PDA

View Full Version : Who sould start at qb?

brave on the warpath
04.03.2011, 09:22 PM
Mc Nabb, Grossman or Newton? All are possibility's Mc Nabb could probably bring himself to take an extraordinary amount of money to play for us, his experience could be usefull for us. Grossman would seem quite likely as he will be the cheapest to pay and without being to impressive at the end of last year he did atleast beat the jags and throw a few good passes. Newton is probably the best qb out of the 3 but to me it would just be dumn waste of a pick.
Feel free to add any more qb's who you think might start for us next year.

Boltonian
04.03.2011, 10:49 PM
Grossman should be signed to a cheap contract with incentives thrown in,
we need to use FA and the Draft to get better on the OL and DL.

the over-the-hill fan
05.03.2011, 10:13 AM
I don't think we should pick a QB, but there are a few others that may be around at #10. Jake Locker ??

JD for breakfast
05.03.2011, 11:44 AM
My guess is we'll go with Grossman for a year while we fill more pressing needs elsewhere. I've said this on other threads but from what I've seen Gabbert and Newton are the only QB's in this year's draft that are worth a 10th overall pick, and I'm 99% sure that they'll both be gone by then as there are plenty of teams picking before us that need a QB. Guys like Locker and Mallett may still be there in the 2nd round so we could end up with a guy like that but I doubt they'll be ready to start as rookies. I don't see anyone currently available in FA that would be a better fit than Rex so I say we go with him and rebuild the lines on both sides of the ball, especially seeing as this year draft class is loaded with D-line talent

mcshiny
09.03.2011, 06:11 PM
Newton is probably the best qb out of the 3

No way is Newton a better Qb than McNabb (or even Grossman), granted he's a freakish athlete but a very inconsistent passer and doesn't even come close to the experience and leadership McNabb brings to the table.

I'd give McNabb the job, and draft a QB in the second to let him develop, someone like Christian Ponder or Colin Kaepernick, heck even Locker might fall that far. Much rather use the first round to get a pass rusher as besides Orakpo the OLB/DEs were awful.

JD for breakfast
10.03.2011, 05:12 PM
No way is Newton a better Qb than McNabb (or even Grossman), granted he's a freakish athlete but a very inconsistent passer and doesn't even come close to the experience and leadership McNabb brings to the table.

I'd give McNabb the job, and draft a QB in the second to let him develop, someone like Christian Ponder or Colin Kaepernick, heck even Locker might fall that far. Much rather use the first round to get a pass rusher as besides Orakpo the OLB/DEs were awful.

Depends on what we can get for McNabb in trade. If we can't get decent value for him then I think we'll keep him for another year but if someone comes in offering a 3rd or 4th rounder for him in this years draft then I think he's gone

pj
10.03.2011, 06:49 PM
I really hope we don't take Newton at 10.

I don't trust QB's with just 1 year starting in college and the rarely work out.

I'm happy to accept Grossman being the starter next year given the lack of quality at the position in this years draft.

BAZILBARRY
11.03.2011, 01:16 AM
I`ve got no idea who we`re going to have as the starting QB next season.....and to be honest I don`t really care....I just want a team that`s competing...
Oh heck,I`ll go with McNabb,just cause I bought his jersey......seems as good as reason as any so far..

Buttery
17.05.2011, 06:34 PM
It's so quiet on here!

So no QB in the draft, looks like McNabb and Rexy are not hanging around, and Beck is the front runner.
What happens from here?!
Would you go with Beck and try for Luck next year? Are there any FAs you'd go for when the time comes?

my_friend_goo
17.05.2011, 10:01 PM
It's so quiet on here!

So no QB in the draft, looks like McNabb and Rexy are not hanging around, and Beck is the front runner.
What happens from here?!
Would you go with Beck and try for Luck next year? Are there any FAs you'd go for when the time comes?

well, one of us did reply to your previous post...

I suggest signing one other QB that the Shanahans like enough (their hands may be forced by the labour situation back to Grossman or in extreme circumstances only McNabb). Rumours (which do have some weight, being backed up by insiders on the ExtremeSkins board) would suggest Vince Young as an option. Plus somebody capable of being 3rd string. Let them fight it out to prove who provides them with the best chance to win.

