catching the short clips Channel 5 show every week! Its a shame we haven't had a live match on this year (to my knowledge).

My bro lives in Greeneville in TN but follows the Falcons as his girlfriend is from ATL booooooo!!!

I think a running back and corner of great ability would be good in pre-season, we can't expect McNair to keep trying to carry the team on his shoulders. Also the strength of Indy and the Jags is worrying going into next season, even the Texans might have a good running game next year!

Sky didn't show a single Titans game all year, so you missed nothing by not having Sky.

hoppo45
10.01.2006, 11:34 PM

Sky didn't show a single Titans game all year, so you missed nothing by not having Sky.

Cool. Usually they will talk about all teams on Sky though. I think Channel 5's coverage is fantastic and has come on leaps and bounds especially this year but when I e-mailed in about the Titans, the only thing they read out from the e-mail was that I was a 'sleeping bag-er' :(

bryane2
11.01.2006, 08:06 PM
As part of the Trading syndicate in the TV Coverage forums i have all 16 Titans games from Pontel for this season so if any fellow Titans fans are interested in them message me and we can discuss.

trudders
12.01.2006, 11:00 AM
with not many players leaving over free agency and the Cap been more manageable, and McNair staying, and if the younger guys on the team can develop well (specly Calico) and get rid of brown he done nothing since he been injuredthen the Titans are going to have a sound season next year and maybe even playoff bound

bryane2
12.01.2006, 06:09 PM
Remember '99? Five non-winning seasons then right out of the blue a superbowl appearance so why not playoffs next year? :)

gemma_d
16.01.2006, 12:47 PM
Hmmm...play-offs! I know I'm going to get a reputation as a doom and gloom merchant, but I can't honestly see us finishing ahead of either the Colts or the Jags next year...maybe 2007 though! I'll be very disappointed though if we don't finish with a winning record next season though, and still at least be in contention for a wild card place by week 10. That said, we have a pretty tough schedule next year.

We really need to make use of the cap room we have to bring some more experience into the squad. Although it's one of the areas where we do have a lot of experience, I think we could do with a couple of new LBs. I think I picked up somewhere that James Harrison of the Steelers will be a free agent next season, and I think that's the kind of player who would give us more speed and agression in defense.

As for the draft, unless we get really lucky, I don't think we should be looking for any regular rookie starters next year, but long-term a good QB is a must. For now though, I am really hoping they can come to some sort of agreement with McNair.

It was a bad year for Travis Henry, for obvious reasons, but I think he could yet prove to be an excellent aquisition (assuming he stays, of course). And I certainly wouldn't write Chris Brown off yet!

Holywood
16.01.2006, 07:30 PM
We need better players in the secondary, and some kind of younger (say 3rd year), faster LB who knows how to play. We could also use a young QB, since McNair (while I love him as a player) is more or less past it by now.

gemma_d
16.01.2006, 09:56 PM
I still think if he can stay fit that Steve has another 2-3 years left, at least. At his best he is still one of the best QBs in the NFL. Quite a big "if" though, unfortunately :'(

Flaming Thumbtack
16.01.2006, 10:14 PM
I still think if he can stay fit that Steve has another 2-3 years left, at least. At his best he is still one of the best QBs in the NFL. Quite a big "if" though, unfortunately :'(

I'm thinking he has one year left and, the way the last two years have gone, maybe not a full year either. A first-rate young QB to come in and learn under him this year is a must IMO. If Leinart is available I would love him, if not maybe we could trade down for Jay Cutler. The guy I don't want is the Vince Young hype-machine, although I have a feeling that we will end up getting him.

Talking of next season, I'm hopeful that with the improvement from young players Coach Fisher will take fewer risks when on offence. The team were pretty bad on 4th down conversions last year, but that didn't stop us from going for it rather too often. The worst example I can think of was in the game when we were LEADING AT THE TIME against Seattle. I don't think the coaching staff had any confidence in the defence and felt that we needed to go for it, but after failing and giving them the short field Seattle scored what turned out to be the winning score on that drive. In fact, there were quite a few baffling calls from the Titans this year.... what do you guys think?

gemma_d
17.01.2006, 03:06 PM
I don't think there's any doubt that the coaching staff felt more confident in putting the ball in McNair's hands than trusting the defense. To be fair, in the Seahawks games that was understandable. I think towards the end of the season there was a very much "what the heck" approach - and just maybe (perish the thought) the prospect of a higher draft pick might have been at the back of their minds....!

Holywood
17.01.2006, 04:25 PM
Yeah.

Well our defense isnt tooooo bad.

Well it is I suppose.

Our D line is pretty good on the pass rush but we need to get better at stopping the run. Our linebackers are getting older, and the only one that seems to ever have a consistent impact on the game is Bulluck. Our secondary is just young and needs a steady veteran in there......maybe we can get someone in free agency.

gemma_d
17.01.2006, 04:48 PM
If you haven't seen this, it's worth a read:

http://www.titansonline.com/news/newsmain_detail.php?PRKey=3564

Things seem to be moving in the direction of McNair staying on, with either Leinart or Young drafted. In that case, I'd imagine Volek will be released . Unless, the Texans trade down, it's pretty unlikely we'd get Bush (but in any case, a new QB might be a higher priority). On the other hand, you could see the Texans going for Young, and the Saints are a little QB-lite at the moment too, with Brooks out of favour...

I think it's pretty certain we'll be looking at free-agents for WR, LB and safety. Possibly RB too if Henry isn't re-signed.

Actually, the more I think about it, with the right signings, next season could be quite exciting!

bryane2
17.01.2006, 06:52 PM
If only we'd lost just 2 more games then we could have Bush! ;D

Flaming Thumbtack
02.02.2006, 10:19 PM
Vanden Bosch added to Pro Bowl roster

NASHVILLE, TN, Jan. 25, 2006 -- Titans defensive end Kyle Vanden Bosch has been added to the AFC Pro Bowl roster, replacing Miami Dolphins defensive end Jason Taylor, who will not play in the game due to injury.

In his first season with the Titans after four years with the Arizona Cardinals, Vanden Bosch finished second in the AFC and fourth in the NFL with a career-high 12.5 sacks, the most sacks by a member of the Titans since Jevon Kearse recorded 14.5 sacks in 1999.

Vanden Bosch also posted 100 tackles to finish second on the team behind linebacker Keith Bulluck (150). His tackle total was the most by a franchise defensive lineman since Ray Childress and Richard Byrd each tallied over 100 tackles in 1986.

The 2006 Pro Bowl will be played Sunday, Feb. 12 in Honolulu, Hawaii.

from http://www.titansonline.com/news/titans_news_detail.php?PRKey=3571

For a guy who came in merely to add a veteran presence to the line to turn in a career year was sensational. Great news for Kyle - he deserves it.

gemma_d
04.02.2006, 02:13 PM
Kyle was definitely one of the bright points of the season. It does show though how valuable bringing a little veteran experience into a team can be.

Dave_R
04.02.2006, 02:21 PM

Things seem to be moving in the direction of McNair staying on, with either Leinart or Young drafted. In that case, I'd imagine Volek will be released . Unless, the Texans trade down, it's pretty unlikely we'd get Bush (but in any case, a new QB might be a higher priority). On the other hand, you could see the Texans going for Young, and the Saints are a little QB-lite at the moment too, with Brooks out of favour...

I think it's pretty certain we'll be looking at free-agents for WR, LB and safety. Possibly RB too if Henry isn't re-signed.

Actually, the more I think about it, with the right signings, next season could be quite exciting!

I think Young will be a huge bust unless he can seriously improve his arm - he has some of the worst mechanics I've seen in such a highly rated player. If the USC pair went 1 & 2, I'd be ging after D'Brickashaw Ferguson or looking to move down to be honest. However he is McNairs protege so that could influence things.

Steed05
04.02.2006, 02:23 PM

I think Young will be a huge bust unless he can seriously improve his arm - he has some of the worst mechanics I've seen in such a highly rated player. If the USC pair went 1 & 2, I'd be ging after D'Brickashaw Ferguson or looking to move down to be honest. However he is McNairs protege so that could influence things.

Completely agree. Young is an absolutely huge project for any team that takes him on. However, if he will succeed anywhere it will be the Titans.

Flaming Thumbtack
04.02.2006, 02:54 PM
My view on VY:

Young is a huge boom-or-bust prospect. His throwing motion is a horrible funky kind of deal, and horrible funky kind of deals never tend to work out - see Rick Mirer. As an athlete though, he is scarily fast for such a big guy and has the potential to give teams fits. I'll be honest, he has something about him - he's a competitor, but he's also a project and the kind of player that would be a good gamble in the middle of the first round, but a total reach at #3 in the draft.

gemma_d
05.02.2006, 10:51 AM
There is a real dilemma here. Assuming McNair stays on (and that's almost a given now) and Volek goes, that would mean starting with either Mauk or Young as backup. That would be quite a scary prospect!

Flaming Thumbtack
05.02.2006, 01:01 PM
There is a real dilemma here. Assuming McNair stays on (and that's almost a given now) and Volek goes, that would mean starting with either Mauk or Young as backup. That would be quite a scary prospect!

Especially given that McNair hasn't managed a full season since 2002....

SteButt
05.02.2006, 01:13 PM

Especially given that McNair hasn't managed a full season since 2002....

On the assumption that Bush & Leinart were gone by pick 3 - if you didnit want Young and couldn't trade down, who do you think you should draft?

Flaming Thumbtack
05.02.2006, 01:36 PM
As I fully expect to be in this position in our mock draft in the college thread, I'll let you ponder this until I make my pick ;)

gemma_d
06.02.2006, 10:36 PM
On the assumption that Bush & Leinart were gone by pick 3 - if you didnit want Young and couldn't trade down, who do you think you should draft?

Is "I don't know" too much of a wimpy answer? My guess is that assuming we don't trade down, we'd take Young even if we had #1 pick. However, there are rumours flying around Nashville about both D'Brickashaw Ferguson and Jay Cutler. But then, there are also rumours that the Saints might go for Cutler.

I think we'd be mad not to draft a QB, so if Bush & Leinart had gone and we didn't want Young, it would have to be Cutler.

Khaled
06.02.2006, 11:20 PM
I think we'd be mad not to draft a QB, so if Bush & Leinart had gone and we didn't want Young, it would have to be Cutler.

Not a fan of Billy Volek then? I'd actually like to see him get a starting job somewhere to see how he could do when an organisation puts faith in him.

dagger668
07.02.2006, 10:52 AM
Whilst Volek played well in 2004, he didn't really play to well last year, and he himself said he had to go away and work hard during the off season, so I think the jury is still out on him. He has also been in the league a long time now, so maybe the big break through is just not going to happen for him in Nashville.

gemma_d
07.02.2006, 08:22 PM
Not a fan of Billy Volek then? I'd actually like to see him get a starting job somewhere to see how he could do when an organisation puts faith in him.

Well, actually I do like Volek, and I think he would be a fine starting quarterback. If McNair isn't retained, then he would be able to step into his shoes. But if McNair does stay (and that is the most likely scenario) I'd very much doubt that Volek will be content to be #2 for another 2-3 years. It's with that in mind that I think we need to use the high pick to draft McNair's eventual successor.

gemma_d
13.02.2006, 08:57 PM
Interesting article in the Tennessean:

http://www.tennessean.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?AID=/20060210/SPORTS01/602100430/1027

Looks like that's the way the wind's blowing!

(Sorry, you have to cut and paste the link)

Dave_R
13.02.2006, 09:13 PM
Interesting article in the Tennessean:

http://www.tennessean.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?AID=/20060210/SPORTS01/602100430/1027

Looks like that's the way the wind's blowing!

(Sorry, you have to cut and paste the link)

Or click here (http://www.tennessean.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?AID=/20060210/SPORTS01/602100430/1027) :)

On the draft debate if Leinart and Bush went 1 & 2, I wouldn't go young but that mainly because I think he'll bust. as always I'd go for the trenches and take D'Brick

gemma_d
13.02.2006, 09:24 PM
I don't know enough about him to really have a view on this. But all the noises coming out of Nashville seem to imply that if he's still there, he'll be our pick.

