PDA

View Full Version : Free Agency Thread

Caio
13.03.2012, 09:14 PM
Garcon and by the looks of it Josh Morgan, really happy with Garcon, 25 years old and put up some decent number last season with Orlovsky and Painter

Jack Presley
13.03.2012, 10:46 PM
It's been an up and down couple of days for the Redskins. RGIII, followed by the cap hit and now this good news. Carriker re-signing's a good move.

Jack Presley
13.03.2012, 10:49 PM
If Morgan and Royal both sign, that's the end of Santana Moss wouldn't you say (an a couple of the other WRs)?

size38waist
13.03.2012, 11:46 PM
Its quite a deal i see for Pierre Garcon! as someone who has only had 1 season watching NFL is this guy any good? incomparrision to our other WR's is he better? Have the Redskins made a good choice?

lochhibs
14.03.2012, 01:02 AM
Its quite a deal i see for Pierre Garcon! as someone who has only had 1 season watching NFL is this guy any good? incomparrision to our other WR's is he better? Have the Redskins made a good choice?
garcon is a good signing but im not convinced with morgan.would rather they had went after v jax though.

BAZILBARRY
14.03.2012, 12:06 PM
Perhaps I`m in a minority,but these WR signings don`t really excite me...guess I`ll just have to see how it pans out next season..

my_friend_goo
14.03.2012, 12:49 PM
Well, there's no arguing they've gotten younger at the receiver position, it's just a question of whether they've gotten any better.

Sure, the team are looking for big-play guys and it's my understanding that both Garcon and Morgan are fairly speedy guys (not 100% on this, though). Maybe in combination with RG3's deepball accuracy, we'll see the long touchdown pass plays that have largely eluded this team for some time.

However, with both players around 6 ft, whether they've addressed the far more important issue of getting the ball into endzone inside the red zone is another matter entirely. To me, this has been by far the biggest problem over the years, more so than big play ability. You won't win with poor red zone efficiency.

Time will tell, I guess, but I'll certainly be watching both players' highlight reels to see what they bring. If they don't work out, well it's only 3 drafts until they can pick up a future star receiver for RG3 to pass to..... (of course, I'm counting on Hank to be the guy long before then).

Any likelihood of VJax coming here was probably killed by the Robin Hood action of the league. In a way, I'm kind of glad of this. I guess I'm too used to the big-contract-low-production coveting of other team's stars and there are enough question marks surrounding him that unless he shines in Tampa, I'm not that bothered.

wuds100
14.03.2012, 03:44 PM
Maybe dodging the big name FAs will work again for us this year,
If Royal signs then it will be interesting to see what they do with Moss as
He wont save us much money by cutting him and neither would he net anything in a trade.

Jack Presley
15.03.2012, 08:34 PM
I'm not sure if I like this one.

http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/2012/football/nfl/03/15/brandon.meriweather.redskins.ap/index.html?sct=nfl_t2_a6

The_Hangman
15.03.2012, 08:36 PM
At the very worst, he's a healthier Landry.

BAZILBARRY
15.03.2012, 10:02 PM
I liked his sister when she was in Batman...oops,wrong Merriweather..
Hope he can regain some sort of form from a couple of seasons ago.

Harwich Hog
19.03.2012, 01:04 PM
I was hoping we would make a splash for Eric Winston. While disappointed that we didn't it's sort of re-assuring - Kyle would know all about him and knows whether he'd be worth the contract. He's obviously not. I'm also curious about the decision to release him in the first place. Very strange. I do think we need a FA OL signing. Somebody like Anthony Collins from the Bengals.

I'm happy with the Garcon and Morgan signings. Thought neither of them fit the mould of the kind of player I think we need and that's a true No.1 receiver, a la Vincent Jackson. I'm obviously more than happy to proven wrong. I'm intrigued about how the roster will look at WR. Garcon, Morgan, Moss, Gaffney, Hankerson, Paul? I really like Niles Paul. I'll be a bit upset if he's a casualty, especially at the expense of a FA that may not work out. I expect it certainly spells the end of Austin, Banks, Armstrong and Stallworth.

Reasonably content with the Cedric Griffin and Brandon Merriweather signings to replace Otogwe and Landry. With Doughty and Gomes still on the roster and a some attention paid to the position in the draft to give some depth - I think we'll be ok.

Big fan of the Grossman re-signing. I don't expect him to offer any real competition to start. But he has the ability - if the rookie gets injured - to win a few games and save the season becoming a complete train-wreck (see Indianapolis Colts - 2011 season).

Also happy with the Adam Carriker re-signing. With Cofield, Bowen, Jenkins, Neild I think we'll be set at DL.

I'm concerned that London Fletcher hasn't been extended yet :confused: I don't see how adequate draft resources can be spent on a starting-quality ILB, and i'm not too enthused by what is left available in free agency. I just hope it get's sorted soon.

As a result I expect our draft to be -

QB(2), OL(2), ILB, S, CB.