There is no point considering "trying for Luck". My hunch would be that the Skins won't get off the bottom of the NFC East this season, which would likely suggest another top ten pick, enabling them to land a QB in the 2012 draft (assuming there is one). If Luck is guaranteed to go #1, the Redskins might not be in consideration. there's too many variables involved to pin hopes on Luck, but there may well be enough talent to land a future QB.

Buttery
18.05.2011, 08:17 AM
well, one of us did reply to your previous post...

I suggest signing one other QB that the Shanahans like enough (their hands may be forced by the labour situation back to Grossman or in extreme circumstances only McNabb). Rumours (which do have some weight, being backed up by insiders on the ExtremeSkins board) would suggest Vince Young as an option. Plus somebody capable of being 3rd string. Let them fight it out to prove who provides them with the best chance to win.

There is no point considering "trying for Luck". My hunch would be that the Skins won't get off the bottom of the NFC East this season, which would likely suggest another top ten pick, enabling them to land a QB in the 2012 draft (assuming there is one). If Luck is guaranteed to go #1, the Redskins might not be in consideration. there's too many variables involved to pin hopes on Luck, but there may well be enough talent to land a future QB.

Ha ha, sorry not ignoring you!
I think some of the columns / Shanahan's comments on Beck are persuading me he could be a surprise this year, but there's nothing substantial to base that on I guess.

I think Young would help to win now, though the Haynesworth debacle may have put everybody off someone with "character issues".

What would you think of a Matt Hasselbeck or Kyle Orton coming in?
That's also why I thought of Kolb, but I think that's highly unlikely, and for all we know Beck could be better based on their past.

my_friend_goo
18.05.2011, 08:35 PM
Hasselbeck is 35 and hasn't had a good season since 2007, so I'll pass on him with respect for what he did achieve in his prime, thanks. Orton is an intriguing possibilty - he's played well enough the past three seasons to be worth a shot, provided he does not cost the team anything significant. Apparently, he's not in consideration, though. Vince Young concerns me - I know he can make plays, especially with his legs, but he comes with plenty of concerns, including his ability to learn the playbook.

I'll stick with my opinion of Kolb - right now, with what he's asking, Andy Reid is a fool. If any team gives up what the Eagles are asking for Kolb, they become the fools. If Kolb excels as a quarterback, worthy of a first and high-round pick, I will be the fool (along with a significant number of other doubters).

Right now, Beck is an unknown quantity. Yes, he looked awful in Miami, but that was hardly an ideal situation. He was never going to beat out Flacco in Baltimore, but I think he was 3rd string there and the ultimate concern is that they were willing to give him up for Doug Dutch (who?) on loan for a few months. Can't have rated him in the same way as Shanahan, but sometimes you need to be in the right place with the right people to shine.

Harwich Hog
19.05.2011, 10:46 AM
At this point I think familiarity with system is of greatest importance.

Why Aaron Rodgers and Alex Smith's careers are so different. Aaron Rodgers had the opportunity to sit behind Brett Favre and learn Mike McCarthy's WCO for 3-4 seasons. Alex Smith was thrown in from outset in SF and didn't have an offensive coordinator for more than one season.

Todd Collins came in at the tail-end of 2007 and lit it up after following Al Saunders around for about a decade - and consequently why when he got his chance with the Chicago Bears (different system) he looked awful.

Why McNabb came in and looked, at times, very ordinary after spending about a decade running Andy Reid offences.

Why Rex Grossman came in and out-shone McNabb after spending a year and a bit backing up QBs running Kyle Shanahan's offences.

Jason Campbell will probably be good next year for the Raiders because he's going into a second season in the same system after his offensive coordinator from last year was made head coach. They also have an offensive line.

There are exceptions of course.

I just think if the case for John Beck is that he's had a year in the system, why not go with Rex who has had two years in the system? If Rex re-signs and Beck beats him out then I will be quite optimistic about what Beck can do.

If we sign Vince Young i'll probably throw myself off the top floor at work.

wuds100
21.05.2011, 06:32 AM
At this point I think familiarity with system is of greatest importance.

Why Aaron Rodgers and Alex Smith's careers are so different. Aaron Rodgers had the opportunity to sit behind Brett Favre and learn Mike McCarthy's WCO for 3-4 seasons. Alex Smith was thrown in from outset in SF and didn't have an offensive coordinator for more than one season.

Todd Collins came in at the tail-end of 2007 and lit it up after following Al Saunders around for about a decade - and consequently why when he got his chance with the Chicago Bears (different system) he looked awful.

