PDA

View Full Version : Stupid Redskin deals for 2011

Riggo
08.01.2011, 08:04 PM
Any thoughts?

Somehow I think Dan Snyder will fall in love with Vince Young.

Boltonian
09.01.2011, 11:55 AM
$100m, $50m guaranteed deal for Nghata(Ravens DT).

$80m, $35m guaranteed deal for Vincent Jackson(WR Chargers).

$120m, $60m guaranteed deal for Payten Manning(QB Colts).

Gman84
13.01.2011, 07:14 PM
Scrabble is going to be a free agent, stay away please!

Harwich Hog
14.01.2011, 03:07 PM
I love the nickname Scrabble :)

Riggo
22.07.2011, 10:43 PM
If the players can get their thumbs out their collective...ears...then the madness will truly begin.

The NFL is going to compress months of free agency into just a few days.

I'm sure the Danny will find a way to top the McNabb and Hayneworth fiascoes. fiasca ?

my_friend_goo
25.07.2011, 11:29 AM
Vince Young and Cullen Jenkins are the two major names the Redskins are said to be interested in. If Vince Young is given a whopping great deal and the starting job, I'll be worried/annoyed. If, however, he agrees to a modest, short-term deal and has to prove himself as much as John Beck and any other QB signed, I don't see it being such a big deal bringing him in. There isn't an obvious candidate to start on the roster (even if they do sign Rex Grossman, with his experience and all, he is still Rex Grossman as he demonstrated last year), nor an obvious free agent that can make a difference. I do wonder if he'll cope with the pressures of the DC media, given his problems in Tennessee and I can't see him becoming the franchise QB.

wuds100
25.07.2011, 01:16 PM
Cromartie and overpaying Holmes would be my two steer clear off,
Wonder if Shanahan could unearth a gem in the UDFA market,
Hopefully they will take a look a Kris O'dowd and see an end to Rabach.

Boltonian
25.07.2011, 09:32 PM
At last we can start to talk about possible Redskin signings, first of
all we need to re-sign Moss, and then with the new rules for the cap
the Skins have to spend about $45m in cash and are are about 24m
under the Cap, we need to then go out and get a good quality RT, G,
NT, DE, ILB and CB and not blow all the money on 2 superstars.

Redskinsno.1
26.07.2011, 05:21 PM
I would love us to get:

Marshal Yanda - OT - Ravens
Aubrayo Franklin - NT - 49ers
Cullen Jenkins - DE - Packers

Also wouldnt mind:

Sidney Rice - WR - Vikings / Vincent Jackson - WR - Chargers
Jonathan Joseph - CB - Bengals
Stephen Bowen - DE - Cowboys

JD for breakfast
26.07.2011, 07:52 PM
Yanda has rejected the Ravens initial ofer so it looks like that could happen. I'm just hoping we invest on both lines. It's an obvious thing to say but it doesn't seem to have been obvious to our front office in the recent past. Holmes would be a luxury seeing as we don't have anyone to throw the ball to him.

What would people think about Hasselbeck? He's been in a version of the West Coast offence in Seattle for years. Would be no more than a stop-gap of course at his age but he'd fill the game manager role pretty well for a year or two until we can find the franchise quarterback we need

Redskinsno.1
26.07.2011, 10:57 PM
Moss re-signed :)

http://espn.go.com/blog/nfceast/post/_/id/28684/redskins-re-sign-santana-moss

JD for breakfast
27.07.2011, 11:54 AM
DT Barry Cofield from the Giants is in. $12.5m in guaranteed over 6 years apparently. Not sure how he will fit into the 3-4 system really. His frame (6'4" 305lbs) suggests that he'll play DE so I guess we're still looking for a starting calibre nose tackle

my_friend_goo
27.07.2011, 09:41 PM
So, how many WRs do the Redskins need exactly? Stallworth, Stokely and Gaffney (for whom they handed over Jeremy Jarmon).

