PDA

View Full Version : Titans Mock Drafts

THE_TITAN
23.02.2011, 11:10 AM
Titans trade number 8 pick to Lions for picks number 13 and 75!

Round 1 (13): Jake Locker-QB-Washington

http://www.tsxdata.com/NFL/mugs/65735.jpg

Locker won't be a popular pick here, but personally, I have him ranked as the best QB in the draft. All I am seeing and hearing from the coaching staff and the hires is that we are going to be drafting a QB in the first round. Locker would bring more collegiate experience than a Gabbert or a Newton. Plus I think Locker would be less of a gamble, you have no concerns about his leadership and his arm certainly looks suitable for the NFL. He even ran a pro style offense in Washington. The one question about the guy is his accuracy, and that is always something that can be fixed with better footwork and wont be noticed as much when he has better receivers to work with. I mean look at Mark Sanchez, he isn't the most accurate guy but he is a good leader and knows how to get it done, Locker wouldn't be any different. I would be more assured with Locker than any other QB in this draft.

Round 2(39): DeAndre McDaniel-SS-Clemson

http://www.tsxdata.com/NFL/mugs/70873.jpg

There's no doubt that we need a better SS, and Chris Hope just isn't going to cut it any more. He missed about a million tackles last season and looked rubbish in coverage. I would cut the guy but we'd lose more than we gain. That's why we should bring in DeAndre McDaniel, the guy is a ballhawk safety but he can also tackle. He needs some refining, but we still have Myron Rolle as a back up and those two guys will switch around for playing time. McDaniel would provide another edge to our secondary and he will get tutored very well from a guy like Michael Griffin. Definately worth our second round pick.

Round 3(75): Mark Herzlich-OLB-Boston College

http://www.tsxdata.com/NFL/mugs/65381.jpg

We need someone new in our linbacking corps. It has been average and lacking in the second half of the season for a while now. Whether it was from fatigue or injury, it was unacceptable. So we bring in Herzlich to compete for a starting spot, he is a great leader and has good production. But his character is what takes him up a level, he overcame cancer to play in his senior season and was one of the most inspirational guys in college football. You don't worry about if the cancer re-occurs or if he is not as fit as he should be with this guy becuase you know he'll make it right and fight as hard as he can for a place. He could prove to be a steal in the third round.

Round 3(77): Greg Romeus-DE-Pittsburgh

http://www.tsxdata.com/NFL/mugs/76317.jpg

Romeus was out for most of 2010 through injury, but there is no doubting the guy has talent. He would be good value in the third round and add to a position of need with uncertainty over Babins future and guys like Ball and Ford probably leaving in free agency. Romeus would certainly compete for a starting spot or in the regular rotation in camp and his size and speed would fit both the 4-3 or 3-4 hybrid system that Munchak is so keen on running. He had 7 sacks in '08 and 8 sacks in '09, so there is clear production from the guy. I will be keen to see him at the combine and see if he rises or falls.

Round 4(108): Sione Fua-DT-Stanford

We are lacking in size in our DT's and it's showing against the run. If we bring in a guy like Fua we bring a guy that is very capable at stopping the run and is over 300lbs, so he is an adequate weight and not undersized like most of our DT's. He would be utilised in the 4-3 or 3-4 hybrid and in particular on running situations. I would go as far to say that he would be more productive than Sen'Derrick Marks in his first season than both of Mark's seasons put together.

Round 5(139): Jake Kirkpatrick-C-TCU

Amano was truly awful last year, so we bring in a solid player like Kirkpatrick. He would be a steal in the fifth round as I see him as an eventual stating center and even a pro bowl center. He has played in a solid offensive line for his college career, and a lot of that solidity came from his own play. He was a solid as one can be and he lead an offensive line that held off the pressure from Andy Dalton, and in return Dalton put up good numbers throughout his college career. He would be a good pick in round 5.