Why McNabb came in and looked, at times, very ordinary after spending about a decade running Andy Reid offences.

Why Rex Grossman came in and out-shone McNabb after spending a year and a bit backing up QBs running Kyle Shanahan's offences.

Jason Campbell will probably be good next year for the Raiders because he's going into a second season in the same system after his offensive coordinator from last year was made head coach. They also have an offensive line.

There are exceptions of course.

I just think if the case for John Beck is that he's had a year in the system, why not go with Rex who has had two years in the system? If Rex re-signs and Beck beats him out then I will be quite optimistic about what Beck can do.

If we sign Vince Young i'll probably throw myself off the top floor at work.

You make some good points on the examples of continuity breeding success.

RichieL
21.05.2011, 02:36 PM
I would have McNabb back. Second year in the system and hopefully a better OLine.
But as that is probably not going to happen I would guess it will be Grossman. He didn't look that bad and is familiar with the system.
I think the only reason that Shannahan is talking up Beck is because Grossman isn't under contract.

Packman12
24.05.2011, 10:21 PM
Coach Ego with Son could fly to Mississippi and go to the Church of Favre for a new QB in 2011.

The_Hangman
28.05.2011, 07:34 PM
Coach Ego with Son could fly to Mississippi and go to the Church of Favre for a new QB in 2011.

Don't even joke about such things :D

pahauxsteeler
15.06.2011, 03:28 PM

No Offence to the Skins but I wouldnt put it past them.lol

Gman84
22.07.2011, 05:48 PM
It seems John Beck will be given the chance but I'm not convinced they believe in him as much as they have made out to the media. I expect Grossman to be back as he knows the system and played ok towards the end of last year. I still think Vince Young is a real possibility and I'm not as against it as others. He fits the Shanny mould of mobile, throwing on the run and big armed and he's dealt with egos and rashness in his QB's before. It's either Beck/Grossman or Young and I'd take Young as he can at least preform at a high level when on his game.

One wildcard thought though, T-Jack at the Vikings, he's likely gone from there and is a similar sort of player to Vince Young. Just throwing it out there......

Riggo
26.07.2011, 09:43 PM
I just an interview with Beck on the tv show Redskins Nation moments ago. If nothing else, he has great attitude.

Jonny73
13.08.2011, 03:50 PM
I was at last nights preseason game against the Steelers in DC, I was impressed with Grossman. I can't see Beck beating out Grossman in the pre-season to earn the starting job unless Grossman gets injured.

I can't believe I paid $15 for a Johnny Rockets burger and fries and the fries were cold. :mad:

my_friend_goo
14.08.2011, 10:19 AM
I was at last nights preseason game against the Steelers in DC, I was impressed with Grossman. I can't see Beck beating out Grossman in the pre-season to earn the starting job unless Grossman gets injured.

I can't believe I paid $15 for a Johnny Rockets burger and fries and the fries were cold. :mad:

That'll be the FedEx experience for ya... Fortunately, I didn't have to rely on stadium vendors when I went, so I don't know the full scale of how bad it is on that front. In future, I think I'll take advantage of the ExtremeSkins tailgate party pre-game for food needs.

By all accounts, Rex played well, but it was just one game. I'd be interested to know from you how much the Steelers tried to apply pressure during the game - were they tame by normal standards? Reports are that the O-line played a good game, but I can't imagine Dick LeBeau going all out on the blitzes during the first preseason game.

JD for breakfast
14.08.2011, 04:52 PM
I watched the game on Friday. Rex played pretty well it has to be said. The Steelers starters only played for the first couple of drives though so he was facing second and third stringers for most of the first half. I was more pleased with how well we ran the ball though. Hightower looks like an ideal fit for the scheme

Jonny73
14.08.2011, 07:06 PM
By all accounts, Rex played well, but it was just one game. I'd be interested to know from you how much the Steelers tried to apply pressure during the game - were they tame by normal standards? Reports are that the O-line played a good game, but I can't imagine Dick LeBeau going all out on the blitzes during the first preseason game.

Pre-season is a bit misleading, the defenses are usually very vanilla so they don't give anything away for the regular season. I don't remember seeing the Steelers blitz much.

Big Ben sat down after one series, Byron Leftwich and Dennis Dixon didn't do much.

my_friend_goo
15.08.2011, 11:39 AM
Pre-season is a bit misleading, the defenses are usually very vanilla so they don't give anything away for the regular season. I don't remember seeing the Steelers blitz much.