I know 90 players can be taken into camp, but that's something like 14 receivers on the roster now. Ok, some of them are scrubs and it's sheer optimism to hope that all three draft picks will be on the roster come week one, or even pan out as players (hankerson being the top prospect as a third round pick). Still a little head scratchy, though.

Here's hoping that if they're taking the throw a bunch of guys at a position and hope some of them pan out, they go hunting in the direction of the o-line next.

JD for breakfast
28.07.2011, 12:15 PM
Maybe the thinking is that a better WR corps can make up for crappy QB play that we can probably expect this season. I'd be very surpirsed if all three of these new WR's find their way onto the final roster. They're all pretty much the same kind of player: possession recievers with good hands and decent route-running ability, but none are really a deep threat. Gaffney may be a little ahead of the others because we actually gave something up for him in trade. Should be an interesting contest in camp anyway

wuds100
28.07.2011, 12:44 PM
Good news with Rabach being released hopefully a few O-Line moves in the pipeline.

JD for breakfast
28.07.2011, 01:27 PM
Apparently we aren't getting Stokely now. Or we never were. Not sure yet. Makes sense though. There's depth and there's just overcrowding. I think 13 recievers is quite enough going into training camp lol

wuds100
28.07.2011, 01:39 PM
Apparently we aren't getting Stokely now. Or we never were. Not sure yet. Makes sense though. There's depth and there's just overcrowding. I think 13 recievers is quite enough going into training camp lol

Theres still talk of Braylon Edwards as well.

JD for breakfast
28.07.2011, 03:46 PM
Rabach and Daniels cut. Guess that chops the rosters average in half. We must have at least one, hopefully two O-linemen coming in, as well as Jamaal Brown re-signing. There are still a few young(ish) starting calibre interior linemen looking for a home next season. Sounds like the Cullen Jenkins deal is almost done too. Like that move a lot if it happens

my_friend_goo
28.07.2011, 06:01 PM
Cullen Jenkins looks like he won't be a Redskin after all. Instead, welcome ex-cowboy Stephen Bowen, who the Boys reportedly wanted to re-sign and did a good job in relief of Marcus Spears last year. I think the Josh Wilson signing went unreported, too - respectable former Ravens QB who will probably be in with a shot at the starting job. I've heard the raid on NFC East rivals is complete with the addition of Sav Rocca from the Eagles. Don't know so much about him - I don't think he's one of the best punters in the league, but I think he should be better than what we've had in the past.

Shockingly, many of the signings have been of players approaching their late 20s with potential to break out. Hopefully some will, probably some won't. But boy, isn't this a turnaround from the offseasons past? That doesn't mean a ridiculous old-skool signing isn't around the corner, but so far the predictions of many pundits that the Redskins will go to town in free agency have been woefully short of the mark.

Mr MVP
28.07.2011, 08:51 PM
Just confirmed (NFL NTWORK) Vince Young has been cut.

What choices do the skins have left at QB?

VY to the skins by the end of the weekend..........

GO HAWKS............ Sorry

Packman12
28.07.2011, 09:11 PM
Dany Snyder............private jet............Brett Favre??

my_friend_goo
28.07.2011, 10:25 PM
Dany Snyder............private jet............Brett Favre??

Last time I checked, it wasn't 2009. Are you trying to build up a decent body of work to get Jason La Canfora's job when he goes?

JD for breakfast
29.07.2011, 03:10 PM
I do like the way we've gone about building the roster this off-season. I think we may have over-paid slightly on a couple of the deals, Bowen in particular. But we've addressed a lot of needs and the roster is starting to look a hell of a lot younger, which can only be good going forward.

I'm getting pretty excited about our D too, actually. The CB situation is still a little murky though Have we retained Buchanon or Rogers? Not heard anything on that situation yet I don't think. Hall, Wilson and Barnes isn't enough going into the season so I'd be surprised if we don't keep at least one of them unless there's another FA move to come

JD for breakfast
29.07.2011, 03:21 PM
Actually we picked up 2 defensive backs in the draft. Forgot about them lol. All 12 picks have now been signed so I guess they'll be in the mix in camp. I still think we might keep Buchanon around though

Riggo
31.07.2011, 04:06 PM
So far, knock on wood, it does seem the redskins have avoided the insane signing.

