PDA

View Full Version : Visiting Atlanta

Sa14
06.01.2012, 02:12 PM
Any of you guys been to atlanta? whats the place like to visit? Been to a Falcons game??

steven a h
06.01.2012, 08:05 PM
went to atlanta to the eagles game this year and it was great. also a week in tampa for the buccs falcons game.lots to see in atlanta the zoo the aquarium world of coca cola atlanta history centre natural history museum cnn centre olymic park also drove up to buford to the mall of georgia good day out.lots of good places to eat. syayed near lindburgh centre which was great for using marta trains used it for the game so handy.

steven a h
06.01.2012, 08:10 PM
visit falconsukwebs google it for falcons fans in uk and you can see photos of trips and notes

Sa14
06.01.2012, 09:04 PM
visit falconsukwebs google it for falcons fans in uk and you can see photos of trips and notes

brilliant thanks!

Devilfalc
14.01.2012, 09:22 AM
I would recommend the acquarium and the Martin Luther King Historical District - although the historcial district is in a run down bit of town. If you want great food beer, try the Brickstore in Decatur .

As Stevemn suggested, find a hotel near a MARTA light rail tation, as the trains are very useful. The city is very spread out, so using cabs can be expensive if you aren't near a marta station. The trains are a very easy way to get too and from the GA Dome.

On gameday, go straight to gate E, at basement level. The players and staff leave the stadium at gate E after the game, and some will stop to chat and sign a few autographs. It's a bit of a scrum to get pictures etc. but worth it. The player picks that I posted on the falconsukwebs site are taken at gate. E.

mike_vick7
16.01.2012, 11:33 AM
You gotta go to Phillips arena its awesome. Theres a great little bar and grill around the corner from it to, which leads directly into the stores area in the arena. And MARTA is totally awesome, best way to get around in the ATL.

Devilfalc
17.01.2012, 11:37 PM
You gotta go to Phillips arena its awesome. Theres a great little bar and grill around the corner from it to, which leads directly into the stores area in the arena. And MARTA is totally awesome, best way to get around in the ATL.

Dantanna's?

Domed Outter
12.02.2012, 11:57 PM
I'll be over there hopefully in september. Perhaps with the scheduling it'll work out that I can get to more than one

steven a h
15.02.2012, 02:45 PM
hoping to getg to atlanta in september as well for a game

ATLFalcon
15.02.2012, 07:13 PM
I can see the Georgia Dome from where I live each day where I'm at in Atlanta. I agree with the above posts in that Atlanta is a spread out town. There's a lot you can see and do while you are here (http://www.citypass.com/atlanta/things-to-do-atlanta).

I'll agree that the best advice is to get a hotel near where a Marta station is. Maybe you should see about staying at the Omni Hotel (http://www.omnihotels.com/findahotel/atlantacnncenter.aspx)? I think that would be an awesome central location to get to a lot of your destinations relatively easy using Marta rather wasting money on cabs which quickly adds up.

There was a guy from the UK who messaged me last year who did it right. He went to 3 games while here Georgia vs. Auburn, Georgia Tech vs. Virginia Tech, and then Falcons vs Saints. Now that's the way to do it imo. Anyway, if possible, I'd try to snag tickets for a GT game as the college experience can be a lot of fun and their campus is in downtown Atlanta. You may get a chance to see Francis Kallon play who will be a incoming freshman from England.

I think finally I'd make sure to ask the concierge at whatever hotel you are staying at. They can help with planning things to do before you even set foot over here so you aren't wasting time.

Reuben414
16.02.2012, 07:35 PM
Was there in October and caught the Falcons play the Packers on a Sunday Night game. Aside from that it was the end of my three month road trip. Firstly I stayed out of the city in Marietta and visited the mall up there (saw a couple of Atlanta Hawks players) and a few other little things such as a gig in the eclectic Little 5 Points neighbourhood. Then after selling the car, headed into the city and stayed at the Quality Inn, which is real close to the Tabernacle Theatre. It was alright but nothing special, good location and value for money. The city its self is quite compact alot of attractions are around Centennial Park, such as Coca Cola World, Georgia Aquarium and CNN. The Georgia Dome is fairly close to there as well. In all Atlanta was a cool place but it's not the sort of place you could take a long holiday like New York, the main attractions can be done in a couple of days.

falcongirl75
02.05.2012, 07:21 PM
I can see the Georgia Dome from where I live each day where I'm at in Atlanta. I agree with the above posts in that Atlanta is a spread out town. There's a lot you can see and do while you are here (http://www.citypass.com/atlanta/things-to-do-atlanta).