Big Ben sat down after one series, Byron Leftwich and Dennis Dixon didn't do much.

Yep, as I expecited and for exactly the reasons you gave. It does sound like they did send more than a 4-man rush at times, but I can imagine that some of the more imaginative blitzes will be left for the regular season adn I'm sure the frequency was toned down. I'd be worried, though, if the O-line was struggling against a normal pass rush.

Harwich Hog
24.08.2011, 11:53 AM
If it's close come the end of the pre-season they go with John Beck. I think they want John Beck to beat Grossman out. He has more upside for them.

Grossman knows the offensive scheme but he has mental deficiencies that will lose games. I think John Beck is a smarter player - if he can begin to grasp the offence as well as Grossman, he's the better choice.

Truth is though at my current stage of low expectations i've been impressed with both and would be happy with either :eek:

G_Redskin
26.08.2011, 07:16 PM
Im going with Beck for starter in Game one. I just get the feeling that he will get the job ahead of Rex and go from strength to strength.

Dont get me wrong I dont think hes a world beater but hes the best weve got for now

Get our running Game going and we wont have to rely on our passing Game too much so a non elete QB will get the job done for the Skins.

Gman84
27.08.2011, 12:57 PM
I've said before that I believe Grossman should start but I'm pretty convinced Beck will get the nod in Week 1 now. Grossman has shown he can run the two minute drill well but he's still a little too erratic and Beck seems a little more consistent but also willing to get the ball down the field more as well as being more mobile so I think he's going to get his shot. I hope he grabs it with both hands and never looks back. I'm sick of never having a decent QB.

Armondo
29.08.2011, 08:31 PM
Its got to be Beck. You know what you get with Grossman , inconsistent play.

andy32uk
03.09.2011, 09:51 AM
lets hope for a 0-16 season and pick up andrew luck :)

Gman84
03.09.2011, 11:02 AM
No thanks, Luck would be great but you can't and won't tank a season. This team has improved everywhere except QB IMO and we can compete although whether it'll show in the win-loss column is to be seen. I think Beck is going to get the shot but I have a feeling Grossman will end up playing most of the season.

JD for breakfast
05.09.2011, 04:17 PM
I think Grossman getting rested against the Bucs is a bit of a clue, although I'm not sure which way to take it lol. Was he being kept out of harms way before the regular season started so he'll be available to start against the Giants? Or was Shanahan taking the chance to give Beck more time to play with the starters to allow them to gel?

my_friend_goo
05.09.2011, 06:04 PM
Well, according to Jason LaCanfora, team sources have told him it's Grossman.

So, unless Schefter has made similar reports, it's probably Beck.

JD for breakfast
05.09.2011, 06:12 PM
Being reported widely now that it will be Grossman. So I guess that's that! Seems strange to me that it's been revealed now though, seeing as Shanahan had madee quite a big deal about keeping people guessing. Unless he has something up his sleeve.....

Gman84
05.09.2011, 06:13 PM
Well, according to Jason LaCanfora, team sources have told him it's Grossman.

So, unless Schefter has made similar reports, it's probably Beck.

Schefter reporting it's Grossman too and it's all over NFL.com as breaking news. I did expect Beck but I think he may have worked his way out of the job with a spotty performance in the last game. From all reports in camp he is more inconsistent generally, some days hitting most of his throws, other days off with the majority. He may well still get his chance at some point but I hope they give Rex a decent shot at making the job his and not pulling him after a couple of mistakes.

JD for breakfast
05.09.2011, 06:24 PM
More inconcsistent than Rex Grossman? Not something you want on your CV as a quarterback!

my_friend_goo
05.09.2011, 06:30 PM
Schefter reporting it's Grossman too and it's all over NFL.com as breaking news. I did expect Beck but I think he may have worked his way out of the job with a spotty performance in the last game. From all reports in camp he is more inconsistent generally, some days hitting most of his throws, other days off with the majority. He may well still get his chance at some point but I hope they give Rex a decent shot at making the job his and not pulling him after a couple of mistakes.

Yep, the sxe cannon it is....

TIME TO UNLEASH THE DRAGON!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Dee56
07.09.2011, 12:33 PM
I think Grossman is the right choice.

From what i saw & read. He has out performed Beck during the pre-season. & has earned his chance. Although I'm not betting he'll finish the year as starter. Historically we're not very patient with QB's in DC. & i can't help but feel that Beck will be under centre if Grossman struggles..

