PDA

View Full Version : Why the Saints?

IrishTexan
25.09.2010, 06:40 PM
Why do you support the Saints?
Im not a Saints fan although I do really like them for what they've been through
I really Drew Brees and Sean Payton especially now after reading their books
Also, I might be going to NO for the Saints-Steelers game, how is NO for family?

celtic saints
26.09.2010, 02:48 AM
The question should be -

"Why not the Saints"
-

marcseven
26.09.2010, 02:49 PM
The question should be -

"Why not the Saints"
-

I can think of about 30 years worth of reasons why not for most people.

For me it was an introduction of New Orleans at an early age by my dad taking me to see the Preservation Hall jazz band in the late 70's, when the NFL started being shown here i used to check on the Jets (having NY connects) and and the Saints, then when the Saints had their first real success in 87 I firmed my allegiance, and sealed it when the vikings booted us out of the playoffs Jan 3 1988. The fans didn't care about losing they were just happy about getting that far, it struck a chord and boom here i am today.

lancastersaint
26.09.2010, 05:37 PM
simply because i support st helens rugby league....it was only natural to pick a team called the saints:D

jthorn
27.09.2010, 10:59 AM
In 1995 I went travelling round various cities in the States. Whilst in NO I went to look at the stadium, as it is quite close to the city centre.

When I became interested in the NFL I chose the Saints because of the visit to the stadium, and also because of the great memories I had from my time in the Big Easy.

10 years worth of never being able to see them on the tv followed, but it turned out well in the end...

DarrenSQh
30.09.2010, 10:24 AM
I started during the 05 season. Although the Falcons game in 06 with the blocked punt and the emotion of the dome sealed me as a saints fan.

Having now been over to Nola I love the place and hope to go back as much as possible.

saintsno1
30.09.2010, 10:36 AM
I supported the saints since 2005 till present just the passion the fans give to team not matter with the result on the day.

I'm going in december to see them.

zoffy
14.12.2010, 02:37 AM
Simple for me. I never really understood American football until last year. I wathced some stuff online and quickly got into it and understood the rules etc, just in time to watch the NFC chamionship game last season. I supported the Saints in that game and the rest is history. I guess its lucky I started supporting them when they had the two bigest games in their history. Glory supporter or what!? Enjoying my first full season as a saints fan, with my Brees jersey on every weekend.

SaintAxel
14.12.2010, 05:25 PM
Although I never visited the States (I plan to do a road trip across the states, coast to coast as soon as I have the money), I am passionate about the South and the Southern Culture (cooking, etc...), so when I started to follow American football it had to be a team from the South: So the Saints instead of other teams it is mainly because of the Jersey and Brees and Reggie and secondly because of the "french" culture of New Orleans (my first language is french).

stu_27
16.12.2010, 01:52 AM
was pretty simple for me,
had a Mate who was big on American Football, we watched a game at his,
was this season beginning actually. 49ers vs Saints, it was a pretty awesome game and very close, At the time knowing nothing about American Football but having really enjoyed the game, i decided i would support the Saints since A, they won and B, my old High School had Saint in it. So for better or worse I am now a Saints fan :)

duffweiser
23.12.2010, 09:07 AM
My first love was the Bengals because i liked the helmet and they are still my second team, however in the mid eighties it may even have been build up to the 85 superbowl , Channel 4 did a piece on the saints and the superdome , i loved the stadium , i loved the colours, i also felt bad for them in that up to that point they hadnt had a winning season, then when they first had a winning season the owner danced on the pitch with a saints Parasol which i thought was great , i thought that was the team for me and ive never looked back

SaintRookie
25.12.2010, 01:00 AM
Thanks for this thread OP, its an interesting question. Im new on the board, but not new to the game. I'm very passionate about the saints, they are a great team, why wouldnt I support them.

Supporting the saints just feels so right and so real. The team spirit is awesome, we have some great players, the fans are awesome too. The kit is just fantastic, its so golden and is a source of pride. The saints just stood out for me out of all the other teams, and I just gravitated towards the team. I plan one day to visit USA and watch a live saints game.

Arathrael
31.12.2010, 01:33 AM
I haven't replied to this thread before now because, to be honest, I'm not really sure why I support the Saints.

