PDA

View Full Version : Draft 2012

Boltonian
15.12.2011, 11:39 AM
I would like to see what you fellow Redskins fans think about if this scenario happens
at the Draft.

The Redskins biggest need is QB.

I have looked at the current Draft order with 3 games to play and we are at the No4 pick,
i think that the Skins on current form could possibly win 1 more game(Vikes) which taking
into account other teams fixtures will leave us picking anywhere between 4 and 8.
This is were the Skins problems start, there are 3 quality QB's that could be available if
they all decide to enter the Draft(Luck, Griffin, and Barkley), but the problem we have is
that the Colts, Browns, Jags, Dolphins, and Chiefs could all pick before us and also the
Browns have got 2 1st round picks to play with to move up if they wish.

Where does this leave the Redskins?

My question to you all is if the 3 top QB's are gone before we pick what do we do?

Do we,

Draft the best OL available(RT, C, LG),
Draft MLB,
Draft NT,
Draft CB,
Draft WR,

Or do we try and trade up for a QB?

wuds100
17.12.2011, 04:25 AM
I would like to see what you fellow Redskins fans think about if this scenario happens
at the Draft.

The Redskins biggest need is QB.

I have looked at the current Draft order with 3 games to play and we are at the No4 pick,
i think that the Skins on current form could possibly win 1 more game(Vikes) which taking
into account other teams fixtures will leave us picking anywhere between 4 and 8.
This is were the Skins problems start, there are 3 quality QB's that could be available if
they all decide to enter the Draft(Luck, Griffin, and Barkley), but the problem we have is
that the Colts, Browns, Jags, Dolphins, and Chiefs could all pick before us and also the
Browns have got 2 1st round picks to play with to move up if they wish.

Where does this leave the Redskins?

My question to you all is if the 3 top QB's are gone before we pick what do we do?

Do we,

Draft the best OL available(RT, C, LG),
Draft MLB,
Draft NT,
Draft CB,
Draft WR,

Or do we try and trade up for a QB?

I would go Tackle or trade back if Barkley is gone but would take Kalil over Barkley if both are there,
If we trade back then its BPA with T,G,C,NT,MLB the biggest needs,
I would love to see us draft Blackmon but he will go high and it could be a very long term move for us
to take a WR high giving our number of holes and Synder always thinks short term.

my_friend_goo
17.12.2011, 05:27 PM
I'd be pretty shocked if the Redskins do not go for a quarterback in the first round. I would not be surprised to see them trade up to no.3 spot if necessary because QBs go 1 & 2 (probably unlikely, but not totally out of the question if Luck, Barkley and RGIII all enter). Of course, draft stock rises and falls and it's early days yet. We still have no idea where the Redskins will pick, although top 10 is fairly likely.

I am happy for them to trade up if necessary, provided that they are not screwed in the process. Regardless of whether they have worked out or not, I think the Redskins have been pretty smart with their trades so far in terms of value.

But, in the event that they can't make that trade and the best options at quarterback are gone, for me it's got to be a WR who can be a genuine #1 (look at the Green-Dalton situation in Cincinnati, early days yet admittedly). If that guy isn't there for them either, I'd favour trading down a bit in the first round in a deal including a second rounder and going some combination of OL, WR and QB for those three picks. Round three and four should see another pick addressing the o-line and either a LB or secondary help.

Whilst I'd be disappointed by the circumstances leading to it, I'd accept a top 5 position in the draft if it means they come out of it with a potential stud QB and somebody for the O-line in round two. If there's a left tackle prospect when they pick in round two, I wouldn't be opposed to the competition for Williams, the winner playing left, the loser playing right. Of course, if that second round pick is spent on a WR or successor to Fletcher, I'd be fine with that too.

Riggo
17.12.2011, 09:49 PM
How many teams ahead of skins will taking a QB?

Redskins are just a win away from drafting in the 12 position.

70 chip
18.12.2011, 12:00 PM
They have to trade up and take a QB.

As shockingly bad as the o-line is (and factor in the other subpar units), we just have to take a QB. Don't expect the playoffs next year even with Luck, Griffin etc, this team is broke and it is going to take more than one offseason to fix it.

Regardless of the result against New Jersey A tonight, any optimism I had has now completely gone.

my_friend_goo
19.12.2011, 12:52 PM
So, 5 wins and another two games to play that are difficult to call. Looks like if the Redskins want one of either Luck, RGIII or Barkley, they are going to have to trade up at this rate. Maybe they won't, maybe Shanahan will see somebody available later that he thinks can cut it on this team. I am eagerly awaiting April to see what happens, the intrigue is killing me!

St.Dave
22.12.2011, 08:54 PM
I think the depth of the draft means we will have plenty of choices even if we miss out on the 'big 3'. Looks like Rex will be staying so we have a player who knows the play book that can help a new QB coming in.
I'd like to see a new Safety but think QB is first choice

Crazy87
23.12.2011, 08:59 PM
I want us to take a QB first but with Barkley staying in school and us beating the giants and maybe one other win, at 6-10 we may not even be in the top ten.