& we will definitely be in the market for a QB in the new year...

JD for breakfast
07.09.2011, 02:33 PM
You have to say that Grossman is the starter on merit going off the pre-season performances. Beck can't say that he wasn't given a fair crack at winning the job but he just didn't produce regularly. Shanahan did a similar job of making Jake Plummer into a handy starter

I'm hoping that our running game and D is good enough so that we don't have to rely on Rex Grossman to win us too many games

Dee56
07.09.2011, 04:40 PM
I'm hoping that our running game and D is good enough so that we don't have to rely on Rex Grossman to win us too many games

Make you right....
The ground game & Defence are going to make or break our season..

redskin40daz
08.09.2011, 06:41 PM
Personally I think our D and ground game should be fine. In my opinion, our weakness will be our O Line in pass protection, and Rex might have to get used to sitting on his **** a lot this season.

Riggo
08.09.2011, 11:29 PM
After watching interviews with Beck and Grossman I think it is a mistake not to go with Beck. He seems like a better leader than Grossman.

my_friend_goo
09.09.2011, 07:43 PM
After watching interviews with Beck and Grossman I think it is a mistake not to go with Beck. He seems like a better leader than Grossman.

Don't know about Beck so much, but Grossman seems to get on very well with his teammates. He has a better deep ball too. Beck is more mobile and offers more on the rollouts, but can throw more ugly passes. I think they both get to see time this year, but whoever is behind centre, I want them to succeed and I'll give them my backing.

Riggo
09.09.2011, 11:07 PM
Don't know about Beck so much, but Grossman seems to get on very well with his teammates. He has a better deep ball too. Beck is more mobile and offers more on the rollouts, but can throw more ugly passes. I think they both get to see time this year, but whoever is behind centre, I want them to succeed and I'll give them my backing.

Credit shanny with making sure every other player likes both QB's, and maybe they do.
But Rex just seems like a soft doughey blob that needs to be rolled in flour.

Mr.Indecisive
15.09.2011, 08:08 PM
Credit shanny with making sure every other player likes both QB's, and maybe they do.
But Rex just seems like a soft doughey blob that needs to be rolled in flour.

best review of a QB EVER :D

Gman84
16.09.2011, 09:20 PM
I want to see how many fall off the wagon once he has a tough game, hard to expect a QB to play well in 16 games.

Dee56
17.09.2011, 12:33 AM
I want to see how many fall off the wagon once he has a tough game, hard to expect a QB to play well in 16 games.

I don't think anyone thinks he's the long term answer to our QB problems. But right now he's shown he's the best of a bad bunch..

Gman84
17.09.2011, 10:45 AM
I don't think anyone thinks he's the long term answer to our QB problems. But right now he's shown he's the best of a bad bunch..

Lets say he plays well enough not to lose the job and we win 7-9 games where does that leave us? Re-sign him to another short term deal (say 2 years) and draft someone to groom behind him?

What if he has a great season, not Pro Bowl type (might be a bit hopeful that) but say 58%, 3,500 yds, 20+ TD's, not as many ints and fumbles - do they make a long term commitment to him? Even if he produced that type of season I think that's a massive risk and I'd still look at only doing a short term deal.

BAZILBARRY
17.09.2011, 03:56 PM
Lets say he plays well enough not to lose the job and we win 7-9 games where does that leave us? Re-sign him to another short term deal (say 2 years) and draft someone to groom behind him?

What if he has a great season, not Pro Bowl type (might be a bit hopeful that) but say 58%, 3,500 yds, 20+ TD's, not as many ints and fumbles - do they make a long term commitment to him? Even if he produced that type of season I think that's a massive risk and I'd still look at only doing a short term deal.
Think you`re pretty much spot on there,short term deal to groom another QB suits me fine,I just can`t see that there`s much more improvement left in Rex to keep him forever and a day.

Gman84
17.09.2011, 10:37 PM
Be interesting to see if he was to start for a year or two if he'd accept a demotion and hang around as he seems comfortable here and likes the offense and I'd have no problem with him as a strong #2 assuming someone could eventually take the role off of him.