Dave_R
16.02.2006, 12:15 AM
I don't know enough about him to really have a view on this. But all the noises coming out of Nashville seem to imply that if he's still there, he'll be our pick.

With the McNair connection it would make sense from a publicity point of view.

Its just my personal opinion that he will but and I'll admit I'm not great at judging QB prospects (I knew Charly Frye and David Garard could play coming out of college and also thought Harrington would bust, but then again I also though Carson Palmer would be a bust). He's certainly a bigger boom or bust pick than any of those though.

gemma_d
16.02.2006, 02:54 PM
According to FoxSports.com, the Titans are closing in on a deal within the next 24-48 hours that will keep Kyle Vanden Bosch in Tennessee with a four-year contract valued at $15 million in guaranteed money.

http://msn.foxsports.com/nfl/story/5335310

Great news for the Titans. Not such good news for everyone else!

Dave_R
16.02.2006, 05:29 PM
According to FoxSports.com, the Titans are closing in on a deal within the next 24-48 hours that will keep Kyle Vanden Bosch in Tennessee with a four-year contract valued at $15 million in guaranteed money.

http://msn.foxsports.com/nfl/story/5335310

Great news for the Titans. Not such good news for everyone else!

I was absolutely amazed by his play this year. Just another example that everyone struggles in Az

gemma_d
17.02.2006, 09:04 AM
It's official!

KVB agreed terms yesterday. Yay!

dagger668
17.02.2006, 10:31 AM
Great news, the defensive line was solid last year, just need Sirmon back to his best and some help in the secondary and the D should be a lot more competitive next year. Need to sort out our run blocking and wide receiver play though.

gemma_d
17.02.2006, 11:13 AM
It also really sends a message to the fans that as a franchise we're back in business again.

danny17
20.02.2006, 08:20 PM
I think the Titans D line could be one of the greatest in the league. Its young and with players like vanden bosch and Haynesworth it could be formidble. I just hope the Titans cankeep it together.

gemma_d
01.03.2006, 12:06 PM
According to his agent, it sounds as if Brad Hopkins is going to be released.

Thorn_TJ
01.03.2006, 02:34 PM
According to his agent, it sounds as if Brad Hopkins is going to be released.

Hes a legend. Be sorry to see him leave.

gemma_d
01.03.2006, 08:49 PM
Hes a legend. Be sorry to see him leave.

He is that! Hopkins ranks third in franchise history in games played with 194 and second in starts with 188 by an offensive lineman behind Bruce Matthews. He started 15 games last year and was instrumental in making us the NFL's ninth-best passing offense.

He'll be sadly missed :'(

danny17
01.03.2006, 09:30 PM
Didnt Bruce Matthews play for something like 18-20 years. ???

gemma_d
02.03.2006, 01:50 PM
The Titans have hired John Zernhelt as tight ends coach.

Zernhelt joins the Titans after spending last season as the tight ends coach for the New York Jets. The Jets offense was decimated by injuries last season, but TE Doug Jolley still ranked third for the Jets in receptions with 29.

“John has a great deal of experience as a coach with the offensive line and tight end position,” said Jeff Fisher. “He did an excellent job last year with the Jets in his work with the tight ends.”

gemma_d
02.03.2006, 03:21 PM
According to his agent, the Titans have reached a restructured deal with Travis Henry. The Titans avoided paying the $4 million option Henry was scheduled to collect as the veteran agreed to a multiyear, incentive-laden deal. "Travis is bending over backwards to make this work because he really believes in the Titans," agent Hadley Engelhard said. "Based on what happened last year he wants to show the Titans what he is all about."

gemma_d
02.03.2006, 03:22 PM
According to his agent, the Titans have informed veteran tackle Brad Hopkins that he’s being released. Hopkins was a first-round draft pick of the Houston Oilers in 1993. "They said they are going to officially release him today or tomorrow," agent Mark Bartelstein said. "From a cap standpoint they said it was just something they had to do." Hopkins was scheduled to earn a base salary of $4.25 million in 2006 and had a $5 million option put in his contract last offseason that would have added years 2007-09 to his deal.

In the days leading up to his release, he was given an opportunity to remain with the team. The Titans asked him to play for $770,000 - the minimum for a player of his experience. He was scheduled to earn a base salary of $4.25 million in 2006, along with a $1.5 million roster bonus. "I can't be starting left tackle having done it for going into my 14th year for the minimum (salary). That is not an option," Hopkins said. "I think they understood that. You say 'significant pay cut,' but a $5 million pay cut is a bit much, I think. I couldn't weather that storm. I wasn't getting paid fair market value for what I do. Hey, they did what they had to do."

Flaming Thumbtack
02.03.2006, 06:28 PM
Didnt Bruce Matthews play for something like 18-20 years. ???

Yep, his NFL career began in 1983 and he retired after the 2001 season. I'll do the math for you - 19 seasons! ;)

franka
02.03.2006, 06:30 PM
are damn, Hopkins gone :'(

I think Titans will increase to add to their young nucleus next season and will continue to improve their young players. I reckon Titans will improve their record aswell next season, with the talent they have and the picks they get in the draft, we should get a better record than 5-11 and 4-12. But the 2006 season awaits hard opponents like New England and San Diego. I would f-in love it if we beat them. Any thoughts?

Flaming Thumbtack
02.03.2006, 06:45 PM
are damn, Hopkins gone :'(

I think Titans will increase to add to their young nucleus next season and will continue to improve their young players. I reckon Titans will improve their record aswell next season, with the talent they have and the picks they get in the draft, we should get a better record than 5-11 and 4-12. But the 2006 season awaits hard opponents like New England and San Diego. I would f-in love it if we beat them. Any thoughts?

Yep - september is a loooong way away. Lets see what the off-season brings first before we start to worry about who might be good next season!

gemma_d
02.03.2006, 07:25 PM
Veteran G Benji Olson has agreed to terms on a new contract before the cap deadline according to his agent. "As of this morning we have an agreement," agent Michael Sullivan said. "We expect Benji to sign it today." Details of the four-year deal were not disclosed. The fifth round draft pick in 1998 was scheduled to earn $3 million in 2006 as part of his old contract.

Sullivan also represents S Tank Williams and says his client will be a part of free agency though the Titans remain interested in him.

gemma_d
02.03.2006, 07:33 PM
I think Titans will increase to add to their young nucleus next season and will continue to improve their young players. I reckon Titans will improve their record aswell next season, with the talent they have and the picks they get in the draft, we should get a better record than 5-11 and 4-12. But the 2006 season awaits hard opponents like New England and San Diego. I would love it if we beat them. Any thoughts?

A lot may depend on what happens in the next 12 hours or so. Without any uplift in the cap most of our re-building plans will go out the window. Last season showed just how difficult it is playing with a rookie squad so I wouldn't expect any miracles coming out of the draft. That said, we do have a talented squad and should do much better next year, but it is a tough schedule. I still think 8-8 is a realistic target.

gemma_d
02.03.2006, 08:43 PM
As expected, Steve McNair’s 50M option was officially declined today. The Titans will pay McNair a 1M penalty fee and his contract will now expire at the end of this season.

franka
02.03.2006, 09:24 PM
This Tank Williams situation is worrying, he is a superb player and i think the Titans would have a bit of a small struggle withought him. He created many game changing plays in 2005 e.g. the blocked field goal he did against Seattle, didnt win the game but still stopped them.

Maybe the Titans could get around this but i would think this would end up as a free-agent subject.

Gman84
02.03.2006, 09:44 PM
More cap room created for your team:

Source: RotoWire.com Staff [ Full Article (http://sports.yahoo.com/nfl/news?slug=rotowire-ravisenryestructured&prov=rotowire&type=lgns) ]

Travis Henry and the Titans have agreed to a restructured contract, according to the Tennessean. The Titans avoided paying the $4 million option Henry was slated to receive, and in turn he agreed to an incentive-heavy multiyear deal.

gemma_d
02.03.2006, 09:56 PM
This Tank Williams situation is worrying, he is a superb player and i think the Titans would have a bit of a small struggle withought him. He created many game changing plays in 2005 e.g. the blocked field goal he did against Seattle, didnt win the game but still stopped them.

Maybe the Titans could get around this but i would think this would end up as a free-agent subject.

Tank Williams, Justin Hartwig, Brad Kassell, Rocky Boiman, Tony Beckham and Jon Dorenbos are all about to become unrestricted free agents, but none will be resigned today. Williams and Hartwig are possibilities to be resigned after free agency begins. Kassell, Boiman, and Beckham are goners. Dorenbos, a restricted free agent, requested not to be tendered, which will make him unrestricted.

The Titans will probably decline to exercise the three-year, 4M option on Billy Volek’s contract and spend a $500k roster bonus to retain him, saving $1.3M this year. If so, Volek would remain this year and become a free agent in 2007.

gemma_d
03.03.2006, 08:40 PM
The Titans made a number of moves Thursday to get below the salary cap even before the NFL delayed the start of the NFL fiscal year.

If the NFL extends the CBA over the next three weeks and increases the 2006 salary cap by roughly $10 million, General Manager Floyd Reese said the team will be in even better shape.

''That's all gravy for us,'' Reese said.

The moves made over the last few days:

1. The Titans did not exercise the $50 million option on Steve McNair. The Titans now owe McNair a $1 million bonus. Reese said McNair will be a Titan in 2006.

''The cap number is much bigger than we want to live with, but he will for sure be a Titan for another year and hopefully more after that,'' Reese said.

2. The Titans did not exercise an option bonus with Billy Volek, meaning Volek's contract now goes through the 2007 season.

3. The Titans did not exercise an option bonus with Peter Sirmon, meaning the linebacker's contract ends after the 2006 season.

4. The Titans exercised an option to extend Michael Roos' contract by one year.

5. The Titans exercised an option in Lamont Thompson's contract by three years.

6. The Titans exercised an option to extend Pacman Jones' contract by one year.

7. The Titans exercised an option to extend Ken Amato's contract by three years.

8. The Titans did not tender long snapper Jon Dorenbos by the player's request.

''He knows there are two or three possibilities for him in the league,'' Reese said. ''Rather than have two good long snappers, I think we felt strong enough about Ken...we wanted to give (Dorenbos) the opportunity to go on, he request that, and we granted it.''

9. The Titans did tender all potential exclusive rights and restricted free agents Matt Mauck, Jarrett Payton, Marcus Randall, Cody Spencer, and Donnie Nickey.

10. The Titans renegotiated Benji Olson's deal, extending it by four years.

11. The Titans did not exercise Travis Henry's roster bonus, but renegotiated his contract.

12. The Titans released 13-year veteran tackle Brad Hopkins.

''Brad has been a great player for us for a long time,'' Reese said. ''We have not severed the relationship with Brad. Brad wanted the opportunity to go out, look around, he deserves that.''

''If he can't find something that suits him, then he may be back,'' Reese said. ''We can't say enough good things about Brad. He's been a great Titan for a number of years, and a great football player, and a great person.''

Head Coach Jeff Fisher said he was pleased with the way the cap situation was worked out.

''We've said all along, we took the hits last year, we knew we were going to have to make some minor changes, but our roster is set in such a way that we have the opportunity to get better, literally at every position, and that's what we're trying to do.''

Reese said the salary cap numbers remain a number in flux, because the league office is swamped.

''This is something we've never ever gone through,'' Reese said. ''There are a lot of questions, lot of issues, and what-ifs.''

Reese said he expects plenty of names to hit the free-agent market whether or not the league agrees to a new collective bargaining agreement with the players union.

''I think you may still see a number of great players that are out there,'' Reese said. ''We will be able to participate in free-agency. We will not be a big player, but we will be able to participate.''

The Titans were reportedly between 10-18 million dollars over the salary cap heading into free-agency. Reese said he's not sure how much cap room has been created, but he's happy to be under the cap.

''I just know we're under, which is the key issue,'' Reese said. ''There will be some things we'll have to do between now and the signing of our first free-agent, but the key thing is that on the due date we're going to be in good shape and be under and be ready to go to work.''

