PDA

View Full Version : Trade up?

FusionStyle
07.03.2011, 01:13 PM
Would you trade up in the NFL draft, grab a big time DE or WR?

ianuk
07.03.2011, 02:27 PM
In an earlier thread I suggested trading up to get AJ Green, but it was pointed out that to get a top 5 pick it would take all our 2011 draft picks and next years 1st round. I don't see to much more value between picks 6 and 27 as this years draft is stacked with defensive talent.

Regarding a WR after the combine I am more impressed with Julio Jones than AJ Green, but would still rather go for a big name receiver in free agency or a mid round receiver where there seems to be good value.

Round One: DE
Round Two: TE, please let Rudolph still be there.
Round Three: WR
Later Rounds use to build depth or possibly OL depending on who leaves.

FusionStyle
07.03.2011, 03:31 PM
In an earlier thread I suggested trading up to get AJ Green, but it was pointed out that to get a top 5 pick it would take all our 2011 draft picks and next years 1st round. I don't see to much more value between picks 6 and 27 as this years draft is stacked with defensive talent.

Regarding a WR after the combine I am more impressed with Julio Jones than AJ Green, but would still rather go for a big name receiver in free agency or a mid round receiver where there seems to be good value.

Round One: DE
Round Two: TE, please let Rudolph still be there.
Round Three: WR
Later Rounds use to build depth or possibly OL depending on who leaves.

Indeed seems to be the way re: value, but with teams such as Oakland around, like value and common sense comes into it eh? ;) lol

Smograider
07.03.2011, 06:35 PM
Indeed seems to be the way re: value, but with teams such as Oakland around, like value and common sense comes into it eh? ;) lol

A cheap shot at old Al Davis - full marks for originality;)

Aikman_8
07.03.2011, 07:05 PM
Torrey Smith and Jonathan Baldwin both look like decent prospects who should be around when you pick. No way can you trade up far enough as i dont think Julio Jones will make it past the Rams.

FusionStyle
08.03.2011, 08:52 AM
A cheap shot at old Al Davis - full marks for originality;)

Ha ha, I love the guy. When he disappears from the NFL, it will be a less entertaining place for us all.

FusionStyle
08.03.2011, 08:52 AM
Torrey Smith and Jonathan Baldwin both look like decent prospects who should be around when you pick. No way can you trade up far enough as i dont think Julio Jones will make it past the Rams.

I tend to agree, it was a discussion point as I've seen it flirted with over other Falcons forums/websites but not really discussed in detail.

Aikman_8
29.04.2011, 07:15 AM
Wel the Falcons found a way to get their man. By the sounds of it they nearly got AJ Green!

ianuk
29.04.2011, 10:28 AM
I said in a previous post great addition to the roster. I still have concerns though about where this DE is coming from. A TE would also be good, someone who can spend a year learning for Gonzalez.

liamparr4
29.04.2011, 10:46 AM
Let me get this right, to get Julio Jones the Falcons exchanged first rounds picks and traded:

This years 2nd round pick
This years 4th round pick
Next years 1st round pick
Next years 4th round pick

This kid had better be produce other wise Dimitroff will be staring down the barrell.

"In his own words, Dimitroff called the move “bold” in financial terms and “aggressive.”"

Stupidity i'd call it.

Aikman_8
29.04.2011, 11:20 AM
Let me get this right, to get Julio Jones the Falcons exchanged first rounds picks and traded:

This years 2nd round pick
This years 4th round pick
Next years 1st round pick
Next years 4th round pick

This kid had better be produce other wise Dimitroff will be staring down the barrell.

"In his own words, Dimitroff called the move “bold” in financial terms and “aggressive.”"

Stupidity i'd call it.

Is it really that stupid though? This years 1st was 27ovr and barring a catastrophic season next years should be about the same.

I like gutsy moves like this and Julio Jones was regarded as a top prospect, so i say fair play to the Falcons.

jimmy_hobo
29.04.2011, 01:35 PM
I couldn't be happier with this move!

In my opinion we've addressed our biggest need with arguably the best player at that position (IMO Green and Jones were so close together in terms of talent, you couldn't criticise a team for taking one over the other).

Yes we've given up next years 1st and 4th, but that is with the hope they are 32 in the respective rounds, yes we gave up our 2nd and 4th this year, but we still have 6 picks left in this draft (3rd, 5th, 6th and three 7ths).

We have needs at TE, OLB, CB and DE, but they were not IMO as important as getting a WR than can take the top off a defence.

