PDA

View Full Version : Koetter new OC

ianuk
15.01.2012, 04:44 PM
NFL reporting that former Jaguars OC Dirk Koetter has been hired as the new OC.

http://www.nfl.com/news/story/09000d5d82604c05/article/falcons-hire-former-jaguars-assistant-koetter-as-new-oc?module=HP11_headline_stack

I find it a very strange appointment considering what was said by A. Blank, T, Dimitrioff and M.Smith midweek at their press conference. Rumours had been circulating that Brian Billick had been interviewed and Permssion sought to interview Tom Clements who would both have been better choices in my opinion but we have to give the guy a chance.

This appointment is clearly Mike Smith bringing in another friend and questions must be asked if the Falcons do not improve next season how much longer does Smith get.

PavlovsDog
15.01.2012, 05:22 PM
The news no Atlanta fan wanted, NFL reporting that former Jaguars OC has been hired as the new OC.

http://www.nfl.com/news/story/09000d5d82604c05/article/falcons-hire-former-jaguars-assistant-koetter-as-new-oc?module=HP11_headline_stack

How can this guy be chosen ahead of Billick and Clements. This proves everything said in last weeks press conference was to appease the fans anger.

Atlanta are now Jacksonville MK2.

Anyone think that I am being a little to harsh? I know we have to give the guy a chance but I am fed up with former Jags personnel/ Smith's friends being appointed. The Jags Offense under him was 32nd.

The 32nd ranked offense was ranked so low arguably due to a lack of talent, rather than coaching.

Ryan>>>Gabbert
Turner and MJD are pretty much a wash (I'd argue a slight advantage to MJD, but I'm biased)
White>>>>>>>>>>>Thomas
Jones>>>>>>>>>>>Shorts
Douglas>>>>>>>>>Dillard
Whoever your 4th and 5th guys are must surely be better than ours too.
Gonzalez>Lewis

Not sure about your O Line, to be honest, but the point I'm making is that Koetter will have much more to work with than before.

It's quite ironic that Falcons fans are upset about this switch, while many Jaguars fans are uninspired by us hiring to of your guys in Mularkey and Bratkowski(sp?)

Essentially, it could be a case that a change of scenery will do them all some good. Plus the fact that our offensive development is at a different stage to yours - maybe these hires don't seem so great based on recent history, but they might be the right choices based on the different priorities of each team, if that makes sense.

ianuk
16.01.2012, 09:34 AM
You made some good points regarding the talent Koetter had to work with. I think a lot of the dissapointment had to do with some of the names being banded about (Billick, Clements etc) and with the talent on our Offense this was the top OC vacancy. The mid week press conference didn't help when it was stated a complete overall would take place (21 free agents only resigning 8 and two coordinator vacancies) and then they make a move which looks as though Smith is appointing friends again.

A few seasons ago he seemed to be highly regarded and being interviewed for head coaching positions. I just hope that it was down to the talent on the Jacksonville Offense and this appointment turns out like Mike McCarthy when he switched from San Francisco to Green Bay.

Vincent
16.01.2012, 07:06 PM
The last season was an aberration for Koetter, was like a perfect storm of crapness for an OC. New QB forced on him, working on a one year deal under a lame duck HC, nothing at WR. Koetter will be just fine working with the talent you guys have.