PDA

View Full Version : Draft Needs

FusionStyle
26.01.2011, 10:58 AM
Right now, where do you think we need to draft and what are the priorities?

For me it's;

#1 - Defensive End on the opposite side to Abe
#2 - Wide Receiver (Deep threat)
#3 - Linebacker (that could bring more heat)
#4 - Tight End (project to replace Tony Gonzalez after next year?)
#5 - Halfback (change of pace to Turner, replacement for Norwood the sicknote <---- Which is ashame as I like him as a player, but it's gone on too long now).

mde203
26.01.2011, 02:27 PM
Right now, where do you think we need to draft and what are the priorities?

For me it's;

#1 - Defensive End on the opposite side to Abe
#2 - Wide Receiver (Deep threat)
#3 - Linebacker (that could bring more heat)
#4 - Tight End (project to replace Tony Gonzalez after next year?)
#5 - Halfback (change of pace to Turner, replacement for Norwood the sicknote <---- Which is ashame as I like him as a player, but it's gone on too long now).

I'd be looking to add to the secondary, maybe a high-mid round safety, definitely a receiver, a mid-round TE to spell Gonzalez and learn under him and probably a DE. An outside pass rushing LB would be helpful, although I wouldn't be going too high on one, as the starting three are a great group.

FusionStyle
26.01.2011, 06:55 PM
I'd be looking to add to the secondary, maybe a high-mid round safety, definitely a receiver, a mid-round TE to spell Gonzalez and learn under him and probably a DE. An outside pass rushing LB would be helpful, although I wouldn't be going too high on one, as the starting three are a great group.

Lofton, Nicholas/Weatherspoon are good, I believe theres room for one more pass rushing linebacker. Peterson stepped up but he's old.

mde203
27.01.2011, 01:22 PM
Lofton, Nicholas/Weatherspoon are good, I believe theres room for one more pass rushing linebacker. Peterson stepped up but he's old.

Another guy in there would be nice, but like I said, I wouldn't be looking too high in the draft for one. Certainly no higher than round three depending on who is available when you pick. A safety, receiver and tight end would be the top places to look, with defensive end there if one provides good value when you pick.

FusionStyle
27.01.2011, 02:18 PM
Another guy in there would be nice, but like I said, I wouldn't be looking too high in the draft for one. Certainly no higher than round three depending on who is available when you pick. A safety, receiver and tight end would be the top places to look, with defensive end there if one provides good value when you pick.

I'm happier than most with our backfield as I believe it's the lack of pressure upfront thats caused the problems. Hence the want for another pass rushing DE like Big Abe.

Stubbsy #21
29.01.2011, 12:54 PM
From watching the Senior Bowl a name that's stood out in general is Titus Young the WR out of Boise State. He's got good hands and is an explosive deep threat. I'd like to think we'd take a look at him as I think he could do a job for us!

I can see us looking in free agency for a DE like Charles Johnson or Ray Edwards.

mde203
29.01.2011, 04:04 PM
From watching the Senior Bowl a name that's stood out in general is Titus Young the WR out of Boise State. He's got good hands and is an explosive deep threat. I'd like to think we'd take a look at him as I think he could do a job for us!

I can see us looking in free agency for a DE like Charles Johnson or Ray Edwards.

Young is very, very fast, he's got a lot to compare him to DeSean Jackson, he's that kind of build and he is that quick. As a BSU fan I watched a lot of their games last season and the number of times he had two or three yards of separation just because of his speed was crazy. He makes some great catches as well. Take a look at this one:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CzBAL-BTUW4

That basically would have taken us to the Rose Bowl had the kicker not messed up, so it was as much pressure as you could get!

FusionStyle
31.01.2011, 12:46 PM

From what I've seen of Young he's going to have a real NFL potential. Speed will draw personal fouls up and down the field, and his hands look good. Could work opposite Roddy well, and with Gonzalez staying, thats one hell of a receiving core next year.

FusionStyle
31.01.2011, 12:51 PM
What about Torrey Smith though? Better fit maybe for our system?

ianuk
06.02.2011, 12:21 PM
Personally I would like to see TD trade up to a top 5 draft pick and grabb A J Green, but the Falcons never trade up in the draft. I would still like to see another receiver arrive in the first round to help out the offense.
The TE from Notre Dame, Kyle Rudolph looks quality with a similar athletic frame (6'6, 265lb's) to TG, not found in many other TE's in the league. If he slips to the second round he's a must, and the fact that TG is sticking around for another season only makes him a better pick as he will have a great mentor to learn from.
The annual problem of a DE must be addressed this year if we are to progress, Abe needs some help out there.

Devilfalc
06.02.2011, 02:58 PM
Personally I would like to see TD trade up to a top 5 draft pick and grabb A J Green, but the Falcons never trade up in the draft. I would still like to see another receiver arrive in the first round to help out the offense.
The TE from Notre Dame, Kyle Rudolph looks quality with a similar athletic frame (6'6, 265lb's) to TG, not found in many other TE's in the league. If he slips to the second round he's a must, and the fact that TG is sticking around for another season only makes him a better pick as he will have a great mentor to learn from.
The annual problem of a DE must be addressed this year if we are to progress, Abe needs some help out there.

