PDA

View Full Version : Why I think Grossman should start for the Washington Redskins in 2012

Harwich Hog
29.11.2011, 11:33 AM
I appreciate this is going to be an unpopular view so I hope you will read my justification.

I didn't particularly mind when Rex Grossman was benched half way through the Philadelphia game - I was kind of intrigued by what John Beck had to offer. In fairness to John Beck he got the team close at the end of the game (an onside kick away from a possession that could have won the game), closer than Rex would have taken us if he'd continued playing the way he was. But the following games, Carolina, Buffalo and San Francisco just kind of exposed Beck for what he is - a below-average QB with vision that extends no further than the first down mark.

His inefficiencies, I believe, had a much more profound impact than the W-L column. He was stunting the development of the team, there is no way players like Hankerson and Helu were going to get the right opportunities under John Beck. That's what Rex Grossman gives. He gives players the opportunities to make plays. I accept he also gives the opposing defence too many opportunities to make plays, but I don't mind that while we're out of the playoff picture. Rex moves the offence - and for the future of the young players in the team (and to an extent, even the veteran players on the team) that's important.

And I think the same applies to a rookie QB. It's obvious, that knowledge of Shanahan's offence is of utmost importance. I think there's a big danger (assuming we draft a QB high next year) of starting a rookie for the same reason it's dangerous to start John Beck. I think Rex can give the young guys on offence the opportunity to bed in next year. He can turn Leonard Hankerson into a reliable go-to (perhaps even no.1) receiver. That's not something a rookie QB can do. With a full starting season under their belt, Hankerson and Helu are going to be in a much better position to help along a rookie QB.

I put a small prediction on Extremeskins in the thread started by a guy that wanted the team to lose the rest of the games in order to get a better draft position. I posted this to support the argument that draft position isn't of overriding importance and in fact, picking a guy high could be counter productive, as you'd be more compelled to start him from day one. A bit of fun really, not to be taken too seriously but hopefully illustrates my point.

Prediction 1 (based on a draft picking the 10-14 range)
- Redskins draft a QB.
- Sit him
- Pick up a top-notch offensive line starter in the early rounds and add other decent depth behind established starters.
- Rex Grossman is still turnover heavy but leads the offence to the top-10 in yards and touchdowns.
- Under said Grossman-led offence Hankerson and Helu emerge as top-notch offensive weapons.
- In 2012, 2012 drafted QB picks up the reigns (after Rex lobs up a 4 interception game probably) and after 18 months of learning the system, riding Helu and utilising Hankerson - takes us deep into the Playoffs.

Prediction 2 (based on a draft with us picking in top 5)
- Redskins draft Barkley or RGIII in the top 5.
- Green to Shanahan offensive system, new QB makes slow progress in the first year.
- Helu and Hankerson's development stunted by poor QB play.
- Redskins finish 3-13.
- Snyder fires Shanahan.
- New rebuild begins.
- QB has to learn new system.
- QB becomess mediocre starter in the NFL.
- QB gets traded to the Oakland Raiders for a 4th round pick in the 2019 draft.

my_friend_goo
29.11.2011, 12:46 PM
Well, to begin with they'd have to sign him up to a contract. I don't think he's going to get many if any starting QB offers in the offseason, so there remains that possibility. He's shown he can move the team, but obviously frustrates with his propensity for interceptions. He'd definitely make a decent enough backup for the new QB and if necessary start the season depending on the development of the rookie, preferably not ending it, though.

One thing is as certain as can ever be (i.e. not at all, but still very likely): Mike Shanahan will draft a quarterback. If they chance into a great position in the draft, they'll have the luxury of choice, but don't be surprised if they have to trade up to get the guy they want. If, in training camp, that rookie puts up a performance worthy of starting the season, he deserves the start. If he proves he needs a little more time, then he needs to be given it, but if he performs well enough in practice to be given a shot, there is no point in holding him back. Other rookie QBs have shone in their first seasons (well, at least done respectably) - why assume he won't?

When Rex unleashes the dragon, his accuracy isn't great, he often unleashes it right into triple coverage and even when he gets it right, his receivers don't always fight for the ball. Armstrong's touchdown on Sunday was a rare but delicious delight - every Redskins fan wants more of those. From the initial profiles, it seems RG3 can throw the deep ball with amazing accuracy, whilst having the ability to move around in the pocket and extend plays (note how Romo has used this combination to secure victories twice against the Redskins). Not saying he's got to be the guy we get, but if those skills translate to the NFL early on, he will make a difference.

Whatever the outcome, if the Redskins continue to struggle, don't count on Shanahan being fired. Remember: the only head coach Shanahan has undeservedly fired early was Schottenheimer (and I believe has gone on record as saying he regrets it). Turner had proven his ineffectiveness and Spurrier and Zorn didn't have a clue. Snyder wouldn't touch Gibbs, even after the decline in 2006. Shanahan has a plan and he deserves to be given the chance to put it into action - at least four of his contracted five seasons are required. I think you know that the Extremeskins insiders have made it pretty clear that Snyder is committed to Shanahan and the long-term results over the short term, given the failures of the past.

Harwich Hog
29.11.2011, 01:24 PM
Well, to begin with they'd have to sign him up to a contract. I don't think he's going to get many if any starting QB offers in the offseason, so there remains that possibility. He's shown he can move the team, but obviously frustrates with his propensity for interceptions. He'd definitely make a decent enough backup for the new QB and if necessary start the season depending on the development of the rookie, preferably not ending it, though.