Reese said the lack of a new collective bargaining agreement would complicate free agency for all 32 NFL teams.

''I think it's going to be more difficult, even for teams that really have a lot of money,'' Reese said. ''It's an odd year, and you have to be very careful what you do this year because if the new CBA is passed halfway though or at the beginning of next year, then you're under a whole new set of rules and you have to be careful what you do now doesn't affect you three years from now.''

(Source - Titans Radio)

Steed05
03.03.2006, 08:45 PM
You don't half know your stuff on the Titans, Gemma! :o

gemma_d
03.03.2006, 08:56 PM
I just read a lot!!

danny17
03.03.2006, 09:53 PM
Well thats a hell of a lot of reading. I knew all about all the transactions but didnt think it would be that long :o. Thats amazing good work. Also what are your views about Kassel,Hartwig and Williams being able to test FA. Will they be missed or not.

gemma_d
03.03.2006, 10:30 PM
Kassell being cut was pretty much a foregone conculsion, which is disappointing for me personally as he's the defensive player I tend to take first control of in Madden! He’s an old-school kind of player, and always made a reliable contribution last year even as we kept losing. His work ethic makes him the kind of player you'd like to keep in the squad but we really need more athleticism at LB.

Both Williams and Hartwig may be re-signed once FA begins. Tank getting cut was a surprise to me I must admit. He was rushed back from injury because of necessity and in the circumstances did pretty well, particularly towards the end of the season as his fitness improved.

From a purely statistical point of view, Hartwig probably had the best year of all the O-line. But our O-line coach, Mike Munchak has said he believes that Eugene Amano is ready to step up and start. I can't see any reason to doubt that assessment and I guess that's why the decision has been made to let Justin go.

gemma_d
03.03.2006, 10:41 PM
Incidently, Fisher has not ruled out bringing Hopkins back to the lineup.

''We'd like to try to work something out to where we'd be able to get Brad back here, and in the best scenario possible we've created some competition.''

''That's what we're trying to do as a staff, and what Floyd's trying to do from a personnel standpoint is create competition at a lot of positions.''

Steed05
03.03.2006, 10:43 PM
I am glad to see that the Titans have got Henry sorted out. He really can step up and perform and then a Brown/Henry two headed monster will help your offense no end!

With all these cuts going on, don't people think the Titans should draft someone like Super Mario/Hawk to build a D around?

gemma_d
03.03.2006, 10:49 PM
With all these cuts going on, don't people think the Titans should draft someone like Super Mario/Hawk to build a D around?

Yes, that would make a lot of sense. But Floyd Reese has consistently said that we will draft the highest ranked player available, which has been interpreted as meaning Young. I did start a thread somewhere else saying that I thought Ferguson might be our best choice...but that got erased in a fit of pique!

Steed05
03.03.2006, 10:53 PM

Yes, that would make a lot of sense. But Floyd Reese has consistently said that we will draft the highest ranked player available, which has been interpreted as meaning Young. I did start a thread somewhere else saying that I thought Ferguson might be our best choice...but that got erased in a fit of pique!

If you are considering getting Brick then the Texans may have to use No.1 on him, which could leave a situation where you have Bush on your board. Of course, the Texans will probably do the stupid thing and draft Bush and that would allow the Titans a host of options!

SteButt
03.03.2006, 10:55 PM

I refuse to believe that Gemma ;)

Yeah, it's a risky business for Tennessee IF the top 2 go as expected. Young will be great or awful IMO, I think a more solid choice would be better, but can the Titans resist?

gemma_d
03.03.2006, 10:57 PM
A lot of people are saying that Young will be drafted because of McNair, but I think that does a dis-service to Fisher. But with McNair now only with us for a year and no guarantee that he will re-sign after that I still think a QB is the most likely option.

Steed05
03.03.2006, 11:07 PM
A lot of people are saying that Young will be drafted because of McNair, but I think that does a dis-service to Fisher. But with McNair now only with us for a year and no guarantee that he will re-sign after that I still think a QB is the most likely option.

With the third pick of the 2006 draft the Titans select........

................Jay Cutler, QB Vanderbilt!! It is meant to be! ;)

I think the Titans will cripple thenselves if they select Young, he is too risky!!

gemma_d
03.03.2006, 11:09 PM

I think the Titans will cripple thenselves if they select Young, he is too risky!!

I agree - with both the assessment and the selection. Unfortunately though, it's not my decision!

Steed05
03.03.2006, 11:13 PM

I agree - with both the assessment and the selection. Unfortunately though, it's not my decision!

For what it is worth, which ain't much, I believe the Titans won't select Young. I believe they will pick Mario. Just a feeling. The guy has unlimited potential. Him and Vanden Bosch would scare the crap out of me if I was a QB!

danny17
04.03.2006, 08:32 AM
I dont think the Titans will pick Mario. We have already got KVB and La boy[no 1 draft pick] >:( on the ouside and Haynesworth and Starks. I still personally think and hope that the Titans wil draft Young. If Leinart dropped I would pick him but I would pick Young over Cutler. Cutler done an amazing job at the combine but I still think Young is better. Just look at his colledge carear.

Steed05
04.03.2006, 11:17 AM
I dont think the Titans will pick Mario. We have already got KVB and La boy[no 1 draft pick] >:( on the ouside and Haynesworth and Starks. I still personally think and hope that the Titans wil draft Young. If Leinart dropped I would pick him but I would pick Young over Cutler. Cutler done an amazing job at the combine but I still think Young is better. Just look at his colledge carear.

He was made for college, he isn't made for the NFL!

panther_77
04.03.2006, 07:32 PM

He was made for college, he isn't made for the NFL!
I'm still surprised that someone who scored a 6 on the Worderlic test can make it in any league whatsoever.

danny17
04.03.2006, 07:35 PM
And how do you know that he is not made for the NFL if he hasnt even played a NFL game >:( You could say that about anybody. Bush,Hawk and Leinart not made for the NFL but for college. I personally hope Young throws 25000+ yds now for any team.

Steed05
04.03.2006, 07:36 PM
And how do you know that if he hasnt even played a NFL game >:( You could say that about anybody. Bush,Hawk and Leinart not made for the NFL but for college. I personally hope Young throws 25000+ yds now for any team.

By looking at his game and the college game and the NFL and thinking he wouldn't be able to play like he does in college in the NFL. Quite simple really!

danny17
04.03.2006, 07:38 PM
Well we will wait and see in a few seasons

mitchyp23
04.03.2006, 07:57 PM
arite steed! kiwi at no 3

Steed05
04.03.2006, 07:59 PM
arite steed! kiwi at no 3

Aye, very nice!!! ::) :D

mitchyp23
04.03.2006, 08:00 PM
lets slap her steed ::)

mitchyp23
04.03.2006, 08:02 PM
calvin steven. remember that?
;D

Steed05
04.03.2006, 08:03 PM
calvin steven. remember that?
;D

Just to let you know, all these posts will be deleted!!! >:(

mitchyp23
04.03.2006, 08:06 PM
yea i know bt its worth it 2 gt u in a rager :'(

mitchyp23
04.03.2006, 08:10 PM
vince young for titans! happy now steed?

Steed05
04.03.2006, 08:12 PM
vince young for titans! happy now steed?

Yes, but you are wrong!!!

He is too risky and will not succeed in the NFL. You know my thoughts on this matter!! ;)

mitchyp23
04.03.2006, 08:22 PM
this is great by the way.

Flaming Thumbtack
04.03.2006, 08:47 PM
I'm sorry, but there is already a thread called "Insignificant morons: post here to avoid filling genuinely useful threads with your crap" so I suggest you go and post there. Oh wait... there isn't? Man I guess you're screwed then....

mitchyp23
04.03.2006, 08:51 PM
some1s a touchy doogie aint you. :'( Why dont u leave the house once in a while instead of sittin in front of ure pc doing naughty things to ureself!

Khaled
04.03.2006, 09:33 PM
some1s a touchy doogie aint you. :'( Why dont u leave the house once in a while instead of sittin in front of ure pc doing naughty things to ureself!

I would hazard a guess because its cold outside ... and also because if he goes outside then he doesnt get to have such exhilirating conversations with yourself.

But its just a guess.

The Titans should pass on Young. I won't go into my 'Volek to Bennett' speech but they have far more needs then a QB who won't be ready for the next two years if that.

What people discount in this guy is his horrible throwing motion and not very strong arm. Plus the fact he won't run for the kind of yards he did in college. Think of all the criticism Michael Vick takes (a lot of which he brings on himself). Then think Vick is a better runner and thrower of the ball then Young ... its scary to think how bad Young could be. I'm going out on a limb, but he has bust written all over him.

Screw getting a QB, cut McNair and give Volek a chance. Its not like you'll do anything next year so why not give Billy a chance?

I'm thinking the Titans are in prime position to draft down ... someone's going to take a chance on Young, just be the smart ones and don't be them guys.

gemma_d
04.03.2006, 09:38 PM

Suddenly the grass is starting to look so much greener...

mitchyp23
04.03.2006, 09:46 PM
Im happy if you're happy. To be honest though im not really sure if i understand your comment. Probably just me though.

gemma_d
04.03.2006, 10:18 PM
Jeff Fisher has said he has high expectations for running back Travis Henry.

He wants him to, ''Get in the best shape of his career as soon as possible, and stay in it, and work, and be committed to this program." He added, ''He really never got on track last year, so that's what we want to see. If he accomplishes things, then he'll be rewarded for it, and Travis knows, it was a very, very difficult year for Travis personally and professionally.''

It's worth remembering that in addition to his suspension, Henry missed most of the preseason with a turf toe injury and was bothered by an ankle injury for much of the season.

SteButt
04.03.2006, 10:23 PM

A case of "you don't know what you've got till it's gone"?

I am of course referring to McNair ;)

Hail Mary
04.03.2006, 10:23 PM
I'd reckon Volek deserves a shot, but the Titans would get less for him if they drafted Young first.

Hail Mary
04.03.2006, 10:24 PM

Speaking of which, any idea how many seasons McNair has left in him?

gemma_d
04.03.2006, 10:26 PM

He reckons another three seasons - certainly not impossible if he is able to stay free from injury.

Ravens52
04.03.2006, 10:26 PM

we miss you gemma :D

SteButt
04.03.2006, 10:28 PM

I dunno - he always seems to be on his last legs to me. I have to say though, I think McNair could be my favourite NFL player, he's just, well, great! But for the Titans he is getting old, and expensive....

gemma_d
04.03.2006, 10:30 PM

Well, I know for a fact that's not unanimous, but thank you!

Getting back on track...

Following Thursday's release of Brad Hopkins, Jeff Fisher has said that Michael Roos will be the team's left tackle going into 2006.

''Mike played exclusively at the left side at Eastern Washington,'' Fisher said. ''He's flip-flopped a little bit, but he's much more comfortable on the left.''

''During practice throughout the season we asked him to go over to the left side and work, so he's more comfortable over there, and I don't have any problem with him playing over there.''

SteButt
04.03.2006, 10:32 PM

Getting back on track...

Following Thursday's release of Brad Hopkins, Jeff Fisher has said that Michael Roos will be the team's left tackle going into 2006.

''Mike played exclusively at the left side at Eastern Washington,'' Fisher said. ''He's flip-flopped a little bit, but he's much more comfortable on the left.''

''During practice throughout the season we asked him to go over to the left side and work, so he's more comfortable over there, and I don't have any problem with him playing over there.''

Don't worry, Labour is in power with less than 50% of teh vote, so unanimity is not key :)

Why would an offensive lineman wear flip-flops?

SteButt
04.03.2006, 10:33 PM

Getting back on track...

Don't worry, Labour is in power with less than 50% of the vote, so unanimity is not key :) In fact I'd love to know the last government that did get 50% - nobody in many years i imagine. ANYWAYS......

Steed05
04.03.2006, 10:36 PM

Getting back on track...