I started watching NFL when C4 was showing it back in the eighties, and I backed the Saints from the start. Everyone else I knew was a 49ers fan or a Bears fan (apart from my Dad, who's a Vikings fan). But I watched a Saints game - it might have been against the 49ers, I can't remember for sure - which they lost. But they did it in style and with spirit, and ever since, I've supported the Saints.

But I can't tell you why I did. Maybe I just wanted to be different and root for the underdog (I don't think it was that), maybe I loved the style of play and the passion of the fans despite the lack of success back then (maybe a bit of that). But whatever it was, the Saints were the team for me, and I can't imagine having gone any other way.

mikey3487
12.02.2011, 02:47 PM
I personally don't support one particular team, but I do have soft spots for certain teams. The Saints are one of them. Also one of my friend's has a Reggie Bush jersey :)

Glenos
03.09.2011, 01:41 PM
Well for me, I was watching the NFL on C4 and at first watched and liked the Raiders as they were one of the teams I'd kinda heard of and seen.

I went to a US sports store here in Derby (now closed) and went in to buy a jersey.
or t-shirt.

When I got to the shop I was confronted with a whole rack of jerseys, jackets and other gear. I always liked the idea of a Black jersey team.

While looking through the jackets pulled up a Raiders, a Steelers and Saints, and opted for the Saints as I liked the Logo and colours more.

So from there onwards have been a Saints fan, now that's some dedication, 1992 to present! Yeah there's been some very tough seasons, and the thought of Katrina wiping out N.O for good was heart breaking for me. So glad they are on the way back rebuilding the city.

Why didn't I pick the Steelers? I could be basking in the glory of several Superbowls! I'd not trade though I love the Saints.

I have been to NOLA 3 times to see games (all pre Katrina) and it rocks, but costs you an arm and a leg to go.

Went to the Wembley game in 2008, met Sean Payton, and a few players stopped and signed my program.

Have regular NFL nights at my place with a few like minded people (only one off them is not a Saints supporter, he's a 'fin's fan), Projector, fries, wings beer and plenty of Mondays booked off!

Looking to maybe take a trip out to N.O next year, if anybody is interested let me know maybe we could hook up.

timeisup
06.09.2011, 09:33 PM
have been a Saints fan since the 80's the Dome Patrol were the best set of linebackers i have ever seen shame we did not have the offence to go with them

lilb
15.09.2011, 07:30 PM
Became a Saints fan in '06 just after Katrina when they seemed to get a lot of air time and as there was nothing else on on a Sunday evening I fell in love with NFL. Loved all the attention that Reggie got despite his lack of production and as the first team I watched it had to be them that I support for the rest of my life!

the_walrus
16.09.2011, 12:43 PM
I converted because I found myself looking forward to watching the saints more than the team I'd been a "fan" of since I was a little kid. They're just such a brilliant team to watch. NoLa is a great place that I'm really looking forward to visiting, love the uniforms, the logo the sotires about paper bag masks and the stadium being exorcized, the symbol they becam after Katrina.

There's really nothing I don't love about the saints, past and present.

WhoDatMonkey87
16.09.2011, 08:28 PM
I'd been through a coupla teams before I became a Saints fan.
Got into the NFL around 06/07. I was drawn to the Cowboys as at time. I'm a huge fan of everything South in the US and at the the time if I remember correctly, T.O. was having an exciting season.
Didn't really get the rules at the time so sorta lost interest towards the end of that o season.

Year or so back found out a friend at work was into the NFL and we got talking and I started watching again. Neither of us knew who to support, but my mate had the idea to support the team who won the Superbowl the year we were born. So I end up a sort of Giants fan.
Got myself a jersey and tuned into games whenever I could, but it never felt right. The team didn't fit for me.

