PDA

View Full Version : ...and with the 10th pick of the 2011 NFL Draft the Redskins pick.....

JD for breakfast
04.01.2011, 09:06 PM
Well the season is now over for us and I know it's been mentioned in a few threads but I thought this topic is worthy of it's own thread. My knowledge of the potential upcoming draft class is pretty limited but I've heard it mentioned in more than one place that the QB's coming out this time are not of the highest caliber and will most likely not be instant starters. Seeing as that's our most glaring need with McNabb most likely gone and Rex looking streaky at best, is there a QB coming that we can bank on to be our franchise QB that will still be there at 10? Or maybe you disagree and think we have more pressing needs and that our 1st rounder is better spent elsewhere

Gman84
04.01.2011, 11:21 PM
If a QB worthy of the pick is there they'll take him but at the same time you have to be smart. Don't reach and if a good trade option is there, take it.

wuds100
05.01.2011, 11:43 AM
I think a trade back with someone or even trading the pick for
another 1st next year would make sense here if we can get a 3rd or a high 4th,
Cant see Luck falling after his Orange bowl display though Missouri QB
Blaine Gabbert has declared and is highly rated by the so called experts,
The 10th pick would appear a little high for a interior O-Linemen so maybe a
Tackle or a 3-4 DE would be a safer pick,
I guess whatever they decide I have a lot more trust in Shanahan/Allen
than Cerrato/Synder.

15eastaf
05.01.2011, 02:19 PM
If we can move up to one of the top 4 or 5 picks then the only 2 or 3 QB's good enough to start in the NFL then we will probably end up going for a reciever, A J Green or Julio Jones are potential candadates if they enter the draft.

Redskinsno.1
06.01.2011, 07:51 PM
if we can i would trade down - Locker should still be there around pick 20 IMO, take Locker and get some more picks to use

RamsAreTheBest14
07.01.2011, 06:53 PM
you should pick up Vince Young!

my_friend_goo
07.01.2011, 08:46 PM
you should pick up Vince Young!

I think I'll pass on that, thanks. I'd likely put my back out.

JD for breakfast
07.01.2011, 10:39 PM
Vince Young wouldn't fit this scheme any better than McNabb did. He'll end up at the Vikings I reckon

Gman84
08.01.2011, 12:16 AM
Vince Young & Al Davis - match made in heaven.

JD for breakfast
08.01.2011, 03:36 PM
Vince Young & Al Davis - match made in heaven.

That's just crazy enough to work

Boltonian
09.01.2011, 11:49 AM
It all depends if we are going to be going with Grossman as QB next year,
if we are we need to upgrade all 3 of the interior OL, 2 out of the 3 in free
agency and the other with our 2nd pick, i would then go with NT with our
1st pick.

Harwich Hog
10.01.2011, 01:23 PM
I wouldn't be surprised if we select someone along the lines of Marcell Dareus or another guy on defence that suits the 3-4 and wait to address QB in the second round.

Britskin
10.01.2011, 02:32 PM
A kicker. Fed up with them costing us games over the past few years.

Seriously though I think we should be looking for a QB whether its through trade or draft.

Running back could be up there however I would be willing to give Torain his chance.

Harwich Hog
10.01.2011, 05:27 PM
With Sproles looking to be available in free agency and Mike Shanahan's history of creating a running game from unknowns, i'd be pretty angry if we use either of the top picks on a running back.

