PDA

View Full Version : The final 53

Gman84
04.09.2011, 01:13 AM
Unofficially the roster looks like this after the cutdown to 53 but has to be confirmed and may yet change as they look to add the odd player from around the league who have been released:

QB’s (2) – Rex Grossman, John Beck

RB’s (3) – Ryan Torain, Tim Hightower, Roy Helu

FB’s (2) – Darrel Young, Mike Sellers

WR’s (7) – Santana Moss, Anthony Armstrong, Jabar Gaffney, Leonard Hankerson, Terrance Austin, Donte Stallworth (unconfirmed), Niles Paul

TE’s (3) – Chris Cooley, Fred Davis, Logan Paulsen

OL (8) – Jamaal Brown, Chris Chester, Will Montgomery, Trent Williams, Kory Lichensteiger, Sean Locklear, Erik Cook, Will Smith

DL (6) – Adam Carriker, Barry Cofield, Stephen Bowen, Kedrick Golston, Darrion Scott, Chris Neild

LB (9) – Brian Orakpo, Ryan Kerrigan, London Fletcher, Rocky McIntosh, Lorenzo Alexander, Perry Riley, Rob Jackson, Keyaron Fox, Markus White

CB’s (5) – DeAngelo Hall, Kevin Barnes, Josh Wilson, Byron Westbrook, Brandyn Thompson

S’s (4) – Reed Doughty, Osi Atogwe, DeJon Gomes, Laron Landry

ST's (4) - Sav Rocca, Graham Gano, Nick Sundberg, Brandon Banks

Biggest surprise from the cuts for me was Anthony Bryant who I thought played reasonably well at the end of last season. I thought Chris Neild was going to end up on the practice squad but he must have shown enough to make the coaches believe he wouldn't be safe on the PS from other teams prying eyes.

pj
05.09.2011, 10:50 AM
I'm very worried about the lack of depth at the interior OL positions and DE.

A few of the younger guys have been placed on the practice squad so they could always be promoted if necessary but I wouldn't be suprised to see them trying to trade one of the WR's for some depth somewhere.

fyodor dostoevsky
05.09.2011, 01:02 PM
Have to see how things play out obviously but Torain is earning a name for getting dinged easily in whcih case our RB position could be very thin very quickly.

Riggo
05.09.2011, 01:16 PM
Chris Horton gone. He was a bright star his rookie year. It is a lesson for us all.

pj
05.09.2011, 03:00 PM
Have to see how things play out obviously but Torain is earning a name for getting dinged easily in whcih case our RB position could be very thin very quickly.

I thought there was a good chance of keeping 4 on the team as Royster had looked pretty good in the preseason. Assuming he doesn't get picked up off the practice squad by another team he would be a decent enough #3 if Torain were to go down again.

JD for breakfast
05.09.2011, 04:10 PM
I'm also surprised we've gone with just 8 O-linemen, especially considering our injury record up front in recent seasons. Hopefully the new faces being brought in there will see that change

Is it just me that thinks we seem to be a little over-staffed in general on D and under-staffed on offense, WR aside? 6 DL's and 9 LB's seems like a heck of a lot

Gman84
05.09.2011, 06:47 PM
I'm also surprised we've gone with just 8 O-linemen, especially considering our injury record up front in recent seasons. Hopefully the new faces being brought in there will see that change

Is it just me that thinks we seem to be a little over-staffed in general on D and under-staffed on offense, WR aside? 6 DL's and 9 LB's seems like a heck of a lot

I'm not that surprised, given most game days only 7 OL are active you take then chance and if a guy gets a knock for a few weeks bring up a PS guy who is practicing and still learning under the coaches with the scheme. Same with RB in particular Royster. Remember, Torain was on the PS to start last season.

JD for breakfast
06.09.2011, 02:24 PM
I'm not that surprised, given most game days only 7 OL are active you take then chance and if a guy gets a knock for a few weeks bring up a PS guy who is practicing and still learning under the coaches with the scheme. Same with RB in particular Royster. Remember, Torain was on the PS to start last season.

Fair point.

Here's the practise squad by the way:

Chris Baker NT
Jonathan Crompton QB
Maurice Hurt OL
Nate Ness CB
Eric Olsen C/G
Aldrick Robinson
Evan Royster RB
Doug Worthington DE

Gman84
06.09.2011, 09:47 PM
Nice that 4 of them are guys we had in camp so they know the team and scheme and if boosted onto the roster it's a seemless transistion. All too often our PS squads are made up of other teams cast offs we know nothing about.

70 chip
06.09.2011, 10:12 PM
No surprises there - Horton has been sliding all through camp

As for depth at OL, you will never carry more than 8 and for the DL running a 3 front scheme you will carry either 6 or 7 DL and 8 LB. The 'extra' is being carried in 9 LBs.