Mr.Indecisive
18.09.2011, 08:31 PM
Think you`re pretty much spot on there,short term deal to groom another QB suits me fine,I just can`t see that there`s much more improvement left in Rex to keep him forever and a day.

the improvement problem was ever apparent today, although he helped drive us to the W, he also threw a lot more balls a lot wilder than last week, 2 picks didn't help. To his credit though he did save the game when his own tipped pass nearlly landed in the Cards hands only for him to push it to the ground, in an ideal world he would have of course caught it instead :p (saying that would have meant a loss of yards) :D

my_friend_goo
18.09.2011, 09:34 PM
It's obvious that although Rex can move the offense around well, he's neither the ideal nor long-term solution. I don't have any major issues with the way he's played, even if he didn't have his best game tonight, he did enough to lead the Redskins to victory. If the Redskins can pick up a franchise quarterback during the draft, it'll be interesting to watch this team going forward with the foundation they've appeared to build.

Riggo
19.09.2011, 09:24 PM
I just cringe every time Rex releases the ball. I'm sure he a good guy: doesn't kick small children and is kind to dogs etc but I wish he was on the bench.

Gman84
21.09.2011, 03:10 PM
Some interesting observations from Rich Campbell at the Washington Times regarding Grossman (whole article is a good read actually):

The Cardinals batted down six (!) of QB Rex Grossman?s passes at the line of scrimmage. Their linemen made a concerted effort to get their hands up. All teams do, but it was more noticeable against Arizona.

here?s the breakdown of QB Rex Grossman?s day against the blitz.

Against four rushers, he was 13-of-28 for 145 yards, a touchdown and an interception. His passer rating was 59.4.

Against five or more rushers (the blitz), he was 12-of-15 for 146 yards, a touchdown, an interception and a sack. His passer rating was 101.7.

The Cardinals made things difficult by dropping seven in coverage and limiting his options downfield on 64 percent of his dropbacks.

Dee56
21.09.2011, 05:49 PM

That's my ideal scenario.

I think we need to stop looking for the quick fit. Hopefully he can do a reasonable job. While we bring in a young QB to groom for the long term..

sutton red
23.09.2011, 10:01 PM
why fix it when it anit broke,,,,,we are 2-0 hopefully we beat the cowboys which is live on ESPN monday night we have not set the nfl alive by smashing passing recoreds but we are getting the job done albeit close call v the cardanals last week i won,t complain if we do the same all season as long as we win...:D

JD for breakfast
24.09.2011, 11:37 AM
why fix it when it anit broke,,,,,we are 2-0 hopefully we beat the cowboys which is live on ESPN monday night we have not set the nfl alive by smashing passing recoreds but we are getting the job done albeit close call v the cardanals last week i won,t complain if we do the same all season as long as we win...:D

I don't think anyone will complain about how we've started but let's be realistic. Rex Grossman isn't a viable long-term solution as our QB. He is proving to be a very capable stop-gap at the minute but I don't think he'll ever be anything more than that for us. He just isn't reliable enough and I think he's excelling at the minute, at least in part, because we're running the ball better than we have in recent seasons. Once we come up against a team that stuffs our running game the game will be on Rex's shoulders. Then we'll see what he can do

Riggo
17.10.2011, 05:42 PM
If only Shanny had read my posts earlier in this thread the Redskins would be 5-0 instead of a miserable 3-2

Dee56
18.10.2011, 02:23 PM
Surprisingly the players still seem to be behind Grossman..
Watch this space..

http://www.redskins.com/news-and-events/article-1/Moss-Says-Grossman-Should-Remain-Starter/07e45bc6-6376-4436-897e-e44e68469b32

marktaylor
21.10.2011, 11:33 AM
niether Grossman or Beck are the answer

what's Sammy Baugh doing these days?

iffies
21.10.2011, 11:46 AM

You can have Jason Campbell back next year ;)

Dee56
21.10.2011, 11:56 AM

I'm thinking about trying out for the job..
If nothing else, I'm cap friendly... ;)

jklcan1
07.11.2011, 07:20 PM
Would you stick with Beck or go back to Rex for the next game?

BAZILBARRY
07.11.2011, 08:18 PM
Would you stick with Beck or go back to Rex for the next game?
Stick with Beck,the season`s pretty much done....unless we go on a winning streak...
I used to be indecisive,but now,I`m not so sure...

Britskin
07.11.2011, 08:37 PM
Definitely don't go back to Rex. Beck does not fill me with confidence either though.

They both make too many mistakes and bad decisions.

Dee56
07.11.2011, 09:26 PM
Back to Rex for me...