JD for breakfast
10.01.2011, 05:40 PM
I think Torain and Keiland Williams between them have shown enough to suggest that RB isn't a major need, especially considering our needs elsewhere. If it was up to me I'd go QB with the first and either NT or interior lineman with our 2nd, although it's unclear at the minute as to whether Jamaal Brown will return so picking up a tackle would be handy. Either way both our lines need adding to as a priority so i'd focus on that

Gman84
13.01.2011, 07:29 PM
Good article about the possible QB's we'll be looking at in the draft:

Linky dinky (http://washingtonexaminer.com/blogs/nfl/2011/01/analyzing-qbs-draft)

15eastaf
13.01.2011, 08:13 PM
I don't know if he's going into the draft but if he is i like Tyrod Taylor.
I watched him play and although he dosn't have the precision of some of the other QB's he can make great plays by using his feat to buy more time.

my_friend_goo
14.01.2011, 12:23 PM
Good article about the possible QB's we'll be looking at in the draft:

Linky dinky (http://washingtonexaminer.com/blogs/nfl/2011/01/analyzing-qbs-draft)

Really? According to that article, 4 of the 6 quarterbacks are "the" guy Mike Shanahan might or will fall in love with. That's going to be one hell of a messy love pentagon.

andy32uk
17.01.2011, 11:13 AM
With Sproles looking to be available in free agency and Mike Shanahan's history of creating a running game from unknowns, i'd be pretty angry if we use either of the top picks on a running back.

Mark Ingram may a possible, was great at in college but stock has dropped a bit in his senior year due to minor injuries but portis is now beat up and torrain is too brittle

two many positions to fill and danny boy and bruce will probley trade most of the picks for free agents anyway.

Harwich Hog
17.01.2011, 12:24 PM
Mark Ingram may a possible, was great at in college but stock has dropped a bit in his senior year due to minor injuries but portis is now beat up and torrain is too brittle

two many positions to fill and danny boy and bruce will probley trade most of the picks for free agents anyway.

I hope he doesn't trade picks for free agents. That would be a huge waste ;)

I understand what you mean though but something tells me they won't. I can see a few more deals along the lines of the Brown, Carriker, Tryon, Dutch/Beck trades; trading only the mid-late round draft picks. Acquiring picks/players where we have perceived depth (Tryon, Dutch) and giving picks where we're slim (Brown, Carriker, Beck).

That's how I hope this front office operates.

JD for breakfast
17.01.2011, 09:59 PM
There are several high-calibre free agents available this off-season due to the expiring CBA and pending lock-out. Vincent Jacskon and Namdi Asamougha are just two of the players I would seriously consider pursuing. We wouldn't be alone there though

Anyway back on topic, from most of the Draft chat I've seen there is a lot of debate about whether there will be any genuine franchis QB's coming out this time. Cam Newton is the one name that keeps cropping up as the best QB in this year's draft but is he a fit for the Shanahan offense? He certanly has plenty of baggage to bring to the party

Gman84
18.01.2011, 04:49 PM
I'm a 'Barn fan so not sure if I want the Redskins getting Newton after how Campbell turned out. He's a winner though with a big arm & mobile as heck. I get the feeling with Luck out of the draft he'll rise to a top 5 pick.

As for free agency, I'd look to help the OL there, possibly a tackle (if Brown moves on) & an interior guy. If we sign Scrabble I'll be furious, just think he'll cost too much, is heading towards 30 & is from a man-to-man scheme when we are heading towards more of a zone blitz look, I think he's a poor fit. Let someone else pay.

15eastaf
18.01.2011, 06:27 PM
Anyway back on topic, from most of the Draft chat I've seen there is a lot of debate about whether there will be any genuine franchis QB's coming out this time. Cam Newton is the one name that keeps cropping up as the best QB in this year's draft but is he a fit for the Shanahan offense? He certanly has plenty of baggage to bring to the party[/QUOTE]

I think if we can trade up to a top 5 pick we should go for him. I think the key is to not rush into anything and make sure we pick up the right people for this team. It may take a couple of years for us to become playoff contenders and a few years after that to become superbowl contenders. It's about time we stopped handing out big countracts to people with good reputation and we started looking for people who will fit in the team and are willing to play hard for us (unlike Haynesworth).

Harwich Hog
18.01.2011, 11:01 PM
I think if we can trade up to a top 5 pick we should go for him. I think the key is to not rush into anything and make sure we pick up the right people for this team. It may take a couple of years for us to become playoff contenders and a few years after that to become superbowl contenders. It's about time we stopped handing out big countracts to people with good reputation and we started looking for people who will fit in the team and are willing to play hard for us (unlike Haynesworth).