JD for breakfast
31.07.2011, 10:08 PM
Adam Schefter reporting via Twitter that we've re-signed Jamaal Brown. Not sure how much we've given him yet but if he can stay healthy it's pretty good news.

Schefter is also reporting that we've traded for Tim Hightower from the Cards, with Vonnie Holliday and a conditional late-round pick. Interesting move. Training camp is gonna be pretty crowded. Won't be able to move for RB's and WR's at Redskins Park!

Packman12
31.07.2011, 10:09 PM
I am waiting for the ultimate stupid move..........but thats for mid August............

Packman12
31.07.2011, 10:10 PM
Last time I checked, it wasn't 2009. Are you trying to build up a decent body of work to get Jason La Canfora's job when he goes?

I would love to work for the NFL Network! LOL!

JD for breakfast
01.08.2011, 08:34 PM
Buchanon has been re-signed. No contract details yet though

my_friend_goo
02.08.2011, 06:26 PM
I am waiting for the ultimate stupid move..........but thats for mid August............

Fancy waiting? Pull up a chair next to Boggis, Bunce and Bean - you're going to be there for some time....

Dee56
04.08.2011, 12:54 PM
No doubt big Dan will find a way to trump the McNabb & Haynesworth fiasco's before the season starts...

But i do have to say I'm pleased that we managed to re-sign Santana Moss. I think he's been our most consistent player on offence ever since we signed him. & should be a good mentor for the up & coming good crop of young receivers we have in DC.

fyodor dostoevsky
04.08.2011, 09:03 PM
I like the Hightower move, actually made me sit up and take notice more than any draft we made in April

Redskinsno.1
04.08.2011, 10:08 PM
I like the Hightower move, actually made me sit up and take notice more than any draft we made in April

I'm the opposite i hated it. Firstly we needed the help more on the D-Line than at RB and Holliday was actually one of our better DEs last year. Also from what i have seen of Hightower he is not that good and isnt an improvement on Torian, Williams or Helu

fyodor dostoevsky
04.08.2011, 10:49 PM
well Torain is dinged already! as for D line it goes without sayng we need cover in all positions.

JD for breakfast
06.08.2011, 10:27 AM
I'm the opposite i hated it. Firstly we needed the help more on the D-Line than at RB and Holliday was actually one of our better DEs last year. Also from what i have seen of Hightower he is not that good and isnt an improvement on Torian, Williams or Helu

I'm pretty happy with the trade in truth. Holliday is 35 now and although he played well last year he's only one injury away from being done. As far as D-line depth go we've added a lot to it already. In rotation we already had Carriker, Bryant and Golston. Add Bowen Cofield, Jenkins and Chris Neild to that and there's 7 guys competing for 3 starting spots, as well as a couple of undrafted rookies who've been brought in for depth.

I'm actually looking forward to seeing our D this season, especially if we do get Tatupu in to play alongside Fletcher. Haslett got our D to play hard last season but the players we had just didn't fit his 3-4 scheme. Now those personnel issues seem to have been looked at and addressed

As for Hightower, well you can't have too many good running backs. Nobody is expecting him to be Adrian Peterson but he could be a good fit for Shanahan's one-cut running game. Competition in camp can only be a good thing. Plus Torain looks to be pretty fragile so we need experienced cover on the roster

The_Hangman
06.08.2011, 12:27 PM
Locklear is a good pick up to play swing Tackle - has experience in the Zone Blocking scheme and started 15 games for Seattle last year.

Also picked up another O Lineman in Riaola. I like the Skins moves this year. Not flashy, but putting together a group of good, solid players with a professional attitude.

If only we could sort out the most important position at QB.

the over-the-hill fan
06.08.2011, 06:22 PM
If only we could sort out the most important position at QB.Tebow might be free ???? :rolleyes: