PDA

View Full Version : I know it's been a crap season, but hopefully Shanahan and Allen have learnt...

my_friend_goo
13.12.2010, 06:18 PM
The second of two threads. Shanahan may well have come in this season fooling himself as to how good he was given his time at Denver. It hasn't worked and I'm sure he's itching to fix what went wrong. So, in order for the new organisation to succeed, what should they have learnt?

1. Don't rely on injured veterans to come in and take key starter position - Ma'ake Kemoeatu, Jamaal Brown. Both players we were hoping could fill in in critical positions and both players that haven't. This is the kind of gamble that may pay off if you only have a bunch of rotation guys at a position and have an otherwise strong unit. Not so much if you desperately need them to be "the guy".

2. Don't bring in washed up veterans to play the key positions - Larry Brown, Willie Parker, Joe Galloway. All players who would have contributed more to the team by not being on the roster, freeing up the space for young guys hungry to play. Fortunately, they were all signed to convenient, short contracts rather than multi-year, rich deals. Hopefully this will now completely end the Redskins being the team you come to for your pension fund (McNabb notwithstanding....)

I have plenty of others, but I want to hear what you have to say!

Britskin
14.12.2010, 11:01 PM
The second of two threads. Shanahan may well have come in this season fooling himself as to how good he was given his time at Denver. It hasn't worked and I'm sure he's itching to fix what went wrong. So, in order for the new organisation to succeed, what should they have learnt?

1. Don't rely on injured veterans to come in and take key starter position - Ma'ake Kemoeatu, Jamaal Brown. Both players we were hoping could fill in in critical positions and both players that haven't. This is the kind of gamble that may pay off if you only have a bunch of rotation guys at a position and have an otherwise strong unit. Not so much if you desperately need them to be "the guy".

2. Don't bring in washed up veterans to play the key positions - Larry Brown, Willie Parker, Joe Galloway. All players who would have contributed more to the team by not being on the roster, freeing up the space for young guys hungry to play. Fortunately, they were all signed to convenient, short contracts rather than multi-year, rich deals. Hopefully this will now completely end the Redskins being the team you come to for your pension fund (McNabb notwithstanding....)

I have plenty of others, but I want to hear what you have to say!

Cut out the self inflicted mistake

fyodor dostoevsky
14.12.2010, 11:47 PM
As far as self inflicted mistakes go, some of that is about preperation by players and coaching staff in pre-season and of course in the build up to season games. The events at the end of the each half on Sunday with how they used the clock showed a QB and coaching staff without an ounce of leadership. It was embarassing to see Mcnabb at the end of the first half trying to get a 4th time out and needing the ref to explain they were all used up. I had heard that McNabb had made these kind of mistakes before with the Eagles but to see it happen on Sunday was completely unacceptable. The same with Shanahan.

I have to stop writing now cos it makes me angry thinking about it

wuds100
15.12.2010, 03:23 PM
Looking back with hindsight we should never have gone to the 3-4 defence,
It has been a constant headache all year even going back as far as the OTAs
and with the Fat Al saga has created a huge distraction for the team.

Ledders
16.12.2010, 12:57 PM
Looking back with hindsight we should never have gone to the 3-4 defence,
It has been a constant headache all year even going back as far as the OTAs
and with the Fat Al saga has created a huge distraction for the team.

Indeed and now it's too late