You want us to trade into the top 5 (with an already depleted selection of picks) to pick up a player i'm not convinced we'll be reaching for if we took at 10 - and then you say key is to not rush into anything?

I agree with what you say about a couple of years away from the playoffs and that's why we shouldn't go QB with those top picks.

wuds100
19.01.2011, 11:58 AM
I would rather trade back and hope to pick up Pouncey who could start
day one at Center, round 2 maybe a Guard or DL and with any other picks
of McNabb/Haynesworth/Trade back look for the BPA,
In the later rounds maybe Shanahan could unearth another RB gem.

The_Hangman
19.01.2011, 05:54 PM
Best player available imo (other than RB, unless he's a can't miss player).

DL, LB, CB, S, OL, QB, WR are all major needs.

I want the best possible player to fit our scheme. I would've approved of trading up to get Luck, but no one else.

We have too many needs to reach on a QB, or give up draft picks to trade up.

Harwich Hog
19.01.2011, 10:43 PM
I would rather trade back and hope to pick up Pouncey who could start
day one at Center, round 2 maybe a Guard or DL and with any other picks
of McNabb/Haynesworth/Trade back look for the BPA,
In the later rounds maybe Shanahan could unearth another RB gem.

The same Pouncey that was drafted last year and has been kicking ass with the Steelers?

Gman84
20.01.2011, 04:20 AM
The same Pouncey that was drafted last year and has been kicking ass with the Steelers?

No there is another guy (think it's his brother) coming out this year.

wuds100
20.01.2011, 12:54 PM
It is his brother Mike Pouncey who is listed as the best Guard/Center
prospect in virtually all the mocks,
If he is as good as his bro then a team picking inside of 20 might go for him.

Harwich Hog
21.01.2011, 10:42 AM
It is his brother Mike Pouncey who is listed as the best Guard/Center
prospect in virtually all the mocks,
If he is as good as his bro then a team picking inside of 20 might go for him.

Though i'm sure he deserved to be there in his own right - the fact that his brother has been pretty 'mazing this season won't do him any harm either.

Redskinsno.1
21.01.2011, 06:13 PM
Did you guys watch Pouncey snapping the ball this season? Florida had problems with snapping the ball all year - if we do get him it has to be as a G

JD for breakfast
23.01.2011, 06:03 PM
In case anyone's wondering, Joe Theismann think's we should go RB or DL with the #10 pick. Asked him myself on twitter this afternoon. What's the 2011 RB class looking like? Anyone worth a top 10 pick?

brave on the warpath
23.01.2011, 07:05 PM
I agree we need another top notch rb but I'd rather go for a dl or a o lineman. They are more urgent needs right now and when we get better we can start looking for another rb

London Key
24.01.2011, 01:41 AM
We definately don't need a RB at the moment, if Torain can stay healthy, he could be a franchise back.

We need defensive help, an OLB/DE to start opposite Orakpo is a big need, and maybe a ball hawk type FS to compliment Landry.

I would also have said a big NT, but maybe Bryant might turn out to be a good one.

JD for breakfast
01.02.2011, 07:10 PM
http://bleacherreport.com/articles/565440-2011-nfl-mock-draft-redskins-edition-all-seven-rounds

Worth a read. One of the few mocks around that doesn't have us over-reaching for a QB in the first. Robert Quinn anyone?

brave on the warpath
02.02.2011, 08:10 PM
The only article i've read that i like the sound of, it does leave the o not much improved but i like the sound of a hard playing defence. Once we trade d mac and fat albert we will have a bit more room under the salary cap and hopefully we can pick up a few more picks. If i were in charge i would like to do something similar with the draft and develop as much of the team as we can and keep Rex in as qb. The jets showed with a strong team around him a average qb can take the team to a championship game so hopefully Shanahan will take a leaf out of their book and look to develop the rest of the team rather than blowing the pick on a qb.

