PDA

View Full Version : Expectations and Predictions

Gman84
09.09.2011, 11:06 AM
C'mon guys, lets hear how you think/feel our team will do in 2011.

I honestly love the direction that Allen and Shanahan are taking the team in but I do feel our final 2011 record may not reflect how much good work has been done. No doubt the QB position is the massive issue although I don't hate it as much as some Skins fans around the web and most outsiders do.

I love the fact they have got better players in to suit the schemes and seem to be making a commitment to developing players. We have a fair few guys who have come through from practice squad to active roster and now making the step to role players and eventually they will develop into quality starters.

I think offensively we'll be a good running team and as long as they don't get into situations where they have to chase the game then if the balance can be found from the passing game they'll be ok. If they get into a situation chasing a game then I think they'll struggle most times as the QB play won't be good enough. The big worry offensively is pass protection linking into the QB play and turnovers. We know Rex can give the ball up easy and if he gets pressured too often it'll be fumbles rather than ints that kill us.

Defensively I think we're in a much better place and rushing the passing and playing the run will be much improved but I also expect a few complete meltdowns over the season where the secondary gives up too many big plays which will happen if the pass rush has games where they are not on song.

The X-factor will be special teams, I think Brandon Banks can make himself known as one of the most dangerous returners in the league, I'm hopefully Graham Gano will also be a lot better this year.

Ultimately if the Redskins could finish 8-8 and show improvement in the areas I've mentioned I'd have high hopes going into 2012. Of course injuries will play their part but if the QB position becomes a platoon situation then that may well see the record drop closer to the 6-10 of last year. I'm being patience though, I think if Allen and Shanahan are allowed to see their plan out it will ultimately lead to success. The fan in me dreams of surprising everyone, going 11-5 and winning the division :D

Player-wise, I think Brian Orakpo enjoys his best season yet with double digit sacks and also on the defense I think Barry Cofield could have pro bowl type year. I've already mentioned Banks but he could be a pro bowl returner. Offensively I have good vibes about Anthony Armstrong, Fred Davis and young Terrence Austin coming on as the season goes on to establish themselves.

my_friend_goo
09.09.2011, 08:05 PM
So, I'll get my fears out of the way first. I worry about the depth on both lines, particularly with the loss of Jarvis Jenkins (still gutted about this one). I think both play better than last year, with the most notable improvement on the D-line. O-line gets better by subtraction of Rabach and they look pretty good playing the run, but I think they'll be inconsistent on pass plays. Also, Landry's injury - I hope he's back soon. I'm not one of the big Doughty doubters, but there is a clear downgrade there and I think Landry's a key to this defense.

The QB situation isn't great, but I think either guy is capable of doing enough this season to win some games and I certainly don't buy into the belief that other teams' back-ups are preferable to either of our starters. I can't help but wonder if Beck's mobility and (I think) better abilities on those roll-outs would be better in the event of shaky o-line play.

I'm excited to see what our running backs can do - Hightower picks up the blitz better than anyone else pn the team and Helu adds a dimension of speed and he does seem to get yards.

WR - whilst by no means can it be said we have an embarrassment of riches at the position, I think they're going to do more than just ok. Gaffney seems reliable for a number of catches per game and this should take some of the heat off Moss. When there's 3 on the field, you've got a possession guy in Gaffney, Moss taking care of the slot and Armstrong as the deep threat. Nobody would willing choose these guys as their corps, but I expect to see a big improvement over last year.

Ryan Kerrigan will probably take a while to grow accustomed to his new role and he should be a better player next season if not by the end of this one. By all accounts he has the right attitude and work ethic. Rocky McIntosh is now the weak link on D, hopefully he performs better than last year.

The secondary I'm finding it harder to judge. With improved D-line play, they shouldn't be as exposed. Josh Wilson is an unknown quantity as a Redskin right now, so I'll be keeping a close eye on him. I'm hoping for good things out of Atogwe.

While the team has gotten better, I agree it may not show in the record. My worst case scenario is a 4-12 record, but not #1 pick in the 2012 draft. At best, I think they get 8-8. They may not sound impressive, but they have the right attitude in their players and a proven head coach. When I remember what Marty S did with his team in 2001(?) (a largely horrible roster) it gives me hope.

Riggo
09.09.2011, 11:05 PM
for real???? 9-7

Skins have got to be better than last year.

wuds100
10.09.2011, 03:51 PM
Anywhere between 4-7 wins for me with a lot depending the health of the two lines
which look ok but very thin,
Grossman is a slight concern but hopefully the run game will protect him.

4Skin
10.09.2011, 06:51 PM
I know you can't tell anything from the pre-season, but I was still pleasantly surprised. We actually look pretty good in a few areas, but I have to admit I just can't believe that Rex Grossman is the starting QB. I just hope Shanahan knows something that we don't.
I actually wanted Beck to get the job, but that was mostly based on my previous knowledge of Grossman. When he's good, he's good, but when he's bad he's absolutely catastrophic!!