Jack Presley
19.03.2012, 01:08 PM
I see Rex has re-signed. I wonder will it be an open competition for the starter position....!!!!

brave on the warpath
19.03.2012, 07:16 PM
http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2012/03/17/redskins-cowboys-could-go-nuclear-over-cap-mess/
If this is true it sounds like dan and our good friends in dallas are prepared to screw the nfl even harder than they screwed us. I'd love for this to happen, but isn't it kind of like sueing your own employers? Who cares. F*** the league hail to he redskins

Harwich Hog
19.03.2012, 11:53 PM
The Cowboys and Redskins have a lot of leverage too. I'm not sure if it's still the case but Dallas and Washington are #1 and #2 on the turnover list and consequently contribute most to revenue sharing.

The NFL need to be very very careful.

Dee56
20.03.2012, 03:34 PM
Just read that Landry has signed for the Jets..
Not sure how i feel about it. He certainly was an impact player for us. But injuries have taken their toll in the last couple of seasons. It probably was the right time to part ways i suppose...

RichieL
21.03.2012, 11:15 AM
I read somewhere that the front office fell out with Landry over his continued refusal to have an op on his achilles, preferring to rehab it his way which resulted in him going on IR again last year. Never consistently produced and often injured. I'm not that bothered he is leaving.

Dee56
16.04.2012, 09:30 PM
Fletcher's finally re-signed..

I was starting to wonder if we were going to lose this guy..
Great news! :)

my_friend_goo
16.04.2012, 09:48 PM
Fletcher's finally re-signed..

I was starting to wonder if we were going to lose this guy..
Great news! :)

He didn't get a whole lot of interest from outside of the Redskins.

He was always of more value to the Redskins at whatever they were willing to pay for him than any other team at a higher price. That's no slight on Fletcher at all, I have nothing but respect and admiration for the guy and the way he plays, just the reality of the value of a 36 year-old in today's NFL.

Glad to have the unquestioned leader of the D back on board.

Dee56
17.04.2012, 06:53 AM
He didn't get a whole lot of interest from outside of the Redskins.

He was always of more value to the Redskins at whatever they were willing to pay for him than any other team at a higher price. That's no slight on Fletcher at all, I have nothing but respect and admiration for the guy and the way he plays, just the reality of the value of a 36 year-old in today's NFL.

Glad to have the unquestioned leader of the D back on board.

The rest of the NFL's loss. What he brings he leadership & heart can't be measured..

jklcan1
18.04.2012, 12:13 PM
Delighted that Fletcher will be back,the heart and soul of the team.

Gman84
18.04.2012, 06:08 PM
Redskins likely to trade Jabar Gaffney on draft day and save his $2.65m salary.

size38waist
22.04.2012, 08:13 AM
who will trade him? if we do get a trade it will prob be a 5th rounder

Harwich Hog
25.04.2012, 10:54 AM
If we get anything for him i'll be happy. I'm a big fan of him as a player. Not so big a fan of him as a person.

With the Free Agency signings it did seem there would be an odd man out.

Boltonian
25.04.2012, 10:59 AM
Kicker Neil Rackers signed as compertition for Gano.

Dee56
25.04.2012, 12:12 PM
Kicker Neil Rackers signed as compertition for Gano.

Good..
I don't think there's even a contest here. Gano is far too erratic for my liking. Needs to be replaced..

Little General
27.04.2012, 07:53 PM
Good..
I don't think there's even a contest here. Gano is far too erratic for my liking. Needs to be replaced..

my sentiments exactly, he is too erratic, but hey maybe some competition will bring out the best in him.

Dee56
28.04.2012, 08:54 AM
my sentiments exactly, he is too erratic, but hey maybe some competition will bring out the best in him.

If my memory serves me correctly. They made that mistake last off season. I think it would be easier just to show him the door..

Crazy87
05.05.2012, 04:01 PM
He always seems to beat out the competition in preseason then chokes when it matters. Last time he was perfect in the competition so I thought, great, he's finally got it. Then he's back to his old ways in games.

How old is Rackers though?

DEACON77
06.05.2012, 09:23 PM
Rackers was on good form last season and bagged loads of Fantasy points. Great pick up IMO!

As for the WR situation. Garcon is an excellent addition, Morgan is solid and Hankerson will really come on thanks to a full pre-season this year. Moss will still be in the slot this year so no worries there. Niles Paul is transitioning to TE as Cooley is not getting any younger and Fred has, well, issues.Another good move IMO as this allows greater versitily at WR and on Special teams.

My only concern is in the Secondary! The loss of Landry and Atogwe (although they didn't exactly perform last year) is going to be tough to replace. Something to be developed next year methinks. Although the acquisition of Chase Minnefield as an UDFA will be quite a steal! If he can prove his Fitness, this guy was a top 2 round Draft pick until his injury dropped his stock! He is a CB with considerable talent and could easily transition to Safety.

All in all, the team, despite the cap limitations, is looking far stronger than last year and definately heading in the right direction!

HTTR! :D

Dee56
14.05.2012, 04:24 PM
Hightower has resigned.

The backfield is shaping up nicely now. Good to have some experience to compliment the young guns...