PDA

View Full Version : Visiting Houston?

British Bulldawg
04.10.2011, 04:12 AM
Ever been over for a game?

Going over in Nov, just looking to get a bit more info off lads that have made the trip before about must do things / places to eat etc.

I so far have the zoo,aquarium, sports + fire museum's, Astros + Texans stadium tours and a full day at NASA if I can get there without a car planned so far , there for 5 days.

lewisenglish
04.10.2011, 08:58 AM
So Jealous!
----
Visit a new UK based NFL site @ http://www.untilkickoff.com/ - "If you love it when a man who scrutinizes the NFL all week can't best his wife in a pick'em contest then this is the site for you"

Richard Sambucci
04.10.2011, 10:40 AM
Hey,
I'm jealous Bulldawg - i LOVE Houston. First place i ever went to in America, started following the Oilers and since 2002 the Texans.
I've been to 2 games at Reliant, you'll love it. I'm hoping my funds will allow me to go every other year! Turn up early and as long as you have a game ticket, you'll get into the tail gating area. The Texans fans make everyone welcome, theres always a bit of friendly banter! Usually, if you make a small contribution to one of the tailgating groups, you'll be able to get some food and beer. We have the friendliest and best tailgate going.
As for Houston itself, if you're at NASA, carry on to Galveston bay afterwards to a town called Kemah and check out the boardwalk - full of restaurants, funfair rides & attractions (even in November the weather will still be pretty good).
A few other things to do are...
*JP Morgan chase tower in downtown - you can go up in the elevator to get views accross Houston
*San Jacinto Monument & museum of Texas history - this is where Texas won its independance from Mexico in 1836
*St Arnold brewery tour - local brewery making several styles of good quality beer & you can taste
*The Galleria for shopping
*George Ranch Historical Park - a living history ranch that gives an idea into ranch life (SW side of Houston)

as for eating, yu will NOT go hungry, there are restaurants everywhere, even the stadium food is pretty good - the food at Wembley is terrible. If you are in Texas though , you need to try some Tex-Mex, washed down with a few margaritas or some local brew!

here's a link to the tourist office website: http://www.visithoustontexas.com/visitors/

Have a great time - but hope the Texans win!!! Good luck to the Browns for the rest of the season

British Bulldawg
26.10.2011, 12:04 PM
Hey,
I'm jealous Bulldawg - i LOVE Houston. First place i ever went to in America, started following the Oilers and since 2002 the Texans.
I've been to 2 games at Reliant, you'll love it. I'm hoping my funds will allow me to go every other year! Turn up early and as long as you have a game ticket, you'll get into the tail gating area. The Texans fans make everyone welcome, theres always a bit of friendly banter! Usually, if you make a small contribution to one of the tailgating groups, you'll be able to get some food and beer. We have the friendliest and best tailgate going.
As for Houston itself, if you're at NASA, carry on to Galveston bay afterwards to a town called Kemah and check out the boardwalk - full of restaurants, funfair rides & attractions (even in November the weather will still be pretty good).
A few other things to do are...
*JP Morgan chase tower in downtown - you can go up in the elevator to get views accross Houston
*San Jacinto Monument & museum of Texas history - this is where Texas won its independance from Mexico in 1836
*St Arnold brewery tour - local brewery making several styles of good quality beer & you can taste
*The Galleria for shopping
*George Ranch Historical Park - a living history ranch that gives an idea into ranch life (SW side of Houston)

as for eating, yu will NOT go hungry, there are restaurants everywhere, even the stadium food is pretty good - the food at Wembley is terrible. If you are in Texas though , you need to try some Tex-Mex, washed down with a few margaritas or some local brew!

here's a link to the tourist office website: http://www.visithoustontexas.com/visitors/

Have a great time - but hope the Texans win!!! Good luck to the Browns for the rest of the season

Thanks for all the info trip all planned now, apart from where to stay as some have said to stay away from some areas but no car so cant get to these woodlands / conroe, spring areas they have suggested :-\