I'm disappointed that we didn't go after someone else in the off season, either in the draft or FA. Like I say, I have to hope Shanahan knows something we don't.

My heart says an 8-8 season, but my head says yet another losing one. :(

70 chip
11.09.2011, 10:37 PM
I'll save the breakdown for tomorrow or whatever, but the unit I had the biggest knock on is the offensive line and they are a weak unit.

Harwich Hog
12.09.2011, 12:15 PM
With the benefit of last night's game I think we'll be a solid football team.

I know this isn't the point of the thread but going by last night's performance and the quality of what i've seen of the opposition from Week 1.

Giants - W
Cardinals - W
@ Cowboys - W
@ Rams - L
Eagles - L
@ Panthers - W
@ Bills - W
49ers - W
@ Dolphins - W
Cowboys - W
@Seahawks - W
Jets - L
Patriots - L
@ Giants - L
Vikings - W
@ Eagles - L

I think Grossman looked really solid.

Hightower isn't going to put up amazing numbers but I expect him to have a 1000 yard season, purely because I think Kyle is committed to the run and will hand him 300+ carries. What is clear from last night (and his time with the AZ) is that he is a better RZ threat than we've had for a long time.

I think we'll end up in the 12th-18th range when it comes to defensive yardage but top 10 when it comes to takeaways.

10-6. 2nd in NFC East. 6th WC berth. Opposition - Falcons ;)

jklcan1
12.09.2011, 12:16 PM
Reckon we will go 8-8

70 chip
12.09.2011, 03:07 PM
I'll save the breakdown for tomorrow or whatever, but the unit I had the biggest knock on is the offensive line and they are a weak unit.

Shipped 4 sacks and the team had a 2.8yd rushing average off 26 attempts.

Unless this unit improves fast (and it is limited by the talent on it for sure), we are going to have problems offensively.

Boltonian
12.09.2011, 07:54 PM
Very pleased by the performance of the Skins, the Defence were great in the 2nd
half, Grossman played well but i have 1 real worry and thats at LT williams had a
shocker.

my_friend_goo
12.09.2011, 08:20 PM
So, my thoughts on last nights game are:

Didn't the defense look so different from last year? After a mediocre start, they started to get it together before coming out on fire in the second half and most importantly staying that way. Asides from just after Rex's fumble, the Giants didn't even threaten to score in the second half. Shame Reed Doughty had a big hand in those two long passes. With LaRon in there, I still think the pass to Nicks gets completed as he has a tendency to bite on fakes, but even if he's out of position like Doughty was on the pass to Ballard, I think he recovers enough to smite him, possibly causing the incompletion.

Big props to Ryan Kerrigan and Chris Neild (who unexpectedly gave David Baas more difficulty than Barry Cofield). Mostly, I liked what I saw from this unit yesterday. Considering the Giants run game was dictating terms to them early on, the stop on fourth down was huge. Also, despite the now-standard frequent holding on Orakpo, Manning was still sacked four times.

The offense was more of a mixed bag. Yes, Rex Grossman had a good game, but Riggo got it right in the game thread when he pointed out that he was throwing high a bit often. Anybody else wonder if that TD pass to Anthony Armstrong would have been an interception if the CB turned to locate the ball instead of keeping his eye on the receiver? That said, when he is given time, I think he will be a perfectly competent QB this season. By the way, for all the times I've heard the Redskins don't have threatening receivers, I think last night showed that this team can field Moss, Gaffney, Armstrong, Cooley and Davis and give opponents enough problems. Speaking of which - nice use of Cooley and Davis at the same time there, where was that last year? Anthony Armstrong made some nice catches. Shame Kenny Phillips was able to break up what would have been two more great catches. Credit Phillips there, but I'd like to see Armstrong learn to hold onto those.

No doubt the O-line struggled a bit. The Giants took away the run game and that made the Redskins go to the pass more frequently (and yet not abandon the run). The Giants D-line alone was often enough to cause problems for Rex. I don't see the run being shut down so much in every game and this in turn should take some pressure off the passing. When they come across a stout run defense, though, I think they will be outdone more often than not this season.

I am a little concerned about Trent Williams, but not desperately. Having said that, if he fails to become more consistent over the season and likewise next, it may be time to move him over to RT and look for another LT. If he fares better on the right side, it's not really what you want out of a #4 pick, but I'm not prepared to give up on him for some time yet.

fyodor dostoevsky
12.09.2011, 10:36 PM
One other thing about Rex on top of the comments about throwing high. There were a few times where I felt he was throwing in to areas of the field rather than actually hooking up with the receiver. One example was early in the game where Armstrong took some criticism for being out of bounds catching a side line pass, but to me the pass was really thrown out in to space and Armstrong was having to get himself there to try and make the play. I felt there were three or four like that. Putting it so high or leading a receiver to areas of the field is going get someones head knocked off!