I'll agree that the best advice is to get a hotel near where a Marta station is. Maybe you should see about staying at the Omni Hotel (http://www.omnihotels.com/findahotel/atlantacnncenter.aspx)? I think that would be an awesome central location to get to a lot of your destinations relatively easy using Marta rather wasting money on cabs which quickly adds up.

There was a guy from the UK who messaged me last year who did it right. He went to 3 games while here Georgia vs. Auburn, Georgia Tech vs. Virginia Tech, and then Falcons vs Saints. Now that's the way to do it imo. Anyway, if possible, I'd try to snag tickets for a GT game as the college experience can be a lot of fun and their campus is in downtown Atlanta. You may get a chance to see Francis Kallon play who will be a incoming freshman from England.

I think finally I'd make sure to ask the concierge at whatever hotel you are staying at. They can help with planning things to do before you even set foot over here so you aren't wasting time.

Is it easy to get to Georgia Techs stadium? I'm hoping to get over in September to see the Braves at Turner Field and see the Falcons game against the Broncos. I think a GT game fits in over the same weekend which would make a great and worthwhile trip.

Went to a Falcons game at the Dome a few years ago and really want to make a return trip. Might only be a long weekend but will be very worthwhile if I can get to a few events.

ATLFalcon
03.05.2012, 12:41 PM
Is it easy to get to Georgia Techs stadium? I'm hoping to get over in September to see the Braves at Turner Field and see the Falcons game against the Broncos. I think a GT game fits in over the same weekend which would make a great and worthwhile trip.

Went to a Falcons game at the Dome a few years ago and really want to make a return trip. Might only be a long weekend but will be very worthwhile if I can get to a few events.

I'm not sure which hotel you are staying at. So, I used the CNN hotel from my example above and plugged it in google maps - http://g.co/maps/2fgge. So, here you can see that it's only 2 miles from the hotel to Georgia Tech's campus and you could walk to it rather than take a cab.

Also, Marta usually is great for doing anything in downtown Atlanta. Downtown Atlanta traffic can be a combination of miserable, confusing and downright dangerous especially during rush hour. So, getting back to Marta, here are some links I found that talk about taking Marta to Georgia Tech's campus that may help.

http://pts.gatech.edu/ride/metro_transit/Pages/MARTA.aspx
http://answers.yahoo.com/question/index?qid=20090816141816AAlBRs0
http://talk.collegeconfidential.com/georgia-institute-technology/745481-walking-midtown-marta-georgia-tech.html

As I mentioned earlier, most hotels are very good at trying to coordinate with you on how to get to certain places. I would try to avoid the cabs if I could because they can become quite pricey. Try to either walk or take Marta first.

Let me know out here if you have anymore questions.

falcongirl75
05.05.2012, 05:47 PM
Thanks very much for your help!

Domed Outter
04.09.2012, 04:11 PM
Will be staying at the Sheraton Downtown for the week 2 game against the Broncos.

Maybe see some of you there!

falcongirl75
08.09.2012, 04:57 PM
Will be staying at the Sheraton Downtown for the week 2 game against the Broncos.

Maybe see some of you there!

Very envious! Got room for a stowaway?

Decent hotel too, and only a short walk from the Dome, stayed there a few years ago.

Domed Outter
09.09.2012, 04:57 AM
Very envious! Got room for a stowaway?

Decent hotel too, and only a short walk from the Dome, stayed there a few years ago.

Possibly. PM sent.

Cheers,

Lee.

dopeonarope10
09.09.2012, 07:01 PM
Been to Atlanta on numerous occasions its a great town but like all American cities you need to be sensible and know that there are areas that you do not want to visit.The Dome is easy to find and the tailgating is good.The Marta is a good way to get around.I f you are hiring a car try and get to Macon its Old Time America the one us Brits have in our imagination Main Street,Ice Cream parlours,people saying Hi in the street and Duane Allman is buried there

Domed Outter
09.11.2012, 01:41 PM
I was only in Atlanta for a couple of days. Stayed Downtown for the trip, but next time i'll venture out to Midtown and Buckhead.

Work-permitting, i'll be back for a game before feb.

rebelwithacause
09.11.2012, 06:20 PM
If you want a great college football experience, Clemson University is only two hours north of Atlanta by interstate. Autumn is very beautiful in that part of the country.

Dartmoor Falcon
09.11.2012, 07:07 PM
Interesting info there, thanks for sharing, now to work on the mrs. ;)