Don't worry, Labour is in power with less than 50% of teh vote, so unanimity is not key :)

LMAO, it does raise some issues! ;)

gemma_d
04.03.2006, 10:41 PM

Presumably for the same reason David Cameron does? On second thoughts, presumably not!

gemma_d
05.03.2006, 04:40 PM
Jeff Fisher has said that expects Daniel Loper and David Stewart to compete for the RT spot. He said, "with what we saw out of David towards the end of the season and the mobility and flexibility and the feet that Daniel have - we feel that between the two of them we will end up with a pretty good player." He also didn't rule out the possibility of Jacob Bell competing for the position, but thinks there's more of a chance that he will compete at the guard spot.

gemma_d
07.03.2006, 09:56 AM
When free agency finally starts the Titans will look at several areas to improve, but wide receiver is the one position where they will absolutely address a need. We need a veteran who can start and contribute immediately, not someone who will take time to learn and develop.

Drew Bennett is the only veteran receiver and will man one of the starting positions. The other starter’s name is unknown, because he’s not on the roster yet. The Titans drafted three rookie receivers last year, so they don’t need more youth at the position. The best of them, Brandon Jones, has to recover from an ACL injury, and can’t be counted on to start. The same is true for Tyrone Calico. He’s been with the Titans for three years, but they’ve been injury-riddled ones.

Free agency can also help at safety and linebacker. Other positions are also possibilities, but not priorities.

Thorn_TJ
07.03.2006, 02:27 PM
Who would you pick if you could? Also, don't you think Bobby Wade could fill the number 2 position?

gemma_d
07.03.2006, 02:40 PM
Also, don't you think Bobby Wade could fill the number 2 position?

Frankly, no! Maybe he could compete with Calico, Jones, Roby and Williams for playing time at the other WR roster spots. (That's actually is a pretty talented bunch for the 3rd/4th spots.) Whether we have 6 or 7 WR on the roster will determine if he stays or not (last year it was 5). Don't forget we also have O.J. Small (who was promoted from the practice squad in December and played in two games) on the roster. He’ll also be in the mix.

Who we get will largely be determined by any CBA agreement over the next 24 hours. If there's an uplift and we have some cap room to play with, I wouldn't mind seeing us make a play for Joe Jurevicius, assuming he's available. I've also always liked Shaun McDonald - I seem to remember him having a pretty good game when the Rams lost at the Giants last year.

Thorn_TJ
07.03.2006, 04:36 PM
Even with a increased cap I doubt we could afford Jurevicius even if he was interested.

gemma_d
07.03.2006, 05:35 PM
Even with a increased cap I doubt we could afford Jurevicius even if he was interested.

You did ask who would I pick if I could! Anyway, we shall see!

gemma_d
08.03.2006, 12:24 PM
The Titans will be scouring the free agent market and willing to bring in a new player to replace someone currently on the roster, especially if some top players are released in what Fisher called these "unusual" circumstances.

"You couldn't come off a 4-12 year and say we've got stars across the board," Fisher said. "We're going to try to create competition at every single position we can."

LazyManJackson
08.03.2006, 03:57 PM
Guys look, our roster is full of #2 receivers. We need a decent #1 receiver. I thought Givens would be a good option in free agency but still, if the Titans are going to improve next year, we need leadership, skill and a game on Sky Sports ;D

Flaming Thumbtack
08.03.2006, 03:58 PM
Guys look, our roster is full of #2 receivers. We need a decent #1 receiver. I thought Givens would be a good option in free agency but still, if the Titans are going to improve next year, we need leadership, skill and a game on Sky Sports ;D

But Givens is a #2 receiver... ???

LazyManJackson
08.03.2006, 04:07 PM
He's the only decent option in free agency. We can try to make some of our receivers mould into a #1 option such as Tyrone Calico, although he's got a long way to go yet

gemma_d
08.03.2006, 05:02 PM
Guys look, our roster is full of #2 receivers. We need a decent #1 receiver.

Drew Bennett is good enough to fill the #1 spot and he works well with both McNair and Volek. We won't be looking to replace him at #1. And whatever one may think of McNair he is a natural leader. I agree that a game on Sky would be nice, but I'm not sure how that will contribute to an improved performance next year!

LazyManJackson
08.03.2006, 10:50 PM
Gemma, I was only mucking around with the game on Sky Sports thing. ;)
Drew Bennet is a very good #2 option. However, watching him this year against some of the best corners in the league, he just didn't match up. The corners fazed him out of the games, I personally think he is missing the speed that is needed at #1. I ask any hardocre Titan fan out there, and they say that we need another decent reciever

gemma_d
09.03.2006, 08:00 PM
ask any hardocre Titan fan out there, and they say that we need another decent reciever

Isn't that what I just said?

When free agency finally starts the Titans will look at several areas to improve, but wide receiver is the one position where they will absolutely address a need. We need a veteran who can start and contribute immediately, not someone who will take time to learn and develop.

Sorry if I don't count as a "hardcore" fan.

gemma_d
09.03.2006, 10:30 PM
Floyd Reese said he talked to quarterback Steve McNair’s agent Bus Cook in general terms Wednesday, and that the two will talk more in the coming days to try to reach an agreement on an extension to lower his $23.4 million cap figure.

Even without a reduction in McNair's cap number the Titans now should have around $14-$16 million to spend in free agency.

“We don’t know all the rules that are going to be attached to whatever the agreement is. It’s going to take a few hours to figure that out,” Reese said. “But it takes us to a position to where we’ve kind of gone from the middle of the pack to closer to the top [in money to spend]. We’re thrilled with the fact that we’re kind of out of cap jail in one year.”

gemma_d
09.03.2006, 10:33 PM
Travis Henry's new deal with the Titans has him scheduled to make the league minimum in 2006, according to figures from the NFL Players Association.

In re-working his deal last week, Henry's scheduled base salary of $1 million for '06 was reduced to $545,000 in '06. He's scheduled to earn base salaries of $708,000 in '07, $871,000 in '08 and $1.03 million in '09.

gemma_d
09.03.2006, 10:34 PM
Tackle Brad Hopkins, released by the Titans last week, is already getting interest from other teams around the league.

Hopkins is scheduled to visit the Jets today, and has trips scheduled for Tampa Bay and Atlanta later in the week.

"I think (Brad) just wants to get into where he is going to be. We are certainly going to keep the Titans abreast to what is going on, and we'll see what happens,'' agent Mark Bartelstein said. "It is hard to find great left tackles, so (the interest) doesn't really surprise me.''

The Titans released Hopkins after he declined to accept the team's contract proposal. Hopkins was scheduled to earn $5.75 million combined in base salary and roster bonus in 2006, and the Titans offered him the league minimum for a player with his experience ($770,000).

Hopkins played in 194 games for the Titans from 1993-2005, including 188 starts. The Titans have said they're interested in re-signing Hopkins at a cheaper price if he's still available later in free agency.

"We have not severed the relationship with Brad. Brad wanted the opportunity to go out and look around,'' Titans General Manager Floyd Reese said last week. "If he can find a place that he feels good about financially and from a football standpoint, whether playtime or whatever, then he may not be here. If he can't find that, if he can't find something that suits him, then he may be back.''

gemma_d
09.03.2006, 10:39 PM
On the WR issue, Floyd Reese has never been a big spender in free agency so even with the new collective bargaining agreement in place it’s doubtful if Reese will go after a high-priced veteran.

Assuming he stays true to form, that probably lleaves out the big names such as Isaac Bruce, David Givens, Antonio Bryant, Antwaan Randle El, Keenan McCardell, and Koren Robinson.

Expect Reese to search for his man among the ranks of mid-level, mid-priced veterans. Skipping the restricted free agents for now, the following unrestricted guys might fit the team and also fit Reese’s budget.

Joe Jurevicius, Jabar Gaffney, and Quincy Morgan are a few possibilities. So are Patriots free agents Troy Brown and Andre Davis, and the Packers’ Rod Gardner and Antonio Chatman.

The Titans played against the first three last year and have already seen plenty of recent film on them, especially Gaffney. Tennessee receivers coach Ray Sherman, who previously had the same job with Green Bay, can give a great scouting report and the inside scoop on Chatman.

SteButt
09.03.2006, 10:51 PM
Some pretty hardcore articles there ;D

You'd have to think that the Titans would have offered more than the minimum to Hopkins if they were serious about keeping him. I'd imagine he'll be gone.

gemma_d
09.03.2006, 10:57 PM
You'd have to think that the Titans would have offered more than the minimum to Hopkins if they were serious about keeping him. I'd imagine he'll be gone.

Well yes, I'd imagine so too. I think Brad is well aware that he was cut purely because of the high cap number of his old contract and that it wasn't a reflection on his ability or worth, but I'd imagine he'll only return if there are no other takers.

Steed05
09.03.2006, 11:01 PM
If the Titans could get Jurevicius it would be a great pick up!

gemma_d
09.03.2006, 11:07 PM

Yes, I agree. On the other hand I suspect that on the back of last season his market value will be inflated above his true worth.

Steed05
09.03.2006, 11:15 PM

Yes, I agree. On the other hand I suspect that on the back of last season his market value will be inflated above his true worth.

I ain't so sure, you know! I think people will still be nervy about paying someone his age and for his production a big contract! I would be willing to pay over the odds for him!

gemma_d
10.03.2006, 11:59 AM
A Nashville judge dismissed assault and vandalism charges against Titans cornerback Pacman Jones on Monday.

The charges stemmed from an incident at the Club 615 nightclub last summer.

Club owner Robert Gaddy and his brother Lamar Woodson told Judge John P. Brown they had no desire to see the court follow through with the charges.

Both sides reached a resolution in December, however, details of the resolution have not been released.

gemma_d
11.03.2006, 05:26 PM
While running back Travis Henry re-signed with the Titans for the NFL minimum salary, running back Chris Brown is receiving a big salary increase.

After reaching benchmarks in his original contract with the Titans, signed in 2003, Brown's scheduled base salary for this year went from $460,000 to $1.55 million. He made $380,000 last
season.

Because Brown agreed to a four-year deal in 2003 instead of a three-year deal, an escalator clause was added to his contract that rewarded him for playing time and performance.

Brown led the Titans in rushing the past two seasons. He has 2,139 yards and 11 rushing touchdowns in his first three NFL seasons.

Defensive tackle Albert Haynesworth's big payoff is scheduled for next year. An escalator in his original contract changed his base salary from $803,334 in 2007 to $5.55 million. He is scheduled to make $646,251 this year.

On a smaller scale, defensive tackle Rien Long's 2006 scheduled base salary is now $712,000 instead of $460,000 because of an escalator clause.

gemma_d
11.03.2006, 05:27 PM
In the coming weeks, the Titans will get to know the top three quarterbacks in the 2006 NFL Draft a whole lot better.

They will watch Matt Leinart, Vince Young and Jay Cutler during their Pro Days at USC, Texas and Vanderbilt, and are in the process of setting up individual workouts for the trio.

"We'll be able to do some things the way that we do them,'' Titans General Manager Floyd Reese said of the individual workouts. "We'll see how well they do things, whether it's throwing on the run, throwing from the pocket or throwing from shotgun, or whatever it is you're trying to find out.

"But as important is just spending time with them. You can put them on a (chalk) board, talk football and see what they've been taught and what they understand and if that in fact has any correlation to anything you are doing.''

Vanderbilt's Pro Day is Friday, when Cutler will throw to receivers. At the NFL Combine in Indianapolis last month, Cutler was the only one of the three top quarterbacks to run and work out in front of coaches, scouts and executives. Texas Pro Day is March 22 and USC Pro Day is April 2.

The Titans have already spent some time with Cutler, who toured Baptist Sports Park a few months back. Offensive coordinator Norm Chow has spent some time with Leinart since the end of USC's season.

The Titans also have the option of inviting the players to Baptist Sports Park for a visit leading up to the April 29-30 draft.

