PDA

View Full Version : So, one preseason game down, and...

my_friend_goo
14.08.2011, 10:26 AM
As ever, I am not reading too much into anything from this game. I have taken the following from it (with training camp reports included), though:

1. Jabar Gaffney has the potential to make a significant contribution at WR and could be the most productive partner to have lined up on the other side to Moss in all of his years in DC - I have not exclusively based this comment on Friday night's performance.

2. Also: it looks like it's going to be difficult to select which receivers make the roster. By no means can the team claim to have an embarrassment of riches at the position, but signs are there they could at least be a solid, if not spectacular, group this season.

3. No sacks! I'll be keenly keeping an eye on the performance and progress of the o-line.

4. The defense put in a solid showing, but it seems like the Steelers were on the rusty side. There were some overthrown passes that may have gone for scores had they connected. However, both starting safeties were out. Again, I'll be keeping a close eye on this.

5. Same old problems with putting points on the board. If this continues throughout the preseason, it'll be a concern as it's largely been an indicator of problems the team will face in the regular season.

Frankr1964
14.08.2011, 01:53 PM
I think the running back situation looks good with Hightower challenging Torain (when fit) and the rookies coming in to the pre -season game had good performances.

I would say at the WR positions there is competition but I agree Gaffney will challenge Armstrong alongside Moss for the starting WR slots although Hankerson may have to go to practice squad if he keeps getting dropsies!

I would not take the pre - season too seriously considering half the starters play for a quarter usually and that this pre season has been disrupted. Last season we put up 42 points on the Bills pre-season annd look what happened after!

wuds100
15.08.2011, 12:15 AM
I think Hankerson might get a bit more rope than most and hopefully he will
get his hands right soon,
Still worried at NT think Colfield might get found out in the long run when
players start watching tape on him.

ScoringSkins
15.08.2011, 07:54 AM
It's nice to see that we have a bit of Depth at WR and RB. It's interesting that they want Sellers to transition to TE. It's easy for us to look good, we played our starters for the entire first half. The Steelers used theirs for the first series only. Hopefully, we'll use our reserves more often in the next couple of games.

The O-Line and D-line look good, considering the influx of new players. Hopefully they'll continue to gel and we'll see them improve. Both teams did well managing the game, considering it was the first pre-season game.

It's looking likely that Grossman will be the starter for the beginning of the season. Beck may not get a lot of playing time with a niggling injury. Grossman is Shanahan Jr's choice and Beck is Shanahan Sr's choice. It will be interesting to see how it pans out. If Grossman is too inconsistent, we'll see Beck get a shot at it.

Riggo
20.08.2011, 07:21 PM
Two pre season games down and I still haven't seen a snap (away on vacation for both games). I did manage to catch some action on the radio last night for game two.

Encouraging so far.