JD for breakfast
02.02.2011, 11:40 PM
It's hard to speculate on with the labour dispute looming large but we could be as much as $50m under the salary cap come the off season if we don't keep any of our unrestricted free agents, trade McNabb and Haynesworth and cut Portis. I doubt we'll release all our UFA's though, but still the roster could have a very different look come training camp

Boltonian
13.02.2011, 09:57 PM
If it was the NFL Draft today and the CBA is not signed which direction
would you want the Redskins to go,

I will start by saying - DE

Redskinsno.1
14.02.2011, 01:24 PM
Franchise QB - we need a QB of the future. Rex came in and did ok but that is all he will ever do, never going to be elite and we need a franchise QB

wuds100
14.02.2011, 03:08 PM
Trust in Shanahan putting aside a crazy first year where we thought
we could compete from the off (big mistake),
If he goes QB this year then it has to be with our 1st rounder,
If not then BPA with DE,G,C,FS and OLB all priorities.

JD for breakfast
14.02.2011, 03:28 PM
From what I've seen and read there doesn't appear to be more than one or two two QB's who are worth a #10 pick. I hope we just take the best player available there as there aren't many positions on the team that we don't need to strengthen or get younger at. Obviously QB is one of them but if we do go for a supposed franchise QB at #10 who is going to be left for us to pick from?

Redskinsno.1
14.02.2011, 05:46 PM
From what I've seen and read there doesn't appear to be more than one or two two QB's who are worth a #10 pick. I hope we just take the best player available there as there aren't many positions on the team that we don't need to strengthen or get younger at. Obviously QB is one of them but if we do go for a supposed franchise QB at #10 who is going to be left for us to pick from?

Well ideally i would like to see us trade down a bit and still be able to pick up a QB like Ponder or Kaepernick but as wuds says if we get a QB this year it has to be 1st round

Boltonian
14.02.2011, 09:13 PM
I don't think there is a good enough QB to take with the 10th pick,
the top 2 QB's will be gone by then and then there is a big drop off
in quality. 10th pick is also to high for a C or G according to the
scouts, my thinking was it has to be one of the lines, and we ended
last season slightly better on the OL than we started it, and looking
at the DL we could start with Carriker - Bryant- Draft pick,then use
our 2nd pick on either OLB or OL.

If we do get a CBA i am looking forward to having a real coach and GM
building the lines through FA and then go and get some game changers
in the Draft, the Skins with about $50m in cap space(I can't wait).

Redskinsno.1
15.02.2011, 12:32 PM
I don't think there is a good enough QB to take with the 10th pick,
the top 2 QB's will be gone by then and then there is a big drop off
in quality. 10th pick is also to high for a C or G according to the
scouts, my thinking was it has to be one of the lines, and we ended
last season slightly better on the OL than we started it, and looking
at the DL we could start with Carriker - Bryant- Draft pick,then use
our 2nd pick on either OLB or OL.

If we do get a CBA i am looking forward to having a real coach and GM
building the lines through FA and then go and get some game changers
in the Draft, the Skins with about $50m in cap space(I can't wait).

I'm not so sure Mark, I think Gabbert will be gone but i think Newton could still be there at 10 and if he is we would be mad not to take him.

JD for breakfast
15.02.2011, 07:16 PM
I can just see the "Newton joins Redskins Soap Opera" headlins now! In all seriousness, is all the talk about Newton's off-field issues accurate or has it been blown out of proportion? We can do without another Albert Haynesworth on our roster after we've (hopefully) just gotten rid of one

brave on the warpath
16.02.2011, 06:54 PM
Is Newton seriously going to be able to do better than McNabb managed in a tam that has had a week d and a poor o line? Could any QB do better than McNabb or Grossman did? When the QB is under presure there will be turnovers. Lets trade back, pick someone for the o line the d line and an outside linebacker (dosn't matter what we pick when just as long as we get these).