Trading up to take RG3 just got even more expensive so I doubt that we will do that. Maybe Landry Jones is an option further down the draft although his stock seems to be falling. We have to concentrate on O this year though.

Gman84
31.12.2011, 11:32 AM
QB in rounds 1 (or 2 depending on who is there). Rounds 2-4: OL, DL, CB.

Lower rounds: ILB, S, RB

Free agency: QB (Matt Flynn), WR (Marques Colston, Robert Meachem), CB (Brett Grimes, Brandon Carr or Tracey Porter) and some kind of veteran situational pass rusher.

Re-sign: Fred Davis, Adam Carriker, LaRon Landry (franchised), Rex Grossman, London Fletcher, Reed Doughty.

Sa14
02.01.2012, 02:49 PM
Rgiii???????

Riggo
03.01.2012, 02:13 AM
So are the Skins drafting 6th or 7th?

my_friend_goo
03.01.2012, 01:11 PM
Technically 6th, I believe, as per the pretty extensive thread that's been tracking position on Extremeskins for the last several weeks.

I say technically, because if Shanahan decides he wants either Luck or RG3, don't be surprised to see them drafting second. From what I understand, Bruce Allen has a fair bit of history with the Rams' Executive Vice President (not the GM who was fired) which, providing another team doesn't make an offer they'd be idiots to refuse, may give them an advantage.

Gman84
03.01.2012, 02:35 PM
It's very early days yet, a lot can and will happen between then and now. I suspect if they make a run at someone like Matt Flynn then drafting a QB will still happen but maybe in rounds 2 or 3 with round 1 going on a corner, receiver or OL.

Riggo
03.01.2012, 09:05 PM
I fear an attempt for Luck, surely Snyder would pay a disastrous price. He's a very successful business man, but over the years the skins to bid against phantoms and massively over pay in terms of cash to free agents or draft picks in trades.

Mr Snyder, please ignor this Luck fellow. He is not for you. The Colts price will be too high, if he's available at all.

They've done this so many times that it can't possibly be the NFL minds that fall into a bidding frenzy, it must be Snyder himself. This kind of auction panic just drives me nuts. I can imagine Snyder deciding that Luck is out of reach but this RG III is THE MAN and redskins move heaven an earth to get him.

This whole Flynn business make things even worse.

my_friend_goo
03.01.2012, 11:47 PM
Riggo, if Snyder was still calling the shots, surely Shanny would have been fired by now? I know it's hard to trust him and admittedly I still can't, but we don't really have much choice but to give him benefit of the doubt.

McNabb aside, the Redskins have been particularly shrewd on the trade and contract front since Shanahan and Allen came to town.

The Giants essentially gave up a 3rd rounder and future 1st and 5th rounder to the Chargers to trade up from #4 to #1 in 2004 - what price would you put on a franchise QB (which the Redskins CLEARLY need)?

Who knows what will happen in Free Agency - both in terms of the direction the Redskins and other teams go in. That will undoubtedly affect the draft, possibly positively, possibly negatively. But all we can do is wait and see.

brave on the warpath
04.01.2012, 10:54 AM
As the season has gone on i've become more and more desparate for a qb, if we can trade up for luck or rg3 then i say do it. But if we cant then i'd like to see us take a cb who can actually shut down recievers rather than hanging 3 yards of them hoping for a pick or a top wr to target. I'd say the o line havn't done to badly recently so i wouldn't use te 1st rounder on one of them

wuds100
05.01.2012, 05:04 PM
If Manning is cut and his health is deemed OK then I would take him in a heartbeat,
I cant understand all the negative vibes about him on other forums though I would wonder go any
higher than say a 5th for him if the Colts try to get something for him.
On Luck I think two 1st rounders and 2012 3rd and 4th rounders with 2013 2nd and 5th rounders would be the ceiling for trading up though I would expect the Colts not to budge on anything less than three 1st rounders with added picks on top.
No to trading up for RG3 but yes if he is there at 6 if not then probably a Tackle or trade back.

Riggo
07.01.2012, 01:49 AM
How long can Dan Snyder go without making a headline move? He must be getting itchy.

I expect fireworks in a bid to get a QB, but the fireworks will be the kind that backfire.

my_friend_goo
07.01.2012, 04:16 PM
How long can Dan Snyder go without making a headline move? He must be getting itchy.

I expect fireworks in a bid to get a QB, but the fireworks will be the kind that backfire.

Well, trading up for whichever QB the Colts don't take will qualify as a headline move, but what other choice do they have? This is why FA is going to be so interesting - if the Browns remove themselves out of contention by picking somebody up at this stage, then in theory that QB could fall to the Redskins. Then again, the Seahawks, Dolphins and the Chiefs may all be interested at the very least, so it may require a trade up anyway. Whoever it is Shanahan wants, he has to get him. Right now, Luck and RGIII are the best options (not buying into Flynn on the limited evidence) and if that continues to be the case after the senior bowl or combine, the Skins can't afford to take one.

Just out of interest, if the headline-grabbing move fills you with such dread, what would you do in Mike's situation?