One thing is as certain as can ever be (i.e. not at all, but still very likely): Mike Shanahan will draft a quarterback. If they chance into a great position in the draft, they'll have the luxury of choice, but don't be surprised if they have to trade up to get the guy they want. If, in training camp, that rookie puts up a performance worthy of starting the season, he deserves the start. If he proves he needs a little more time, then he needs to be given it, but if he performs well enough in practice to be given a shot, there is no point in holding him back. Other rookie QBs have shone in their first seasons (well, at least done respectably) - why assume he won't?

When Rex unleashes the dragon, his accuracy isn't great, he often unleashes it right into triple coverage and even when he gets it right, his receivers don't always fight for the ball. Armstrong's touchdown on Sunday was a rare but delicious delight - every Redskins fan wants more of those. From the initial profiles, it seems RG3 can throw the deep ball with amazing accuracy, whilst having the ability to move around in the pocket and extend plays (note how Romo has used this combination to secure victories twice against the Redskins). Not saying he's got to be the guy we get, but if those skills translate to the NFL early on, he will make a difference.

Whatever the outcome, if the Redskins continue to struggle, don't count on Shanahan being fired. Remember: the only head coach Shanahan has undeservedly fired early was Schottenheimer (and I believe has gone on record as saying he regrets it). Turner had proven his ineffectiveness and Spurrier and Zorn didn't have a clue. Snyder wouldn't touch Gibbs, even after the decline in 2006. Shanahan has a plan and he deserves to be given the chance to put it into action - at least four of his contracted five seasons are required. I think you know that the Extremeskins insiders have made it pretty clear that Snyder is committed to Shanahan and the long-term results over the short term, given the failures of the past.

I think Rex's knowledge of the system makes him more valuable to the Redskins than any other franchise (perhaps the Texans could use him too as Schaub's backup, but they're not going to offer him a starting QB opportunity). I think Rex knows that if he's going to stay a starter in the league into 2012, DC is the place he's going to have to do it. I'm not sure whether the one year contract was Rex's idea or Washington's. I don't see why the Redskins would only give Rex a one year contract, he didn't have particularly good leverage going into this season so they wouldn't have had to have given up much to tie him done to a multi-year deal. I think Rex signed a one year contract as he saw 2011 as his opportunity to re-establish himself as a legitimate starter in the league - something he's probably failed to do.

Don't think i'm offering Rex as the long-term answer at QB. I'm really not - I just think starting him in 2012 may be the best option for the development of the team and the young guy we draft next year. If the new guy shines in training camp, and the Shanahan's have trust in him - great. Go with him from Week 1. I just have a sneaky suspicion that won't be the case. We'll have to wait and see.

I guess this comes from my wish that we spend a good portion, including a high choice, of our draft on offensive linemen. So if we have to package say, our first, second and our first next year to move up to the top 3 (which is realistic given the recent history of high draft pick trades), we won't be able to.

I guess i'm more seduced by the idea of drafting an Andy Dalton and giving the guy help (but OL in our case rather than WR in Cincinnati) than I am drafting a Mark Sanchez (and asking him to do it by himself).

PS I still think we'll finish 7-9 or 8-8 this year. Wins against Jets, Minnesota, Giants and maybe Phily.

JD for breakfast
03.12.2011, 04:20 PM
I think that whoever we start at QB in 2012, be it Grossman or a rookie, if we don't have a decent running game our offense won't go anywhere. I know people say that the NFL is a passing league but I don't really buy that. Your personnel dictates how you play and if you don't have an elite QB under center, and I mean elite as in top 5 only, then you have to be able to run the ball. Helu has set himself up to start for the remainder of the season so by then we should know if he's starter material. We also need to upgrade the o-line with at least two and probably three starters. So unless we end up with a Cam Newton-style rookie who comes in and revitalises the whole offense, I would say that the whole off-season, and Shanahan's future in DC, rides on a lot of things, not just which QB we take in the draft next April

Boltonian
05.12.2011, 11:49 PM
From my point of view the Skins need in the draft of via FA starting players for the
following positions, QB, WR, LG, RT, CB, ILB, NT and maybe even C and S. I made
a similar thread at the end of last season and i thought we were 11 players short, so
we have made progress and hopefully we will make more this off-season.

Riggo
06.12.2011, 06:53 PM
Harwich, I think outline a lot of reasons of why Grossman will start, but I'm not sure about should

Gman84
31.12.2011, 11:10 AM
I'll put it this way, for all his turnovers - and they are frustrating and a real problem - I like Rex and I enjoy watching him play more than I ever did Jason Campbell. He'll make mistakes but he keeps coming back and he has kept this team competitive. He's playing on an offense with rookie running backs, UDFA's at LT, a street free agent at RT at times, a 7th round pick at guard, his top two targets have missed time (Davis and Moss) and his OC has hung him out to dry at times (Kyle's called much better games recently though but earlier in the season he got Norv like and was just pass, pass, pass), yet apart from the turnovers (which again, can't be dismissed lightly) he's done reasonably well IMO and I would have him back in 2012.

I believe the Redskins have to turn the QB position into a position of strength and depth and to do this they should do 3 things:

1, Re-sign Rex (release Beck, he won't be in the NFL in 2012 IMO).
2, Sign Matt Flynn from the Packers as an UFA.
3, Draft a QB in rounds 1 or 2 (with Barkley staying in and it's not clear if RG III and JOnes will declare the cupboard could get bare quick for round 1).

Go into the season allowing Flynn to compete with Rex for the starting job, whoever loses is back-up, the rookie sits for a year and learns. Let's assume Flynn wins the job and does ok the rookie progresses to #2 in 2013 or 14 and then can look to compete for the job unless Flynn proves to be a star.