PDA

View Full Version : Riggo's Rag

Crazy87
22.02.2012, 01:17 AM
Hey there Redskins fans...

I don't know if you've heard of this blog site called Riggo's Rag, but I write articles for them as their "UK Correspondent". During the offseason, there's relatively little to post about so I suggested to the chief editor, that I would interview a few British Redskins fans to get the general opinion of things leading up to the draft.

I've quickly knocked up a few questions and would appreciate any/some/all of you jotting down some answers/opinions that I can then turn into an article for the site.

If you want to take part, you can either copy and paste the questions into your reply and add your answers, or if you don't want them public, drop me a private message. Your replies would be much appreciated.

1. How long have you been supporting the Redskins?

2. What made you choose the Redskins as your team?

3. Who is your favourite Redskin of all time?

4. How responsible is Dan Snyder for the lack of success over the last 20 years since we last won the Super Bowl?

5. What do you think of the direction the Redskins are heading under Shanahan/Allen?

6. Give me two main reasons for the Redskins' struggles this past season?

7. Give me three priorities (in order) the Redskins need to address in free agency and the draft.

8. Who is your #1 free agent target?

9. What do you think the Redskins should do in the draft, trade up/stay put/trade down?

10. Who do you think we should pick in the draft?

11. What is your prediction for the Redskins in 2012 in terms of end of season record?

12. How many wins do we need for Shanahan to keep his job beyond 2012?

Many thanks and keep your eyes posted on the site. I'll let you know when the article is up there.

Nick

Boltonian
22.02.2012, 10:58 PM
Here's my go crazy87,

1, 1984
2, The team colours
3, Randy Thomas
4, He is the main problem but is hopefully getting better.
5, We are on the right track, and 47m under the cap will help aswell.
6, Grossman and no playmakers.
7, RT, LG and WR
8, Ben Grubbs(LG-Ravens).
9, Trade up.
10, RG111
11, 9-7
12, 9.

Harwich Hog
23.02.2012, 03:49 PM

Since the 5-11 2006 season.

I had followed the NFL since about 2001 without choosing a favourite team. My father had been a Redskins fan since the 1970s and I always followed them so I could talk to him about them. Sometime during the Dallas game at Fedex field with the blocked field goal, Sean Taylor return, facemask penalty and 47-yd Novak field goal I decided the Redskins were my team too.

London Fletcher.

4. How responsible is Dan Snyder for the lack of success over the last 20 years since we last won the Super Bowl?

I think he is partially but not completely responsible. I think so much has to go right for a team to win a Championship. When you have a guy at the top with the wrong attitude it has to affect the players and coaching staff, making it very difficult to have success. I'm optimistic about the new approach since Shanahan's arrival.

5. What do you think of the direction the Redskins are heading under Shanahan/Allen?

I am really encouraged by the direction of the team under Mike Shanahan and Bruce Allen. It goes further than the wins and losses. It's also the approach to free agency, draft evaluation, fan-experience etc. The club is beginning to feel like a proper organisation again.

Turnover ratio. Injuries.

7. Give me three priorities (in order) the Redskins need to address in free agency and the draft.

QB/WR/OL.

Dwayne Bowe. I think Bowe has demonstrated in Kansas City he can be an outstanding receiver, despite a dearth of talent throwing him the ball. He is the perfect player to help along a rookie quarterback.

9. What do you think the Redskins should do in the draft, trade up/stay put/trade down?

I think the Redskins should be aggressive and attempt to trade up to #2 pick for Robert Griffin III. The front office have done an excellent job of acquiring extra picks in this year and next year's draft, which I think will lighten the burden of losing the package of picks it will take to move up.

Robert Griffin III. I think between Moss, Gaffney, Hankerson, Paul and hopefully a big name free agent wide receiver - we won't have to devote any picks to receivers. With the remaining picks I would like to see offensive line, linebacker and secondary addressed.

11. What is your prediction for the Redskins in 2012 in terms of end of season record?

8-8. I think our defense will win us alot of games. If the rookie QB can make some plays and get used to running a proficient offence, the team can be very competitive.

I think 2013 will be Shanahan's critical year. 2012 will be about exposing the rookie QB to life in the NFL. I don't think you can expect too much from a QB until his sophomore season.

my_friend_goo
23.02.2012, 08:33 PM

For as many of my 30 years as I'm capable of remembering.

They were my father's choice (claimed because of an interest in American Indians), I used to sit on his knee and watch the shows on Channel 4 in the 80s. No other team was an option!

Darrell Green, the best defensive back of my lifetime (Deion Sanders can p*** off!)

Well, you can't blame him for the years between Gibbs retiring and him buying the team. He then fired Casserly and Turner, bringing in Schottenheimer (a good move). From then on, he made some very stupid mistakes - namely firing Schottenheimer, bringing back Vinny Cerrato and then sticking with him for so long. He gets 100% of the blame for all of that. I'll give him some credit though - Gibbs would have worked better with a proper GM making personnel decisions and his most recent moves (see below) deserve credit.

