View Full Version : whats happening with mcnabb

washingtonredskins1
08.11.2010, 02:15 PM
any 1 know?

citizenstu
08.11.2010, 04:36 PM
Who cares?

I've nothing against McNabb at all but

1. Most importantly only (probably) Snyder, Allen and (the) Shanahan(s) know if an offer is going to be tabled to McNabb and anything else is speculation.

2. Regardless of the above McNabb is most likely only ever going to be a stop gap to our long term solution at QB.

Be nice to have him for a couple of years yet and maybe with a couple of drafts etc we can fluke a decent playoff run in that time.

Assuming that's what you meant.

Otherwise I heard they've told him to either shave or grow a full beard - enough of that goatee nonsense.

my_friend_goo
08.11.2010, 10:24 PM
Yes, I do. But he asked me to keep it a secret, so I shan't tell. We're close like that.

washingtonredskins1
09.11.2010, 10:35 AM
Who cares?

I've nothing against McNabb at all but

1. Most importantly only (probably) Snyder, Allen and (the) Shanahan(s) know if an offer is going to be tabled to McNabb and anything else is speculation.

2. Regardless of the above McNabb is most likely only ever going to be a stop gap to our long term solution at QB.

Be nice to have him for a couple of years yet and maybe with a couple of drafts etc we can fluke a decent playoff run in that time.

Assuming that's what you meant.

Otherwise I heard they've told him to either shave or grow a full beard - enough of that goatee nonsense.

at the end of the day we must have a good quarter back and at the moment i dont think we have a consistent quarter back

citizenstu
09.11.2010, 12:56 PM
I don't see we've a better option than McNabb for this year. Come the end of the season we look for improvement in his understanding and execution of the playbook. If it's there, we should definately stick with him whilst looking for his successor. We then get 2/3 years of McNabb whilst developing his replacement.

The only potential problem is his replacement either becomes Aaron Rogers or Matt Leinart.

my_friend_goo
09.11.2010, 06:47 PM
Problem is, you'd expect a seasoned veteran like McNabb to have adjusted to the new scheme by now. The following issues should all be considered:

1. McNabb is on the downside of his career - possible, but other good Qbs manage to play well past his age. Of course, his athleticism is likely decreasing, which in the past helped make up for some of his other known flaws.

2. Andy Reid's system suited McNabb better - feasible; again could have made him look better than he really was. Look how Vick is getting on in that scheme. Kolb, though, isn't performing at that kind of level, although I believe his skill set is different.

3. McNabb was never that good a quarterback - nonsense. He has known flaws, but he would never have had won as many games as he did, especially with the receivers he often had to work with, most of whom were nothing when they weren't Eagles. Point 1 is more likely.

4. His receiver group isn't up to the job - see above - he rarely ever had a decent set of receivers, but put up respectable numbers (especially points).

5. The O-line is not that much better than last year's, after all - Protection does seem to be an issue, from anybody who is not called Trent Williams. This can't be helping.

6. The running game is constantly in flux and not as solid as it should be - although even when Torain has 100+ yards a game, McNabb's performance hasn't improved.

I think it's really a combination of all of these factors (except point 3). I believe he'll get better as the rest of the team settle, but he's not the guy he once was. I do believe he is an upgrade over Campbell, though, and he does offer the best chance to win now. Too much was invested in him to let him go at the end of the season and it will hurt if that happens, regardless of his relationship with Shanahan.

Riggo
12.11.2010, 09:21 PM
I'll be suprised if McNabb is a Redskin next season.

my_friend_goo
14.11.2010, 10:51 AM

With the amount they gave up for him, I'd be furious if he wasn't.

The_Hangman
14.11.2010, 06:20 PM

Apparently there's a lot of talk stateside that this deal could be done quite quickly. They're looking at a 4 year deal.

You hearing any of this Riggo?

JD for breakfast
15.11.2010, 04:48 PM
With the amount they gave up for him, I'd be furious if he wasn't.

What were the conditions for the 2011 pick we gave up for McNabb? Any news on whether it will be a 3rd or 4th rounder?

fyodor dostoevsky
15.11.2010, 11:41 PM
5 year $78m dollar deal!

jeezuz I hope we know what we are doing here. We either have a long term plan that is on the verge of clicking with an erratic QB and an O-line that is shot to bits or we have surpassed ourselves again with another ludicrous big dollar deal.

This guy was being patronised and insulted a week ago but is now apparently worth $78m?! :confused:

my_friend_goo
16.11.2010, 12:58 PM
What were the conditions for the 2011 pick we gave up for McNabb? Any news on whether it will be a 3rd or 4th rounder?

Pro Bowl or something like 10 wins I think. Don't think it was conditional on number of games played. But then the Jammal Brown trade was tied to it, too, so they'll have neither either way.

my_friend_goo
16.11.2010, 12:59 PM
5 year $78m dollar deal!

jeezuz I hope we know what we are doing here. We either have a long term plan that is on the verge of clicking with an erratic QB and an O-line that is shot to bits or we have surpassed ourselves again with another ludicrous big dollar deal.

This guy was being patronised and insulted a week ago but is now apparently worth $78m?! :confused:

Yep. Questionable, at best. Hope it pays off from next season onwards.

Park Ranger
16.11.2010, 06:31 PM
More detail here and it's not as bad as was first reported.
http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/news/story?id=5812371

The_Hangman
16.11.2010, 06:41 PM
More detail here and it's not as bad as was first reported.
http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/news/story?id=5812371

Didn't think it would be. Allen is quite shrewd when it comes to contracts.