"There's so much that goes into a quarterback other than just running a 40 and things like that,'' Reese said. "You are forced to spend a lot more time with them.''

gemma_d
12.03.2006, 12:33 PM
Jim Wyatt, of the Tennessean, reports the Tennessee Titans will visit with free agent LB David Thornton (Colts). He is expected to arrive in Nashville either Saturday evening, March 11 or Sunday, March 12.

danny17
12.03.2006, 01:22 PM
Sounds good. I wonder if Eric Moulds or Resse Caldwell will join us. Brandon Jones looked good but Calico is not made for the NFL. Lucky we have such great TEs.

SteButt
12.03.2006, 01:45 PM
In the coming weeks, the Titans will get to know the top three quarterbacks in the 2006 NFL Draft a whole lot better.

They will watch Matt Leinart, Vince Young and Jay Cutler during their Pro Days at USC, Texas and Vanderbilt, and are in the process of setting up individual workouts for the trio.

"We'll be able to do some things the way that we do them,'' Titans General Manager Floyd Reese said of the individual workouts. "We'll see how well they do things, whether it's throwing on the run, throwing from the pocket or throwing from shotgun, or whatever it is you're trying to find out.

"But as important is just spending time with them. You can put them on a (chalk) board, talk football and see what they've been taught and what they understand and if that in fact has any correlation to anything you are doing.''

Vanderbilt's Pro Day is Friday, when Cutler will throw to receivers. At the NFL Combine in Indianapolis last month, Cutler was the only one of the three top quarterbacks to run and work out in front of coaches, scouts and executives. Texas Pro Day is March 22 and USC Pro Day is April 2.

The Titans have already spent some time with Cutler, who toured Baptist Sports Park a few months back. Offensive coordinator Norm Chow has spent some time with Leinart since the end of USC's season.

The Titans also have the option of inviting the players to Baptist Sports Park for a visit leading up to the April 29-30 draft.

"There's so much that goes into a quarterback other than just running a 40 and things like that,'' Reese said. "You are forced to spend a lot more time with them.''

What will be interesting is if we manage to sign Brees, because then we will not be looking at Leinart - which potentially means he could wind up being a Titan - would you prefer Leinart or Young?

danny17
12.03.2006, 02:36 PM
Leinart
But I dont think we will so Young is good.

LazyManJackson
12.03.2006, 04:05 PM
Apart from the big 3, which other QB's are worth a mention.
Guys like Reggie Mcneil deserve a mention

Flaming Thumbtack
12.03.2006, 04:27 PM

Omar Jacobs is my favourite QB in the draft. I think that, given time, he could be a good NFL quarterback.

Crowder#52
12.03.2006, 04:46 PM

Charlie Whitehurst. Brodie Croyle.

danny17
12.03.2006, 05:07 PM
I was wondering if it was worth for the Titans to use their first pick on someone else and pick a decent QB in the second. How come Brodie Croyle and Omar Jacobs are rated solid prospects in the second round and Vince Young is rated boom or bust and is tipped for a first round pick. :-\

Flaming Thumbtack
12.03.2006, 05:21 PM
I was wondering if it was worth for the Titans to use their first pick on someone else and pick a decent QB in the second. How come Brodie Croyle and Omar Jacobs are rated solid prospects in the second round and Vince Young is rated boom or bust and is tipped for a first round pick. :-\

The main knock on Croyle is that he has a history of injuries, whereas the knock on Jacobs is that he played for Bowling Green in the MAC and so faced a lower standard of opposition (though this didn't matter so much for Roethlisbeger or Leftwich) as well as having a worse year last year than the year before due to injury. Young on the other hand just led Texas to a National Championship. I don't think any of them are ready to go in and take over a team right from the off, but based on their college experience perhaps people think that Young is most ready of the 3.

gemma_d
12.03.2006, 06:09 PM

In all honesty, if we're going to pick the player we most need right now, it would be D'Brickashaw Ferguson. If the whispers coming out of Nashville are true then that is starting to look distinctly likely.

That would give us an O-line of:

LT - d'Brick
LG - Pillar
C- Bell
RG - Olsen
RT - Roos

With that scenario we might start getting some decent production out of Chris Brown and Travis Henry.

danny17
12.03.2006, 06:39 PM
Yeah that sounds a decent line with Piller and Olson anchoring it. But I thought Fisher said Roos was the starting LB and Eumano starting C.

gemma_d
12.03.2006, 07:00 PM
Yeah that sounds a decent line with Piller and Olson anchoring it. But I thought Fisher said Roos was the starting LB and Eumano starting C.

Fisher has said that, but if we pick Ferguson, then he would be the 1st choice on the left. Amano would be the other possibility at C, but Jacob Bell was an interior lineman in college and he can play as well there as he can at RT. Moving Roos back to the right frees up Bell to take the Center.

gemma_d
12.03.2006, 09:19 PM
***Drums fingers and whistles as the talent pool dries up***

Wonder what our Front office is going to do with all that lovely cap space? No doubt sign some guys who were cut from other teams at the veteran minimum again.

gemma_d
13.03.2006, 09:36 AM
Mike Reiss, of the Boston Globe, reports the Tennessee Titans will meet with free agent WR David Givens (Patriots) Monday, March 13. Agent Brad Blank confirmed the visit.

Just maybe my pessimism is premature.

gemma_d
13.03.2006, 11:34 AM
These are the rumours in Nashville:

David Givens
David Thorton
Adam Vineteri
Kevin Mawae

"Somewhere over the Rainbow" springs to mind!!!

gemma_d
13.03.2006, 03:48 PM
Colt LB mulls offer from Titans

By Terry McCormick, tmccormick@nashvillecitypaper.com
March 13, 2006

The makeover of the Tennessee Titans officially began over the weekend with linebacker David Thornton of Indianapolis arriving in town Saturday evening for a visit with team coaches and officials Sunday.

Thornton, who is scheduled to leave Nashville this morning and visit with the Seattle Seahawks, was apparently sufficiently impressed with the Titans.

“David called me [Sunday] morning and said that he really liked the city as well as meeting with Jeff Fisher, Jim Schwartz and Dave McGinnis,” agent Brian Mackler said.

Negotiations between the two sides went on for a good part of Sunday and should continue today.

“We negotiated back and forth all day, and we’ll talk again in the morning,” Titans General Manager Floyd Reese said.

Thornton, who was key piece in the improvement of the Colts defense, apparently has a lucrative package to consider from Tennessee, which is looking to bolster its linebacking corps by adding speed.

Tennessee is losing a pair of linebackers to unrestricted free agency in Brad Kassell and Rocky Boiman.

If the Titans are able to bring Thornton on board, it could mean sliding Peter Sirmon, who handles most of the calls on defense, inside to the middle linebacker spot.

The Titans could be in the market to make additions at other positions as well.

Agent Brad Blank, who represents New England Patriots free agent wideout David Givens, has spoken with Reese, and the veteran wide receiver is scheduled to arrive in Nashville this morning. Givens spent Sunday visiting with the Titans’ AFC South rival, the Houston Texans.

“I spoke to Floyd [Sunday] morning, and I think there is some interest there,” Blank said. “I think that Tennessee could potentially be a good fit for him.”

Givens had 59 catches for the Patriots in 2005 and 56 receptions in 2004.

After losing Justin Hartwig on Sunday, the Titans might also address the center position in the free-agent market, as Reese has been talking with agent Mark Bartelstein about former New York Jets Pro Bowl center Kevin Mawae.

“Once we lost Justin, there were three or four centers we began to look at, and he was one of them on that list,” Reese said.

Tennessee could have plenty of competition for the veteran, including Miami, Philadelphia, Arizona and New Orleans.

Also, the Titans are still in the running to re-sign veteran Brad Hopkins, another Bartelstein client, who completed his free agent visits to the Jets, Tampa Bay and Atlanta.

According to Bartelstein, Hopkins should make a decision “in the next day or two.”

Colt_Ant
13.03.2006, 04:09 PM
http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/news/story?id=2366401

$4.5m a season? hey at least he gets to console himself with a big fat overpaid paycheck when his team gets beat by his former team twice a year :)

danny17
13.03.2006, 04:11 PM
Oh I do hope we sign Thornton. What a LB trio. Bulluck, Sirmoin and Thornton. I'm so bored of my mates boasting about their teams binging in new players. Would Reynaldo Hill be a starter at CB if no new player was signed or Woolfolk. Also dosent it get on your nerves when you look at items about who the Titans are looking at in FA. On one website they had one line and that was resigning Hopkins! What about Antonio Bryant as a WR. I would quite like to see Reese Caldwell as a Titan. :)

gemma_d
13.03.2006, 04:34 PM
All the talk at the moment is about David Givens, and it looks like it could well come down to whether we want to afford him or not. My gut feeling is that given that Reese has said that signing a WR is his priority in FA we will agree a contract with him. Although arguably not the greatest signing we could make it would at least shore up the WR slot for the time being.

I don't think CB is such an issue. Jones and Hill will be the starting CBs and Woolfolk will almost certainly stay as nickel back. I'd expect us to take another rookie CB through the draft to put pressure on Jones and Hill who can only improve in truth. I don't think there's any doubt though that Fisher sees them as his cornerbacks for the future.

Shoring up S is our next priority, and I wouldn't be surprised to see Tank Williams re-signed.

danny17
13.03.2006, 04:36 PM
1.Wasnt woolfolk a 1st round pick now behind a 7th rounder.ouch
2.I thought Givens resigned with the Patriots ???.

gemma_d
13.03.2006, 04:43 PM
2.I thought Givens resigned with the Patriots ???.

No, that was wrong information.

He's visiting Nashville today. He left Houston yesterday without a contract because the Texans couldn't afford him apparently.

There an article in today's Houston Chronicle:

http://www.chron.com/disp/story.mpl/sports/3718558.html

danny17
13.03.2006, 04:49 PM
This could be the start of a great year. :-\ :)

gemma_d
13.03.2006, 11:18 PM
Titans are bringing in Nick Greisen (LB Giants) - he's scheduled to arrive in Nashville late today (March 13). Presumably to potentially replace Boiman if he leaves.

gemma_d
14.03.2006, 09:32 AM
I've heard rumours that Steve McNair might agree a new deal to reduce his cap number cut on condition that the Titans pick Vince Young!

allthegiants
14.03.2006, 09:59 AM
Titans are bringing in Nick Greisen (LB Giants) - he's scheduled to arrive in Nashville late today (March 13). Presumably to potentially replace Boiman if he leaves.

:-[

If he is your starting MLB, your going to be struggling ;). He is a decent backup who works hard but has limited ability.

Groganfan
14.03.2006, 04:09 PM
Titans have announced a press conference for later this morning...looks like Mr Givens has signed :(

Phat_Pats
14.03.2006, 04:13 PM
He's a rat.

Hope he rots.

LazyManJackson
14.03.2006, 04:42 PM
The Titans will have an 11:00 am press conference to announce they have reached an agreement with former Patriots WR David Givens. Givens, 25, was New England’s second leading receiver last season with 59 catches for 738 yards and two touchdowns.

:D ;D :D ;D :D ;D :D ;D

danny17
14.03.2006, 05:23 PM
Yessssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssss ssssssss ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D. Again I am happy. Givens and Thornton in two days. Its like christmas.

svenson50
14.03.2006, 06:22 PM
and mawae as well!!!

danny17
14.03.2006, 06:25 PM
All together now, YESSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSS SSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSS SSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSS ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D.

LazyManJackson
14.03.2006, 07:37 PM
Chris Hope is visting the Titans today
:D ;D :D ;D :D ;D :D ;D :D ;D :D ;D

Tians09
14.03.2006, 09:11 PM
Hi,

I had to post on here about the great news for the Titans, 4 big signings for us that will help our team out. At last we are getting involved in the FA market, unlike other years spent in cap hell.

1. David Thornton - Five-year deal is worth more than $22 million with an $8 million signing bonus. ;D

2. David Givens - Contract details not realesed yet, but ;D

3. Kevin Mawae - Kevin Mawae agreed to a four-year, $13 million deal to join the Titans, but is awaiting contract language before signing it. ;D

and finally and by no means least:

4. KVB - $15 million in guaranteed money over the first three years of his new four-year deal.

I know he signed a while ago but hell he is a great player and was one, if not our best signing.