Hightower put in a major effort although the Giants pretty much had taken away the run by the end of the game and Davis made some major plays which was great to see. Defensively we got things going but the drive for the Giants second TD was made to look too easy on run and pass. They commited a really dumb penalty too when they should have gotten the ball back instead of helping to keep our final TD drive alive.

If the Giants dont get players back they will struggle as their replacements, especially at DB, were starting to crack and this is only game 1.

I recorded the Dullass game and watched it without knowing the result. I couldnt believe the INT thrown by Romo at the end! this guy is close to 'total bust' status.

Boltonian
13.09.2011, 10:38 PM
In response to my_friend_goo, i am sure that T williams was a RT until his last
year in college. If he can't correct his mistakes in the next game or two why don't
we just switch him with Brown who is a natural LT.

70 chip
14.09.2011, 12:04 AM
In response to my_friend_goo, i am sure that T williams was a RT until his last
year in college. If he can't correct his mistakes in the next game or two why don't
we just switch him with Brown who is a natural LT.

I guess (as we all have to do) that they want the 23 year old at LT rather than the 30 year old who has had a torn ACL.

Having played and coached offensive line for many years, from a technical perspective Williams was pretty bad on Sunday, there are no other words for it. I have a huge question mark hanging over the whole line but the coaching staff need to work the heck out of Williams before Sunday. He needs to be quicker off the LOS and kick out in his pass drops - he was slow out, taking too small steps with slow feet and getting his shoulders turned WAY too earlier in order to try and recover.

But hey, its week one, I am sure Mike & Kyle and Chris Foerster have broken down the film and will be working hard to correct the mistakes for the Arizona game and beyond.

my_friend_goo
14.09.2011, 11:48 AM
I guess (as we all have to do) that they want the 23 year old at LT rather than the 30 year old who has had a torn ACL.

That, and the fact that Jammal Brown wasn't exactly stellar on Sunday, either.

The o-line's play does concern me, but they were inconsistent throught the preason - good games and bad. Maybe that's a sign for how they'll be this season. As for Trent, even if he eventually just pans out to be a good RT, that's better than nowt. I hope he achieves more than that, though.

JD for breakfast
14.09.2011, 02:54 PM
Let's just be grateful that Justin Tuck wasn't playing or Grossman could have ended up in a bodybag! Arizona don't have much of a pass rush to speak of though so Williams should be in for an easier night this Sunday

Mr.Indecisive
14.09.2011, 07:45 PM
The offense was more of a mixed bag. Yes, Rex Grossman had a good game, but Riggo got it right in the game thread when he pointed out that he was throwing high a bit often. Anybody else wonder if that TD pass to Anthony Armstrong would have been an interception if the CB turned to locate the ball instead of keeping his eye on the receiver? That said, when he is given time, I think he will be a perfectly competent QB this season. By the way, for all the times I've heard the Redskins don't have threatening receivers, I think last night showed that this team can field Moss, Gaffney, Armstrong, Cooley and Davis and give opponents enough problems. Speaking of which - nice use of Cooley and Davis at the same time there, where was that last year? Anthony Armstrong made some nice catches. Shame Kenny Phillips was able to break up what would have been two more great catches. Credit Phillips there, but I'd like to see Armstrong learn to hold onto those.

Rex threw high and not very close to the recievers hands bar a few throws. I think it was more a case of the Recievers playing a storming game making Rex look a lot better than he actually was. All the recievers looked on top form, Moss and Armstrong especially.

It will be interesting to see how Rex fares against Arizona, they won't be able to close our pocket as quickly as New York did, but their secondary I reckon will fare better than that of the Giants.

my_friend_goo
14.09.2011, 08:13 PM
It will be interesting to see how Rex fares against Arizona, they won't be able to close our pocket as quickly as New York did, but their secondary I reckon will fare better than that of the Giants.

The same secondary that gave up 400 + yards to Cam Newton?

JD for breakfast
14.09.2011, 09:02 PM
Rex threw high and not very close to the recievers hands bar a few throws. I think it was more a case of the Recievers playing a storming game making Rex look a lot better than he actually was. All the recievers looked on top form, Moss and Armstrong especially.

I think both Rex and the recievers were hit and miss, at least in the first half. Rex over-threw a couple but he also had a couple dropped, Gaffney and Armstrong both spring to mind. A few more practices and more game time together should help the timing and rappor that Rex has with his recieving corps

I don't think we can overlook how far behind most offenses in the NFL will be with the shortened pre-season. For me our offense actually played better than I thought we would. The running game was disappointing though. We picked up some cheap yards on the ground later on which made the numbers look better than they should have. We ended up on too many 3rd and long situations, but Grossman managed to keep the chains moving enough times, usually by finding Fred Davis

Mr.Indecisive
15.09.2011, 09:09 AM
The same secondary that gave up 400 + yards to Cam Newton?

yup, I think the Cards secondary had an off day and are indeed better than the 400+ yds they gave up in week one.

Hopefully i'm proved wrong.