PDA

View Full Version : Graham Gano

Little General
25.01.2012, 04:49 PM
I know he set the franchise record this year on a 59 yard fg, but i think he's a below average kicker. and is not consistant on all place kicking.

What's everyones thoughts on him?

my_friend_goo
25.01.2012, 08:33 PM
31 out of 41 on FGs places him 30th out of 33 kickers to attempt more than 15 during the season and is not an acceptable figure. However, 5 of those were blocks. Sure, maybe he kicks with a low trajectory, but they can't all be on him. 31 out of 36 that weren't blocked is pretty damned good I'd say. If he'd hit on 3 out of 5 of those blocked kicks (not an unreasonable figure), he'd have been middle of the pack of the kickers in the league.

Likewise, he kicked off 73 times, with 32 touchbacks, with a near-league low of 20.8 yards average on returns and a poor 3 out of bounds kicks.

There's a vocal group on the Extremeskins messageboard wanting Special Teams coach Danny Smith fired because of the 5 blocked kicks and insistence on directional kickoffs (but, they won't get their way this year, he's apparently highly regarded by the people who count).

Gano has by no means secured a place on the team, but I don't want to see them give up on him. They need to bring in some genuine, experienced competition in camp, like they did with Shayne Graham last year, whilst fixing the Special Teams problems.

Gman84
25.01.2012, 10:05 PM
He's a RFA so he should be back but he needs to be challenged again in camp and is probably on a shorter leash next season. However, I'd be wary of giving up too early as we've had enough kicking issues without missing out on another David Akers.

I do agree with the concerns over Danny Smith but our special teams just seems inconsistent - one year we'll be great on returns poor on coverage, the following year it's vice versa.

Harwich Hog
26.01.2012, 12:50 PM
There's talk that we're interested in Prater who made a number of clutch kicks for Denver this year.

I suspect he'll be too expensive to bring in as just "competition" for Gano.

Little General
26.01.2012, 04:58 PM
the extra points he missed this year was pretty alarming.

Harwich Hog
26.01.2012, 06:04 PM
the extra points he missed this year was pretty alarming.

I'm curious whose fault they were. Gano's or the blocking team. I thought the blocking team at the time.

Riggo
26.01.2012, 08:18 PM
I wouldn't cut him right out. Bring in some competition for training camp and find out who you like better.

NEVER make a big FA signing for a kicker and never draft one.