Finally Titans fans have something to look forward to.

;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D

SteButt
14.03.2006, 09:14 PM
Hi,

I had to post on here about the great news for the Titans, 4 big signings for us that will help our team out. At last we are getting involved in the FA market, unlike other years spent in cap hell.

1. David Thornton - Five-year deal is worth more than $22 million with an $8 million signing bonus. ;D

2. David Givens - Contract details not realesed yet, but ;D

3. Kevin Mawae - Kevin Mawae agreed to a four-year, $13 million deal to join the Titans, but is awaiting contract language before signing it. ;D

and finally and by no means least:

4. KVB - $15 million in guaranteed money over the first three years of his new four-year deal.

I know he signed a while ago but hell he is a great player and was one, if not our best signing.

Finally Titans fans have something to look forward to.

;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D

And possibly Matt Leinart too. Decent off season on the face of it.

gemma_d
14.03.2006, 09:17 PM
Well it looks like Leinart or Bush now. Even with McNair lobbying for him I don't think there's any possibility we'd pick Young ahead or Leinart. I still wouldn't be surprised if we went for Ferguson though.

SteButt
14.03.2006, 09:20 PM
Well it looks like Leinart or Bush now. Even with McNair lobbying for him I don't think there's any possibility we'd pick Young ahead or Leinart. I still wouldn't be surprised if we went for Ferguson though.

Surely, if Bush had gone, and somehow both Leinart & Ferguson were still available, you'd take Leinart?

gemma_d
14.03.2006, 09:23 PM
Surely, if Bush had gone, and somehow both Leinart & Ferguson were still available, you'd take Leinart?

I think it would very hard not to, to be honest. There is a lot of feeling amongst Titan fans that we shouldn't use our first round pick on a skill player, but turning down Leinart would be madness.

Having said that, the official Titans board is pretty divided on Leinart and Young, with quite a few wanting Ferguson. There's also a sizeable lobby for trading down.

Tians09
14.03.2006, 10:55 PM

I think it would very hard not to, to be honest. There is a lot of feeling amongst Titan fans that we shouldn't use our first round pick on a skill player, but turning down Leinart would be madness.

Having said that, the official Titans board is pretty divided on Leinart and Young, with quite a few wanting Ferguson. There's also a sizeable lobby for trading down.

Before the Titans made all these FA signings i thought we maybe should move down and fill a few more roster spots, but now i think we stay where we are and take the best QB left, i mean McNair isnt gonna be around for to much longer and i hope we wont get a pick like this again, i think they would be stupid to pass on one of the 3 great QB's in this years draft, and let them learn under McNair until he retires ir we cut him.

Just my 2c

danny17
15.03.2006, 07:59 AM
So Gemma our O line looks like this now;
LT-Roos
LG-Olson
C-Mawae
RG-Piller
RT-Bell?
Dont knowif i put Piller and Olson in right place. ???

gemma_d
15.03.2006, 10:45 AM
As things stand:

LT - Roos, LG - Piller, C - Mawae, RG - Olson/Bell, RT - Bell

I wouldn't be suprised if things change again though!

gemma_d
15.03.2006, 03:13 PM
Sirmon asks Titans for his release

March 15, 2006

Linebacker Peter Sirmon has asked the Tennessee Titans to release him from his contract, having his agent fax that request to General Manager Floyd Reese’s office Tuesday, The City Paper has learned.

Sirmon has one year remaining on his contract with a cap hit of $4.6 million, including a base of $2.4 million, the amount that would be saved if the Titans grant his request.

“I have enjoyed my time here in Tennessee, but with the uncertainty surrounding my situation with the Titans, I think it’s best to turn the page and move on with my career,” Sirmon said from Hawaii, where he is attending NFL Players Association meetings.

On Monday, the Titans acquired linebacker David Thornton of the Indianapolis Colts as an unrestricted free agent, signing him to a five-year, $22.5 million contract.

Thornton, who played mostly outside linebacker for the Colts, would likely be ticketed to start at Sirmon’s strongside linebacker spot. Sirmon said he has not received a clear answer from the Titans as to where or if he fits into their plans.

When asked how the signing of Thornton might affect Sirmon’s situation, Reese said Monday and again Tuesday that for now the Titans were OK with the roster the way it is. Reese also indicated he was open to having all the linebackers come to training camp and compete for their positions.

That group might be cluttered even more, as the Titans had free agent linebackers Kevin Bentley of Seattle and Nick Griesen of the New York Giants in for visits Tuesday.

There was the speculation that Sirmon could move to middle linebacker, since he is the player who calls the signals on the defense. However, in recent seasons, that player has seen less time on the field, as teams have used three wide receiver sets against the Titans, forcing them into a nickel package.

“I have no problem at all competing for a position, if it’s a true competition. I have complete confidence in my abilities to do so, but I also know how the business works sometimes if you’re the odd man out or you’re a player who is only on the field for 30 or 40 percent of the snaps,” Sirmon said.

By asking for his release now, Sirmon would be able to broker a better deal for himself elsewhere while free agency is still in the early stages. In general, the later a player is let go, the less money and less opportunity he can expect on the open market.

Since Sirmon is in the final year of his contract, he should have some trade value for the Titans, because there is no acceleration left on his 2006 salary cap figure. There existed the possibility the Titans might grant permission for Sirmon and agent Frank Bauer to find a potential trade partner rather than release him.

Gunther Cunningham, under whom Sirmon blossomed in the coach’s three seasons in Tennessee, is now the Kansas City Chiefs defensive coordinator. The Chiefs recently lost linebacker Scott Fujita in free agency.

Sirmon was originally a fourth-round pick of the Titans in 2000. He moved into the starting lineup in 2002 and enjoyed solid seasons in 2002 and 2003, even earning a new contract at the end of 2002 campaign when the St. Louis Rams showed interest in him as a restricted free agent.

Sirmon tore the ACL in his left knee in training camp in 2004 and missed the entire season. He returned last season, but the knee was not 100 percent and was bothered by other injuries as well.

gemma_d
15.03.2006, 03:15 PM
Titans General Manager Floyd Reese says he expects a decision from Steelers safety Chris Hope by the end of the week. Hope was in town yesterday and will make visits to Miami today and San Francisco tomorrow. "They gave me their word that they were indeed just going to make these three visits, they had a chance to make a lot more," Reese said. "At the end of it, they're going to make a decision." Most consider Hope an upgrade over safety Tank Williams, now an unrestricted free agent.

gemma_d
15.03.2006, 03:17 PM
The Titans yesterday entertained former Giants linebacker Nick Greisen and former Seattle linebacker Kevin Bentley and could sign them as well.

Already, in just the first few days of the free agency period, the team has upgraded the roster in the areas it felt needed to be addressed following last season's 4-12 mark. The Titans are faster at linebacker, more talented at receiver, and Mawae will bring some needed veteran leadership.

"We're going to be a better team, but where will that be? There is still a lot of work to do,'' Titans General Manager Floyd Reese said. "We have to see what happens with the draft. You have to keep in mind with the money we're spending, everybody else has the opportunity to do the same thing. And if we're fortunate enough to hit with these guys, who have been hand-selected to fit our scheme and to come in and help us and to benefit this team, then I think you'll see definite improvement.

"But just from an attitude and understanding and work-ethic standpoint, these guys are going to bring a bunch of that, which I think will be a giant help.''

danny17
15.03.2006, 03:56 PM
So Sirmoin wants to go. Wonder why. I didnt even think he was that good.

gemma_d
15.03.2006, 09:14 PM
Just one day after adding two free agents, the Titans have announced a 4pm press conference to announce more signings. That's 10pm our time of course.

danny17
15.03.2006, 09:16 PM
The Titans are really active this year. Its a great surprise. Just wonder who they will go for in the draft after the 1st pick now after all the signings.

danny17
15.03.2006, 09:33 PM
And they wont be going for a safety now we have got Hope. Hopefully are last year in rebuilding. 8)

LazyManJackson
17.03.2006, 04:51 PM
Matt Schaub anyone.
Apparantly, the Titans are looking at Matt as one of their options. Maybe get Matt, trade our #3 pick down, and get Mario Williams or Michael Huff or Winston Justice

deklin
17.03.2006, 05:56 PM
do you have a link for that source?

gemma_d
17.03.2006, 06:04 PM
do you have a link for that source?

Here:

http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/columns/story?columnist=smith_michael&id=2370929

LazyManJackson
17.03.2006, 06:07 PM
Thats the link I was talking about. ;D
So what do you guys think?

gemma_d
17.03.2006, 06:11 PM
According to the Tennessean, Floyd Reese has denied that he's spoken to the Falcons. However, if we could get him, I think that would be a pretty solid move.

LazyManJackson
17.03.2006, 06:16 PM
Yeh, I actually read that a day ago on gotitans, but some of them like the idea of Matt

danny17
17.03.2006, 07:00 PM
I dont see any point personally. If we were going to go for Schuarb then I would just stick with Volek. I want us to go for a QB in the draft. I mean the last few QBs drafted have looked good, Manning, Rothersberger, Smith, Frye. Why so much doubt with these QBs. ???

LazyManJackson
17.03.2006, 07:07 PM
You've gotta keep your options open
Apparently, Reese has doubts with all of them
Although, I still fell 80% sure we will sign a QB in the draft

gemma_d
18.03.2006, 09:35 AM
Titans | Team will visit with Ashworth
Fri, 17 Mar 2006 21:49:50 -0800

Jeff Darlington, of the Palm Beach Post, reports free agent OL Tom Ashworth (Patriots) will visit with the Tennessee Titans.

LazyManJackson
18.03.2006, 01:58 PM
Unofficial source here but.......

Ty Law is apparantly gonna visit Nashville, and check out the Titans ;D

Ashworth visit looks good as well ;D

danny17
18.03.2006, 02:21 PM
I'm not sure about Ty Law. I mean I thought Jones and Hill were doing well on their own and with vets in Hope and Thompson. I personally think Law is a has been and it would be a mistake for the Titans to chase him.

gemma_d
18.03.2006, 03:27 PM
The agent for veteran cornerback Ty Law, who played for the Jets last season, said the Titans are one of the teams his client would be interested in playing for next season.

The Seahawks and Chiefs are interested in Law, who had 10 interceptions last season and went to the Pro Bowl.

"Tennessee is a quality organization and they could use a quality corner. He would solidify what they've done in free agency,'' agent Carl Poston said. "Obviously the situation there is something we would look at if they need some help at the corner spot, and he could also play free safety.''

Law wouldn't come cheap. He's believed to be seeking a $10 million signing bonus.

http://www.tennessean.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?AID=/20060318/SPORTS01/603180369/1027

danny17
18.03.2006, 06:12 PM
10 million :o. Please Titans dont get him. What a waste of cap money. Stick with Hill and Jones. Please.

gemma_d
19.03.2006, 09:57 AM
10 million :o. Please Titans dont get him. What a waste of cap money. Stick with Hill and Jones. Please.

As things stand, we've still got quite a lot of cap space to play with. The issue is really, will we be able to get anyone better? Although he's coming towards the end of his career he would still be significant up-grade for us. If we could get three years out of him then it wouldn't be a waste of money, but there is obviously a debate about whether we could spend the money better elsewhere.

The FO has shown a particular strategy in bringing in experienced vets with leadership qualities to help bring on the younger players. Law obviously fits in with that strategy.

imported_coltsUK
19.03.2006, 10:22 AM
I really hope Ty "I Love Peyton Manning" Law doesnt end up in Tenn! He might have had his best years but he is still a good corner and I dont fancy him lining up against Manning and not coming away without a INT.

Im liking the improvements of the Titans this Off-Season a decent draft would stand them in good stead (sp?) for the 2006 season.

