PDA

View Full Version : My ideal off-season

Gman84
07.01.2012, 07:27 PM
Re-sign London Fletcher, Fred Davis, Will Montgomery, Adam Carriker, Kory Lichtensteiger, Rex Grossman, Reed Doughty and tag LaRon Landry.

Pretty much in priority order, LF and FD are the two most important for me, I'd love to have Monty back in the mix for the starting OL jobs but there are options in free agency if he goes elsewhere. Carriker has been a nice solid addition since he got here and I think he deserves a long term deal, my slight worry is he was a top ten pick in a time before the rookie wage curb and his demands might echo what he got as a rookie. I wouldn't pay him much more than we paid Bowen last year. KL comes back to compete on a short term deal as he has to show he's over his injury. Grossman back as the #2 QB behind Flynn and LL tagged but no long term commitment at this point. Happy to have Reed back for depth.

Sign as free agents: Matt Flynn, Marques Colston, Chris Myers, Brandon Carr, Bryan Thomas.

If Flynn is franchised then this changes but otherwise I think we can offer him what he is looking for in terms of money and a starting opportunity. Colston would be a new shiny toy for him to throw too, Myers upgrades the interior of the OL and is from the right type of system, Carr is a quality starting corner who gives us an upgrade and with Hall and Wilson improves depth. Bryan Thomas missed most of the year with injury but I'd have him on a short term deal to give the pass rush some situational options.

Draft: Trade down from 6, take Tannehill mid to late first round, draft OL, DL and CB in rounds 2-4, add ILB, S, RB and more line competition in the later rounds.

We get anywhere close to this I'll be super-excited going into the 2012 season.

my_friend_goo
09.01.2012, 12:45 PM
I got called naive for thinking Flynn might be allowed to walk, but that was by somebody who says so much that he thinks he's right because he's covering the odds :)

I know Flynn has filled in admirably for Rodgers, but he's done it twice and there isn't a huge amount to go on otherwise. Granted, that's more NFL experience than a top draft prospect, but I'm still nervous about the idea. He could be the next Schaub, be he could equally be the next Kolb.

Little by little, certain things happen which affect the future and it's important to keep an eye on them. Shanahan is coaching the South in this year's senior bowl. Last year, Marvin Lewis and his staff got to meet and spend time with Andy Dalton. Look how that worked out.

Maybe, if they find a guy they like there and Flynn is obtainable without too risky an investment (I agree it's unlikely Green Bay will just let him walk, but it depends on who else they have to deal with), they might go down that route. If they don't make a move for Flynn or somebody else in free agency, they're either in love with RGIII or honestly believe somebody else will be there in one of the first two rounds that they can get later on.

Whatever they do, I sure as hell hope they make the right move.

Gman84
09.01.2012, 02:18 PM
There's two issues for the Pack franchising Flynn. First up it ties up an awful lot of cap room. Between him and Rodgers they'd have about 1/6th of their cap tied up in two players. The other issue is they have Finley as a free agent, he's a pretty important player and costs a lot less to franchise and keep off the market.

It depends if they can get Finlay tied up before free agency I guess, if not they have a tough choice to make. If they franchise Flynn it depends what type of compensation they are looking for. If they want something similar to what Schuab moved on for (two 2nd rounders) or a bit less they might have a market off someone like the Browns who have picks to play with but the likes of the Redskins and Miami, even the Seahawks aren't going to part with their high first rounder.

If he's franchised I'd actually cross him off the list unless the price is extremely cheap like a 4th rounder (could send the one we got for Campbell off the Raiders) and a conditional future pick (no higher than a 2nd in '13 and only then if he does something like take 80% of offensive snaps and leads the team to post season).

Also, it's worth remembering if the Pack don't franchise him and he leaves for a big money deal they'll likely get a compensation pick in 2013. Those picks are based on money paid to the free agent so it would likely be a 3rd or 4th rounder.

Harwich Hog
13.01.2012, 01:34 PM
It's mental really but such will be the clamber for Flynn I think he can seek assurances from the team that signs him that he will be THE guy. That means I can't see him agreeing to go somewhere where the team drafts a QB in the first round.

If we sign Flynn I think we take Blackmon or Claibourne at #6 and take an OT at #41.

What I think will happen though is a trade along the lines of #6, #70, one of our 4th rounders and our 2013 1st rounder to jump up to #2 and take Robert Griffin.