So in summary, happy.

ianuk
29.04.2011, 01:52 PM
I couldn't be happier with this move!

In my opinion we've addressed our biggest need with arguably the best player at that position (IMO Green and Jones were so close together in terms of talent, you couldn't criticise a team for taking one over the other).

Yes we've given up next years 1st and 4th, but that is with the hope they are 32 in the respective rounds, yes we gave up our 2nd and 4th this year, but we still have 6 picks left in this draft (3rd, 5th, 6th and three 7ths).

We have needs at TE, OLB, CB and DE, but they were not IMO as important as getting a WR than can take the top off a defence.

So in summary, happy.

Good to see fellow Falcon fans as happy as I am.
With those picks left DE will come from Free Agency when the CBA is agreed. Steve Wyche on NFL.com mentioned Ray Edwards as a possible?

jimmy_hobo
29.04.2011, 02:04 PM
I'd love Edwards in ATL.

I fully expect us to (as we have in the last 3 years) make a big experienced free agent/trade signing.

El_Pac
29.04.2011, 04:59 PM
Sorry but you have massively overpaid for him. As a Rams fan I wanted him to fall to us but I would have been raving had we killed this year and next years draft which is what your lot have done. For the picks you have given up I'd be expecting a player not far off Andre Johnson standard. For a team thats defence got raped in the playoffs I'd have looked to strengthen there TBF.

Good luck with it though!

ianuk
29.04.2011, 05:27 PM
Just flicking through some of the draft coverage and came across this list of small school prospects that could have big futures and all should be available round three onwards.

Rob Housler, TE, Florida Atlantic, 6'6", 249lb's, 80 inch wingspan. With Kyle Rudolph the top TE prospect probably going early in the second round this guy seems to be getting a lot of attention as the second best option. He seems to have the size and a season learning from Gonzalez could see him make big strides.

Curtis Marsh, CB, Utah State, 6', 194lb's, ran the 40 in 4.42, 37 inch vertical jump. Seems to have the athletic side of things sorted. Daunta Robinson and Brent Grimes I don't think are as bad as people seem to suggest. This guy could add depth and competition which Smith loves.

Taiwan Jones, RB, Eastern Washington, 6', 194lb's, 40 time 4.2. Last Season 1742 yards, 14 TD's. Downside cannot run between the tackles. I know that RB is not a need but this guy could be used to reduce the wear and tear on Turner. He has the speed and a nose for the end zone which is always nice in a RB. More teams are also using a two RB combination now so if he is their in round seven he is worth a punt.

DE I believe will be addressed in the free agency as the guy who comes in at that position will need to be a starter for sure.

Devilfalc
29.04.2011, 06:54 PM
I know we may have been close last year, but this was just a crazy move - especially when we don't even know what the FA rules are going to be for the next 2 years.

By my reckoning the falcons could lose 9 starters to free agency or retirement (Dahl, Claybo, McClure, Gonzalez, Biermann, Abraham, Nicholson, Decoud, Grimes) in the next 12 months if the league returns to the old FA rules (4 accrued seasons to become a UFA). Ok, so we probabaly won't lose them all, and we may have 1 or 2 replacments on the roster already, but its going to be tough to stand still - let alone make any upgrades - with so few hgh value picks left in the 2011 and 2012 drafts.

I'd much rather have stayed put and used out picks to strengthen 5 areas of need, rather than use 5 picks for a #2 WR.

This move could work, but it could also set the Falcons back 2 years.

boomer07uk
29.04.2011, 07:51 PM
I know we may have been close last year, but this was just a crazy move - especially when we don't even know what the FA rules are going to be for the next 2 years.

By my reckoning the falcons could lose 9 starters to free agency or retirement (Dahl, Claybo, McClure, Gonzalez, Biermann, Abraham, Nicholson, Decoud, Grimes) in the next 12 months if the league returns to the old FA rules (4 accrued seasons to become a UFA). Ok, so we probabaly won't lose them all, and we may have 1 or 2 replacments on the roster already, but its going to be tough to stand still - let alone make any upgrades - with so few hgh value picks left in the 2011 and 2012 drafts.

I'd much rather have stayed put and used out picks to strengthen 5 areas of need, rather than use 5 picks for a #2 WR.

Perfectly said.

HSTDriver
30.04.2011, 08:39 AM
Sorry but you have massively overpaid for him. As a Rams fan I wanted him to fall to us but I would have been raving had we killed this year and next years draft which is what your lot have done. For the picks you have given up I'd be expecting a player not far off Andre Johnson standard. For a team thats defence got raped in the playoffs I'd have looked to strengthen there TBF.