Boltonian
16.02.2011, 09:44 PM
The Redskins seasons hinges on if they sort out the CBA, if they do the
Skins can get a lot stronger via FA, if it is not sorted we are left with very
few quality draft picks(no 3rd or 4th round picks) to make the overall
squad stronger.

JD for breakfast
24.02.2011, 03:52 PM
The more I think about this the more tempting the idea of trading back for picks becomes. Especially if Cam newton is still there at #10 as there will be plenty of teams who will be willing to give up a few picks to get him. He's the kind of athlete who will probably put up silly numbers in the Combine and find his draft stock rocketing

JD for breakfast
26.02.2011, 09:46 PM
Interview with Shanahan on redskins.com has just gone up. He's singled out OLB and NT as top needs. However he didn't specify whether he'd add there in the draft or free agency. Unless Von Miller falls to us I don't see us getting good value for a #10 pick with any of the rest of the OLB's in the draft. Smoke and mirrors maybe?

brave on the warpath
02.03.2011, 07:14 PM
There are lots of rumours of what the skins are going to do in the draft, so i thought i'd ad another one. Shanahan has said he won't decide McNabb's future untill after the draft, hopefuly i'm wrong but this does point to shanahan looking to pick up a qb in the draft, otherwise he might have resigned Grossman or said what he is going to do with McNabb.

the over-the-hill fan
03.03.2011, 10:52 AM
The more I think about this the more tempting the idea of trading back for picks becomes. Especially if Cam newton is still there at #10 as there will be plenty of teams who will be willing to give up a few picks to get him. He's the kind of athlete who will probably put up silly numbers in the Combine and find his draft stock rocketing

You just know that if he does fall to #10 it's going to be too much of a temptation for Shanahan. Although if that does happen maybe stepping up to pro level with naff all protection might give him enough of a pounding to realise becoming an icon ain't easy. ;)

Seems a lot of people think he's going to end up in Buffalo though.

JD for breakfast
04.03.2011, 04:09 PM
You just know that if he does fall to #10 it's going to be too much of a temptation for Shanahan. Although if that does happen maybe stepping up to pro level with naff all protection might give him enough of a pounding to realise becoming an icon ain't easy. ;)

Seems a lot of people think he's going to end up in Buffalo though.

I think both Newton and Gabbert will go before we pick. They are the only two QB's that look like decent value as a top ten pick. To be fair taking the best player available at #10 at whatever position will probably be an improvement on what we currently have. The good thing about this draft is that it appears to be loaded at the top end with D-linemen, which is where we are probably weakest, so even if we trade back from #10 we can still look at getting a potential starter at our biggest position of need, plus an extra pick or two later on for depth

Boltonian
13.04.2011, 09:56 AM
If the cowboys don't select RT Tyron Smith at No'9 would you be
happy if the Skins drafted him to play opposite Williams that would
set the Redskins up at OT for the next decade, the only obstacle
i see is that if we get to FA before the draft shanahan is expected
to sign Harris the RT of the Broncos.

The_Hangman
13.04.2011, 12:33 PM

Where'd you read that?

I have no objections to Tryon, and then Wisnieski in the second. Finally, finally our O Line would be decent.

Boltonian
13.04.2011, 05:22 PM
Many fans on the Redskins official web site have been saying for weeks
that the redskins are favorites to sign Harris, especially now that Elway
and co have named there starting OL if everything goes to plan and
Harris is not on it and is expected to be released as soon as we have
a CBA. Plus Shanahan also drafted Harris when he coached the Broncos.

pj
13.04.2011, 08:45 PM

I think i'd prefer to see us go with DL unless by some miracle Miller is still there. Also if possible a trade back would be nice and then we could take Pouncey.

I'm hoping we resign Brown, he got better in the second half of the season although I do worry about how healthy he can stay.