So in the off season with all the CBA stuff going down I got to checking out a few NFL teams.
It had to be a Southern team for me, and it was a toss up between the Texans and the Falcons, with the Saints being a maybe. But after watching the season opening game against those cheese heads (!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!) I knew who my team was.
Sure, we didn't win, but so what? To me, it was exciting football and it clicked with me.
Then I had a sign from the NFL Gods and I knew the Saints were my team :D

Man, have I rambled on some
anyways
WHO DAT SAYIN DEY GONNA BEAT DEM SAINTS?
Bring it on Bears

southern_winter
24.09.2011, 10:56 PM
I'm pretty new to the NFL and only got into a couple years ago. Not one person in my family is into sports so it wasn't til I met a new person on facebook from Louisiana who had been a lifelong fan and was constantly talking about them that I really heard anything about football. I didn't really pay too much attention til I was flying back to the UK from the Middle East where my family live after the holidays and in the line to get into the gate, there was a guy in front and one behind me. We didn't know each other and they didn't know each other either, but they both were from New Orleans! So they started talking to each other about football and I ended up talking to them the whole time before we boarded about football and I decided when I got home I would watch the first NFL game that was scheduled which happened to be the Saints! I got really into it then, and I caught the fever. Then I went to a super bowl party in London and the first people I saw were Saints fans and ended up spending the whole night and morning with them. I just keep randomly finding Saints fans! I guess it was fate! :D

moss022
03.10.2011, 04:42 PM
i always wanted to go to new orelans for mardi gras and when i got into the nfl it just seems like the logical team to support

Saint Paulo
13.10.2011, 09:27 AM
Hiya, I'm pretty new to the forum but I've been a fan of the NFL since about 2008. When I first got into the sport I thought that I'd probably end up being a Patriots fan as I've got family over in New England, but after watching them lose in the Superbowl that year I became less convinced. Then during the regular season of that year I watched a couple of games late night on channel five and the team that caught my eye was the saints. I then watched them play san diego at wembley on the TV and that was that really. Haven't looked back since!

karld
28.10.2011, 11:17 AM
I cant remember what year exactly, but it was early 2000's. I was over in Gran Canaria during a family holiday, and we were in some restaurant with live music. I didnt want to be there so i was watching this small tv which was playing some NFL game. I did know about american football then, but i knew it as madden (id only ever played the video games, hence i didnt have a team i supported). The TV was too small to see the names of each teams, but the two jersey colours were gold and purple (i would later discover it was a game between the Saints and Vikings).

I loved watching the match and started rooting for the gold team (thank god i didnt chose the other team!). Anyway the game was turned off because the place had a Blues Brothers dedication act playing on stage, so i never got to see the end of the game. But when i returned home i started to research the team more and ever since ive been a die-hard saints fan!

Its funny that my choice to support the saints also influenced the decision of a friend who decided to support the San Diego Chargers because they were playing the Saints in the wembley game. Ive never seen the Saints play in person, but i know one day soon ill be in the Superdome cheering on 'dem New Orleans Saints!!!

Packman12
28.10.2011, 11:22 AM
I cant remember what year exactly, but it was early 2000's. I was over in Gran Canaria during a family holiday, and we were in some restaurant with live music. I didnt want to be there so i was watching this small tv which was playing some NFL game. I did know about american football then, but i knew it as madden (id only ever played the video games, hence i didnt have a team i supported). The TV was too small to see the names of each teams, but the two jersey colours were gold and purple (i would later discover it was a game between the Saints and Vikings).

I loved watching the match and started rooting for the gold team (thank god i didnt chose the other team!). Anyway the game was turned off because the place had a Blues Brothers dedication act playing on stage, so i never got to see the end of the game. But when i returned home i started to research the team more and ever since ive been a die-hard saints fan!

Its funny that my choice to support the saints also influenced the decision of a friend who decided to support the San Diego Chargers because they were playing the Saints in the wembley game. Ive never seen the Saints play in person, but i know one day soon ill be in the Superdome cheering on 'dem New Orleans Saints!!!

You will love the Superdome! Amazing place! Amazing atmosphere!
Saw them destroy the Pats on MNF....Brees was awesome with 5 TD passes and the sound was amazing!

Great City, Stadium, Night life, Food, People, QB, Coach
thats all good.

The bad for me is you guys will be the reason we dont repeat this season!

karld
28.10.2011, 11:34 AM
You will love the Superdome! Amazing place! Amazing atmosphere!
Saw them destroy the Pats on MNF....Brees was awesome with 5 TD passes and the sound was amazing!