This.

The Falcons problems weren't with that side of the ball. They've overpaid for a player who could be great. But it's not a move to take them to the next level.

jimmy_hobo
01.05.2011, 03:06 PM

Good luck with it though!

The beauty of the draft is that neither you or I know if we've over paid for him until he hits the field. We may well have the next Andre Johnson for all we know.

I turst that TD has made the move with all of that in mind, and while we may lose players to FA, we're also likely to dip into the FA pool to replace players as well.

This.

The Falcons problems weren't with that side of the ball. They've overpaid for a player who could be great. But it's not a move to take them to the next level.

The Falcons finished 31st in terms of passing plays over 20 yards, we desperately needed a WR who can take the top off a defence, now we have one. If the D was being exposed every week as it was against the Packers I might agree with you, but it wasn't.

ianuk
01.05.2011, 04:54 PM
I just love all this talk of over paying for players and not drafting in the right positions. Atlanta are going all out for the SB and moves like this prove that. They have very few needs so are only looking for players they believe will become truely elite talent and Jones is one of them. This means to a certain degree draft values become irrelevant, you have to do whatever it takes to get that high pick and lets face it next years first round pick should not be inside the top 28.

A lot of the discussions on the state of the franchise focuses on that Green Bay game. Well their defence double teamed White whenever our offense took to the field and our defence stayed on the field so long that they became exhausted quickly. Picks like this will keep our offense on the field for longer periods and take away the double team threat to White. Green Bay scored 22 points in the second quarter of that game more than we scored in the whole game so maybe offense is the best form of denfense in this case.

The glaring need on defense is a DE to play alongside Abraham. Our defense is still very young so adding a veteran would not be such a bad idea, with the amount of good DE's in this draft a few more veterans may be avialable through FA. One that is strongly linked is Ray Edwards.

If this all pans out they way TD and Smith want then we would have one heck of a team. A franchise QB with all these weapons and a defense lead by Abraham and Edwards.

HSTDriver
01.05.2011, 05:54 PM
Atlanta are going all out for the SB and moves like this prove that.

If the move backfires (and chances are it will, 31 teams fail every year;)) then it will prove costly for the Falcons.

A short term move that leads to a superbowl win is worth the pain of a few bad years afterwards. But If you don't win the big one then the painful years are going to be there anyway.

I'd like to wish you luck. But obviously that would be stooopid :p

jimmy_hobo
02.05.2011, 01:55 PM
If the move backfires (and chances are it will, 31 teams fail every year;)) then it will prove costly for the Falcons.

A short term move that leads to a superbowl win is worth the pain of a few bad years afterwards. But If you don't win the big one then the painful years are going to be there anyway.

I'd like to wish you luck. But obviously that would be stooopid :p

Ha! Likewise.

As ianuk says though, we didn't have any real glaring holes, we were a 13-3 team last year for crying out loud, and a reasonably young one at that. We choked in the playoffs but that was a mental attitude problem not a talent problem, we turned the ball over when we'd looked after it all season, we gave up more penalties in that one game than we had all regular season. It's difficult to draft mental toughness, it's something you have to learn through experience, and I believe we will.

Rumours of our demise have been greatly exaggerated.

moss022
23.05.2011, 08:28 PM
Ha! Likewise.

As ianuk says though, we didn't have any real glaring holes, we were a 13-3 team last year for crying out loud, and a reasonably young one at that. We choked in the playoffs but that was a mental attitude problem not a talent problem, we turned the ball over when we'd looked after it all season, we gave up more penalties in that one game than we had all regular season. It's difficult to draft mental toughness, it's something you have to learn through experience, and I believe we will.

Rumours of our demise have been greatly exaggerated.

your both wrong the nfc south will be ours again next season so dont even worry about it

ianuk
25.05.2011, 11:43 AM
your both wrong the nfc south will be ours again next season so dont even worry about it

Misplaced confidence possibly? I just hope that we avoid the Number One seed, That Bye week killed our play-off campaign.

The only prediction's I am making about the NFC South is that there will be three teams with winning records and no team will win more than 11 games.

HSTDriver
25.05.2011, 06:46 PM
The only prediction's I am making about the NFC South is that there will be three teams with winning records and no team will win more than 11 games.

Agree with that (assuming we have a season!). I think the Bucs, aints, and Failcons will all pick up 2 wins against the panthers, and they're all capable of taking wins off of each other.

Panthers aside, The South is anyones this year, genuinely.