PDA

View Full Version : Atogwe signs with the Skins

JD for breakfast
04.03.2011, 04:03 PM
Seems like a sound move to me. A definite upgrade in a position of need, and although he is approaching 30 years of age he should have at least 2-3 good years left in him (how old was Darren Sherper in the Saints Super Bowl year?). Atogwe will compliment Laron Landry very well as a genuine coverage safety and I'm pretty happy that we'll get a bigger contribution out of our secondary with those two on the field. More info on the deal he's signed here. Looks like we've gone about things the right way for the club for once

http://www.csnwashington.com/03/04/11/Signing-a-good-deal-for-both-Atogwe-and-/landing.html?blockID=432979&feedID=287

Gooner12
04.03.2011, 04:24 PM
Def a good signing i think!

JD for breakfast
04.03.2011, 08:23 PM
Only concern is his age but free safety is a position where you can get away with losing a step as you get older by anticipating well and reading the quarterback. Safeties tend to get better with age so hopefully OJ has his best years ahead of him

brave on the warpath
04.03.2011, 09:05 PM
a five year deal should take him through to the end of his career but i'm really exited about what Atogwe and Landry can do in the secondry, as long as they stay fit we could have a great partnership on our hands here. Rodgers, Hall, Buchanon, Landry and Atogwe dosn't sound to bad to me for a set of corners and safety's. I still worry a bout the d line but i'm not going to complain since for the first time in a while the skins have done something that dosn't seem completely ludacrise.

JD for breakfast
29.07.2011, 03:11 PM
Atogwe will wear #20 this year apparently. He's been #21 all his career but he was never going to get that number in Washington was he?

Redskinsno.1
29.07.2011, 06:22 PM
Atogwe will wear #20 this year apparently. He's been #21 all his career but he was never going to get that number in Washington was he?

He didnt ask for it out of Respect for ST. Would have been interesting to see what would have happened if he had asked for it - surely the team wouldnt have give him it.

We should just retire the number so no-one can ask for it

JD for breakfast
30.07.2011, 11:04 AM
Pretty sure the number has been retired

Redskinsno.1
31.07.2011, 06:09 PM
Pretty sure the number has been retired

According to Wiki it has not been officially retired as we dont retire numbers, never heard anything to say it has been unofficially retired either

Taylor's number 21 has not been reissued by the team. It is not known at this time if it has been removed from circulation as being "unofficially retired," as the Redskins do not retire jersey numbers. When O.J. Atogwe, who wore number 21 with the Rams, signed with the Redskins, he said that he would not take number 21.

Gman84
10.08.2011, 05:56 PM
#21 won't be worn for a long time and it'll be a brave player who eventually takes it on.

As for OJA I love this signing and I also like the fact him and Landry seem to have struck up a good friendship and understanding despite Landry not being able to practice. Also read some good tweets/updates on how OJA has been giving excellent pointers to some of the younger guys like Chris Horton.