Either way I think we'll take a run at the best receiver available in FA, whether that's Bowe. At this point i'd take Bowe over Colston because Bowe has shown he can excel with a rubbish QB throwing him the ball. The QB situation in Kansas City isn't likely to improve drastically this off-season so I think Bowe may test the waters.

Riggo
19.01.2012, 10:14 PM
So Flynn plays one game for the Packers and now he's the Redskin's saviour?

Gman84
20.01.2012, 03:22 PM
So Flynn plays one game for the Packers and now he's the Redskin's saviour?

I think I've covered this in other posts but will go through my opinion again here.

Flynn's started two games for the Pack and looked good in both of them. Yes, the Packers have some great skills players to help him and a very solid system that has worked for them for years. At the same time they have a proven track record of producing/developing excellent NFL QB's. Favre and Rodgers obviously but the likes of Mark Brunell, Aaron Rodgers and Matt Hasselbeck served their times as back-ups in Green Bay before going on to have very good careers (Brunell and Hass were still in the league last year and Hass still playing at a pretty solid level).

The system the Redskins run is based around the WCO such as the Pack run so Flynn will be familiar with that.

I've also been clear that I would hedge the bet and draft a QB reasonably high up so if FLynn were signed and flopped someone is being brought along and developed ready to take their chance.

Getting a new QB is the top priority for this team but the options are limited. They either trade up for one of Luck or RGIII or take a chance on Flynn. Outside of that it's Manning if he gets let go (I don't think he does) who is a great player but a serious injury risk and will cost a shed load of dollars or the likes of Kyle Orton, Vince Young or *gulp* Jason Campbell.

For me, Flynn is the best choice in that as long as the Packers don't franchise him it's just a contract and our top pick can be used for help elsewhere whilst we can also get another body in for options/the future.

It's risky, but every move this team can potentially make for a new QB is a risk.

Gman84
22.01.2012, 11:49 AM
As it is our chances of acquiring Flynn just dropped dramatically with Philbin getting the Dolphins HC gig.

Harwich Hog
26.01.2012, 12:57 PM
As it is our chances of acquiring Flynn just dropped dramatically with Philbin getting the Dolphins HC gig.

Yeah I was hoping he'd go to the Browns :rolleyes:

pj
26.01.2012, 02:22 PM
I'm not entirely against the prospect of adding Flynn but id prefer they target someone in the draft.
I'd also avoid Colston, while hes better than what is on the roster I don't think he would have a big of an impact away from the Saints. If they were to target a FA WR it would have to be Bowe for me but again I think its best targeting one in the draft as there are quite a few solid players that will be available in the later round and FA WRs rarely do well after moving.

Gman84
26.01.2012, 09:01 PM
I like Tannehill a lot but I think his bust foot plays into our hands and we might be able to snatch him at the top of round 2. If we're stuck in a situation where Flynn goes elsewhere and Luck and Griffin are off the board I bring back Rex, add someone like Orton, try and get Tannehill then add another rookie in the 4th or 5th. I like Russell Wilson a lot, bar his height he's got all you look for in a QB.

Harwich Hog
27.01.2012, 09:01 AM
So you'd have Rex, Orton, Tannehill and Wilson? Or 3 out of the 4?

I'd certainly keep Rex. Then have a high drafted guy and a mouldable low-round prospect. The Matt Flynn to your Brian Brohm (something I heard and liked the sound of).

I've not really done my homework but I would target wide receivers that are productive without legit QBs. That goes for free agents and draftees. Bowe certainly fits that. Not sure of any guys in the draft.

Gman84
27.01.2012, 09:05 PM
So you'd have Rex, Orton, Tannehill and Wilson? Or 3 out of the 4?

I'd certainly keep Rex. Then have a high drafted guy and a mouldable low-round prospect. The Matt Flynn to your Brian Brohm (something I heard and liked the sound of).

I've not really done my homework but I would target wide receivers that are productive without legit QBs. That goes for free agents and draftees. Bowe certainly fits that. Not sure of any guys in the draft.

Add Weeden into that possible mix. But yes, take 4 guys to camp. Cut the loser, if it's the lower round rookie he can go on the PS squad. We need competition, we need potential but we also need to be competitive. If the safe bets at the top end of the draft aren't attainable then let's increase our chances with a bigger pool of competition.