Boltonian
14.04.2011, 09:46 PM
Word is that Brown is looking for LT money, i would go for Harris
myself he would be cheaper and i think he fits our scheme better.
i would also prefer to trade down in the draft to between 16-20
and draft Pouncey because that way we can get rid of Rabach.

skinsfan.uk
15.04.2011, 12:30 PM
After our recent lean record of drafting linemen I'd be pleased with a RT or trade back and get a C to replace Rabach who is finished. As for QB, I don't think any of the QBs in this years class are Top 10 calibre but if we can get one with the 2 rounder (41st overall??) then I'd settle for that.

One player I do want to avoid is Jones - WR is not a position of need compared to the rest of the roster and I'd rather re-sign Moss. Plus we do of course still have Malcolm Kelly!!!

Harwich Hog
18.04.2011, 05:39 PM
In an ideal situation - we get to trade back and still get Locker.

But seeing as the name of the thread is who the Redskins pick at #10, I wouldn't be surprised to see us take AJ Green or Julio Jones. I think so much of Kyle's offence is reliant on a big no.1 receiver and they're both that kind of player.

pj
18.04.2011, 06:21 PM
Word is that Brown is looking for LT money, i would go for Harris
myself he would be cheaper and i think he fits our scheme better.
i would also prefer to trade down in the draft to between 16-20
and draft Pouncey because that way we can get rid of Rabach.

Everything i've seen/read about Pouncey suggests that he shouldn't play center in the NFL but he could be very good at guard. Wisniewski looks to be the best center available and is almost certain to be there when we pick in the second. I don't think id have too many complaints if we ended up with both.

History suggests that at least 1 of the big 2 receivers will be a major bust so I just don't think it would be worth the risk especially since Shanny has a decent record of finding good receivers in the later rounds.

Normally by now we would start to have some idea of the player or position we might be targeting but I have absolutely no idea at the moment!

RichieL
20.04.2011, 07:00 PM
I think Shanahan will try and and trade back into late first round and pick up a QB there. If we stay at 10 I'll go with either Robert Quinn or Aldon Smith. Personally I think we can wait until round 2 for the QB - I don't buy this 7 QBs going in round 1 talk.

Boltonian
25.04.2011, 10:19 PM
If the redskins stay with the 10th pick i will say Robert Quinn DE.

If the Skins trade down(possibly with Dolphins) which is hopefully
what we do, then i say we will pick Phil Taylor DT.

With our 2nd rounder i say Shanallen get there QB Andy Dalton.

And with our 3rd rounder from the Dolphins get the best OL available.

wuds100
27.04.2011, 02:30 PM
Rumours of a trade up for Gabbert are circulating hope this is not true,
I would not be over worried if we took him at 10 but not at the expense
of picks we just dont have to give up.

my_friend_goo
27.04.2011, 05:06 PM
Rumours of a trade up for Gabbert are circulating hope this is not true,
I would not be over worried if we took him at 10 but not at the expense
of picks we just dont have to give up.

Agreed 100%. There's no harm in putting all of your eggs in one basket, if you pay attention to where you're going. But if that basket has a hole just big enough for an egg to fall through and you know the only tools you have back home to make an omlette are a microwave and a bowl, you probably should've thought your plans through a little better.

JD for breakfast
27.04.2011, 05:15 PM
Agreed 100%. There's no harm in putting all of your eggs in one basket, if you pay attention to where you're going. But if that basket has a hole just big enough for an egg to fall through and you know the only tools you have back home to make an omlette are a microwave and a bowl, you probably should've thought your plans through a little better.

Are you hungry or something?

BAZILBARRY
27.04.2011, 09:35 PM
Are you hungry or something?
Hes just getting eggcited...lol

wuds100
27.04.2011, 11:24 PM
Any late predictions and hopes on what will happen with the 10th pick tomorrow night?
I personally think Quinn will be gone by the time we pick and that at least one
team has already traded up into the top 10 leaving Julio Jones, Akamamuru and Aldon Smith
there with us plumping for Smith,
My hope is that of a trade back to net us a extra second rounder or more likely a third rounder, Then hopefully the O-Line and NT needs can be addressed.

pj
28.04.2011, 11:55 AM
Any late predictions and hopes on what will happen with the 10th pick tomorrow night?
I personally think Quinn will be gone by the time we pick and that at least one
team has already traded up into the top 10 leaving Julio Jones, Akamamuru and Aldon Smith
there with us plumping for Smith,
My hope is that of a trade back to net us a extra second rounder or more likely a third rounder, Then hopefully the O-Line and NT needs can be addressed.