Beck has had his chance & blown it. They're both pretty bad. But Grossman is the best of a very bad bunch.

jklcan1
08.11.2011, 09:19 AM
I would go with Rex again,though they're both very poor.

RichieL
08.11.2011, 11:54 AM
I've got Helu in my fantasy team so with Checkdown Beck under centre he can expect 10-15 catches a game.
I would go with Grossman because he at least tries to get the ball downfield but I'm sure they will stick with Beck.

Dee56
08.11.2011, 12:52 PM
I've got Helu in my fantasy team so with Checkdown Beck under centre he can expect 10-15 catches a game.
I would go with Grossman because he at least tries to get the ball downfield but I'm sure they will stick with Beck.

I'm the genius that took Helu out of my team last week!! :mad:

my_friend_goo
08.11.2011, 07:20 PM
It seems as though teams were figuring out that you didn't need to blitz to beat Rex - just drop guys back into coverage and take out the middle of the field. He was averaging more than two turnovers per game and barely more than one touchdown per game (increasing slightly if you argue that he led the team to running touchdowns in the Red Zone - there were no huge TD runs involved). His completion % steadily declined from 61.7% to 40.9% (51.7% if you want to put in his last full game).

Yet, all of Rex's touchdowns came with Skins still in the game. On the other hand, John Beck is contributing an average of 1 touchdown per game. His completion percentage has floated around the 60% mark. He has turned the ball over just over once per game, but he has spontaneously fumbled and recovered twice. His first half performances have been significantly weaker than his second half performances - he has not lead the team to a first half touchdown. It has been argued that Beck's stats have been padded by teams playing softer when they have a lead and that his scores have largely come when the game has been out of hand. Rex, however, has been pretty similar in both halves in each game.

Sure, I'm cherry picking stats here and stats by no means tell the true story. But I've aimed to be as balanced as possible. Maybe teams were figuring Rex out, maybe he just had back-to back poor games vs the Rams and Eagles. Rex had the day one starters surrounding him, Beck has not. Is it really going to make a huge amount of difference to the Redskins' fortunes this season whoever starts? Probably not. But Beck is so far making a poorer case for himself. Given another game this week, he'll have had as much playing time as Rex this season (nearly) and another performance along similar lines may see Rex come back into play. A return of Rex is by no means unlikely - he has arguably had the most success of the two quarterbacks this season (ugh!) and there is a certain amount of evidence out there that the players have more faith in him than they do Beck.

thonour
09.11.2011, 08:33 PM
we should go back to Rex this year. He didn't get a good enough chance. But just play the rest of the season out now, get a top 10 pick and bring in QB Landry Jones from Oklahoma university. He is looking in good shape this season, and would be a good pick for the skins, as he has a good arm and we have a few good wide receivers in Moss, Gaffney and Hankerson.

70 chip
10.11.2011, 02:53 PM
The Shanahan's as I have said before make far too many QB changes, Grossman should never have been pulled for Beck (not that I think Grossman is the answer moving forward by any means)

JD for breakfast
11.11.2011, 05:14 PM
What baffels me the most is how the responsibility is being placed on QB's that everyone knows are sub-par. Why aren't we running the ball more? We saw how good Torain can be last year and against St. Louis this season. Pound the rock! Take some pressure off whoever is playing QB. At least be balanced with play selection. I read a stat somewhere that in the 2nd half this season we've thrown the ball 83% of the time! Ok we've been behind in a lot of those games but Kyle has been far too quick to abandon the running game IMO

Dee56
11.11.2011, 05:28 PM
What baffels me the most is how the responsibility is being placed on QB's that everyone knows are sub-par. Why aren't we running the ball more? We saw how good Torain can be last year and against St. Louis this season. Pound the rock! Take some pressure off whoever is playing QB. At least be balanced with play selection. I read a stat somewhere that in the 2nd half this season we've thrown the ball 83% of the time! Ok we've been behind in a lot of those games but Kyle has been far too quick to abandon the running game IMO

I think you make a sound point.
But i think part of the problem is that teams are stacking up to stop our run because they know our QBs are so bad that they don't have to worry about the pass..

JD for breakfast
11.11.2011, 10:06 PM
I think you make a sound point.
But i think part of the problem is that teams are stacking up to stop our run because they know our QBs are so bad that they don't have to worry about the pass..