Great City, Stadium, Night life, Food, People, QB, Coach
thats all good.

The bad for me is you guys will be the reason we dont repeat this season!

I know, it gives me shivers just listening to the crowd on the TV, i cant imagine what its like to be there in person!

The main problem is that being a university student i dont have that much money. I might have to wait until i finish uni to go out to new orleans. Id also like to go and watch LSU when i visit.

Packman12
28.10.2011, 11:38 AM
I know, it gives me shivers just listening to the crowd on the TV, i cant imagine what its like to be there in person!

The main problem is that being a university student i dont have that much money. I might have to wait until i finish uni to go out to new orleans. Id also like to go and watch LSU when i visit.

Well mate I recommend both!

Saw LSU beat Arkansas in OT on the Saturday and the Pats at Saints on MNF was an awesome trip
did some games in Atlanta on same trip.......and the atmosphere in New Orleans is why i disparage the Falcons fans so much as they just arent in your league for passion.

Drew_Saints
29.12.2011, 02:11 PM
My reasons are quite pathetic really but it was the only common ground I could find when choosing my team:

My name is Drew (like Drew Brees).
My favourite drink is Southern comfort with ice (created in New Orleans).
It?s Laughable.

That said, I also like the look of the city (especially the French Quarter), all I need to do now is persuade the girlfriend to go on holiday there (which will be timed perfectly with a home game!)

WhoDatMonkey87
29.12.2011, 05:05 PM
My reasons are quite pathetic really but it was the only common ground I could find when choosing my team:

My name is Drew (like Drew Brees).
My favourite drink is Southern comfort with ice (created in New Orleans).
It?s Laughable.

That said, I also like the look of the city (especially the French Quarter), all I need to do now is persuade the girlfriend to go on holiday there (which will be timed perfectly with a home game!)

Haha same here dude. Let me know if you come up with a good way to do this

mattchew
29.12.2011, 09:02 PM
Looks like this thread has come back to life!

I have been drawn to New Orleans since 1976ish when a James Bond film featured there.
I only really got into football when , 8 or 9 years ago I worked with a guy who always seemed
to have a smoke break at the same time as me. He bored me stupid with woeful tales of
his turbulent love life. This guy wore a bears cap and to change the subject I would talk about
the NFL with him. Anyway it made sense to pick a team and New Orleans stood out for me and became
even more attractive when he told me how useless they were. This was a year before the 3-13 katrina
season and it looked like Haslett and Brooks were on the verge of being decent.
Sadly that storm and all the following upheaval put paid to that then Payton and Brees came to
town and the rest is history.
Since broadband replaced dial up it has become a lot easier to follow their fortunes via forums like
this and others stateside.
One day I will make the trip , although I'm a little worried I won't want to come home.

StephenQBNo9
22.01.2012, 08:05 PM
I picked the saints because I went to see the international series game between the Chargers and the Saints, and liked the way they played. And as it was a home game for the Saints it was all about them. Plus I like Brees style as a QB.

WhoDatMonkey87
22.01.2012, 10:12 PM
I picked the saints because I went to see the international series game between the Chargers and the Saints, and liked the way they played. And as it was a home game for the Saints it was all about them. Plus I like Brees style as a QB.

Good to have another brummie join the WHODAT Nation!

StephenQBNo9
24.01.2012, 09:30 AM
Local boys, me and WhoDatMonkey87! Did you go to that international game?

WhoDatMonkey87
24.01.2012, 10:35 AM
I did indeed. Got a coach from Birmingham, was quite a trek! What bout you?

StephenQBNo9
24.01.2012, 10:41 AM
Yeah i went, drove down and stayed over night, was a good game. Hoping to go this year. Hoping to head over to the Superdome at some point in the next 2 years

WhoDatMonkey87
24.01.2012, 07:40 PM
Yeah man me too. Gonna try get over this year, depending on money!!!

StephenQBNo9
24.01.2012, 08:24 PM
Yeah man me too. Gonna try get over this year, depending on money!!!

Yeah, its gonna take some saving up but i hope i can do it sometime. Would be amazing.