Round 6(170): John Clay-RB-Wisconsin

CJ needs the pressure taken off from him. We all know that CJ will run better when the defence has to deal with a change of pace and size. Clay brings that to the table, he is a power back and would bring great size and strength to our running group. He would take the pressure off at goal line situations and is the perfect bruising back you want to complement the lights out speed of CJ. Easily worth a sixth round pick.

Round 7(200): Lee Smith-TE-Marshall

We need a big blocking TE with Scaife likely to leave in free agency. Smith and Stevens would provide the two big blockers you need when running a run first offense. Smith is also a capable receiver and would be utilised well in our system. He is a solid guy and contributer that you want to get in a seventh round pick and would certainly be used in his rookie season.

Post your own Titans mock draft...

mde203
23.02.2011, 11:32 AM
You could get Locker in round 2, or could at least trade up from your second round pick to get him late in the first. That first round pick could be put to much better use.

Also, I don't see the Lions trading up to 8 unless Peterson is there, and if he drops to 7 he'll go there. They won't likely trade up for Amukamara in such a deep draft at corner.

Goodfry
23.02.2011, 11:50 AM
I agree with Locker in the first round. The 13# spot should be about right to get him. He is the type of guy that a coach would love to have on the bench to develop. Titans are a good situation for any high potential QB. Solid O-Line good 1# WR and one of the best all round weapons in Chris Johnson. Jake Locker was given nothing to work with in Washington. This is a great situation for him if the Redksins pass him up.

mde203
23.02.2011, 01:18 PM
I agree with Locker in the first round. The 13# spot should be about right to get him. He is the type of guy that a coach would love to have on the bench to develop. Titans are a good situation for any high potential QB. Solid O-Line good 1# WR and one of the best all round weapons in Chris Johnson. Jake Locker was given nothing to work with in Washington. This is a great situation for him if the Redksins pass him up.

As much as you like Locker, surely you wouldn't pick him at 13, as he will be very likely to be there when the Titans pick again. They can't be that high on the guy to reach for him at 13....

Even if they hear he is likely to go to Seattle at 25 there should be no shortage of trade partners just before that.

Goodfry
23.02.2011, 01:39 PM
As much as you like Locker, surely you wouldn't pick him at 13, as he will be very likely to be there when the Titans pick again. They can't be that high on the guy to reach for him at 13....

Even if they hear he is likely to go to Seattle at 25 there should be no shortage of trade partners just before that.

I would pick him at 7#

THE_TITAN
23.02.2011, 01:49 PM
For me, Locker is the best QB in the draft, I would even pick him at 8. But it makes sense to trade down to get extra picks seeing as it is likely he will fall to 13. I think the Lions would trade up to get Prince, they NEED a good corner and Prince could be a future shutdown corner. People go on about Peterson, but when I watch the tape there is very little between Prince and Peterson...

mde203
23.02.2011, 01:54 PM
It's interesting that both say you'd pick him in the top 10. I can understand why you like him, but I wouldn't go near him in the top ten unless his stock took a big rise in the weeks before the draft, which isn't going to happen imo. I can only see it going the other way.

I don't see any reason why he won't be there when Tennessee pick in round two, so I'd wait on him. Like I say, you can then trade up depending on the buzz on draft day.

THE_TITAN
23.02.2011, 01:57 PM
When it comes to a QB on draft day, you only draft the guy in round one if he is THE GUY. You have to have one guy in mind that you want as your QB, not three or four. Locker is that guy for me, I have a good feel for him and I think he would work in the Titans offense and in the locker room. That's why I take him at 13, not because of the buzz or what other people think, It's because of what I think about the guy. That's why I want him as our round one pick and thats why I take him there.

Goodfry
23.02.2011, 11:14 PM
It's interesting that both say you'd pick him in the top 10. I can understand why you like him, but I wouldn't go near him in the top ten unless his stock took a big rise in the weeks before the draft, which isn't going to happen imo. I can only see it going the other way.

I don't see any reason why he won't be there when Tennessee pick in round two, so I'd wait on him. Like I say, you can then trade up depending on the buzz on draft day.