There has been a lot of talk about the Falcons looking to trade up for Jones or Green which would be ideal for us although highly unlikely given what it would cost Atlanta.

As I guess ill say we trade back 4-7 places and pick Locker.

RichieL
28.04.2011, 07:10 PM
Like most people I hope we can trade back but know how difficult that will probably be. If we stick at 10 I would be happy with Quinn or Julio Jones. My ideal scenario would be trading back into the 20's & picking up an extra second. Then hopefully-

1. Jack Locker
2. Phil Taylor
2. Ryan Williams

The_Hangman
28.04.2011, 07:12 PM
Nawrocki has the Skins taking Cameron Jordan at 10 in his final mock.

BAZILBARRY
28.04.2011, 10:28 PM
I`ll miss the draft,away for a week,so I guess I`ll have to wait to see if I`m happy,or disappointed when I get back.

JD for breakfast
29.04.2011, 01:47 AM
Ryan Kerrigan it is at #16 after a trade with Jacksonville. DE/OLB from Purdue. Looks like the Rak has a pass-rush partner. Any thoughts?

Harwich Hog
29.04.2011, 02:07 AM
I'm not blown away but i'm reasonably content.

Sounds like he's all hard-work and application and that's no bad thing. Definitely a starter at LOLB by the looks of things. If we can get two more starters with our two seconds i'll be ecstatic.

Be disappointed if we package them and bounce back up.

rogredskins
29.04.2011, 08:01 AM
Reasonably pleased with pick. Second round will be crucial to draft success. Two starters or it's a bust.

my_friend_goo
29.04.2011, 12:31 PM
Shanahan said early on another pass rusher to complement Orakpo was a top priority and that's precisely what he went for. Not necessarily a pick anyone had chosen, but a sensible one. No trading up, acquiring another much-needed pick instead. Lets hope he steps right in and does what's required of him.

With the two second rounders, I'd like to see them address at least one of the lines. Both would be a good thing, but one line pick and a skill position (QB as widely suggested, WR or CB) will be just fine.

skinsfan.uk
29.04.2011, 05:33 PM
It's all about the 2nd round. If we can get Kerrigan and both 2nd rounders (assuming we don't trade down) starting by late season it will make all the difference to this team. If they take a QB, I expect McNabb or Grossman to play for 1 year or so whilst they learn the system.

I'd settle for a QB and a lineman tonight.

Faith in Shanny and Allen!

wuds100
29.04.2011, 05:34 PM
Shanahan said early on another pass rusher to complement Orakpo was a top priority and that's precisely what he went for. Not necessarily a pick anyone had chosen, but a sensible one. No trading up, acquiring another much-needed pick instead. Lets hope he steps right in and does what's required of him.

With the two second rounders, I'd like to see them address at least one of the lines. Both would be a good thing, but one line pick and a skill position (QB as widely suggested, WR or CB) will be just fine.

No QBs for me here with O-Line and NT my prefered choices,
Cant believe what Atlanta gave up just wished they had held out
for a few more picks and sent the farm to us.

my_friend_goo
30.04.2011, 09:46 AM
So, more trading down and a full complement of picks. How many years since we saw such behaviour! You can never rely on every pick to pan out, so I'm happy with the strategy applied.