According to the draft value chart, to trade up in to the top 5 from #27, we'd have to give up our entire 2011 draft and our 1st pick next year.

ianuk
06.02.2011, 03:16 PM
That will be another reason why the Falcons will not trade up. I would still like to see another receiver arrive, though maybe not in the first round due to AJ being the stand out receiver in this draft. We have Roddy, Harry and Kerry as solid receivers so look for a good value later round pick. ESPN have Rudolph predicted to go in the first so maybe use first pick on him and second round on a DE.

jimmy_hobo
07.02.2011, 12:44 PM
I don't think TE will be too high, Smith and TD like Michael Palmer to be the heir apparent, and to be fair to him he showed flashes (albeit brief) of potential, another season under Gonzo and he could be good to go.

I think priority #1 for me is a reciever to play opposite White, a real speed demon ala DeSean Jackson, if there is such a player out there, I haven't seen as much college ball as I would have liked this season.

While the D-Line maybe needs an upgrade, of our current d-linemen, 7 were drafted in the last 4 drafts, 5 in Smith's tenure, I think he may look for those guys to progress and maybe pick up another developmental guy in the later rounds.

FusionStyle
08.02.2011, 08:44 AM
That will be another reason why the Falcons will not trade up. I would still like to see another receiver arrive, though maybe not in the first round due to AJ being the stand out receiver in this draft. We have Roddy, Harry and Kerry as solid receivers so look for a good value later round pick. ESPN have Rudolph predicted to go in the first so maybe use first pick on him and second round on a DE.

I'm looking at Titus Young big time from Boise. Projected Round 2-3 it seems. He's a big deep threat. Will give Roddy/Harry some more room to make plays. And I think it could allow Jenkins to be more productive.

Stubbsy #21
08.02.2011, 01:56 PM
I'm looking at Titus Young big time from Boise. Projected Round 2-3 it seems. He's a big deep threat. Will give Roddy/Harry some more room to make plays. And I think it could allow Jenkins to be more productive.

Only after I brought him to your attention! :D:D:D

On some Falcons boards there are people talking about trading for Larry Fitzgerald. Not really a deep threat but certainly ambitious. That would make our offense scary good as teams wouldn't be able to leave 8 in the box to stop the run or double cover Roddy, TG and Larry Fitz. It could be a pick your poison type of offense (thats if it happens).

FusionStyle
08.02.2011, 02:41 PM
Only after I brought him to your attention! :D:D:D

On some Falcons boards there are people talking about trading for Larry Fitzgerald. Not really a deep threat but certainly ambitious. That would make our offense scary good as teams wouldn't be able to leave 8 in the box to stop the run or double cover Roddy, TG and Larry Fitz. It could be a pick your poison type of offense (thats if it happens).

I love Fitz, I think he's been great, but is he a solution, or just a stop gap for our problem? We've already got one stop gap coming loose in Tony Gonzalez who will likely retire after next season.

And yes you did bring him to my attention, and after doing some good research I believe it could be worth reaching for him from the First Round depending on other talent being left and the obvious checks on his character.

jimmy_hobo
08.02.2011, 03:09 PM
If we were going to spend big on 1 player, as we would have to with Fitz, wouldn't Nnamdi Asomugha be a better investment?

Corner is an area we need to strengthen in terms of depth, we lost Williams for the Packers game and they mullered us, not saying he was the difference between winning and losing, but they rode Owens all night.

FusionStyle
08.02.2011, 03:45 PM
If we were going to spend big on 1 player, as we would have to with Fitz, wouldn't Nnamdi Asomugha be a better investment?

Corner is an area we need to strengthen in terms of depth, we lost Williams for the Packers game and they mullered us, not saying he was the difference between winning and losing, but they rode Owens all night.

I agree... but he surely would be HUGE bucks. Can we afford him in terms of cap, as well as drafting some talent?

FusionStyle
08.02.2011, 03:46 PM
I agree... but he surely would be HUGE bucks. Can we afford him in terms of cap, as well as drafting some talent?

This is assuming the CBA gets sorted of course.

jimmy_hobo
09.02.2011, 03:42 PM
I don't really know the cap situation and with 3 starting o-linemen needing new contracts I don't think we're going to have too much spare cash about anyway.

My point was just that while having a player like Fitz opposite White would be awesome, I think the money could be better spent, the other thing with Nnamdi at least is that we spent big on Robinson last year, I'd doubt if TD would tie down so many dollars to one position.

I would expect us to trade for, or pick up in FA (subject to CBA) an experienced player at an area of need just as we have the last 3 years.

I don't know whose available, but it would not suprise me if we went for a WR or OLB in that instance.

Off topic completely, what is the situation with Aaron Maybin in Buffalo? Playing OLB in the 3-4 has not worked out for him there at all, and there was talk of him getting cut, if that were to happen I'd love to see him get the chance to play with his hand on the ground, he could be a cheap option for our pass rush problem, certainly worth getting in to workout IMO, pointless debate if the Bills keep him around.

Devilfalc
11.02.2011, 08:59 PM

We currently have under $100m of money committed to the 2011 season. A new cap would probably be anywhere from $130m-150m. Oneht face of it we are in a good cap position and should have plenty of room, but we also have a lot of young players to sign - including 3 starting OL.

Aso is a great, but not worth $15m-20m a year IMO.

FusionStyle
14.02.2011, 11:00 AM
We currently have under $100m of money committed to the 2011 season. A new cap would probably be anywhere from $130m-150m. Oneht face of it we are in a good cap position and should have plenty of room, but we also have a lot of young players to sign - including 3 starting OL.

Aso is a great, but not worth $15m-20m a year IMO.

Would be worth an enquiry I guess. Nothing more concrete than that. At the same time the draft has a lot of cool talent in. Plus our DB's need more pressure from the edge to be able to look better.