On a few different threads you said teams should wait. For me like TITAN said if you like a guy having franchise QB potential it's hard to over draft this position. Jake Locker has enough qualities which gives him 1st round potential. If you like him you could wait for him to drop but odds i wouldn't risk him being taken by some other franchise. Jimmy Clausen dropped for red flags with his attidue and fellow Notre Dame grad Brady Quinn had busted coming out of the same system. Colt McCoy had come off a big injury, wasn't a great athlete and ran a standard college style offence with little prostyle reads.

It will be like Tebow last season. A team will fall in love with his potential his work habits and his gifted physical abilities. If i am a head coach wanting a QB to mould this guy is idea as any prospect even if he needs some work. He is far from the finished product by he will be drafted higher than expected.

mde203
24.02.2011, 09:34 AM
Fair enough. I would still not be inclined to take him that high, but can see why you might want to.

Holywood
27.02.2011, 02:45 PM
Part of me wants to look at Nick Fairley, Jarvis Jenkins in the first round because I think not having a big DT is really hurting our defense. I also am tempted to think about Akamura at CB (he could also potentially play safety). If we took a defensive player in the first round we could probably get away with stealing Locker in the 2nd, but It's a risk. I think that QB is our only offensive "NEED" except maybe a good Center/Guard (Wisniewski looks excellent - he's going to go in the top two rounds for sure) so we should spend most of the draft focusing on defense.

I like your mock draft. I definitely think we should trade down and think Locker is a good choice. We NEED a QB - I'm willing to take a chance on any of the top few in the draft but I think I want to go for an I-style offense arm guy this time. We tried the athletic scrambler in Vince - it didn't really work. Cam Newton looks great, but I don't know how well he's going to transition to the NFL, and I don't think he's a good fit for our offense.

Saw some footage of McDaniel - he looks like a solid player. I'm not sure about OLB, there may be other players still available at that point who are better, but I do agree that we need one. Tulloch, McRath, and a nice Rookie competing to start would be a nice prospect. We still have depth there with Rennie Curran etc, but our other LBs are getting older and contracts are running out etc.

I think we might need a cornerback, and with so many good ones in this draft one might fall to the 3rd round - so for me I take that over a DE. Depends on existing contracts and how the GM is going to manage that.....we definitely need a big run stuffing, block-taker-upper DT - I've never seen Fua though. Either we take D guys early and do something in FA or risk the 2nd round for QB, or else draft QB first and take what we can get later on.

It's gonna be an interesting draft, and one that we'll have to do very well in if we want to compete for the AFC South at all next season....

Holywood
27.02.2011, 02:47 PM
I've also read rumours that Munchak is thinking about running a hybrid 4-3/3-4 defense this year....could be really interesting if we can get the players in position for it, but we're going to have to improve our Linebackers (and get that big DT) for that to be possible.....

it'd also be great if the madden playbook includes both schemes ;)

Holywood
27.02.2011, 02:52 PM
Interestingly, Brian Billick thinks we should take Blaine Gabbert with our first pick. I'm not so sure, again, he could be as good as Locker. To be honest, it's a QB draft class that, for me, is very difficult in terms of predicting who can/cannot make the transition to the NFL.....

THE_TITAN
07.03.2011, 08:02 PM
Part of me wants to look at Nick Fairley, Jarvis Jenkins in the first round

We could get him in the 3rd round easily...

THE_TITAN
11.08.2011, 08:49 PM
Wow looking back on this thread, I guess I was right about Jake Locker. I stated I would be happy if we did take him with the 8th pick, and we did. I'm pretty proud of that. I will take all the credit for the Locker pick due to the fact that I am 100% sure the Titans staff looked at this thread, and drafted Locker because of it.

RUReady4SomeFootball
16.08.2011, 01:51 PM
I wanted a QB, and of the ones available, wanted Locker, so ended up happy. He made a decent start against the Vikings, so hope he can continue to improve with Hasselbeck.