Some fans on the extremeskins board are ecstatic about the Leonard Hankerson pick in the third round. WR is definitely a need, so I'm excited to see how he performs. Not sold on Jarvis Jenkins yet. Addressing D-Line was important , but for now I just see him being an addition to the DE rotation. Questions about his work ethic on the scouting report and he could have been a reach. However, he won't get away with not putting in 100% effort for Shanahan, so I'm willing to give him the benefit of the doubt. I suspect, without a major pass-rushing ability, he'll be an invisible contributor, absorbing blockers.

His run-stopping ability could be very important if it transfers to this level. Opposing rushers were gaining too many yards per carry last season.

RichieL
30.04.2011, 11:02 AM
I'm happy with our draft so far. I do have a nagging feeling that there is one important position we haven't addressed yet.

my_friend_goo
30.04.2011, 08:50 PM
O-line, but you can't address every position. Sometime, you just have to saturate one position and hope guy sticks. That approach has been taken with WR and RB in the latter rounds and I'm guessing we'll see one or two OL players taken in the seventh.

As for the QB, sure the team need help there. But, asides from Locker going at 8 (newton was never an option), the team could really have selected anybody that was taken later on, if they had wanted to. They've been able to move around at will this draft, if they had their hearts set on any other guy, they could have likely gotten him.

brave on the warpath
02.05.2011, 02:21 PM
Sanahan and Allen, thankyou, of all the things we could have done wrong i don't think we did any of them. If anything we traded back to much but that's 10 times better than reaching for a qb and loosing even more of the few picks we had. I feel good about our d now and hopefully we can start to bring the pain with Orakpo, Fletcher and Kerrigan at linebacker not to mention Landry and Atogwe at strong and free safety.
Wew adressed a couple of needs on offense by improving our recievers and picking up another rb who should add another demention to our run game with Torain as a brusing runner and Helu burning them with his pace.
It still leaves an inevitable hole at qb and what i've read suggests Beck or Grossman will start but when we can start signing players again it is possible we could sign vince young to a 1 year deal, tell him to behave or he's out and try and work with that in the short term untill we can pick up a franchise qb in a future draft.

the over-the-hill fan
02.05.2011, 08:08 PM
It still leaves an inevitable hole at qb and what i've read suggests Beck or Grossman will start but when we can start signing players again it is possible we could sign vince young to a 1 year deal, tell him to behave or he's out and try and work with that in the short term untill we can pick up a franchise qb in a future draft. Like blowing it all next year on Andrew Luck. :rolleyes:

JD for breakfast
04.05.2011, 03:06 PM
I really wish we'd taken at least one more O-lineman instead of the extra RB's. We're still lacking depth there, especially at tackle. Trent Williams is fine as he is and hopefully he stays healthy but beyond that we're desperately thin, especially if we don't keep Jamaal brown. Aside from that I think it's a pretty decent draft on paper

pj
04.05.2011, 03:51 PM
I really wish we'd taken at least one more O-lineman instead of the extra RB's. We're still lacking depth there, especially at tackle. Trent Williams is fine as he is and hopefully he stays healthy but beyond that we're desperately thin, especially if we don't keep Jamaal brown. Aside from that I think it's a pretty decent draft on paper

I agree, someone like Wiz in the second would have been perfect.

I would think Harris must be certain to be signing now but that still leaves the interior OL very weak.

Gman84
08.05.2011, 08:41 PM
I loved our draft, maybe would swap one of the WR picks for an OL pick but otherwise stocked the skill positions, got some youth and good fits on defense and the majority of the draft has seen high character, self motivating players brought in. Also loved the fact we traded down and gained picks especially with the inability to sign undrafted free agents.

my_friend_goo
09.05.2011, 11:21 AM
Whilst it was a shame that the o-line wasn't really addressed much, you have to look at it from the perspective that there were too many holes to fill. Bearing in mind the success rate in the draft, throwing a number of options in at one position and hoping some stick may be a better strategy than a single person at a single position, where if that player fails, you may as well not have addressed the position at all.

Hoping the labour situation gets resolved soon so that free agency allows them to address the o-line a bit more and training camp enables all the new faces to get some NFL-level experience in before the season starts.