WhoDatMonkey87
25.01.2012, 08:33 PM
For sure, the atmosphere in there looks totally electric!
Need the schedule to get released before I can start planning it and getting time off work etc

StephenQBNo9
27.01.2012, 10:00 PM
Yeah got to plan this one in advance, will take some time. But will worth the wait hopefully. Just got to pick the right game.

Nogga
10.02.2012, 08:08 PM
I chose the Saints because they were the first NFL team that I watched. I liked the way they played and I think they won the game I watched first. That was in the 2009 season when the Saints went on to win Super Bowl XLIV, which was brilliant for my first Super Bowl, and I've been hooked since.

XLVI
01.05.2012, 09:02 PM
Had to be the Saints. On gamepass i could only watch one team subscription, and randomly chose the Saints. Now i would consider myself a saints Fan, a very early and still learning Saints fan, but none the less a fan.
Still new to the game though.

dodgy_d
21.01.2013, 11:15 AM
I grew up playing youth american football and was heavily into the Raiders!
But in 1997 I went to USA and ended up living and working in New Orleans!
Caught a game at the superdome against the chargers- it was after the dome patrol days sadly!
Was hooked then- Who dat?

DarrenSQh
21.01.2013, 01:36 PM
*bump*

as new thread was similar to this older one.

jstinchy
23.01.2013, 09:17 AM
I started watching the NFL in the '10 playoffs, and wanted the Saints to beat the Seahawks purely on the white uniforms! After they got eliminated I started following the Packers with them being the lowest seeded team in the playoffs. Then the season opener Saints @ Packers, everyone was writing the saints off, so I was rooting for them, that last drive, stopped at the death, I felt really disappointed. Then I just knew this was my team!!

dodgy_d
28.01.2013, 09:02 PM
MODs could you move this into the above thread?

AnthonyXYZ
13.02.2013, 12:19 PM
I started watching the NFL on and off the year after Katrina hit nola, It was difficult not to support the Saints.

I'm also a wolves fan here in the UK - the traditional colours of both teams are black and gold, that sealed the deal.

WhoDatNation
08.04.2013, 05:20 PM
I started supporting the Saints back in '87 when I first started following the NFL, our first winning season I believe. The irony of this is when I moved to Portsmouth in 1989 due to my dad changing jobs, being a Saints and Pompey supporter can be hard to explain to some people lol. Who Dat!

amarsh130782
11.06.2013, 08:47 PM
As a kid, i had a fleeting alliance to the New York Giants when my dad watched the channel 4 coverage back in the early 90's, but i only rediscovered the NFL from 2007/8 season when i was captivated by the cardinals run as underdogs to the superbowl. Being a southampton fc supporter, there was really only one choice for my team. Its somewhat strange that both my football and american football teams seem to suffer the same types of affliction, conceding points! and poor defense. Anyway, heres to 2013 season, i cant wait, only look at the nola news site maybe 5 times a day!!

neer911
12.06.2013, 12:16 AM
I'm probably the newest fan of the Saints on this thread - started watching American football the year after the Saints won the Superbowl. Funnily enough, I didn't know they were the defending champs while watching their first game - the loss to Green Bay (I used to watch the games on mute). Instantly loved the team even though they lost - only found out the were the defending champions 2 weeks later. Kinda felt like a glory hunter for a bit, but it doesn't matter I guess. American football is so competitive, there's never one true favourite for the Superbowl. Ever since that first game, I've been addicted to the sport. Watched every game since (Saints or not) and I even play it now.

glynners
19.08.2013, 04:02 PM
casually watched NFL for a few years without ever really picking a team but had a soft spot for the Saints. The place just looks so much fun.. and I enjoyed watching the lovable losers..., the crowd always seemed so pumped even though they where terrible.

When Katrina hit & it looked like they would be moved i felt so sorry for the fans and the area in general, how could the NFL possibly take away the only thing the city had left... it would have been a disgrace... then the homecoming game happened and the atmosphere (even just via tv) totally blew my mind. Shivers down spine time

That was it, I knew this was my team

EevilWeevil77
22.08.2013, 07:11 PM
Been following NFL on and off for a few years. Visited New Orleans a couple of years after Katrina and was taken by the people and the place......great culture. There could only be one NFL team to follow, started with the 2012 season and looking forward to 2013.

Geaux Saints!