Do Titans think that you will be up there for the 2nd spot in the AFC South, below the Colts, obviosly ;)

gemma_d
19.03.2006, 12:42 PM
I don't think so, but I think 2007 we'll be in with a shout. I have to say though that I still think the Jags will topple the Colts this year!

danny17
19.03.2006, 01:15 PM
I think Law is a good corner, dont get me wrong. But i just dont want the Titans to get him. Last year he was slow, got fooled by most receivers and looked heavy. I would love us to have a vet CB but one that is cheaper and can back up Jones and Hill. 8)

Holywood
19.03.2006, 01:20 PM
I think Law is a good corner, dont get me wrong. But i just dont want the Titans to get him. Last year he was slow, got fooled by most receivers and looked heavy. I would love us to have a vet CB but one that is cheaper and can back up Jones and Hill. 8)
same here. Ty Law isnt as good as he once was.

gemma_d
19.03.2006, 02:43 PM
Some pieces missing in NFL Draft puzzle - Saints signing Brees could shake it up for Titans, others at top

By JIM WYATT
Staff Writer

The Titans shook up their roster last week by signing four free agents.

Then the Saints shook up the top of the NFL Draft by signing quarterback Drew Brees from the Chargers.

"That was pretty high on the Richter scale — I'd say it's a nine as far as how it impacted the draft,'' said Mike Detillier of M&D Draft Report and SaintsReport.com. "It definitely affects what the top teams are doing. … This is one of those particular moments in the draft that is a Hallmark moment, so to speak. It rearranges things pretty strongly.''

The Texans still have the No. 1 pick, the Saints No. 2, the Titans No. 3, the Jets No. 4 and the Packers No. 5. USC running back Reggie Bush and a trio of quarterbacks — Vince Young of Texas, Matt Leinart of USC and Jay Cutler of Vanderbilt — are still the top prospects.

Everything else is now a bit cloudier.

In need of a quarterback, the Saints were expected to grab Leinart when the draft begins on April 29 after the Texans took Bush. Then the Saints signed Brees, and suddenly their quarterback situation appears settled.

All indications are the Titans will take a quarterback with the No. 3 pick. Now they may have their choice of Leinart, Young or Cutler.

"If the Titans had their sights set on Matt Leinart, I think it increases them quite a bit," Detlillier said. "Of course, there is also that fear of the unknown.''

That fear for Titans General Manager Floyd Reese includes wondering which teams underneath the Titans in the draft may try to trade up to No. 2 and take a player he wants.

The same day the Saints signed Brees, another team looking for a quarterback got one as the Dolphins, who have the No. 16 pick, traded with the Vikings for Daunte Culpepper.

Then on Friday, the Jets traded with the Redskins for quarterback Patrick Ramsey, although it's unclear if Ramsey is the final answer to New York's QB question.

The Raiders, who have the No. 7 pick, are also interested in the quarterbacks, and may try to trade up to No. 2 or even No. 1.

"Until it settles, which probably won't be until our 15 minutes on the board, we'll have to be ready for all the options," Reese said. "It will probably be wild and woolly.''

The Texans and Saints have already floated the possibility of trading their pick. It's not out of the question that the Titans will try to move up, either.

"There is always going to be that possibility," Reese said.

Detillier said he thinks Cutler and Young could be affected the most negatively by events of the past week since the Saints and Dolphins have filled their needs at quarterback.

He said one of them could tumble like Aaron Rodgers, who some draft experts had going No. 1 last year. He fell all the way to the Packers at No. 24.

"I think Leinart was going to be the No. 2 or 3 no matter what, but I think there is a lot more uncertainty with Vince or Jay today than a week ago," Detillier said. "It could be a strange situation across the board.''

Detillier said he thinks the player who could benefit the most from the Brees signing is North
Carolina State defensive end
Mario Williams, who could conceivably become the second overall pick.

If the Saints aren't thinking of Williams, Detillier said they should pretend as if they are because he suspects a team like the Packers, who have the No. 5 pick, might want to move up and get him.

As for the Titans, they are in the process of getting even closer looks at Leinart, Young and Cutler.

Reese attended Vanderbilt Pro Day on Friday, is scheduled to see Young at Texas Pro Day on Wednesday and Leinart at USC Pro Day on April 2.

The Titans will also begin focusing more on their draft needs across the board and through the seventh round.

Thanks to their free agent signings last week — linebacker David Thornton, wide receiver David Givens, center Kevin Mawae and safety Chris Hope — some positions aren't as high priority as before.

"We didn't want to have to go into the draft trying to hit 10 different spots," Reese said.

"We thought we had hand-selected a group of guys that we thought if we could get one or two, we'd be in great shape. We've ended up with four.

"That's really cleared the way for the draft. Whether it's a need or whether it's the best player involved, I think we're going to have the freedom to hit all the bases.''

Tennessean (http://tennessean.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?AID=/20060319/SPORTS01/603190392/1027")

gemma_d
19.03.2006, 02:53 PM

The thing is, he never has been particularly quick - that's why I can't understand why so many people are saying he's lost pace. It's his positional awareness rather than speed that made him a great player.

Here is his profile from Scout.com, which although written last year is still a good assessment:

"Ty Law possesses average size and speed for a cornerback. He had been amazingly durable throughout his career, until suffering a broken foot in the 2004 season. He could be the ultimate coverage cornerback in the game today, though he is not the fastest and quickest player at the position. Utilizing his very good physical strength, technique, Law has displayed throughout his career to being as prepared and intelligent as any player at the position today. His coverage ability in man-to-man and zone are as solid as any player in recent memory. Law utilizes tremendous recognition skills to take chances, consistently making big plays while a member of the New England Patriots, something which many other good cornerbacks cannot claim. Law plays the ball extremely well in the air and has the closing ability when beaten. If healthy, Law can be expected to remain one of the top cornerbacks in the game today."

imported_coltsUK
19.03.2006, 04:55 PM
I don't think so, but I think 2007 we'll be in with a shout. I have to say though that I still think the Jags will topple the Colts this year!

I dont think they will, I think we should bwin it this year but it will be close. Maybe a game or two. It certainly will shake the division up this year if the Titans can make a go of things it will mean the Colts and Jags only get 2 'easy' wins in the division against the Texans.

Flaming Thumbtack
19.03.2006, 04:57 PM

I dont think they will, I think we should bwin it this year but it will be close. Maybe a game or two. It certainly will shake the division up this year if the Titans can make a go of things it will mean the Colts and Jags only get 2 'easy' wins in the division against the Texans.

Oh ho ho - how I hope saying this comes back and bites you hard in the future. There are no 'easy wins' especially in division games.

Crowder#52
19.03.2006, 05:05 PM
So surely it is all about Matt Leinart now?

gemma_d
19.03.2006, 05:48 PM
So surely it is all about Matt Leinart now?

It certainly seems to be looking that way!

gemma_d
19.03.2006, 06:02 PM
Latest rumours from Nashville are that Chow wants Cutler, Reese wants Young and Fisher wants Leinart. What price our trading down with the Jets so they can pick Leinart and we take Cutler? Of course this could all just be smoke and mirrors...!

danny17
19.03.2006, 06:25 PM
Latest rumours from Nashville are that Chow wants Cutler, Reese wants Young and Fisher wants Leinart. What price our trading down with the Jets so they can pick Leinart and we take Cutler? Of course this could all just be smoke and mirrors...!

Intresting. If the rumours were true you would have thought Chow would have loved the chance of having Leinart. I still think Young would be the best choice but that is just my opinion.

gemma_d
20.03.2006, 10:02 AM
John Zernhelt, an assistant coach with the New York Jets last season, is the new tight ends coach for the Titans. He replaces George Henshaw, whose contract was not renewed after nine seasons with the franchise.

gemma_d
20.03.2006, 10:03 AM
Reynaldo Hill is recuperating from surgery to correct a groin injury which occurred during the season. He’s expected to be able to participate in offseason training and activities. Hill was also awarded a bonus of $178,000 as part of the NFL’s performance-based pay program. The bonus is typically awarded to rookies drafted in the lower rounds who outperformed expectations. Hill was a seventh-round draft pick and the 26th cornerback selected in the 2005 draft. He started 10 games and had three interceptions and a touchdown last year.

gemma_d
20.03.2006, 10:04 AM
The Titans have 74 consecutive sellouts since the Coliseum opened in 1999. Tickets for the 2006 season are also sold out and there is still a waiting list of at least several years for season tickets.

gemma_d
20.03.2006, 10:05 AM
Cornerback Pacman Jones is now married and the father of a child. His daughter, Zaniyah Christine Jones, was born February 22 in Atlanta.

Pacman’s agent, Michael Huyghue, also says Pacman has parted ways with his entourage/posse. Titans fans recall that his posse was present in two incidents which led to police and legal action last summer and some fans blame the posse for Pacman’s off-field problems. Jeff Fisher said some good things about Pac, who is reporting early for offseason work.

In one of those incidents, assault and vandalism charges against Pacman have been dismissed after the two men who pressed charges told a judge they no longer wished for the case to continue. The good thing about this for Titans fans is that Jones won’t miss any playing time by having to do prison time. Pacman is also on probation in West Virginia and could have been found in violation of probation there if he had pled or been found guilty on the charges here.

Colt_Ant
20.03.2006, 10:11 AM

Oh ho ho - how I hope saying this comes back and bites you hard in the future. There are no 'easy wins' especially in division games.

*shrugs* with us winning 11 out of the last 12 division games i beg to differ

gemma_d
20.03.2006, 10:11 AM
Great article in the Boston Globe about why David Givens joined the Titans. It seems that we can thank Eddie George for reminding him that the Titans are the Oiler's heir and not the Texans!

You can read all about it here (http://www.boston.com/sports/football/patriots/articles/2006/03/16/inside_the_givens_talks/?page=1").

gemma_d
20.03.2006, 10:20 AM

And yet yet only two years ago it could have been us saying we'd dominated an "easy" division 10-2, including 6-0 the year before. Thankfully the NFL isn't like soccer and nothing is certain one year to the next. I daresay you will win the division next year if your key players stay fit, but please don't be so confident to assume that any game is a foregone conclusion!

Colt_Ant
20.03.2006, 12:34 PM

And yet yet only two years ago it could have been us saying we'd dominated an "easy" division 10-2, including 6-0 the year before. Thankfully the NFL isn't like soccer and nothing is certain one year to the next. I daresay you will win the division next year if your key players stay fit, but please don't be so confident to assume that any game is a foregone conclusion!

Hey with you playing a Kick/Punt returner whose only talent is getting the other team 30 yards in penalties at Corner..whats his name..puffman, puff daddy...i dont know some funny nickname against the colts...There's always yards for our Wideouts......Wayne>P diddy(or whatever his name is)

No not any game is a forgone conclusion ..just the ones against Houston and Tenessee. and yeah you did used to dominate us before your cap hell and blowing up of your team and the aging of your best players.

Our best players haven't aged and we havent got into cap hell and had to blow our team up..and nothing Tennessee and houston have done has convinced me theres anything other then 4 wins for us next season.

Jax will be a difficult game as always, Ten are a couple of years from challenging us and thats a stretch since your going to have to develop a rookie QB in the near future.....and well just ask Alex Smith how freeney and Co take care of Rookie QB's..and he was playing on a team with a better record than yours last season...

why David Givens joined the Titans

If that article says anything other then Tenesee were the only team stupid enough to give him $25 million (even the Texans wouldn't) its a lie ;)

gemma_d
20.03.2006, 05:15 PM
Ten are a couple of years from challenging us

What will happen next year if Manning gets an injury in pre-season and is out for the year? It could happen - every team is fragile to some extent, never forget that.

When our time comes round again, and you can be sure it will, even if it takes two years or more, I hope we will be gracious in victory and won't feel the need to resort to pathetic pre-adolescent name-calling and insults.

gemma_d
20.03.2006, 05:21 PM
If that article says anything other then Tenesee were the only team stupid enough to give him $25 million (even the Texans wouldn't) its a lie

It's called having a strategy. I know that's a very grown-up word, but if you go and look it up in a dictionary I'm sure you'll soon master it.

There is a lot of jealousy about because of the fact we managed our cap "hell" in such a way that we can pretty much pay what we like for the players we want this year. Do you really think that other teams wouldn't pay as much if they had cap room to do so?

gemma_d
20.03.2006, 05:36 PM
Fox Sports lists the Titans as the top team in free agency, along with the Browns and Rams, here (http://msn.foxsports.com/nfl/story/5427756").

