PDA

View Full Version : Roddy the Record Breaker?

ianuk
27.11.2010, 11:43 AM
I saw this on the Falcons message board and thought that it would be interesting to get some fans opinions from here.

Roddy White needs 831 more yards to tie with Jerry Rice's record of 1848 yards, and 64 more receptions to tie with Marvin Harrison's 143 receptions for the season. Will he achieve none, one or both records?

The Falcons have 6 games left, Green Bay, New Orleans, Carolina and on the road to Tampa Bay, Seattle and Carolina.

I think that he will come close to both records but miss out. How close he comes will depend on if or how soon the division is won. The two Carolina games could give Roddy a good few yards.

jackster608
27.11.2010, 12:28 PM
Depends on whether the Falcons try to go for it or whether they hook up the seeding by playing efficiently and focusing on wins rather than records.

I think he is more likely to get the yards record, but I am thinking he will get about 1,650 yards and about 125 catches.

PetePie
27.11.2010, 06:04 PM
The two Carolina games could give Roddy a good few yards.

They might, but Carolina are ranked 7th against the pass and allow only 203 ypg, at a rating of 82.6. Of the teams you have left to play only the Saints have a better ranking against the pass.
Of course that could be a statistical anomaly, as i expect the opponents of Carolina will quite often have had a lead late in the game, and will have looked to run the ball more, but i wouldn't expect this to be any different when you play them.

Can't see him getting that close to the reception record, and would have to go some to get the yardage too.

I just find it strange that he's called 'Roddy', and doesn't stick with Sharod. At least that wouldn't remind me of Rodney Trotter from Only Fools & Horses.

ianuk
28.11.2010, 11:51 AM
They might, but Carolina are ranked 7th against the pass and allow only 203 ypg, at a rating of 82.6. Of the teams you have left to play only the Saints have a better ranking against the pass.
Of course that could be a statistical anomaly, as i expect the opponents of Carolina will quite often have had a lead late in the game, and will have looked to run the ball more, but i wouldn't expect this to be any different when you play them.

Can't see him getting that close to the reception record, and would have to go some to get the yardage too.

I just find it strange that he's called 'Roddy', and doesn't stick with Sharod. At least that wouldn't remind me of Rodney Trotter from Only Fools & Horses.

I was unaware that Carolina were ranked that high against the pass. I am guilty of just writing off Carolina as no hopers. Those two games have just got a little more difficult.

I agree with you about both records staying in tact. To be honest White has had such a terrific season that Rice's record may stay in tact even with an 18game season.

Horrorshow
28.11.2010, 12:59 PM
I was unaware that Carolina were ranked that high against the pass.

One of the reasons why Carolina are ranked so high in pass defense is that they'll only faced 323 pass attempts - ninth fewest in the league. That said though, the Panthers have indeed been pretty decent so far this season against the pass.

Devilfalc
01.12.2010, 12:26 PM
No chance. He wouldn't get either record even if he was 100% healthy.