Possibly, although I don't think that's a good enough reason to abandon the run altogether. Unless you're an elite poassing team you have to make defenses respect the ground game by being balanced, otherwise they just drop 6-7 back into coverage and wait for a bad throw. I think this may have been a part of what happened to Rex and his interceptitis

70 chip
11.11.2011, 10:53 PM
We are 25th in the league in yards per carry, 29th in the league in 1st Down % from the run, 28th in rushing yards per game and 29th in rushing attempts.

For me, they are committed to throwing the ball because our offensive line is so damn bad. Now obviously while this affects both sides of the offense, the return, even as bad as our pass game is, is greater when throwing the ball.

17th in the league in yards per game passing, and while we rank 22nd in yards per attempt that still checks out to 6.7 yds per attempt, even considering how bad our quarterback play is.

70 chip
12.11.2011, 09:38 PM
Grossman and Beck split first team reps in practice for the first time since Grossman was benched. Grossman also split first team reps with McNabb last year immediately before replacing him. Watch this space.............

andy32uk
13.11.2011, 05:42 PM
Rex just been named as starter.....ohhh goody

dstarr83
13.11.2011, 11:47 PM
Not good. I am a fan of Mike Shanaghan though, so hopefully he's just forward planning for next year.

Riggo
18.11.2011, 01:19 AM
OK OK OK
I was wrong about Beck.

Rex is the man that will lead the team to glory.

Dee56
18.11.2011, 07:29 AM
OK OK OK
I was wrong about Beck.

Rex is the man that will lead the team to glory.

To be fair, everybody was wrong about both of them.. ;)
At least they should lead us to the No1 pick in the draft...

70 chip
18.11.2011, 01:37 PM

As in ' We knew it was going to to be bad, but not THIS bad' ? :-)

Dee56
18.11.2011, 03:03 PM
As in ' We knew it was going to to be bad, but not THIS bad' ? :-)

LMAO... Spot on! :D

my_friend_goo
18.11.2011, 05:26 PM

erm, you have seen how Indy are playing, right?

However, unless anything changes, the Skins should be in a good position to acquire our next great hope at QB.

JD for breakfast
18.11.2011, 05:28 PM

The Colts have that locked on I think. Hard to be worse than 0-16! We should easily be top 10 though, maybe top 5. You can't win football games without scoring points, and we're not very good at that

Boltonian
18.11.2011, 10:02 PM
To be fair even though we knew how bad our QB's are, we never thought that we
would be without our starting WR,TE,RB,LG among others going down for the
season, but a part of me thinks Shanahan might have been a bit quick putting them
on IR, maybe with a thought on a very high pick next year.

HTTR

Dee56
19.11.2011, 08:41 AM
erm, you have seen how Indy are playing, right?

However, unless anything changes, the Skins should be in a good position to acquire our next great hope at QB.

I'm sure we can play far worst than Indy if we put or minds to it.. ;)

my_friend_goo
19.11.2011, 11:46 AM
I'm sure we can play far worst than Indy if we put or minds to it.. ;)

Joking aside, the players most certainly aren't putting their minds to that and I'd far rather they didn't. Mike has done all he can to change the culture on the team, it would be a waste to ruin that.

Anyway, the Redskins have a near insurmountable 3 game headstart on the Colts.

Dee56
19.11.2011, 12:06 PM
Joking aside, the players most certainly aren't putting their minds to that and I'd far rather they didn't. Mike has done all he can to change the culture on the team, it would be a waste to ruin that.

Make you right there.

I actually do feel there is real potential in DC. If we can find a long term solution to the QB issue. He's cleared out all the mercenaries. & brought some young hungry talent.
Maybe that's why this season has become so frustrating.. Because you get the feeling that we're close. But not quite close enough.

ArtMonk81
19.11.2011, 03:57 PM
I think alot of us thought it was going to be another bad season, but after a 3-1 start many fans expceted better things. I sincerely thought the record flattered them enormously after dodgy wins against the Cards and Rams, but that sounds like "i told you so" which it really isnt.
I just hope Snyder sees that Shanahan is the best thing to happen to the Skins in a long time, and still gives him plenty of time to do stuff...Was it Wanyne Fontes that talked about a 5 Year Plan with the Lions back in the late 80's - early 90's and to be fair he led them to the Championship Game. Cant remember what happened there though ;-)

70 chip
20.11.2011, 10:17 PM
If we have another,ANOTHER crappy season next year however good the offseason business is Shanahan won't last the season.

We need to have one hell of a draft and some big FA signings on the offensive line.