PDA

View Full Version : If we're beaten to Luck and Griffin III...

Harwich Hog
26.01.2012, 01:33 PM
Since the off-season is full of speculation I thought i'd play along.

Let's be hypothetical and say the Colts draft Andrew Luck and the Browns trade up to #2 and take Griffin III. Let's take it a bit further and say that Flynn has been signed by the Dolphins. The Vikings take Kalil with #3. Rams take Blackmon at 4. Tampa taking Claiborne at 5.

The QB situation remains unsolved. What should the Redskins do?

--------------------

I would trade back to a team keen on Trent Richardson - let's say Arizona at 13. Redskins get #13, (and because it's my game) AZ's 3rd and 4th round selections and a second rounder in 2013.

Take Tannehill at #13 which I admit is still a reach but addresses QB and gives us more picks and ammunition to target other players we're keen on (perhaps even trade back up into the first round who knows.

End result
Redskins have Tannehill
2nd round - Pick 7
3rd round - Pick 6, 17
4th round - Pick 7, 14, 17
5th round - Pick 6
7th round - Pick 6

And AZ's 2013 second rounder, NE's 2013 fifth rounder and Minnesota's 2013 sixth rounder.

Note: Just a bit of fun. I appreciate Arizona don't have a second rounder in 2012, so they're unlikely to want to part with their third and fourth rounders too. Just fitted my trading-down illustration.

pj
26.01.2012, 02:12 PM
If it were to play out as you say I would hope they find a way to trade down to the 10-15 range picking up another 2nd rounder.

1- DeCastro (Floyd if he's already been taken)
2a- Best OT available
2b- Weeden

Weeden may be 28 but could come in and start right away and I think would be the best option should they miss out on the top 2 and Tannehill goes in the first. If Tannehill was there with the first pick in the 2nd then id take him instead, it's unlikely but he might fall due to the injury.

If the trade back isn't an option id be ok with them taking DeCastro at 6 unless either Nicks or Grubbs had been signed in FA.

Little General
26.01.2012, 04:48 PM
Peyton Manning anyone?

ESPN BLOG (http://espn.go.com/blog/nfceast/post/_/id/35468/manning-could-make-sense-for-redskins)

Harwich Hog
26.01.2012, 05:51 PM
Not for me.

I like the under-the-radar approach the Redskins have adopted in the last 18 months. Signing Manning would undo it all in a heartbeat. We'd have him for 2 seasons and then be worrying about the position in 2014. I'd prefer to suck a bit longer if that what it takes...

Little General
26.01.2012, 11:03 PM
Not for me.

I like the under-the-radar approach the Redskins have adopted in the last 18 months. Signing Manning would undo it all in a heartbeat. We'd have him for 2 seasons and then be worrying about the position in 2014. I'd prefer to suck a bit longer if that what it takes...

Patience is a virtue don't ya Know.

2 seasons might give us a winning season for a change.might be better options in 2014 for QB'S? then again who know's what's on offer in 2014?

That's the gamble
http://w.entertainers.co.uk/star-comedians/star-comedians-images/jim-bowen/jimbowen.jpg

Harwich Hog
27.01.2012, 08:54 AM
True. Jim Bowen - hero :D

I guess that's just it. There seems to be two legit, relatively attainable, QB prospects in this draft. We also don't have too many holes outside of QB. It's worth pointing out as well that we already have two extra draft picks in 2013 so I wouldn't be surprised if we trade some future picks.

I want Robert Griffin III. Perhaps more than Luck. I just think the Shanahans can turn him into something amazing. I don't think think Peyton and the Shanahans would work. Luck could work - I just have my heart set on RG3.

I guess the purpose of this thread is to find some solace in case the Browns pip us to him.

Boltonian
27.01.2012, 10:06 AM
With the Skins being over $40m under the cap i am hoping we sign some good
quality non star players to fill the holes at RT, LG, WR, NT and CB, then we can
use our top couple of picks to move up for RG111. Also i would let Landry walk
because he is not having the operation he needs and place the Franchise tag on
Fred Davis and see if he stay clean.

HTTR

pj
27.01.2012, 11:35 AM
Peyton Manning anyone?

ESPN BLOG (http://espn.go.com/blog/nfceast/post/_/id/35468/manning-could-make-sense-for-redskins)

It's not my first choice, but I wouldn't be totally against it as I don't think like many others do that it would set the team back a long way provided they bring in a young QB as well.

If they were to get him and pick up one of the top FA guards then they could draft maybe Blackmon, Floyd (after a trade down) or one of the top OTs, then go after Tannehill or Foles in the second. I think that would put them in a pretty good position and wouldn't require trading away picks which a lot are concerned about.

The only issue is that Manning has never seemed interested in mentoring a young QB (shown by the mess they were in this year) so is there any chance of that changing or would they be back to square 1 in 2-3 years time?

St.Dave
28.01.2012, 08:46 AM
Really think we'll trade up for RG3, cannot see Payton coming to the skin. For me he wouldnt want to play in the same div as Eli and think he'd look to go to a dome team. Also think he'd need full control of the O and I cant see Kyle passing that over!
The worry is that this draft was looking QB heavy and now doesnt look as strong as we thought.
Would hate to do another season with Rex as first choice, I'd like to see us go aggressive for RG and then build the cast around him. We have many good young players like Helu, Royster, Kerrigan etc. Davies, Williams and Hightower will be back with maybe Dirty 30 if his fitness is sorted. The future is not as bleak as the scores suggest and I think we have a good coaching set up if they can manage the clock, no huddle offence and other simple errors that crept in last season.

HTTR

Gman84
01.02.2012, 04:01 PM
Anothe FA to possibly consider - David Garrard.

my_friend_goo
01.02.2012, 07:03 PM
If Shanahan wants Griffin, there's a strong chance they'll get him. If the Browns want competition for rather than an outright replacement for McCoy, they'll likely take themselves out of the running in Free Agency. If that guy happens to be somebody other than Flynn, yet another team will likely remove themselves from contention (especially the Packers are able to trade Flynn). Peyton Manning becoming available would probably further reduce number (even if he goes to the Jets, they could ship of Sanchez to another team needing a quarterback).

Although I'll admit to having a man-crush on RG3 (or at least the idea of him), I still want to see that he measures up at the combine (an event which may also improve the stock of some of the other guys out there).

I can't wait to see where this all goes (and I'm hoping the outcome means joy for us long-suffering fans. All I can say is that I'm sure glad of the distraction of impending fatherhood to help pass the time :)

the over-the-hill fan
02.02.2012, 11:04 AM
Being that far under the cap I'm surprised no-one has imagined Snyder having a stab at getting Peyton in to mentor RGIII. :D :D

I really hope Sanchez does not end up in DC !!

EDIT: I actually think there is a slim chance of Andrew Luck not going first. If that happens there will be carnage in the draft war rooms and St Louis will be rubbing their hands together as they see the future picks pile up.