"Floyd Reese got the ball rolling with Thornton and the great moves kept coming. New center Kevin Mawae adds a mean-streak and a veteran presence to the offensive line. David Givens is a very reliable and big-game-tested receiver to team with Drew Bennett and the Titans' young wide outs. And the versatile safety Chris Hope instantly gives the young defensive backfield a jolt of talent and professionalism. Hope told me it is his job to make Adam Jones "get what it is all about." Hope and Givens have Super Bowl rings while Mawae and Thornton have been in championship games. That type of playoff experience is invaluable for the Titans."

As I said, our FA approach was built around a particular strategy and it's good to see it being recognised as a success.

Colt_Ant
20.03.2006, 05:48 PM

What will happen next year if Manning gets an injury in pre-season and is out for the year? It could happen - every team is fragile to some extent, never forget that.

When our time comes round again, and you can be sure it will, even if it takes two years or more, I hope we will be gracious in victory and won't feel the need to resort to pathetic pre-adolescent name-calling and insults.

Grow up little boy.

Name Calling ...where? I was only making a mockery of that you "Name Call" a player of your own considering his name is Adam Jones..yet the Titans list it as Pacman Jones..plus he isn't really very good..well not as good as he thinks he is or as his mouth would have us believe;)

oh and 128 straight starts...Manning's not going anywhere! :)

It's called having a strategy. I know that's a very grown-up word, but if you go and look it up in a dictionary I'm sure you'll soon master it.

Overpaying a WR whose never caught more than 60 balls a season never got over 870 yards a season and averages 3td's a season ..is no strategy....

And.."little boy" ..Pot ..kettle ... and black spring to mind.....

gemma_d
20.03.2006, 05:50 PM

Do they indeed? Well I daresay we could exchange insults for a year and a day if we wanted to, but honestly I have better things to do with my time.

Groganfan
20.03.2006, 05:57 PM

Grow up little boy.

Name Calling ...where? I was only making a mockery of that you "Name Call" a player of your own considering his name is Adam Jones..yet the Titans list it as Pacman Jones..plus he isn't really very good..well not as good as he thinks he is or as his mouth would have us believe;)

oh and 128 straight starts...Manning's not going anywhere! :)

Overpaying a WR whose never caught more than 60 balls a season never got over 870 yards a season and averages 3td's a season ..is no strategy....

Givens stats are misleading largely because the Pat O works on spreading the ball around. He is a far better receiver than the stats suggest.

gemma_d
20.03.2006, 06:13 PM
Former Patriots offensive tackle Tom Ashworth will reportedly meet with the Titans this week.

The St. Petersburg Times reports Ashworth will visit the Titans and the Texans. He has already visited with the Bucs and Dolphins. The Times reports the Bucs remain interested, while the Dolphins are no longer pursuing Ashworth.

Ashworth started 30 games and played in seven others for the Patriots. The former Colorado standout started 11 games in 2005.

Ashworth could provide a veteran option as the Titans begin the process of changing out both tackles in 2006. Michael Roos will takeover for Brad Hopkins, a salary cap casualty.

gemma_d
20.03.2006, 06:14 PM
Safety Tank Williams remains an unsigned free agent one week into free agency.

Williams became an unrestricted free agent when the Titans failed to offer the former second-round draft pick a new deal. Williams' chances to return to Nashville grew more remote last week when the Titans signed Pittsburgh safety Chris Hope.

''We are currently evaluating the market to see where we're at,'' Agent Michael Sullivan told the Nashville City Paper. ''He was not expecting to return to Tennessee, so the Hope signing really didn't mean anything to us.''

Williams struggled to return from a serious knee injury in 2005. He began to look more like his old self late in the season. Still, the Titans wanted to add more speed and coverage abilities at safety after struggling at the position.

Sullivan told the City Paper that Williams has yet to schedule a visit. The first wave of safety signings, including Hope and Lawyer Milloy, appears complete.

gemma_d
20.03.2006, 06:15 PM
As expected, the Titans' free agent rush slowed Thursday, but General Manager Floyd Reese said the team remains interested in linebackers Nick Greisen and Kevin Bentley.

''I don't think they are done with their trips,'' Reese told the Tennessean. ''Now if they decide not to and want to negotiate, we can.''

Griesen and Bentley would help provide veteran depth to the linebacker corp. Rocky Boiman and Brad Kassell both are unrestricted free agents and the Titans have not made a move to re-sign either yet.

Meantime, the Bengals will entertain Boiman Friday. Boiman played at Cincinnati's St. Xavier High School.

gemma_d
20.03.2006, 06:16 PM
One of the newest Titans, Kevin Mawae, and a former Titan, Kevin Carter, were among the players voted to the NFLPA Executive Committee Wednesday.

Some 75 player representatives re-elected Mawae to the Players Association leadership position. Mawae agreed to terms on a deal with Tennessee Tuesday.

Carter, a player that spoke highly of the Titans to Mawae, was elected for his first term on the executive committee.

Players re-elected Buffalo defensive back Troy Vincent as president of the NFL players' union during voting in Hawaii.

gemma_d
20.03.2006, 06:21 PM
Titans plan on getting to know Cutler

By Terry McCormick, Nashville City Paper

March 20, 2006

The Tennessee Titans already know Vanderbilt’s Jay Cutler quite well.

Today, they will get to know the quarterback even a little bit better.

Cutler, whom the Titans coached at the Senior Bowl in January, watched at the NFL Combine in February and assessed Friday at his Pro Day workout, will spend today with the Titans coaches and staff in a get-to-know interview where the sides can get together and talk football and further evaluate the Commodore star.

“He’s going to come over to the facility on Monday, and we’re going to spend the entire day with him Monday,” said Titans General Manager Floyd Reese, whose responsibility it is to decide what direction the team goes with the No. 3 overall pick.

Of course, Cutler won’t be the only player addressed and assessed over the next few days. It’s just that being so close by, there is much easier access.

The Titans staff will head to Texas on Wednesday to watch Longhorns quarterback Vince Young and begin the process of getting to know him better. Young is actually the most unknown of the three to the Titans, simply because of proximity of Cutler and the connection of Southern Cal’s Matt Leinart to Titans offensive coordinator Norm Chow.

Leinart’s turn with the Titans comes next week when the staff leaves for Southern California to begin extensive evaluations of him.

Cutler showed plenty of zip in Friday’s pro day workout, throwing the football to fellow NFL hopefuls Erik Davis and Dustin Dunning, as well as former Commodore Brandon Smith. Cutler impressed despite temperatures in the 40s and a steady breeze testing him.

“It was cold, and the ball was real hard. But it was fun. There’s been a lot of anticipation up to this point. But now I can just relax and start working out again,” Cutler said.

Titans officials, which numbered not only Reese, but also director of scouting Mike Ackerley, pro personnel director Rich Snead, Chow and quarterbacks coach Craig Johnson, were sufficiently impress.

“I just wanted to see him on a day like today with it being a little bit colder than it was down there in Mobile have the same type of day and make all the throws that are necessary to make,” Johnson said.

The main question regarding the Titans and Cutler is whether or not they value him the same way many suspect they do Leinart or Young in that No. 3 spot.

“I don’t think there’s any question [he’s in that class],” Chow said, “but I think we’ll find out more about it as we take a look at the others.”

Added Reese: “I think it depends on which club you talk to. There are 32 clubs, and I think they all have different ideas. But I can’t imagine too many quarterbacks performing better than he did [Friday].”

gemma_d
20.03.2006, 06:23 PM
A report that New England Patriots offensive lineman Tom Ashworth would be visiting the Titans is apparently inaccurate. “I talked with Floyd Thursday, but we don’t have any visits planned,” agent Tom Mills said. “I think he wants to let his young guys [David Stewart, Daniel Loper] have a chance at right tackle.” Ashworth has visited Tampa Bay, the New York Jets and Miami, with trips to Seattle and Houston upcoming.

gemma_d
20.03.2006, 06:23 PM
Titans General Manager Floyd Reese said he would not get into a public discussion of linebacker Peter Sirmon's request to be released.

Sirmon's agent faxed Reese a letter Tuesday as the linebacker attended the NFL Players Association meeting in Hawaii. Sirmon requested, because of the uncertainty surrounding his future, his release.

''We don’t make it our habit to discuss relationships with players in the press, but we will sit down when he’s back in town at the right time and have a face-to-face with Peter,'' Reese said.

Meantime, Reese said the Titans free agency fury over the week, signing four players, will likely slow with significant upgrades made to the roster.

Reese said the additions of David Thornton, David Givens, Kevin Mawae and Chris Hope show a committment to winning from Titans Owner Bud Adams.

''It’s easy for me to sit up here, and it’s easy for me to negotiate the contracts,'' Reese said. ''But the cold, hard truth is the boss is the guy that’s putting the rubber where it meets the road. We can do nothing but certainly be pleased with his commitment.''

gemma_d
20.03.2006, 10:07 PM
Name Calling ...where? I was only making a mockery of that you "Name Call" a player of your own considering his name is Adam Jones..yet the Titans list it as Pacman Jones

For anyone who doesn't know, Jones lost his father when he was four, and he was raised by his mother, Deborah, along with his grandmother, Christine Jones, for most of his life. He credits them with being the primary reason he was not overcome by his tragic and violent childhood surroundings (he was brought up in the ghetto of College Park, Ga.) But when he was a freshman in college, his grandmother died of cancer. Pacman missed a game to attend the funeral – the only game he missed in his three-year college career. On the day he was drafted by the Titans, he wore a T-shirt with her picture.

“Pacman” is the name his grandmother use to call him as a child, and he adopted it on her death.

Later in college, another one of his close mentors, high school PE teacher Libby Sobleskie, also died due to cancer.

THE_DUDE
21.03.2006, 07:18 AM
Looks like the way is now clear for the Titans to draft Leinart with the Saints getting Brees and the Jets won't be looking to trade up any more cos of Ramsey. So only a Saints/Raiders trade will stop you getting the best QB in the draft.

gemma_d
21.03.2006, 10:29 PM
Sirmon feels better about future after meeting with Reese

March 21, 2006

Peter Sirmon said Monday’s face-to-face meeting with Tennessee Titans General Manager Floyd Reese went well, and both sides will let the situation play out a little bit before planning their next moves.

Sirmon had asked for his release from the team last week after the Titans signed free agent linebacker David Thornton. That move left Sirmon unclear and unable to find answers as to what his role with the team might be in 2006.

“We met, and I think he understands where I’m coming from a little bit better, and I understand his position a little better,” Sirmon said. “I think my agent [Frank Bauer] and Floyd are going to talk this week, and we’ll see what happens.”

Sirmon currently has a $2.4 million base salary in the final year of his contract and knows that cap number could put him on the chopping block in training camp, if the Titans need to create salary cap room at another position.

“I definitely would like to be here and on this roster, if all things are equal,” Sirmon said. “But it’s still a little precarious right now. When it gets to training camp, and they have to start taking a hard look at the numbers rather than the person or what the coaching staff wants, that could be a problem.”

Sirmon, who took part in the team’s first off-season workout Monday, said the subject of him moving to middle linebacker was discussed briefly.

http://nashvillecitypaper.com/index.cfm?section=7&screen=news&news_id=48645

imported_coltsUK
21.03.2006, 11:15 PM
Dont get me wrong no games are easy hence why i put them in ' marks!

What I was sayin was we should win them.

Holywood
22.03.2006, 03:29 PM

We're going to beat the hell outta the Colts this season. (Not that that comment has any relevance).

Colt_Ant
22.03.2006, 03:36 PM

We're going to beat the hell outta the Colts this season. (Not that that comment has any relevance).

but you say that every season...

Holywood
22.03.2006, 03:50 PM

Yup!

This time it will ring true though.

imported_coltsUK
22.03.2006, 05:07 PM

Yup!

This time it will ring true though.

hahahahahahahaha you should do stand up!