They seem to have built soild depth throughout (with some future young stars). This offseason is the key to Shanahan's tenure. Get it right, and the team will definitely be a competitior for years to come. I've heard the Redskins' scouts are actually very good, it's just that their recommendations were ignored previously. It appears they're being listened to now, and I hope it pays off. Even if Shanahan ultimately fails, I'm still very happy with the approach they've taken.

Inconsistent quarterback play and the lack of a genuine receiving threat in the red zone.

QB,QB,QB (oh, and o-line/WR)

Dwayne Bowe, but it's unlikely he'll be available :(

Acquire RG3. As the chances of him being available at #6 are remote, guess that means trade up. If somehow they do acquire him at 6, I think I may explode with excitement!

RG3. I honestly believe that somebody with that much sporting talent matched with an excellent academic record and pedigree will not fail in the NFL through faults of his own. Know nothing about college, so I can't throw out any other names, but OL/WR/MLB/DB are all important.

Depends on the QB. My optimistic prediction is 7-9.

See 11. If he has a rookie QB, he can get away with 4-6 wins. If the Manning rumours are to be believed, he'd have to do a lot better. Fail on all fronts on the QB side of things and it'll be playoffs or a reputation in tatters.

pj
24.02.2012, 02:04 PM

Since the 2005 season

The way the team and in particular Moss, Portis and Taylor played encapsulated everything I love about the game.

Sean Taylor

He's definitely been a huge factor with numerous poor personnel decisions and too much influence over the players being brought in. It seems though that since Shanahan and Allen came in he is starting to realise what it takes to win and is taking more of a backseat which is promising.

While the results haven't been there so far I think the team is definitely heading in the right direction.They are bringing in the right types of player (excluding the McNabb deal) and gradually improving the talent and depth that has been missing for years. I've fully bought into the plan and hope Danny continues with his recent restraint and gives them the 4+ years they need to turn the team into a regular contender.

Rex Grossman, John Beck

QB
RT
OG

Nicks or Grubbs, i'd be delighted with either and with a RT hopefully coming somewhere in the draft the OL could go from being a huge weakness to a real strength.

I'd love to see RGIII brought in if they can make a deal with the Rams but if they are priced out of that by the Browns, trading back and picking up a RT and Weeden/Tannehill wouldn't be a bad consolation prize.

If RGIII isn't an option then Reiff

9-7 missing out on a wild card

7, as long as there is a young QB being groomed I think only a disaster would see Shanahan losing his job.

Crazy87
24.02.2012, 06:11 PM
Appreciate the responses so far...anyone else out there? Cheers.

Little General
25.02.2012, 03:02 PM
Hey there Redskins fans...

I don't know if you've heard of this blog site called Riggo's Rag, but I write articles for them as their "UK Correspondent". During the offseason, there's relatively little to post about so I suggested to the chief editor, that I would interview a few British Redskins fans to get the general opinion of things leading up to the draft.

I've quickly knocked up a few questions and would appreciate any/some/all of you jotting down some answers/opinions that I can then turn into an article for the site.

If you want to take part, you can either copy and paste the questions into your reply and add your answers, or if you don't want them public, drop me a private message. Your replies would be much appreciated.

1. How long have you been supporting the Redskins? 1983

2. What made you choose the Redskins as your team?They had a good team

3. Who is your favourite Redskin of all time?John Riggins

4. How responsible is Dan Snyder for the lack of success over the last 20 years since we last won the Super Bowl?Very

5. What do you think of the direction the Redskins are heading under Shanahan/Allen?backwards

6. Give me two main reasons for the Redskins' struggles this past season?QB & Kicking

7. Give me three priorities (in order) the Redskins need to address in free agency and the draft.QB,Kicker, Wide reciever

8. Who is your #1 free agent target?DeSean Jackson

Trade Up
10. Who do you think we should pick in the draft?RG III

9-7
12. How many wins do we need for Shanahan to keep his job beyond 2012?9

Many thanks and keep your eyes posted on the site. I'll let you know when the article is up there.

Nick

lochhibs
28.02.2012, 04:11 PM
1.early 80's
2.john riggins
3.john riggins
4.hugely responsible but i think hes seeing that now.hes allowing the experts in there field to do there jobs whilst he does what hes best at.
5.i like where were heading under shanahan and allen.the fact that the above is now happening is a big factor in this though.
6.an elite QB and inconsistency at RB.
7.QB,WR,and O-line.
8.vincent jackson
9.trade up
10.robert griffin III
11.8-8

RichieL
02.03.2012, 12:11 PM
Since 23rd October 1983

Watching my first NFL game on Channel 4. I decided to support whichever team lost & the Packers won 48-47. Of course the skins went 14-2 & to the Superbowl.

Dexter Manley

80% - Pains me to hear from people like Carlos Rogers that players look forward to getting out of Washington because of the atmosphere.

Ok - was hoping it was going to be a nice balance but Allen doesn't seem to have as much power as I'd hoped.

Offensive playcalling, poor leadership/ execution from QB play.

QB, OL, NT

If I can't have Brees I'll take Colston.

Trade up if they don't have a new QB by the time of the draft.

RG3 if they trade up.

9-7