PDA

View Full Version : Modern Redskin greats?

Dee56
19.02.2011, 12:04 PM
Reading through the favorite Redskins memories thread got me harking back to the good old days..

Started to think about weather we have any players from the Synder era that would rank with the likes of Riggins, Monk, Green, Mann, Manley etc.

Most of the players that spring to my mind tend not to be career Redskins. But then players staying with one team in the modern NFL seems to be a thing of past i suppose.

What do people think can we count players like Portis, Moss, Allen maybe even Big Daddy Wilkinson (one of my personal favorites) with the greats of the past?

Currently the player that stands out for me is DeAngelo Hall. He seems to have put his disruptive reputation behind him. & is performing at an outstanding level right now. Actually won a couple of games almost single handedly last term. Could he be the next great Redskin?

Discuss...

Redskinsno.1
19.02.2011, 06:40 PM
Hall? Seriously? Ok he got 4 Interceptions in one game but he was also our most targetted CB and gave up a fair few big plays. He is our best CB but great no chance

Dee56
19.02.2011, 10:53 PM
Hall? Seriously? Ok he got 4 Interceptions in one game but he was also our most targetted CB and gave up a fair few big plays. He is our best CB but great no chance

I rate him for the game changing plays he's made since we signed him. True he is a gambler, & will get burned at times. But i feel he brings far more pluses than minuses to our defence.

my_friend_goo
20.02.2011, 11:25 AM
Hall would be an outstanding contributor on a defense with a great pass rush and a revis/asomugha-style cornerback on the other side of the field. As it stands, he is what he is - a guy who makes plays, but gives them up too. So, in the current context, I can't put him in with the greats.

For all their criticisms, Moss and Portis have been valuable contributors since arriving in DC. Moss had the better big play capability, Portis never really coming close to matching the big run he opened up with against Tampa. I don't think they belong in a conversation involving the all-time greats, but, their performances have been amongst the highlights in a less-than-spectacular era and anyone who denies them recognition for that is a sour old cynic. I wonder how Cooley fares - again he's not without his flaws, but he's very popular.

If I had to pick a player from both sides of the ball in the modern era (for argument's sake i'm going for 2000 onwards), I'd say it would have to be Chris Samuels on offense and London Fletcher on defense. I don't think any other modern players have been so consistent throughout their careers in the burgundy and gold.

Dee56
20.02.2011, 04:43 PM
With you on Samuels.
Quietly done a great job for us..

wuds100
20.02.2011, 05:22 PM
Samuels and Portis for me (I dont go back much further)
I am a big Fletch fan but he has probably hasn't got the longevity
and has only played in one good season for us.

the over-the-hill fan
20.02.2011, 08:35 PM
Orakpo has the potential to be up there in a few years, especially if we can sort out the defensive line.

Have to agree Hall still gives up far too many yards and big plays, which imho is bad coaching.

Redskinsno.1
20.02.2011, 08:54 PM
Orakpo has the potential to be up there in a few years, especially if we can sort out the defensive line.

Have to agree Hall still gives up far too many yards and big plays, which imho is bad coaching.

Its not bad coaching its simply that he gambles an awful lot and it costs us more often than not

the over-the-hill fan
20.02.2011, 09:04 PM
Its not bad coaching its simply that he gambles an awful lot and it costs us more often than not

Maybe if he was coached better he wouldn't.

my_friend_goo
20.02.2011, 10:30 PM
Maybe if he was coached better he wouldn't.

Some people just don't/won't change. I know he has his liabilities, but he does make things happen. For that reason, I'm fine with him being on the team, but not so much with him being the #1 corner!

the over-the-hill fan
21.02.2011, 01:38 PM
I agree, he does make some big plays. But for me he makes far too many mistakes to justify gambling on almost every play. It's why he is so targeted now. Thought Shanahan would have fine-tuned his play a bit by now, which is what I really mean by bad coaching I suppose.

brave on the warpath
22.02.2011, 09:12 PM
In the last few years or so no player has come close to Sean Taylor for me, he's not in the hall of fame because he died, he's in the hall of fame because he is a legend anyway. R.I.P Sean Taylor.
As for the current crop, Orakpo is my favorite player, he has the potential to be really great. I could see Hall becoming a great if we ever get competative and start needing big plays when it really matters then he could be the man to make them, i know he gives up alot, but sometimes the players who make the big plays are the ones who gamble. If we keep Portis on then he is only about 600 away from the franchise record, does anyone else remember his first play for the skins? Cooley is a fan favorite and is another player who has done alot for the franchise.

andy32uk
12.03.2011, 12:37 PM
my modern redskins great list go like this....

yup enjoyed that.

although seriously sean taylor maybe of could been something great, sadly we will never know